Bourbon

Jimbaround

5 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don’t disagree with any of that and I’m not frustrated. As a former product manager for a big company and a student of marketing I see the strategy and admire how well they execute. None of this works without a great product lineup.

Confused. Beyond the fact that their shit is delicious, BTAC is a fucking steal at retail. And the production is there for all to see. They aren’t manipulating the market. 

On 7/12/2019 at 1:11 PM, Neonmoon said:

I think I’m going to plan a Kentucky bourbon trip for my 40th. Always wanted to do the tours. Yes I’m old as fuck 

You think 40 is old as fuck ?  Yer in for a world of hurt when you hit 50 then matey.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2

Speaking of Buffalo Trace I’ve got an extra RHF, ETL, Blantons, WIlliam Larue Weller, and an extra W12 1.75L right now. I’m not interested in selling at the moment but would consider a barter either by the bottle or the lot. Currently looking for OFBB, Old Fitzgerald, and at the lower end 1910 because it is scarce lately (but by itself wouldn’t be enough).

Adding because o know this thread gets read: I don’t flip. I just bought more than I can drink soon. if I don’t recognize your handle I’m not interested, so don’t join surly and DM me.

Is it wrong that the one I want the most is the handle of W12?
  • Like 1

I can think of one, just one, place in Houston that sells Weller 12 handles. I should have cleaned them out a couple years back. One of my buying regrets. If you PM me and ask for the name of the place, I will tell you to f*** right off. 

The W12 market has become absurd. MSRP is less than a handle of Eagle Rare 10 handles.

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You think 40 is old as fuck ?  Yer in for a world of hurt when you hit 50 then.

I will be impressed if I make it to 50

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If the dates work, try to go when the leaves are changing. That's my plan. 

Unfortunately, the dates do not work 

10 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I might, but other than the William Larue I’m confident in being able to find more of those by the time I want more, and I don’t want to hoard stuff people are looking for if they’ve got something I can’t seem to find.

That's pretty damn admirable.

Sounds like you blew out your taste buds...

Not completely. Every once in a while I taste a bourbon that for me is undrinkable. Not sure which one it was, but I recently had a Four Roses (not the basic one) that I couldn't drink after just one sip. It had a unique flavor that I could not abide. It reminded me of the smell of turpentine. So I can get some nuances in bourbon and other alcoholic drinks.
A big one for me is wine. If a wine has any hint of oxidation (i.e., like a red wine that sits out at room temp for more than a night) I can't drink it. Some older wines that should be drinking great and that wine geeks at the same tasting love taste aweful to me. Yet I've never tasted a "corked" wine which experts say affects about 5% of all wine sealed with a natural cork. And I've tasted several 1,000's of bottles. Apparently it has a cardboard or wet newspaper taste/smell. I've never experienced that in a wine.

8 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It’s my favorite thing on that list.

I dunno. WLW trumps the 12 by a mile to these taste buds. Both still exceptional, however  

W12 USED to be in my daily drinker category.  Walk in to a store. Gonna buy some Weller. 12 is sitting there next to the WSR and the Antique. Gee...do I spend the extra $10 today?  

Those were my quandaries.  Those were the days, right?  And it wasn’t really THAT fucking long ago. Still bitter about it. 

• Like 3

Help me out here, I'm trying to trade up a lot of stuff, but having trouble with secondary valuations. How much should these go for:

W12 1.75s
OWA 1.75
OWA 750 store pick
GTS
THH
RHF

I got a guy who is willing to give me a 2018 GTS for two W12s, but I really don't like that year compared to 16 or 17. I really just want a 2018 THH. But my friends say I should just sell the W12s for ~300 each and buy a THH for $450 on secondary. What do you guys think?

15 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Help me out here, I'm trying to trade up a lot of stuff, but having trouble with secondary valuations. How much should these go for:

W12 1.75s
OWA 1.75
OWA 750 store pick
GTS
THH
RHF

I got a guy who is willing to give me a 2018 GTS for two W12s, but I really don't like that year compared to 16 or 17. I really just want a 2018 THH. But my friends say I should just sell the W12s for ~300 each and buy a THH for $450 on secondary. What do you guys think?

W12 1.75-   around $250

OWA 1.75-  $150-$160

OWA SP-  $100

GTS- $400-$450 depending on year.    17 & 18 go for that amount.

THH-  $35-$400  also depending on year.

RHF- $120-$140

www.bottlebluebook.com  is a good place to look for values.   

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 4:55 AM, HouTex said:

Not completely. Every once in a while I taste a bourbon that for me is undrinkable. Not sure which one it was, but I recently had a Four Roses (not the basic one) that I couldn't drink after just one sip. It had a unique flavor that I could not abide. It reminded me of the smell of turpentine. So I can get some nuances in bourbon and other alcoholic drinks.
A big one for me is wine. If a wine has any hint of oxidation (i.e., like a red wine that sits out at room temp for more than a night) I can't drink it. Some older wines that should be drinking great and that wine geeks at the same tasting love taste aweful to me. Yet I've never tasted a "corked" wine which experts say affects about 5% of all wine sealed with a natural cork. And I've tasted several 1,000's of bottles. Apparently it has a cardboard or wet newspaper taste/smell. I've never experienced that in a wine.

Four Roses small batch does that to me.  I like their run of the mill cheaper stuff, but the small batch tastes like it's been spritzed with some kind of cologne to me.  Maybe it's just the nose, but I don't like it, no sir.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

W12 1.75-   around $250
OWA 1.75-  $150-$160
OWA SP-  $100
GTS- $400-$450 depending on year.    17 & 18 go for that amount.
THH-  $35-$400  also depending on year.
RHF- $120-$140
www.bottlebluebook.com  is a good place to look for values.   
Thanks, never heard of that site, but that's helpful!

47 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

W12 1.75s
OWA 1.75
OWA 750 store pick
GTS
THH
RHF

I have a 2017 GTS I could probably be coaxed into parting with, but there's no amount of W12 that would do it. You should take that deal unless you really don't like 2018 Stagg. There's more W12 on the way and in process. There will never be more 2018 GTS.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

I have a 2017 GTS I could probably be coaxed into parting with, but there's no amount of W12 that would do it. You should take that deal unless you really don't like 2018 Stagg. There's more W12 on the way and in process. There will never be more 2018 GTS.
I mean, if I got the GTS 2018, I would try to trade it 1:1 for a 2018 THH. I think that's reasonable at least.
  • Like 1

Just now, Dutchrudder said:
8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I mean, if I got the GTS 2018, I would try to trade it 1:1 for a 2018 THH. I think that's reasonable at least.

Exactly, and I bet you can do that deal.

Haven’t seen any on the shelves in DFW.
I got the one I have from a fellow bourbon club member on FB for $100. That is about the going rate I’ve seen.
I’d happily pay more if I had to. It’s better than any store pick OWA I have tried except maybe the Harlen pick.
Cool thanks. I think if I offer the 2 w12s and OWA for the GTS and the Rye he may go for that. I'll see what happens.

I still can't believe RHF goes for 150 on secondary. I like the look of the bottle a lot, but the bourbon is average at best.

53 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Cool thanks. I think if I offer the 2 w12s and OWA for the GTS and the Rye he may go for that. I'll see what happens.

I still can't believe RHF goes for 150 on secondary. I like the look of the bottle a lot, but the bourbon is average at best.

I love RHF. To each their own. Of course I think W12 is better. And some think it’s garbage. Different strokes. 

The game plan this month is to grab as many bottles of Blantons and Eagle Rare as I can from every store in the area.  They just instituted a 1 bottle per day per person rule on the Blantons.

I'm calling all the local ABC stores, and asking about available stock . So far I've bagged 3 bottles of Blantons, going for an 8 count by August 1.  

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2

I'm winding down  the weekend with some Wild Turkey 101. Pretty good as always, but I'd like to get my hands on some 80-90's dusties. 

The bottle of Four Roses OBSF Single Barrel store pick was terrific. I should have bought two. I'd recommend any of Four Roses Barrel Strength Single Barrel recipes. 

I'm winding down  the weekend with some Wild Turkey 101. Pretty good as always, but I'd like to get my hands on some 80-90's dusties. 
The bottle of Four Roses OBSF Single Barrel store pick was terrific. I should have bought two. I'd recommend any of Four Roses Barrel Strength Single Barrel recipes. 
Are you on the Facebook Texas Whiskey and Beer exchange group? I saw a Houston guy post Old Weller from 1991 today. Only $2600 a bottle.

8 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Today I have had the following:
Michter’s Barrel Strength Rye
Michter’s 10 Bourbon
Michter’s 10 Rye
Michter’s Toasted Barrel Bourbon

All outstanding, but I’m giving the nod to the Barrel Strength Rye. It’s so damn good.

Delicious. Have you tried the barrel strength bourbon?  Strong to quite strong. Also, the toasted rye is money. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Delicious. Have you tried the barrel strength bourbon?  Strong to quite strong. Also, the toasted rye is money. 

Not yet.  I need those 2 to round out the poor man's Michter's line.  Odds are I will never have the opportunity or the resources for a M20.

On 7/13/2019 at 3:50 PM, USCATX said:

I have a couple 1910s just chilling. Also a Stagg Jr 11, EHT SiB, ECBP and some WFE 4 yr if any of that strikes your fancy for the RHF.  

I'm sort of interested in WFE 4 year. I've never actually seen it in the wild. Admittedly I don't look for Willet, but all I've noticed is 3 year. Have you tried it?

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

On 7/14/2019 at 3:27 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

The game plan this month is to grab as many bottles of Blantons and Eagle Rare as I can from every store in the area.  They just instituted a 1 bottle per day per person rule on the Blantons.

I'm calling all the local ABC stores, and asking about available stock . So far I've bagged 3 bottles of Blantons, going for an 8 count by August 1.  

Only 8,  you think you'll have enough?

7 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm sort of interested in WFE 4 year. I've never actually seen it in the wild. Admittedly I don't look for Willet, but all I've noticed is 3 year. Have you tried it?

Yeah, I’ve got a 114.4 proof open and it’s really good.  I bought them every time I found them for $40 or under and used one or two in trades.  It’s nothing like an older MGP or Barton rye, most comparable to Handy in that it’s young and hot-ish but packed with rye spice and citrus.  It crushes even 10+ year Alberta ryes as well.  

Cracked the 4R Small Batch Select and I like it. Reminiscent of Eagle Rare to me, maybe not quite as smooth.

I haven’t cracked the Legent yet but I got a pour of it at a bar on Saturday night. I’d already had a few so I don’t feel like I could judge it properly, but I think I liked it. Will crack mine soon. I did corrected by the bartender that it rhymes with “knee gent” not “head gent”.

Any Turkey experts on here? I need a ruling on a “dusty”. I bought a bottle of Wild Turkey 80 with Austin Nichols on the label for $30. Based on my online research, Campari removed Austin Nichols from the label in 2011, so I know it’s at least that old. It looks my bottle’s label was printed prior to 2011. It jives with the cashier’s story that the bottle was in storage for 10 years. 

I don’t expect much, but it’d be nice to get a unique, good bottle at that price point. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

53 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Any Turkey experts on here? I need a ruling on a “dusty”. I bought a bottle of Wild Turkey 80 with Austin Nichols on the label for $30. Based on my online research, Campari removed Austin Nichols from the label in 2011, so I know it’s at least that old. It looks my bottle’s label was printed prior to 2011. It jives with the cashier’s story that the bottle was in storage for 10 years. 

I don’t expect much, but it’d be nice to get a unique, good bottle at that price point. 

There are some decoders online if you want to hammer out the date.  I picked a handle of 80 proof AN Turkey from ‘09 last year but haven’t thought of a reason to open it.  

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What color is your label?  Brown or cream? Brown label with a straight facing turkey predates 1992 and is considered a “true” dusty.  This is Jimmy’s juice from the late 50’s thru the glut.  The 8yr 101pf bottles during this timeframe often contained bourbon much older than the age statement....that’s why they’re so damn good.  

Too bad the store didn’t have the 8yr 101pf.  It’s a good price for $30, but you’re still drinking Turkey on training wheels

16 minutes ago, Whiskyteer said:

What color is your label?  Brown or cream? Brown label with a straight facing turkey predates 1992 and is considered a “true” dusty.  This is Jimmy’s juice from the late 50’s thru the glut.  The 8yr 101pf bottles during this timeframe often contained bourbon much older than the age statement....that’s why they’re so damn good.  

Too bad the store didn’t have the 8yr 101pf.  It’s a good price for $30, but you’re still drinking Turkey on training wheels

It’s a cream colored label. 

Does anyone have any stories on counterfeit bourbon?  I have to believe it's rampant.  At GG a couple of days ago the sales guy said they can't keep the regular Weller on the shelf.  He said a few days ago one guy came in and bought their entire inventory of regular Weller.  How hard is it to re-seal bottles of W12 or other hard to find brands?

10 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Does anyone have any stories on counterfeit bourbon?  I have to believe it's rampant.  At GG a couple of days ago the sales guy said they can't keep the regular Weller on the shelf.  He said a few days ago one guy came in and bought their entire inventory of regular Weller.  How hard is it to re-seal bottles of W12 or other hard to find brands?

Not sure you can assume that buying out inventory of WSR means someone is refilling W12 empties?  I’ve seen out-of-towners come into Tx to buy inventory to resell in their home states/countries.  I witnessed some Japanese store-owners wipe out high end Suntory & Nikki products to haul back to the motherland.

The only story I have was right after that PVW heist from a few years ago. I was in a north Georgia liquor store and mentioned Pappy and the guy said the owner had some at his house. He had some prices scratched down in pen on yellow notebook paper and he wouldn’t let me take a picture of them. He said if I agreed then I’d have to pay now and meet the owner somewhere off site later. Felt extremely fishy, I passed.