Bourbon

Jimbaround

Saw this at DTO in Galveston a few days ago and gave it a try.

IMG-5053.jpg

Very smooth and enjoyable, but followed up with Blanton's, which I found to be much more complex and enjoyable. (I'm still rotating my way around many of the well known brands, trying to see what I enjoy most). In retrospect, I wish I hadn't done the ice for the OFB'17. But I usually enjoy my tastings that way.

I also saw where someone here posted that they bought some Blanton's at Frankie's in The Strand, so I stopped by there Friday. I was excited that I was able to get a bottle of ER10 for $49.99. I also got Buffalo Trace for the same amount. I didn't see Blanton's but they had George T. Stagg for $499 (too steep for me at this point of my journey). How do these prices compare with what you're seeing?

Edited by PsychMike
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PsychMike said:

I also saw where someone here posted that they bought some Blanton's at Frankie's in The Strand, so I stopped by there Friday. I was excited that I was able to get a bottle of ER10 for $49.99. I also got Buffalo Trace for the same amount. I didn't see Blanton's but they had George T. Stagg for $499 (too steep for me at this point of my journey). How do these prices compare with what you're seeing?

Not sure what the Houston market is, but ER10 is pretty attainable in Austin for ~$30.  As is BT for ~$25.  

Edited by Horn21

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What's the parking like at Poison Girl before 4 pm on a weekday? 

Not a problem, generally.

13 hours ago, After irth said:

Passed up a ECBP for $90 today just north of Lufkin. I have regrets. 

I came home from Tulsa in December with 4.  But left 4 on the shelves.  Also regret.

30 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If anybody finds Old Ezra 7 Year Barrel Strength, buy an entire case. I’ll happily cover your costs. 

Man that’s good juice, but I’m getting sick of paying $12 a pour for it at bars. 

i've been looking for that one high and low myself for the past couple of months.  to no avail. 

my new unicorn is old charter oak.  it's a new line from wheatley at buffalo trace.  he's going to use a different oak, instead of standard white oak, for each release.  this first release, that came out in january, is mongolian oak.  i've read what the second one will be but can't remember it now.  anyway, it's proven to be as difficult to find as btac.   fuckers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thestud said:

It’s 80 proof Canadian whiskey. That should tell you all you need to know.

I like Canadian whiskey just fine, and I don't need 130 proof cask strength etc. to enjoy. There's obviously something different about this since the bourbon geeks are interested. However, based on a lack of enthusiasm so far, I probably won't make the trek out south to get it unless I happen to be nearby for other reasons.

3 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

i've been looking for that one high and low myself for the past couple of months.  to no avail. 

my new unicorn is old charter oak.  it's a new line from wheatley at buffalo trace.  he's going to use a different oak, instead of standard white oak, for each release.  this first release, that came out in january, is mongolian oak.  i've read what the second one will be but can't remember it now.  anyway, it's proven to be as difficult to find as btac.   fuckers.

The Deb’s folks claims Ezra Brooks/their distributor went 0, zero bottles to Austin. 

I think Spec’s Houston said they received a case, for the whole city. 

Stopped for a drink before client dinner in Nashville. Finally got a glass of this -  was excellent

5cer9s.jpg 

Client had unexpected meetings and canceled dinner.  A colleague and I drowned our sorrows at Kayne Prime with EH Taylor Barrel Proof, Weller 12 and 2018 GTS. They had to open the GTS and I can attest it improves with some time in an open bottle.  I'd had a pour earlier this week at Brennan's and it was much better.  

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Wow, Fred Minnick named OF Rye as his best value whiskey. He liked it so much he bought a case of it immediately. 

I mean it’s good, but I would never buy a case. I bought two bottles, and I’m just fine with that. 

Any Austin people know somewhere that has this in stock? I was a little late on it and checked a few places like 5 days after it came out, but they were all out.

buying a gift for a friend who is having a baby in a few months - any recs for something that is at least somewhat easy to find at my local (non chain) stores + in the $30-$50 range?

in a perfect world, i would grab some blantons but don't expect to find it around here sadly

(going to be in Austin this weekend if that makes it easier to grab something)

1 hour ago, NoName said:

buying a gift for a friend who is having a baby in a few months - any recs for something that is at least somewhat easy to find at my local (non chain) stores + in the $30-$50 range?

in a perfect world, i would grab some blantons but don't expect to find it around here sadly

(going to be in Austin this weekend if that makes it easier to grab something)

Depends what he likes. 

ER10 if he likes the smooth stuff. 

Knob Creek Single Barrel Store Pick if he likes higher proof. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Any Austin people know somewhere that has this in stock? I was a little late on it and checked a few places like 5 days after it came out, but they were all out.

I’d you're going to be in Dallas or Houston, Goody Goody usually has it in stock. At least recently. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

As of Tuesday, Specs Brodie & Arborwalk had OFR on the shelves.  Twins had it weeks ago.  Lookout for Twins Dollar Day coming up Feb 28th - Mar 2nd.

• Like 1

While I was in Louisville a few weeks ago picking barrels, I spoke to the good folks at Old Forester.  For those that appreciate the new rye release, expect to see a higher proof & older version in the pipeline.  It’s a bottling that will match what Heaven Hill did with Rittenhouse and the highly charged Pikesville offering.  I can’t wait for this one ☝🏾.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Whiskyteer said:

While I was in Louisville a few weeks ago picking barrels, I spoke to the good folks at Old Forester.  For those that appreciate the new rye release, expect to see a higher proof & older version in the pipeline.  It’s a bottling that will match what Heaven Hill did with Rittenhouse and the highly charged Pikesville offering.  I can’t wait for this one ☝🏾.

picking out barrels for what?  you got a store?

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If anybody finds Old Ezra 7 Year Barrel Strength, buy an entire case. I’ll happily cover your costs. 

Man that’s good juice, but I’m getting sick of paying $12 a pour for it at bars. 

Had my local store order some for me. Very nice pour, especially at $35 a bottle. Now I just need to convince them to order RRSiB

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Call around on the outskirts of town. Seen very little on shelves last week, but now popping up everywhere.

pretty neat campaign by OF. Release it limited to get it wanted and WOM (internet), then wider release a few weeks later.

still good stuff for $17.99. Tastes like a much more valued rye.

• Like 1

Interesting piece on Whitmeyer's: 

https://www.bourbonbanter.com/on-the-road/distilleries/whitmeyers-distilling-company/#.XG93ktRKjIU

I'm still not buying the "bourbon ages faster and just as well in Texas than it does in Kentucky" BS. If that were true the Buffalo Trace would move their operations to Texas. 

That being said, I've read enough positive press clippings on Whitmeyer's to make the trip out there and taste. 

The Bourbon Pursuit guys tasted Balcones Texas Pot Still Bourbon and they really liked it. Balcones will sell it for $30 a bottle. God Bless Them. There might be hope for the Texas bourbons after all. There's no release date, but it sounds like this summer. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

Bourbon needs both heat for extraction of the charred barrel sugars and cold for contraction of the sugars back into the bourbon. If you have mostly heat in Texas, the lack of cold doesn’t contract the sugars back into the bourbon as much. Kentucky has a perfect balance of both. There are some similar climates to Kentucky in Texas but they’re nowhere near Houston, Austin, or Waco. They are north of Lubbock. 

• Like 1

Bourbon needs both heat for extraction of the charred barrel sugars and cold for contraction of the sugars back into the bourbon.

Not a barrel bourbon expert by any means , but do know after a couple tours at various places the argument TX maker utilize is - there are more drastic daily swings in Texas than KY or TN. If the daily max/min are swinging 20+ that barrel is “breathing” and the unaged bourbon is in and out of those pores a lot more than if the high is 5-10 degs from the low. This year being a perfect example in Houston “winter”. Morning 45 deg jacket. Lunch 68 no jacket. Leave office 55 and falling jacket back on.

Not sure how the dissolved sugars work, but the spirit is “moving” in and out of the wood & char hundreds of times more over the coarse of a 10-12 yr than a KY or TN barrel that’s only seeing those cycles as the fronts move through. Also, wouldn’t the higher summer highs mean more dissolved sugars even if they aren’t “falling out” until Dec or Jan in most of TX? If the summer months are really “bad” bourbon months wouldn’t TX from Oct-March be exceptional bourbon months?

Be cool to see a sciencey article on it, but wasn’t able to find one with my google-fu.

19 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

Not a barrel bourbon expert by any means , but do know after a couple tours at various places the argument TX maker utilize is - there are more drastic daily swings in Texas than KY or TN. If the daily max/min are swinging 20+ that barrel is “breathing” and the unaged bourbon is in and out of those pores a lot more than if the high is 5-10 degs from the low. This year being a perfect example in Houston “winter”. Morning 45 deg jacket. Lunch 68 no jacket. Leave office 55 and falling jacket back on.

Not sure how the dissolved sugars work, but the spirit is “moving” in and out of the wood & char hundreds of times more over the coarse of a 10-12 yr than a KY or TN barrel that’s only seeing those cycles as the fronts move through. Also, wouldn’t the higher summer highs mean more dissolved sugars even if they aren’t “falling out” until Dec or Jan in most of TX? If the summer months are really “bad” bourbon months wouldn’t TX from Oct-March be exceptional bourbon months?

Be cool to see a sciencey article on it, but wasn’t able to find one with my google-fu.

I’d like to hear Balcones’ explanation. They seem pretty set on 24 months in the barrel, and they’ve been around long enough to produce a much older product. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d like to hear Balcones’ explanation. They seem pretty set on 24 months in the barrel, and they’ve been around long enough to produce a much older product. 

Garrison's is less than 24, and it's plenty oaky, rich, dark, and flavorful to me.   I know it get it's knocks here but I think it is damn fine whiskey, much better than Balcones.  

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I've heard basically the same thing from Balcones' and Ranger Creek - the extreme temperature fluctuations in Texas ages whiskey faster than Kentucky.  One of the slides on Balcones' story sums it up. 

26 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Producing older products costs a lot.

This. I assume we’re talking taxes and evaporation.