Bourbon

Jimbaround

Sam Houston has been around for a while. Back when my buddy ran the UT Club they carried it there to test. This was around ‘01.
We drank the shit out of it after every game and took all the rep would give us.

I didn’t see it again until about 2 years ago at TW. I tried it then but it seemed more mass produced taste wise.

2 hours ago, Smax said:

15 year pappy on the shelf at a grocery store for $999e380b1df4037cb4a0e7c7054dab6c2bf.jpg

Unfortunately, that is the going rate these days, unless you can win one and that can be expensive too. Not that long ago. You could see several of these collective dust on a shelf at your favorite liquor store.

xoxoxo internet 

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I remember buying pappy 15 for $85 back in 2009 at Roma Liquor... shoulda bought the whole shelf

10 yr, 15 yr, lot B, and i think 20? All on the shelf and all less than $110, no limits

If we're talking about the Roma Liquor on TC Jester and Ella, that place has not aged well. 

Received a bottle of A.H. Laws 4-grain bourbon as a gift, and I drank a little last night.  So far, I'm not a big fan.  It's the first time I've tried 4-grain, so it may take some getting used to, but I get this weird taste of overripe banana and I-don't-know-what-else on the tongue.  The taste profiles that I like (and which led me to bourbon) such as caramel, cinnamon, vanilla and orange, are muted, and I'm missing them.   

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I had some of the Oak's store pick Buffalo Trace. Much better than the regular stuff. I can see why he sold out in like 48 hours. I also opened up my bottle of Birthday Bourbon. Damn, it's good of course it's good. 

I've got 4 different BT store picks and haven't had one yet that wasn't great.  Such a great daily drinker.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I had some of the Oak's store pick Buffalo Trace. Much better than the regular stuff. I can see why he sold out in like 48 hours. I also opened up my bottle of Birthday Bourbon. Damn, it's good of course it's good. 

Yeah his BT store pick was great. I went back for seconds but it was out. 

I picked up an OF 1910 today. Want to see what all the hype was about. 

38 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:

Anyone ever had Clyde mays straight bourbon? Local store said it was the next big thing (ie oki, boone County, etc) , it's definitely different though. Tastes like straight up apple pie. 

It’s been around a while. It’s sourced. I’ve never heard of it being worth a shit, but I’ve never tried it. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

It’s been around a while. It’s sourced. I’ve never heard of it being worth a shit, but I’ve never tried it. 

Yep sales dude told me it wasn't sourced when I asked and I didn't look close enough since it said Alabama on the front. Usually I trust that store but I got snookered here. 

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

1910 is darned good for something that's usually available. That said, I haven't seen at Spec's in months. 

Oh, but Specs has that Rio Grande  Resistol Sam Elliott Original Old Tyme Texas Cowboy Boot Sippin' Whiskey. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

If you are looking for some hooch. Fort Worth is stocked up. Let me explain why.

bookers 30th $500+

GTS & THH $499-$799

Stagg jr $199

ECBP $159+

just a few examples. If you want some. Just get you a loan.

I did manage to pick up a Michters Rye 10yr on my way back outside Hillsboro for $129.

19 hours ago, ISUCyclones said:

Anyone ever had Clyde mays straight bourbon? Local store said it was the next big thing (ie oki, boone County, etc) , it's definitely different though. Tastes like straight up apple pie. 

Yeah, they were doing tastes of it last year at my local place.  It was okay -- nothing special.  I can think of several other bourbons in the same general price range that I like better.  

34 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Yeah, they were doing tastes of it last year at my local place.  It was okay -- nothing special.  I can think of several other bourbons in the same general price range that I like better.  

Yeah the price has scared me off on Clyde May. The Total Wine people talk it up, and in general they're not completely full of it like your Spec's "bourbon expert".

If you live in an area with limited selection, it's probably worth a try. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Fair enough. 

While we're on the subject, are any of the higher end Wild Turkey offerings worth the money? 

I really enjoy Rare Breed 116.8. I also picked up a bottle of Decades a few weeks ago and think it is great. If you shop around, you can probably find a bottle for below MSRP. 

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I really enjoy Rare Breed 116.8. I also picked up a bottle of Decades a few weeks ago and think it is great. If you shop around, you can probably find a bottle for below MSRP. 

1 minute ago, BigDHornfan said:

Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel and Decades are both great.
Oak Liquor Has a great store pick of the RR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks fellas. I've been meaning to try Decades.