Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 3/29/2019 at 9:09 AM, thestud said:

I love how the title of the article is “6 affordable bourbons” and they list $220 Garrison Brosemoji849.png. And then they have the audacity to suggest Larceny 92 proof and not the full proof. Strange

The retail on the Larceny Barrel proof is $115, so not exactly affordable either

On 3/29/2019 at 10:46 AM, Neonmoon said:

Has anyone ever had Yellow Rose bourbon? I brought up bourbon at work, and a superior of mine mentioned enjoying Yellow Rose recently. Now, I didn’t get the inclination that bourbon was his regular choice of drink. I’m sure he just wanted to express a commonality with his subordinates. Instead of imposing my views on him, I realized I’ve never actually tried Yellow Rose. I’ve only read meh reviews so I didnt waste the money. 

Young Whiskey...At $60, I'd go to E.H. Taylor SmB, or KCSB all day everyday and pocket the difference. Heck that's two bottles of BT plus

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Of course... I couldn't find Balcones Pot Still anywhere last week so I ordered some online, and now it's everywhere. Plenty of bottles at Spec's and GG my fellow Houstonians. 

Scored a bottle in Nac a few days ago. Haven’t opened it yet. What’s been the consensus on this?

2 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

It sucks.  I really wanted to like it after loving the wheated.  But it's just terrible.

So the consensus is the Balcones Wheated is the only decent, reasonably bourbon in the state? I want us to do better. Balcones and Garrison Bros have both been around long enough to produce a 7-8 year bourbon. Come at me, Garrison Bros truthers, where is it? I think taxes plays a BIG part. 

Yeah, I'm leery about taking Balcones Pot Still for a test drive. I guess I could always give it to the wife for cocktails. 

Was in Santa Fe last weekend and hit up all the local stores looking for the hard to finds. I didn’t have any luck but one store owner recommended this bottle. Think he said it came from Oregon. I love fly fishing so would have bought it either way. Any info on this?b33227d76270c9778592aac770d4de22.jpg

On 3/2/2019 at 8:05 PM, brown water said:

Picked up a bottle of Barrel Dovetail today.  Never heard of it and had mixed opinions on Barrel from prior experience.  Fortunately the store had a sample. It was really good with my only objection being the alcohol burn in the finish. I expect that will mellow with some age in the open bottle. Recommend if you happen across a bottle. 

http://breakingbourbon.com/barrell-dovetail.html

Completely agree.  Went back and picked up a case.  

2 minutes ago, brown water said:

Completely agree.  Went back and picked up a case.  

Did you just completely agree?  WITH YOURSELF?

As a follow up on prices, I paid $414 out the door for the 2 bottles of Gold and 2 bottles of SFTB in Nassau.  This was after the guy gave a discount and waved the 12% VAT due to buying 4.

They were listed at $109 and $124 respectively so I felt good about that.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, huge said:

Did you just completely agree?  WITH YOURSELF?

As a follow up on prices, I paid $414 out the door for the 2 bottles of Gold and 2 bottles of SFTB in Nassau.  This was after the guy gave a discount and waved the 12% VAT due to buying 4.

They were listed at $109 and $124 respectively so I felt good about that.

The post immediately before mine referencing the same bottle in bumped my quoted post.  Thought that was fairly obvious.  But I’m quoting your post to avoid the potential for confusion.  

I special ordered and his distributor gave him more than he expected.  I almost felt like I was doing him a favor.  I’m magnanimous like that. Agree that it’s better with some open bottle age and doesn’t need water.  

Edited by brown water

59 minutes ago, brown water said:

I special ordered and his distributor gave him more than he expected.  I almost felt like I was doing him a favor.  I’m magnanimous like that. Agree that it’s better with some open bottle age and doesn’t need water.  

FINE, I'll try to find some.

I bought this, curious if anyone has tried the new batch...

2019022214_smooth_ambler_old_scout_singl

41 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Where did you order it from? I wanted to order from Master of Malt, but found out they won't deliver to US currently 

Mine was more of a friend of a friend of a friend out of country private sale. 

Edited by Constant

15 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Smax is forever on my “fuck you, smax” since posting the on sale birthday bourbon he bought a couple of years ago. 

In short, fuck you smax.

That was straight up lucky there, this Blantons bought at same grocery store chain just not in napa this time

Headed to Kentucky 4/15-4/19 for [mention=1802]BTW[/mention] 40th. Hitting up some distilleries, horse races, Louisville Slugger HQ, and Valhalla.

Any can’t-miss recs? I know we’re doing Makers. Others are up in the air at this point, I believe.

• Like 1

Just now, brown water said:

Yep. Who’d ever touch Michter 10, Midwinter Night Dram, Angels Envy, the original Black Maple Hill, OSSA, Belle Meade Cask Strength....

insert some sort of Garrison Brothers comment here...

• Like 2