Starlink

RPM

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/12/2022 at 12:44 PM, Catpfish said:

Has anyone else's speed slowed?  Mine measured at 30 down and 4 up this morning.  The speed has really been pretty crappy since I had to power cycle the dish, dropping from the 110 down range to the current 30.

During the day mine is in the double digits. At night I do have better speeds. Right now I am about 70/4, last night 125/10.

Since this post, how have speeds been? Sub 50 is pretty low, I wouldn't expect that to last a while.

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but be careful if you move to starlink. My system is mounted at the top of my house, with no obstruction within a hundred yards, and loses connection in any type of rain. This is what my connection is doing right now and has been down all afternoon. They say they are aware of a degradation of service in my area (Pflugerville) and are working on it, but who knows what that means.

That said when it works, which admittedly is most of the time, it's pretty good but my wife has had to work from a mobile hotspot at least twice in the last 2 weeks.f6e9e6e53d448d15e69ced0ce489bbda.jpg

12 hours ago, Catpfish said:

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but be careful if you move to starlink. My system is mounted at the top of my house, with no obstruction within a hundred yards, and loses connection in any type of rain. This is what my connection is doing right now and has been down all afternoon. They say they are aware of a degradation of service in my area (Pflugerville) and are working on it, but who knows what that means.

That said when it works, which admittedly is most of the time, it's pretty good but my wife has had to work from a mobile hotspot at least twice in the last 2 weeks.f6e9e6e53d448d15e69ced0ce489bbda.jpg

I'm curious, are you near any power lines or a transformer station or any potential sources of significant EM interference? Or it's possible that some of the satellites in the orbital track that cover your area are having issues, so you're getting poor coverage when the unhealthy nodes are serving you

We got ours in Colorado last week.  Max is about 30 mbps download.  We are having some buffering issues.  Overall, disappointed with it.  Called our installer and his response was:  lots of new service that is taking up bandwidth, so until new satellites are up, expect slower speeds.  With limited internet choices here, everyone is getting Starlink.  Every house around us has it.

6 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

We got ours in Colorado last week.  Max is about 30 mbps download.  We are having some buffering issues.  Overall, disappointed with it.  Called our installer and his response was:  lots of new service that is taking up bandwidth, so until new satellites are up, expect slower speeds.  With limited internet choices here, everyone is getting Starlink.  Every house around us has it.

Yeah, they really need to get a lot more sats in the sky. How is the service compared to your alternatives?

4 hours ago, Gladeite said:

I was out at my Scurry County place over the weekend and noticed that our speed is was down. Was 220+ when it was installed in the spring, now its more like 40 or 50.... and fubo is constantly buffering. Hopefully the new batch of satellites fixes it... and it's still tons better than the cellular internet we had before Starlink. 

4 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, they really need to get a lot more sats in the sky. How is the service compared to your alternatives?

For me, it has been a questionable decision.  We had Centurylink DSL.  We were getting consistent 10+ Mbps download speeds.  We were able to run all devices, stream unlimited shows, never a problem.   Maybe should have considered staying.

All of my neighbors have cancelled Centurylink so usage is way down which may have resulted in having great(for rural Colorado) service.  Also, fiber had been run all the way to our Centurylink trunk. 

All of my neighbors now have Starlink which may be causing download speeds to decrease.  A positive is that we only have to pay for Starlink when we are here.  Months that we are not in Colorado, we can suspend service.  The price works out about the same as Centurylink.

20 hours ago, MoJames said:

Signed up about a year ago, should be showing up in the next 3-4 months, so fucking ready. Been dealing with download speeds at a max of around 5 for the past 10 years.

This is me, put my deposit down a long time ago.  I pay for long range wireless (Ubiquiti equipment) and get 3-5 mbps and it's the only option I have other than traditional satellite service.  Help me Elon, you're my only hope.

Well, the dream is over.  I'm canceling Starlink.  Went out on Tuesday at 5pm with clear weather and no electrical issues (that's a whole 'nother story and fight with Oncor).  Haven't been able to get it back up at all.  Starlink had sent a replacement router and it worked perfectly for 2 weeks, and then poof.  Verizon home 5G is not available just east of Pflugerville, so I guess I'm going back to Rise Broadband.

The thing that really sucks about Starlink is no technical support.  It takes them over 24 hours to contact you by the app or online account, so no real time assistance.  Here's the kicker.  It took me three tries to get a ticket submitted online (had to hotspot my phone to my laptop because I couldn't do anything via the browser on my phone) because you can't submit anything through the app if your system is down.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2022 at 9:49 AM, Catpfish said:

Well, the dream is over.  I'm canceling Starlink.  Went out on Tuesday at 5pm with clear weather and no electrical issues (that's a whole 'nother story and fight with Oncor).  Haven't been able to get it back up at all.  Starlink had sent a replacement router and it worked perfectly for 2 weeks, and then poof.  Verizon home 5G is not available just east of Pflugerville, so I guess I'm going back to Rise Broadband.

The thing that really sucks about Starlink is no technical support.  It takes them over 24 hours to contact you by the app or online account, so no real time assistance.  Here's the kicker.  It took me three tries to get a ticket submitted online (had to hotspot my phone to my laptop because I couldn't do anything via the browser on my phone) because you can't submit anything through the app if your system is down.  

That sucks, but the lack and speed of support has been a major complaint of the service. That really blows that you had this issue.

For those still on, have you seen the new TOS update? Long story short, they paved the way for data caps. Their service has been grinding to a halt slowly and this sounds like the way they are going to address it.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/spacexs-starlink-quietly-mentions-high-speed-data-caps-are-coming-for-us

As a whole their service is fine where I have it in N. Vermont, but other areas, not so much. Any thoughts on quality?

52 minutes ago, RPM said:

There's a special section of hell reserved for CenturyLink.

But they’re rebranding again when they buy up another small provider!

CenturyTel->CenturyLink->ItDontMatterTheNameWeStillSuck

48 minutes ago, royiv said:

They will be sharing the level with Cox.

Add mediacom to that list as well.

• 3 months later...

Been a while since we chatted about Starlink, and since they decided to do something stupid, it's time to chat about it:

image.png.7b711c2a8590207faf1552d2c7f5a9d2.png

For people in areas that are in limited capacity areas, their paragraph is this:

image.png.1b3bfa36cd8efce4c49f09a46f7533dc.png

It really looks like they are just throwing shit on the wall and seeing what sticks. Frankly, they are the ones that control service/capacity, so we the customer appear to be at their mercy - if they don't provide enough capacity, then we are paying the price, if they aren't close to saturation, we get the benefit. I am not unhappy to get a price break, but this really sucks for people in saturated areas.

Just got my Starlink kit today here in Mexico. We have 150mb fiberoptic service with Telmex, but the recent outages pissed me off enough to price Starlink. It's a weekly, sometimes daily issue; some CFE moron working on power lines disconnects the line; someone trying to steal cable/power cuts the line; rats/squirrels eat the line. Fucking ridiculous.

Anyway, here in Mexico, Starlink equipment is $425 and $57 monthly. Setup took 10 minutes on the roof and I was getting 90/90 standing next to the router. Downstairs I'm getting maybe 30/30, but that won't improve until I receive the ethernet adapter and connect it to my mesh system.

Starlink delivered in 3 days, which is a miracle in Mexico. The only issue was that the dish was really dirty and obviously used. They didn't even bother to wipe it off before they put it in the box.

Still waiting on the Starlink kit for my house in Austin; ordered early 2022 and the website says maybe 2024.

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

Just got my Starlink kit today here in Mexico. We have 150mb fiberoptic service with Telmex, but the recent outages pissed me off enough to price Starlink. It's a weekly, sometimes daily issue; some CFE moron working on power lines disconnects the line; someone trying to steal cable/power cuts the line; rats/squirrels eat the line. Fucking ridiculous.

Anyway, here in Mexico, Starlink equipment is $425 and $57 monthly. Setup took 10 minutes on the roof and I was getting 90/90 standing next to the router. Downstairs I'm getting maybe 30/30, but that won't improve until I receive the ethernet adapter and connect it to my mesh system.

Starlink delivered in 3 days, which is a miracle in Mexico. The only issue was that the dish was really dirty and obviously used. They didn't even bother to wipe it off before they put it in the box.

Still waiting on the Starlink kit for my house in Austin; ordered early 2022 and the website says maybe 2024.

Planning to keep both fiber and starlink? Or just starlink?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Just switched from Starlink to FIber. No regrets.

image.png.10899cfa8b4d8962d03cad8a5680a5b5.png

The connection is far more stable too. I'm not done with Starlink fully, I'm going to send it to my folks who still can't get anything good just outside of Dripping Springs. But that is it with the experiment here. 

I did take a dip in speed, as this is only 50/50 (for now), but that's a consistent 50/50 while Starlink was whatever they felt like that moment.

Edited by Captain Ron