Bourbon

Jimbaround

56 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Sorry, should have specified that the one I've been able to find and do enjoy is the small batch.  Get it if you can.  

Yikes. The Willett Rye following is strong. I would say maybe Willett should focus on that, but holy sheet, the Storm Dollar Single Barrel Willett Bourbon was awesome. 

I'm very, very encouraged by Willett's early distilled offerings. In 10 years we could be talking about Willett unicorns. 

Full disclosure, a few drinks in, so might get wordy and self-important and if I were you I would skip over, but fuck you, this is the Surl, Imma postin this bitch... 

Experimenting with old fashioneds tonight.  Went off the reservation on my first one, using my favorite non-bourbon American whiskey, Bernheim, along with Woodford barrel aged bitters, obviously sugar (I cheated and used simple syrup), Luxardo cherrah and orange peel.  Conclusion:  Fuck, I just can't find the right drink to use with that bitters, would probably bump this up a point or more by using Angostura.  5.5/10.  

More traditional on the second, using the Colonel (EHT SmB) and Angostura.  Conclusion:  I like the little kick the BiB gives it over a more classic OF.  8.5/10.  Stir it a little colder and I bump that muthafucka up to a 9.  Best drink I've made since EHT Rye Sazeracs.  Fuck, that was an expensive home bartending bill for the NFC Championship game.  But worth it.

#3, going with a rye.  Not sure I've attempted a rye OF. But fuck it, it's Friday, I ain't got no job (until Monday), let's do this shit.  Subbing Redemption Rye for the Colonel and keep the rest the same.  Conclusion:  Not sure if it's the rye or the kind of rye or the awesome EHT I had prior, but this tastes like cheap Scotch with some sugar added to it.  In other words, ass.  2.5/10.  Would not consume again unless it had been a long dry spell and my dick was hard.  Wait, wut?

#4, back to bourson.  Regular Welller.  2 dash Angostura, 2 Peychaud's.  Conclusion:  Simple, plain, good, not great.  Maybe shoulda done the Peychaud's barrel aged to  add some flava flav to it....  Solid 7.5/10.  

Would 5 be too many?  Waiting to hear back from wife and liver.  Wife in bed, liver laughing, and 80's metal playing, so lessee where we go...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Here's a pretty good review of the OF Rye.  And she's got an Alison Brie thing going on.   Would.

These are the people I was thinking of with the 1910 review. The fella panned it, and the young lady loved it. 

Whiskey Jug and Whiskey Blooded on Youtube are my favorite reviewers. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Upthread I was talking about the median, the bourbon closest to the basic idea of bourbon, and said for for most people it’s probably something like Beam, Wild Turkey or Weller.

Well, when somebody says “bottom shelf”, the whiskey that pops into my mind is McKenna. It’s not good, but back in the day it was drinkable at a very low price and you used to be able to stand getting the drunkest for the cheapest with it.

All that to say- there’s no way that I would choose to feature McKenna in anything or drink it at this point in my life, because I’m not dead broke. But if I was, I’d pass on the cupcake and take the booze.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Upthread I was talking about the median, the bourbon closest to the basic idea of bourbon, and said for for most people it’s probably something like Beam, Wild Turkey or Weller.

Well, when somebody says “bottom shelf”, the whiskey that pops into my mind is McKenna. It’s not good, but back in the day it was drinkable at a very low price and you used to be able to stand getting the drunkest for the cheapest with it.

All that to say- there’s no way that I would choose to feature McKenna in anything or drink it at this point in my life, because I’m not dead broke. But if I was, I’d pass on the cupcake and take the booze.

McKenna is like four roses.  bottom shelf four roses is about as bottom shelf as it gets.  cheap, readily accessible.   there's a McKenna out there, bottled in bond, 10 yr, that is a hidden gem.  might possibly be the most fantastic little bourbon out there that hasn't hit unicorn status yet.

• Like 2

McKenna is like four roses.  bottom shelf four roses is about as bottom shelf as it gets.  cheap, readily accessible.   there's a McKenna out there, bottled in bond, 10 yr, that is a hidden gem.  might possibly be the most fantastic little bourbon out there that hasn't hit unicorn status yet.
Yep. Need to pick up another one of these. 38.99 at my local shop.

Picked up a 1L of OF Rye yesterday at Total wine for $25. Cracked it open and enjoyed a neat pour of it. Well worth the cost, but doesn't really stand out to me vs other eyes at that price point. Pretty standard flavor for a rye with a bit of brown sugar sweetness, some kind of nuttiness and a slight burn on the back end, but not enough to need any water to cut it. Gonna make an old fashioned with it tonight and try it that way. I'm enjoying it, definitely won't be difficult to finish this bottle. Cheers
1c970e86c8f94d7fc7ea8958151ac9c2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Picked up a 1L of OF Rye yesterday at Total wine for $25. Cracked it open and enjoyed a neat pour of it. Well worth the cost, but doesn't really stand out to me vs other eyes at that price point. Pretty standard flavor for a rye with a bit of brown sugar sweetness, some kind of nuttiness and a slight burn on the back end, but not enough to need any water to cut it. Gonna make an old fashioned with it tonight and try it that way. I'm enjoying it, definitely won't be difficult to finish this bottle. Cheers
1c970e86c8f94d7fc7ea8958151ac9c2.jpg

Yeah, I agree with your review. Nothing special. I'd say Woodford Reserve and OF Rye are pretty much the same quality. 

It's cheap and it's solid, but not some hidden gem. 

On 2/7/2019 at 8:53 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Willett Rye newb here. The 4 Year Single Barrel seems pretty tough to find. 

I picked up a bottle of the 4 Year Small Batch, 110 proof this evening. Is it any good? 

I bought the Willett Rye on Friday night along with Noah's Mill. The guy at Spec's told me that it was the first time in roughly three years that he had seen a bottle of Willett Rye. I'm having my first glass now, and it did not disappoint. 

• Like 1

Just now, Briuis said:

I bought the Willett Rye on Friday night along with Noah's Mill. The guy at Spec's told me that it was the first time in roughly three years that he had seen a bottle of Willett Rye. I'm having my first glass now, and it did not disappoint. 

Small batch or single barrel? 

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Interesting. I could have sworn I saw it on the shelves at Spec's Houston maybe last year, but it was a 2 year. I only bought it because a 4 year. Willett can do some impressive things if you give them a few years to work with. 

It was Spec's in The Woodlands (Rayford).

I've  been a Wild Turkey 101 guy since my Army days and just started trying new bourbons in the last six months. 

4 hours ago, huge said:

General question:

Would any of you pay $300 for a BTAC that you had been hoping to find?  In other words 3x retail but well below secondary?

Absolutely 

This is how I rationalize it to myself. I don’t blink an eye spending 150 on a dinner with the wife. So why do I feel guilty about spending that much on a nice bottle of bourbon? In the same vein,  no problems buying a $80 bottle of bourbon a couple times a month. So let’s say I don’t buy any for a couple months, boom. I’ve saved enough to buy the nicer one. 

Either way, it’s easisr to ask for forgiveness 

5 hours ago, huge said:

General question:

Would any of you pay $300 for a BTAC that you had been hoping to find?  In other words 3x retail but well below secondary?

If you have 2017 or 2018 Handy for $300 please send a PM. If you Sazerac 18 or Eagle Rare 17 for $300, I'm on my way to your house.