Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

Is Sam Houston 18 a buy at $130?  Anyone try it lately?

I had a pour of the 15 year, and to say I was less than impressed would be generous. I thought it wasn't good at all, but that's just me. The friend I was drinking it with didn't like it either. 

1 minute ago, BigDHornfan said:

Apple cinnamon all day.
Pretty damn good pickup for $65.
9a43623ee25714a33b264adfd7d008aa.jpg

Great stuff!  If you’re an amburana fan you’ll probably also like Bossa Nova, the amburana finished Doc Swinson. I think it’s 5-6 year MGP for like $70. I found a bottle at Total Wine recently and have enjoyed my first few pours. 

Great stuff!  If you’re an amburana fan you’ll probably also like Bossa Nova, the amburana finished Doc Swinson. I think it’s 5-6 year MGP for like $70. I found a bottle at Total Wine recently and have enjoyed my first few pours. 

That’s a great one.
I’ve drank 2.

Been on a big amburana kick lately and so far this one I did myself has been the best one I’ve had.
ebcba24787d29f790d3c92f7c33af3c7.jpg
Killed this bottle in 4 days.
Need to slow down.
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

That’s a great one.
I’ve drank 2.

Been on a big amburana kick lately and so far this one I did myself has been the best one I’ve had.
ebcba24787d29f790d3c92f7c33af3c7.jpg
Killed this bottle in 4 days.
Need to slow down.
emoji23.png

School me on how this works.  You just pour the bourbon and cubes in a decanter or some other bottle then filter out the cubes after 5 days and pour the bourbon back in its bottle?  

2 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

School me on how this works.  You just pour the bourbon and cubes in a decanter or some other bottle then filter out the cubes after 5 days and pour the bourbon back in its bottle?  

1. Buy these:
https://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/amburana-wood-cubes-medium-toast-2-oz/beer-brewing-oak
2. put 7 of them in a bottle of your choosing

3. Taste after a couple of days and once it gets to your liking, pour the bottle into another container, get the cubes out and put the bourbon back in its bottle.

4. ??????
5. Profit

The cubes are very small but potent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Surly whiskey drinkers, what’s a good mid priced rye? My wife has gotten into Manhattans in a big way. She’s been drinking Bulleit, but I started googling and looks like it’s just made in a big factory in Indiana with a bunch of other brands. Feels like fuckery to me. What can I get that’s more authentic in that price range?

Surly whiskey drinkers, what’s a good mid priced rye? My wife has gotten into Manhattans in a big way. She’s been drinking Bulleit, but I started googling and looks like it’s just made in a big factory in Indiana with a bunch of other brands. Feels like fuckery to me. What can I get that’s more authentic in that price range?

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I like High West Rendevous for a sipper and use Bulleit for my old fashioneds.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

I’m missing the joke, unfortunately. Wikipedia indicates that a lot of rye is made in the same factory, including Bulleit. Just wondering if I’m paying a premium for commodity liquor. 

You are referring to MGP (Midwest Grain Products of Indiana). 
It's not a factory, but it's a pretty damn big distillery that has been making bourbon and rye for years now and is a major supplier for a fuck ton of producing and non producing distilleries.  Their rye mash bill of 95%rye and 5% malted barley is really good and their bourbon mash bill is damn tasty as well.  
There is nothing wrong at all with MGP stuff and most of their older barrels are great and fetch a lot of money on the secondary market.   you don't need to have concerns about paying for MGP.  Majority of the bottles that contain their distillate are really good.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, tokamak said:

I’m missing the joke, unfortunately. Wikipedia indicates that a lot of rye is made in the same factory, including Bulleit. Just wondering if I’m paying a premium for commodity liquor. 

Much of the best rye and bourbon is made in big factories.  Also, MGP is great so no need to feel bad for liking Bulleit rye.  Maybe mix in some Pikesville  if you want to try Kentucky Rye from a big factory or the Jack Daniel’s rye. 

9 hours ago, tokamak said:

Do you like straight ryes, 95-5 ryes (MGP), Barton ryes (80% rye), Jack ryes (70-18-12), or barely legal ryes (51% rye)? There are also many finished ryes. 

The Jack single barrel eyes are really good. Both the barrel strength and the 94 proof are great. 

On 9/6/2023 at 8:04 PM, Yev Kassem said:

Picked up a bottle of this and it is a cinnamon bomb. Makes me think of drinking wassail with a cinnamon jolly rancher in my mouth. I think it would be a great christmas bourbon.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Finally landed the one great bottle from the last year that kept eluding me.
Retail too. Yesterday was a good day.
68a33fa201c40abd023f4bd970b48494.jpg
And had the best fucking Blanton’s I’ve ever had last night during the game.
Singapore pick of LMDW.
Fuuuuck it was incredible.
2653a5a92c5f435b9fee36f240719abf.jpg
ee915e6ade2faec8469095b9fffb2fad.jpg

What’s the age on the Blanton’s?

On 9/17/2023 at 4:11 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Finally landed the one great bottle from the last year that kept eluding me.
Retail too. Yesterday was a good day.
68a33fa201c40abd023f4bd970b48494.jpg
And had the best fucking Blanton’s I’ve ever had last night during the game.
Singapore pick of LMDW.
Fuuuuck it was incredible.
2653a5a92c5f435b9fee36f240719abf.jpg
ee915e6ade2faec8469095b9fffb2fad.jpg

I would like to try their Blanton’s, the Eagle Rare was very good.  Funny on the Parker’s this late while the 10 year rye is coming out.