Bourbon

Jimbaround

I would say your offer might be right on.  Are you trading at secondary values?  Secondary pricing wise, I would guestimate values from BSM at:
ORVW is $400 (+/- $25)
W12 1.75 $200 (+/- $ 20)
OWA 1.75 $125 (+/- $10)
OWA SP $90 (+$10 for NCF)  
Guy now wants 2 W12s and the store pick. Not sure I want to do that when I could easily get 450 for them

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:
10 hours ago, Steelhorn said:
 I would say your offer might be right on.  Are you trading at secondary values?  Secondary pricing wise, I would guestimate values from BSM at:
ORVW is $400 (+/- $25)
W12 1.75 $200 (+/- $ 20)
OWA 1.75 $125 (+/- $10)

Guy now wants 2 W12s and the store pick. Not sure I want to do that when I could easily get 450 for them

Your gut is telling you no. Listen man. 

A) it is going to be harder to find an ORVW than it is Weller product (on the margin) so if it is your grail, maybe

B) you’d literally be swapping over 5 times the juice for it - and that isn’t bad juice man. Hard to justify. 

8 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:
11 hours ago, Steelhorn said:
ORVW is $400 (+/- $25)
W12 1.75 $200 (+/- $ 20)
OWA 1.75 $125 (+/- $10)

ORVW is not that great.  It goes for more than GTS on secondary but you’d have to be a huge wheater fanboy to like it more.  Like anyone else I’d buy at retail but you need to try it before unloading that much for it.  If you’re in Austin it’s $15 at Oasthouse.  Or $16/2 oz at the golf club in my neighborhood.  

Well what would you offer?  I have 3 handles of W12, 1 handle of Antique, and a 750 Antique Spec's store pick to trade. He wants nearly all of those for this one bottle that retails for about $90.  I'm thinking 1 W12 and the two Antiques is about fair, but maybe I'm underestimating the ORVW 10 year value. 

I’d do 2 W12 handles or a W12 and a Rock Hill or ETL.
ORVW is rare but gettable and your antique store pick and handles are just throw ins, but I wouldn’t do the store pick and the handle AND two W12s.

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’d do 2 W12 handles or a W12 and a Rock Hill or ETL.
ORVW is rare but gettable and your antique store pick and handles are just throw ins, but I wouldn’t do the store pick and the handle AND two W12s.

I need a he’s right you know gif.

Anybody else tried a SiB Russell's Reserve? My local LS has had a front display of these store picks for a while and haven't paid it much attention until last night.  Had two samples and really liked it although a little hotter than what I normally drink.  I bought a bottle primary as a gift for a friend but am thinking I need to get one for myself. 

Russell-s-single-barrel.jpg

3 minutes ago, davidg said:

Anybody else tried a SiB Russell's Reserve? My local LS has had a front display of these store picks for a while and haven't paid it much attention until last night.  Had two samples and really liked it although a little hotter than what I normally drink.  I bought a bottle primary as a gift for a friend but am thinking I need to get one for myself. 

Russell-s-single-barrel.jpg

I would buy as many of those as you come across.  Excellent values.  I've tried two different store picks, one from Houston and one from Austin, and they were both outstanding.

12 minutes ago, huge said:

How plentiful will it be?  1910 level?  

I don’t have current numbers but seeing that the rye is not part of the whiskey row series, the affordability of it and it being the newest mash bill in 150yrs, I surmise that it will be a permanent fixture in the BF portfolio.  I look forward to tasting it against Rittenhouse, Sazerac and Turkey.

6 hours ago, Whiskyteer said:

I don’t have current numbers but seeing that the rye is not part of the whiskey row series, the affordability of it and it being the newest mash bill in 150yrs, I surmise that it will be a permanent fixture in the BF portfolio.  I look forward to tasting it against Rittenhouse, Sazerac and Turkey.

It’s a permanent line extension.  Most likely some supply inconsistencies early due to initial demand, but not an in and out item. 1910 will be back in stock this summer

Finally found this bad boy tonight - Interested to see how it holds up, as I had a buddy hyping the shit out of it to the tune of “damn the reviews.”

940471fff1faa52cbf3ca4d49dc74036.jpg

Spot I landed at tonight also had magnums of ER, Elijah Craig 12 SB (For $250 eek) and a type of Booker’s I had never heard of... needless to say I’ll be back.

They also had a Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection Oat Grain Kentucky Bourbon – which was a solid WTF and I couldn’t find much about online - Anyone else seen that bottle?

8 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Finally found this bad boy tonight - Interested to see how it holds up, as I had a buddy hyping the shit out of it to the tune of “damn the reviews.”

Spot I landed at tonight also had magnums of ER, Elijah Craig 12 SB (For $250 eek) and a type of Booker’s I had never heard of... needless to say I’ll be back.

They also had a Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection Oat Grain Kentucky Bourbon – which was a solid WTF and I couldn’t find much about online - Anyone else seen that bottle?

Spoiler alert, Big Level stinks. Donated the bottle to my wife. 

Oat grain is overpriced. I have yet to find a WR MC worth the markup

On 1/31/2019 at 11:26 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Spec’s Houston still doesn’t have Old Forester Rye. I would advise y’all to look elsewhere. 

ModernThrist gave it a 90 score and said it was comparable to Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond Rye. Very encouraging. 

Rittenhouse is the best bang for your buck whisky out there imho

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Picked up the OF Rye last night at Goody Goody for $26. Looking forward to cracking it open tonight.  

Good man. I think Goody Goody was the first store to get it. 

I think I speak for everyone when I say, I’m looking forward to your review. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

c06bb40ce0ad22582b2d1615c91c060a.jpg

My boys at IronRoot won another world whiskey award (have no idea on the legitimacy of these various competitions and trade group deals).

Hubris is still pretty damn hot as you’d expect from a young corn whiskey, but looking forward to what they can do once they have some barrels with some good age on them. Come on 2027

18 minutes ago, BourbonTahoe said:

Been hunting down some ER10 and can’t find it anywhere for a reasonable price. Thought I’d try 34 Spirits for the first time and it was $100. Unreal. 

It was briefly available last week in Houston at the store that shall remain unsaid. I’d say it usually sells out in 24-48 hours in inner loop Houston. 

If you’re in Austin, Twin usually has it. 

If you’re not in Texas, PM me and I’ll recommend some online retailers. 

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Has anybody sampled the 2018 Little Book? Sky high hopes after a few pours of Booker's Kitchen Table 2018. 

-Cursing under my breath about missing out on Booker's 30-

I actually opened this thread this morning to ask about Little Book.  Store I frequent has had it sitting on the shelf for a few weeks, thought it was either a disappointment or nobody knew anything about it.  

I actually opened this thread this morning to ask about Little Book.  Store I frequent has had it sitting on the shelf for a few weeks, thought it was either a disappointment or nobody knew anything about it.  

Found a couple bottles of Chapter 1 this week and passed based on reviews. If this second batch comes out better I know where I’m going...

I love Little Book 02 and have a spare bottle because it will eventually be hard to find. At the $89 Specs price it’s kind of a no brained.  There’s some type of toasted marshmallow note in there that I just love, but the palate is pretty similar to OF1910 if you’re looking to save a few bucks.  

22 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Good man. I think Goody Goody was the first store to get it. 

I think I speak for everyone when I say, I’m looking forward to your review. 

Bill, panther creek liquor is holding a bottle of OF Rye for you. Call Michael at the woodlands location.

I have both Little Books and think they are both really good.  Chapter 2 is a lot different than 1.  

Ch 2 is a blend of Kentucky Rye, Canadian Rye, and 40 yr old Canadian corn whiskey.   It is super sweet but very smooth for being over 100 proof.

Ch 1 is closer to what you'd expect a high rye bourbon to taste like.