Bourbon

Jimbaround

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Please continue...

years is a big stretch, I grabbed a few bottles off the shelf at specs on memorial right after Thanksgiving, and I know other stores that have bottles on the shelf right now. Is it difficult to find especially at Specs absolutely but step of the beaten the path

Not worried about $50 OWA, that should effectively killl the secondary except for NCF single barrels.  Should have popped W12 up to $85 while they were at it to knock off that stupid hording and flipping game.  

Speaking of $85, Yellowstone 2018 LE is all over TW and other locations right now.  It’s really good, nice proof, excellent caramel notes, quality oaky finish and sitting on shelves.  Go get it.  

zyvEcEL.jpg

Edited by USCATX
  • Like 1

The price increases of Weller Antique and 12 are a price grab. Buffalo Trace/Sazerac can spin it anyway they want, but it is what it is. Just don't try and slide it under the door. Be upfront about it. 

They're Sazerac. They can do whatever they want. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Might be a worth a trip if I’m in DC. 
I heard the Bowman Bros distillery isn’t worth writing home about. 

It’s a quick hop - Their restaurant is also outstanding, but I’d just take in the local seafood if you’re pressed for time.

We also have excellent breweries in the city and a solid gin distillery our Frederick way.

1 hour ago, thestud said:

It’s not going to kill secondary, it’s going drive secondary costs to that of W12. The only thing that will kill secondary is if they increase releases.

Yeah this is probably reality, I heard second hand that in 5 to 6 years they expect production of blantons and eagle rare to be enough where it sits on shelves consistently though, that would be nice. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The price increases of Weller Antique and 12 are a price grab. Buffalo Trace/Sazerac can spin it anyway they want, but it is what it is. Just don't try and slide it under the door. Be upfront about it. 

They're Sazerac. They can do whatever they want. 

Weller 12 has been criminally underpriced for 5 years. Not going to blame a business for charging market rates for a world class product. I don’t expect Apple to sell their latest IPhone for $299. 

2 minutes ago, brown water said:

That's really cool.  But I've never understood the logic of their Europe only releases given today's domestic demand.  Read somewhere that STFB (select barrels) would merit a place in the Antique collection as the mashbill 2 version of GTS. 

I won't complain. Fucking easier to get that shit by flying to Europe than it is to get BTAC stateside. 

• Like 2

Not complaining. I've been the beneficiary of that system.  I just doesn't make sense to me.

If I was a (1) profit motivated company (2) in the golden age of my product and (3) aware that not only was I allocating it to the wrong markets but that (4) a secondary market existed to get it back to my primary one, and (5) at a premium, I would probably shift things around and save a few bucks on shipping in the process.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brown water said:

That's really cool.  But I've never understood the logic of their Europe only releases given today's domestic demand.  Read somewhere that STFB (select barrels) would merit a place in the Antique collection as the mashbill 2 version of GTS. 

It would be the worst of the BTACs, but I’m sure it would double in price on the secondary immediately.  

Doing a BT mash bill one flight tonight. Started with BT, sipping on some ER now, and will finish it off with a Stagg Jr. Batch 9. Interesting to see how age and dilution affect the flavor and nose of bourbon. 

I think the batch 9 supply near me is likely gone. I bought the last one on the shelf on the best store in town. Another store has a few bottles of batch 7 though. Has anyone here tried batch 7?  

Store owner announces several times that if anyone talks about selling, flipping, trading etc, you get booted out the door and no whiskey for you. They start the drawing and first guy gets up to the front with his friend and hands him the ticket. Store owner gets mad, reiterates announcement, friend retreats to back of store. Clueless guy stares at bottles for a minute with no idea what he's looking at. Picks up a few bottles and finally decides on fancy looking 375ml bottle of blantons. Everyone in the crowd gasps in relief and a few of us giggle at the choice. What a maroon!

Next number called and yet another old clueless guy gets up there, sees one of the 2 blantons is gone, and takes the other. Another gasp from those happy folks in the audience as many are giddy with excitement for another chance at an ORVW. Nobody is complaining about that!

Next number called, 9....6... those are my numbers....

ITS MIIIIIIIIIIINEEEEEE ALLLLL MIIIIIIIINNNNNEEEEE MWAHAHAHA!!!

my first bottle of any van winkle after going to these things for 3 years! What an awesome feeling to have your number called third after two doofuses pick the wrong bottles! That makes my haul for this year of lotteries a 1.75 W12, an ETL, an OFBB and a lot B!

f499d1c18453e167123b08285911381e.jpg

• Like 9

I’m very confused by the 25-year age statement they put on the flyer. Rowan’s Creek hasn’t even had an age statement in quite a while, and when it did it was 12 years.
It was a mistake, there was a 25th anniversary edition in a black box that was like $200, but I don't even think it was rowans. Hell they messed up the tags and put the 10 year on my bottle so it was only $89. They messed up some other pricetags too, but I don't recall which were switched.

I’m obviously pumped for your good fortune... but I’m incredibly confused as to Why the first guy was not allowed to have his friend come up with him to claim the bottle? 2 people means it’s a flipper??

Not a flipper, but you can't give away/resell the alcohol. Having someone choose a bottle for you falls in that category even if you plan on keeping it.

17 minutes ago, thestud said:

If you like it then yes. I’m not a fan and most people I know aren’t either.

That was a joke, maybe $29 for a bottle?

That list was ridiculous.  Run of the mill crap and overpriced and PAPPYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I confirmed with the store that shall remain unnamed that Jefferson's Presidential should be in town by the first week of March. I think I'm going to take the plunge. The gimmicky Double Oaked actually surprised me by how good it was, but I caught a good single/barrel store pick. 

I was really disappointed with the last Presidential I bought but that was maybe 3 years ago.