Bourbon

Jimbaround

The one and only time I've taken Total WIne's advice and not regretted it, Jefferson's Reserve. 

That's it. All their other suggestions have been hot garbage. I know they have to push certain stuff, it's part of their job. To their credit, Total usually offers samples of their "featured" bottle. An off the beaten path Total can be a gold mine of really good drinkers. 

If you trust a Spec's recommendation, please punch yourself in the face. "Yeah it has some peach extract in it, but it's really good". 

• Like 1

Just know, that if you get screwed by TW and after a couple of pours you hate their suggested pick, you can take it back, with your receipt, for a full refund. I've had to use it one time, and one time only. Now I only accept suggestions from surly types and such. 😎

Edited by RaylanGivens
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mbpcb said:

Sorry I remember seeing KO Confiscated discussion somewhere here... ran across it in the “case” for $119. Worth it?

Can't say personally, but some online reviews like it, but not so much for value. At $119+,   there are other options I'd explore. 

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/kentucky-owl-confiscated

Depends on how you spend money. If spending 125 on bourbon isn’t a problem. Go for it. Yes, you are being ripped off. It’s probably overpriced by $80. But is it a bad bourbon? No, it probably taste fine. They are blending bourbons that range from 6-12 years. So if you’re flush with cash and like trying new things, fuck it, try it. 

But if you care about value, or don’t spend that much money, or one of the men with principles. Just buy a 4 Roses Single barrel. It’s $39.99, aged 10 years, 100 proof and delicious. 

I don’t have any principles, or care about value. But I’m incredibly lazy. So if I see it on the shelf and I’m feeling bored with my usual lineup, I might buy it, whatever. I won’t seek it out or ask for it or give a shit if I never have it. 

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The one and only time I've taken Total WIne's advice and not regretted it, Jefferson's Reserve. 

That's it. All their other suggestions have been hot garbage. I know they have to push certain stuff, it's part of their job. To their credit, Total usually offers samples of their "featured" bottle. An off the beaten path Total can be a gold mine of really good drinkers. 

If you trust a Spec's recommendation, please punch yourself in the face. "Yeah it has some peach extract in it, but it's really good". 

Johnny Drum is not a TW store pick. The bourbon guy had no incentive to push that other than he likes it / thought Quagmire would like it.

And he was right

I’ve got a bottle. $100 is too much. Really incredible rye though

Also bought a bottle for my FiL. His new favorite rye. He’s a brown water novice so I had to explain that’s not something he will find at every liquor store without sounding like a tool when he mixed it with diet coke for my MiL

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Hey long did age bourbon in Austin prior to Prohibition? How long have they traditionally aged bourbon in Texas? I don't think I've ever seen a Texas bourbon older than 2 years. 

There's a throw away line in The Hustler (1961) about Murray Hamilton. He's very well to do and fancy; he drinks 8 year old bourbons. In another scene, George C. Scott orders Paul Newman a pour of JTS Brown to celebrate a special occasion, their new partnership. Bottled in bond JTS Brown currently goes for $10. I believe it's only available in Kentucky. While I'm sure it's a fine daily drinker at that price point, it doesn't seem like a nice bourbon in the context of the film. 

When Kentuckians b**** about the death of Heaven Hill 6, I'm surprised the Heaven Hill people don't bring up JTS Brown BiB. They're still subsidizing the locals to a certain degree. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

Anybody tried the Widow Jane 12 year?   The guy at my local was pushing it hard this weekend.  ‘Better than Pappy’ he said.   For $99 , I passed. 

Widow Jane 12 year is sourced from MGP. So it's probably pretty good. It's not better than Pappy though. 

On 5/11/2019 at 8:40 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Hey long did age bourbon in Austin prior to Prohibition? How long have they traditionally aged bourbon in Texas? I don't think I've ever seen a Texas bourbon older than 2 years. 

There's a throw away line in The Hustler (1961) about Murray Hamilton. He's very well to do and fancy; he drinks 8 year old bourbons. In another scene, George C. Scott orders Paul Newman a pour of JTS Brown to celebrate a special occasion, their new partnership. Bottled in bond JTS Brown currently goes for $10. I believe it's only available in Kentucky. While I'm sure it's a fine daily drinker at that price point, it doesn't seem like a nice bourbon in the context of the film. 

When Kentuckians b**** about the death of Heaven Hill 6, I'm surprised the Heaven Hill people don't bring up JTS Brown BiB. They're still subsidizing the locals to a certain degree. 

Garrison Brothers Cowboy Bourbon is 8 years old at this point. Their Balmorrhea is 4 years old. Their yearly release is almost 3 year old bourbon at this point as well iirc

On 5/12/2019 at 12:23 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

It's between Weller Antique and Old Ezra 7 Year Barrel Strength for the best 7 year bourbon. I sill like Antique better, but I wouldn't argue with the Old Ezra side.

Old Ezra is a godsend in a sea of taters. 

Found a bottle tonight, if its 90% as good as OWA, I'll be searching out a backup. 

4 minutes ago, thestud said:

Full disclosure the 4G was opened. It was below secondary but above retail.

Whatever, I heard yesterday 4G is now going for ludicrous prices for SOME REASON.

Like $1000+

Can anyone confirm?

25 minutes ago, mbpcb said:

Downtown Atlanta... drinking a Manhattan at a steakhouse bar and a 2 oz pour of GTS for $20 is taunting me before dinner reservation. Decisions decisions....

I was in Port A recently, and had a 2 oz pour of Blantons....$30 dollars. Blood pressure went up slightly when I saw the bill. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, thestud said:

In the words of the philosopher Ice Cube: Today was a good day, I didn’t even have to use my AK

a0dd1fa209df66d8e5db1d7b8a853670.jpg

Holy shit! That’s a damn good haul. Did you get all of it on the secondary market?

2 hours ago, huge said:

I feel second rate after that post

dc023ff81270b1f4853f47ab67aab037.jpg

Lulz I feel ya, but that’s a good haul too.

41 minutes ago, mbpcb said:

Downtown Atlanta... drinking a Manhattan at a steakhouse bar and a 2 oz pour of GTS for $20 is taunting me before dinner reservation. Decisions decisions....

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Specs girl tried to get me to bite on Early Times BIB, wasn't sure, so I passed to gather more info. $23 for Liter ? Anyone tried it? Think it's a limited release. 

The Whiskey Jug guy gave it a B+, 87. He has a really good palate in my opinion and isn’t overly generous with his scoring. I’d pick it up for that price. 

http://thewhiskeyjug.com/bourbon-whiskey/early-times-bottled-bond-review/

Edited by billfromlaketravis

9 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Specs girl tried to get me to bite on Early Times BIB, wasn't sure, so I passed to gather more info. $23 for Liter ? Anyone tried it? Think it's a limited release. 

At least it wasn't some Texas swill.  That's a step forward in my estimation at Specs.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mbpcb said:

Going for 700 on 2ndary now. Don’t understand the price jump

They are not making it anymore. Last year of the four grain. The one replacing this is the Amaranth Grain of the Gods. It most likely will not be cheaper. Sounds like an expensive bourbon to me.

41 minutes ago, thestud said:

I have a connection at my TW that takes care of me and really knows bourbon. He was in the back doing something one day and some other slappy came by while I was waiting on him and tries to sell me on the Whitmeyer’s Peach whiskey being the best he’s had in years and definitely the best Texas made whiskey.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cdc20134c3076794d

10 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I love this stuff and especially at that price point.  It just came to TX after being a somewhat limited release previously - maybe it still is?  All of the Spec's in Fort Worth are sold out already.      

Ive never once asked for recs from in-store peers for beer, liquor, cider, or mead

Not sure how people dont do their research beforehand and instead rely on “opinions” of uneducated workers that are trying to only push shit product 95% of the time.

just use google, jfc. If you get screwed on a rec, thats on you

Edited by GreenspointTexas

Ok I am ready to report.

That Troubador is big time for a 6 year and about as good as you can find at that price point if you are into Proofers. Rolls like a better ECBP or the like. More complex anyway.

Highly recommend.

2oz $20

Just now, ISUCyclones said:

You are probably thinking of 1910. 1920 is on every shelf everywhere in ky at least. 

Nope.  1910 has been around here since it was released.  I'm guessing you see a lot better shit on the shelves in KY than I do in CO.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Nope.  1910 has been around here since it was released.  I'm guessing you see a lot better shit on the shelves in KY than I do in CO.

Well I'll be damned, complete opposite of here. 

Yes to the amount of good bourbon on the shelf at all times here though.