Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Good haul this weekend: 

Another bottle of Michter’s Rye Barrel Sttength

Wild Turkey Rye 101 - Cream colored label, sideways facing turkey, Austin Nichols on the front and back label

Booker’s Toogie’s Invitation 2016-03

That's a great trio.  I also scored another BSR this weekend.  One of the best bottles I have had in a long time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Neighbor when’s the last time you cracked open a bottle of Old Overholt?

I like Old Overholt when I'm making Old Fashioneds. I can't recall ever drinking it neat. I'm surprised more bars don't use it for their rye cocktails. It's really solid and around $14 a bottle.  Many places in Houston use Maker's Mark instead of a rye in their Old Fashioneds. Not a fan. 

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Looking forward to your review. The next bottle I crack open needs to be a rye. 

In short; it’s pretty phenomenal. So much better than 2019-01. I’m no tastebud guru, but it’s full and packs a punch. The nose is really good too. Pretty smokey and has that Beam peanut hint that I like a lot. 

I’d say it’s worth buying if available to you. Don’t see how one could be disappointed.

Edited by Constant
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 2:58 AM, RaylanGivens said:

Fred Noe had a similarly memorable response to the question of how you should drink bourbon.

Nothing wrong with his answer but I think people like him misunderstand the question.  It’s not about validation for someone on how they drink it, some people are just curious how others like it best.   A new bourbon drinker might like to hear how an expert prefers it.  

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I love Bourbon Pursuit’s Bourbon Quickie this week. “King of Kentucky is a thumbs up.”

Oh by the way it’s only available in Kentucky, nearly impassible to find, and it’s $250. Cheers you out of state losers! 

Correction, it’s $250 for the people of Kentucky. Everyone else gets to pay $475

On 7/21/2019 at 7:20 AM, Paco said:
On 7/20/2019 at 4:19 PM, billfromlaketravis said:
I definitely understand what you're saying here. I don't like to have more than a couple open bottles at any given time, so much of the "systems" revolve around this. 
I strongly recommend decanting Stagg Jr. It's a different, better bourbon after a couple months in a decanter. 
We'll see what happens with the one year Poor Man's Pappy. 

The whiskey tastes "better" because alcohol has evaporated and lowered the proof. Of course some of the esters have evaporated along with the ethanol and that can also change the flavor profile, but mostly for the worse in my opinion. Either way, you really shouldn't be storing bourbon, or any whiskey, in a decanter for long periods.

Yep. Due to oxidation altering the taste of bourbon once the seal is broken you have about 5 months at normal cool temperature storage before it starts noticably altering the taste. When you break open an expensive bottle drink the shit out if it. 

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

Correction, it’s $250 for the people of Kentucky. Everyone else gets to pay $475

The Bourbon Pursuit guys are a funny lot. They belly ache like TexAgs if a bourbon isn’t abailable in Kentucky, but they celebrate Kentucky only releases. I guess they’re unfamiliar with double standards.  

23 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Yep. Due to oxidation altering the taste of bourbon once the seal is broken you have about 5 months at normal cool temperature storage before it starts noticably altering the taste. When you break open an expensive bottle drink the shit out if it. 

How airtight is the seal on an IW Harper 15 bottle? They use some kind of synthetic cork stopper. 

I guess I’m not really decanting in the traditional sense. I’m just taking the bourbon/rye and pouring it into another nicer looking bottle. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

I have pappy 20 stitzel in a mason jar. Because moonshine. 

Anyone want to blow a shit ton of Bonvoy points?

Experience an Exclusive Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 20 Year Bourbon Tasting Dinner at Draco Restaurant

Event Details

Only six bottles of the Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 20 Year Bourbon have been allocated to all of Canada, and the Toronto Marriott Markham is the only hotel to be given one. Celebrate the launch of this renowned bourbon, with an elevated six-course tasting menu and beverage pairing in The Hideaway Room, the private dining room of the restaurant Draco. Toni Hamilton, Director of Sales and Marketing at the premium beverage supplier Charton Hobbs, will attend this dinner and share the story of this rare bourbon. As part of the experience, the winner and a guest will stay in one of Toronto Marriott Markham’s M Club rooms which include exclusive access to the signature M Club Concierge Lounge where a full breakfast buffet is served the following morning.

Experience Includes:

• A six-course tasting menu and beverage pairing in The Hideaway Room, the private dining room of Draco (Wednesday, 21 August 2019 at 6 p.m.)
  • The story of Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon from Toni Hamilton of Charton Hobbs
  • A one-night stay in one of Toronto Marriott Markham’s M Club room (Wednesday, 21 August 2019)
  • Exclusive access to the signature M Club Concierge Lounge with full buffet breakfast
  • Access is for two people 
  • Must be 19 years of age or older to attend

https://moments.marriottbonvoy.com/moments/9309/auction/45912?nck=23843055&ck=23704150&lk=1000353789#event-details

2 hours ago, PsychMike said:

Anyone want to blow a shit ton of Bonvoy points?

Experience an Exclusive Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 20 Year Bourbon Tasting Dinner at Draco Restaurant

Event Details

Only six bottles of the Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 20 Year Bourbon have been allocated to all of Canada, and the Toronto Marriott Markham is the only hotel to be given one. Celebrate the launch of this renowned bourbon, with an elevated six-course tasting menu and beverage pairing in The Hideaway Room, the private dining room of the restaurant Draco. Toni Hamilton, Director of Sales and Marketing at the premium beverage supplier Charton Hobbs, will attend this dinner and share the story of this rare bourbon. As part of the experience, the winner and a guest will stay in one of Toronto Marriott Markham’s M Club rooms which include exclusive access to the signature M Club Concierge Lounge where a full breakfast buffet is served the following morning.

Experience Includes:

• A six-course tasting menu and beverage pairing in The Hideaway Room, the private dining room of Draco (Wednesday, 21 August 2019 at 6 p.m.)
  • The story of Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon from Toni Hamilton of Charton Hobbs
  • A one-night stay in one of Toronto Marriott Markham’s M Club room (Wednesday, 21 August 2019)
  • Exclusive access to the signature M Club Concierge Lounge with full buffet breakfast
  • Access is for two people 
  • Must be 19 years of age or older to attend

https://moments.marriottbonvoy.com/moments/9309/auction/45912?nck=23843055&ck=23704150&lk=1000353789#event-details

Go to Toronto?  Eat hotel food?  And listen to a liquor rep talk about Pappy?  That sounds fuckin’ terrible.....

33 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If there's any poor college students in this thread, I strongly suggest Early Times BiB. It's another home run from Old Forester, and it's $22.99 for a liter. I might like it better than current Wild Turkey 101. 

Better listen to him. He's in premed.

Wow, I went to Yardbird in Miami Beach tonight because I love their food so much. But I had never checked out their bourbon selection because most places here are focused on tequila and rum. I had Weller Antique, but there were so many good choices. The bartender even comped me small taste of EH Taylor. 

Here's the list: (they're out of most BTAC stuff)

https://www.runchickenrun.com/miami-menus/#beverages

8 minutes ago, PsychMike said:

Wow, I went to Yardbird in Miami Beach tonight because I love their food so much. But I had never checked out their bourbon selection because most places here are focused on tequila and rum. I had Weller Antique, but there were so many good choices. The bartender even comped me small taste of EH Taylor. 

Here's the list: (they're out of most BTAC stuff)

https://www.runchickenrun.com/miami-menus/#beverages

The Wild Turkey Forgiven caught my eye at $15. I'm a Turkey fan and I never heard of it until now. 

Also Michter's 10 for $25 isn't bad. If I had never tasted it, I'd be all over that. 

• Like 1

First time at Prohibition in Spring, TX. Incredibly reasonable place to sample and swill the ever-revolving menu of brown liquor. Shayla is cute as hell and actually gives a shit about the drinks she is slinging.

Sorry...no pics. But...her Sazerac was quite lovely. The drink was good, too...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, huge said:

Are you asking what else is available that is better that Weller reg?

WSR is Weller Special Reserve? Aka Weller reg?

Also I am in deep on 4R SBS so I need clarification

Just wanted to know what his “much better options for pretty much the same price” were. 

You prefer regular Weller over ER10?

I do. I just really like Wheaters and higher rye bourbons and I’ve never gotten into the BT Mashbill #1 line except at the very high end. They are obviously high quality top to bottom, it’s just not my thing. Eagle Rare is a good bourbon and I can appreciate it, but I wouldn’t seek it out.

Hell, I’ve got an unopened ER10 Single Barrel store pick from the place we don’t name from 2 years ago, because I’ve always got stuff I like more on hand.

• Like 1

I do. I just really like Wheaters and higher rye bourbons and I’ve never gotten into the BT Mashbill #1 line except at the very high end. They are obviously high quality top to bottom, it’s just not my thing. Eagle Rare is a good bourbon and I can appreciate it, but I wouldn’t seek it out.
Hell, I’ve got an unopened ER10 Single Barrel store pick from the place we don’t name from 2 years ago, because I’ve always got stuff I like more on hand.

Wanna trade it?

Nah- I’ll eventually get around to this one eventually. It’s good whiskey and I bought it to drink.

But I do have some good shit available for trade right now:

Rebel Yell 10

W12 1.75L (Old Label)

W12 1.75L (New Label)

GTS 18

ETL

RHF

Blanton’s

Looking for

OFBB

Old Fitzgerald

Sazerac 18

6 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The f***? 

The four letter word Houston liquor store puts out some respectable store picks. If they do another Buffalo Trace Store Pick, I'm buying every f***ing bottle in the store. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

The f***? 
The four letter word Houston liquor store puts out some respectable store picks. If they do another Buffalo Trace Store Pick, I'm buying every f***ing bottle in the store. 

Goody Goody’s picks are really good as well, especially their KC and Blanton’s ones.