Bourbon

Jimbaround

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I was messing with the Dan Garrison sock on the board. 

What are your thoughts on the WhistlePig 15 Year Straight Rye? Only 92 Proof has me a little worried. 

I don't get worried about proof the way some of you do.

That being said I have not had that version of Pig.  I do like every other variety I have had.

So I’ve joined a few bourbon groups in the last year on Facebook, has helped me find stuff a few times.

But I swear 50% of the people on there just seem to buy stuff for the sake of saying they have it, like collecting comics. All I see are pics of huge collections of never opened bottles, don’t get it .

Drink it or GTFO

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

So I’ve joined a few bourbon groups in the last year on Facebook, has helped me find stuff a few times.

But I swear 50% of the people on there just seem to buy stuff for the sake of saying they have it, like collecting comics. All I see are pics of huge collections of never opened bottles, don’t get it .

Drink it or GTFO

amen.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:43 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I was messing with the Dan Garrison sock on the board. 

What are your thoughts on the WhistlePig 15 Year Straight Rye? Only 92 Proof has me a little worried. 

Tell him his $25 bottle of GB was so bad, that I would never spend a dime on anything higher priced. I hosted a blind tasting with 8 guys, 12 bottles of various bourbons, and GB was the resounding worst of the lot, to the point where no one would willingly drink it. 

11 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Tell him his $25 bottle of GB was so bad, that I would never spend a dime on anything higher priced. I hosted a blind tasting with 8 guys, 12 bottles of various bourbons, and GB was the resounding worst of the lot, to the point where no one would willingly drink it. 

Garrison Bros isn’t good. I had their barrel pick at Jack Allen’s and could barely finish it.   

13 minutes ago, EverywhereMan said:

For the BurYear - I’ve had a little Whisle Ping Old World finished in the PX Sherry Casks that my bro-in-law got me for x-mas. What are y’alls thoughts on the sherry/port finishings? Price grab by the distillers?

Regardless - I do think this is delicious.

Sherry Finishing is like regular bourbon. Some do it well, and many do not. 

For the BurYear - I’ve had a little Whisle Ping Old World finished in the PX Sherry Casks that my bro-in-law got me for x-mas. What are y’alls thoughts on the sherry/port finishings? Price grab by the distillers?
Regardless - I do think this is delicious.

Really enjoyed the bottle I had of that.

Got a lead to pick up Rutledge’s new cream of Kentucky release. Anyone tried it? Thoughts? Retail $150. Given limited release I might go for it.

Research tells me Jim sources 1792 barrels. He’s a great blender, but that markup for the 1880s brand name and his personal name probably ain’t worth it. U wish him well and will support him though

Well what would you offer?  I have 3 handles of W12, 1 handle of Antique, and a 750 Antique Spec's store pick to trade. He wants nearly all of those for this one bottle that retails for about $90.  I'm thinking 1 W12 and the two Antiques is about fair, but maybe I'm underestimating the ORVW 10 year value. 

I have not had it, but I don't need all these extra bottles lying around. I have 3 handles of W12, one from each of the last 3 years, a 2016 antique, and the specs pick. Just trying to combine them to trade up for something I can't get otherwise, like ORVW or THH.  Not sure what fair value is on these. 

8 hours ago, Whiskyteer said:

This Booker’s release came and went 3 weeks ago. 

I propose a new arrangement to the thread, if something good hits Texas, post about it here. I'm not asking everybody to reveal their honey holes, heck I'm not even asking y'all to reveal what city you saw a bottle in. Just give everybody a heads up to start looking. 

We can all look up the anticipated release dates on Breaking Bourbon, but those are very general dates. March 2019 doesn't help anybody. Distributors in Texas sit on stuff all the time, there are shipping delays, really there's no other way of knowing other than word of mouth. 

I'm in, and I hope y'all are too. 

• Like 2