Bourbon

Jimbaround

28 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I went down a rabbit hole trying to find what’s actually in the bottle. No one knows the age or where the bourbon is from. This is the first national release after Stoli bought Kentucky Owl. The bottle states Kentucky Straight Bourbon, so it’s made in Kentucky and at least 2 years old. Supposedly DSPs selling stock in Kentucky are Brown Foreman, Barton, and maybe Heaven Hill.  (MGP in Indiana and Dickel in Tennessee, but this is from Kentucky), but again no one knows where it’s from. 

But this lead me to this podcast with Fred Minnick and Jeff Hopmayer. Jeff is a bourbon broker who helps these NDPs source their bourbon and he made some eye opening statements. He helped Kentucky Owl, Barrel Bourbon, etc.

https://bourbonpursuit.com/2019/01/03/182-exposing-the-secrets-of-bourbon-sourcing-with-jeff-hopmayer-of-the-brindiamo-group/

A few things I learned. 

1. A reason these new bourbons are so expensive. The big boys have the 30-50 dollar range locked down. They have been doing this for a hundreds years. They are efficient and have economic scale. You won’t be able to match the quality and volume of their product in that price range. 4 Roses Single Barrel. Eagle Rare 10. Buffalo Trace. Elijah Craig Small Batch. Henry McKenna 10. I mean those are all phenomenal bourbons for the price point. 

So new guys have to release something super high premium to get noticed. People are willing to spend money on high end stuff on none name brands, because there isn’t enough BTAC for everyone, but if you’re spending 30-50, are you going to buy ER10 or Rebecca Creek? Exactly 

2. While he said not every DSP sells extra stock on the open market, he said he might buy from one of their partners. For example, 4 Roses sold distillate to Bulleit under some partnership or whatever. Then this guy would buy extra from Bulleit. 

3. Texas, Wyoming, and Virginia are states that sell extra bourbon distillate on the open market. People buy it because it’s cheaper than Kentucky. And if you are mixing it anyways, and maybe sending it to Europe, whatever. 

Fascinating episode. I usually listen to Bourbon Pursuit every week. 

Just now, 4th and 5 said:

The guy had no socks and shoes on?

Would have been better, but no the toddler had no socks or shoes and was under old dudes arm with him running full sprint. It was probably like a 3-4 year old too, so not small. Other people were all running in too but seeing the dads with kids all running cracked me up the most. 

On 2/21/2019 at 6:43 AM, BigDHornfan said:

That dude needs to shut his mouth...it's his fault Henry McKenna 10 yr has increased in price and is harder to find.

Well, a big middle finger to Fred Minnick and an even bigger middle finger to my local shop.  The McKenna 10YO BIB that I used to pay around $30 is now priced at . . . wait for it . . . $99.99 at that shop.  I shit you not.  Goddam price-gouging sons of bitches.  On principle, I walked right the fuck out and bought nothing. 

Will hipster motherfuckers please move on to gin or something?

On a more positive note, I did find a bottle of OF Rye a couple weeks ago and just cracked it this evening.  It's quite good, esp. for $25.  I doubt that price will stay the same with Minnick shooting his mouth off. 

Edited by Carl Spackler

26 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Well, a big middle finger to Fred Minnick and an even bigger middle finger to my local shop.  The McKenna 10YO BIB that I used to pay around $30 is now priced at . . . wait for it . . . $99.99 at that shop.  I shit you not.  Goddam price-gouging sons of bitches.  On principle, I walked right the fuck out and bought nothing. 

On a more positive note, I did find a bottle of OF Rye a couple weeks ago and just cracked it this evening.  It's quite good, esp. for $25.  I doubt that price will stay the same with Minnick shooting his mouth off. 

Agreed. I'm very ready for the hipsters to move on to something, anything else. I doubt it'll be rum because it's sugar based, and scotch isn't great in cocktails. Vodka is probably our best hope. 

15 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I wonder if Minnick is regretting his purchase of a case of Old Forester Rye? It's still everywhere. Old Forester has stated they want the rye to be an everyday drinker. I don't see the price going up much. It appears they're after market share not the mark up. 

• Like 2

On 4/13/2019 at 3:07 PM, ISUCyclones said:

Picked up a 14 year Boone County single barrel today, people are losing their shit over this. I stayed in the parking lot of party source for a bit watching dudes literally sprinting into the store. One guy ran in carrying a toddler with no shoes or socks. 

Please tell me where. 

I wonder if Minnick is regretting his purchase of a case of Old Forester Rye? It's still everywhere. Old Forester has stated they want the rye to be an everyday drinker. I don't see the price going up much. It appears they're after market share not the mark up. 
I hope so. Finally found a daily drinker i can find.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Hope you're right.  Brown-Forman needs to stay the course.

• Like 1

MGP ever going to release their own bourbon? Or are they just making too much money selling to these startups right now?

Google tells me they released a 4 year old high rye mash bourbon called George Remus. 

I will have to check it out but wonder if they will ever release a Remus 12 year or something 

Edited by Neonmoon

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

MGP ever going to release their own bourbon? Or are they just making too much money selling to these startups right now?

Google tells me they released a 4 year old high rye mash bourbon called George Remus. 

I will have to check it out but wonder if they will ever release a Remus 12 year or something 

I think "eight and sand" is a blend they do, it's decent 

Jhttps://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/four-roses-reveals-recipe-for-new-small-batch-select-bourbon/

Earlier this year fans of Four Roses bourbon were thrilled to learn their favorite Kentucky bourbon distillery would be adding Small Batch Select as the first permanent edition to the core line up in 12 years. One key bit of information which was missing though was the recipe for this bottling, which is what has been revealed as of today.

Four Roses Small Batch Select, according to those behind it, was put together by Four Roses master distiller Brent Elliott. He hand-selected and mingled six of Four Roses’ 10 bourbon recipes, each aged a minimum of 6 years, to create this expression, which features the OBSV, OBSK, OBSF, OESV, OESK and OESF variants.

Four Roses Small Batch Select

Four Roses Small Batch Select (image via Four Roses)

“Small Batch Select includes six of our recipes and offers truly unique flavor characteristics from our current lineup of bourbons,” said Elliott in a prepared statement. “It’s all new, but at the same time, it’s an extension of what we do, and what we do well. Beyond the unique flavor profile, we wanted to give something to the consumer that they’re really looking for–a non-chill filtered, higher strength Bourbon–and that’s what they will experience with Four Roses Small Batch Select.”

As it stands now this new 104 proof expression is set to roll out to select retailers in Kentucky, New York, California, Texas and Georgia in the weeks following, and will be available in additional locations in the future. Very limited official tasting notes suggest this bourbon “balances notes of candied fruit with warmth and spice for a nuanced, mouth-coating flavor enjoyable to both casual drinkers and connoisseurs.”

It should be noted as well Small Batch Select releases as Four Roses celebrates the culmination of its $55 million expansion project. This undertaking, which began back in 2015, is said to have

invested $34 million into Four Roses’ Distillery in Lawrenceburg, Ky., and $21 million at the Warehouse & Bottling Facility in Cox’s Creek, Ky. At the Distillery, Four Roses added two new buildings and equipment, including a new column and doubler still and more fermenters. With the duplicate column and doubler still, production capacity is scheduled to increase from 4 million to 8 million proof gallons, enough to fill more than 130,000 barrels a year. Louisville, Ky. based architecture firm Joseph & Joseph designed the original Distillery in 1910, and modeled the new buildings after the existing Spanish mission-style structures unique to Four Roses.

At the Warehouse & Bottling Facility, Four Roses built a new bottling facility, containing two bottling lines, including one specifically designed for Single Barrel and a high-speed bottling line, bottling support areas and office space. Warehouse X, the first of several new Four Roses warehouses to be built in the coming years, was completed in November 2018.

“It’s an exciting time at Four Roses and we are proud to celebrate the next step in our effort to provide even more Bourbon to our consumers, while maintaining a commitment to produce the same premium quality that defines the brand,” said Four Roses Chief Operating Officer Ryan Ashley. “We welcome and encourage you to make the trip to our Distillery in Lawrenceburg to experience our continued growth first-hand.”

Four roses coming out with 6 year old 104 proof. The regular Small Batch is just 90 proof but around 6 years. So they are just release something for people who like a higher proof I guess. 

I still think the 4R single barrel at 8-10 years and 100 proof is one of the best on the market. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TXs said:

Total wine had Willet 4 year for $39 (Limit 1). Best price Ive ever seen it at. 

Also picked up Old Forester Rye for the first time. It's incredible can't believe it's price point.

Spec’s has had it for the same price previously.  I have three different batches now but still looking for a 126.

Edited by USCATX

I finished off a bottle of Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Store Pick from 99 Sweet this weekend. I have no idea what 99 Sweet is. I assume it's some little liquor store that flipped their unsold inventory to Spec's. I'm not sure what I'd compare it too. I guess a better version of Wild Turkey Rare Breed is pretty close. 

I'll probably go with Kentucky Chew this weekend. I want to be certain I should buy another bottle. 

On 4/14/2019 at 5:59 PM, Neonmoon said:

The repeal II supposedly is a batch of 10 & 11 years. I would think it should be pretty good. Haven't opened mine yet.

40 minutes ago, Constant said:

Should I get a regular Russels 10yr or the Russels Single Barrel? 

Or a ‘why not both’ situation?

I thought the Russels 10 year was not good. Go with the Single Barrel 

do not buy both 

Edited by Neonmoon

34 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Picked up the OE7 at a little liquor store in Rochester, NY. My B-I-L and I finished the bottle in 2 days. Really great stuff. 

I found a lonely bottle on my through Mississippi a few months ago. I didn't pick it up. I'm a dummy.

I sometimes like to collect discontinued Bourbon. It doesn’t have to be super nice or anything. So I just bought these two guys on the internets. One to drink and one for collection. I’ve never had it before since it’s only released in Kentucky but Heaven Hill recently discontinued it.

2179bd20aef336c3e3d1599c90a1b5cf.jpg

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I sometimes like to collect discontinued Bourbon. It doesn’t have to be super nice or anything. So I just bought these two guys on the internets. One to drink and one for collection. I’ve never had it before since it’s only released in Kentucky but Heaven Hill recently discontinued it.

2179bd20aef336c3e3d1599c90a1b5cf.jpg

Do you have a link? I'd love to try Heaven Hill 6. 

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Old Forester rye for $21. Is there a better deal out there right now?

probably not.  i'm not a huge rye fan either, but do appreciate the bang for your buck that that bottle gives us.  it gets my vote for best value out there.  weller 12, thought shit tons rarer, is maybe a better value but technically not "out there".