Texas vs. ACU - First Round - 8:50pm on truTV/TNT

Pancho

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I’m as amazed at those who are shocked by this loss as I am by those thinking Shaka gets fired.

Have you watched this program for the last six years? Of course we were going to struggle with a pressure defense team. We turn the ball over with regularity and only have one guy who can handle the ball. We take shitty shots and get panicked quickly. We don’t shoot threes well unless we’re wide open. We have no offensive identity. Of course this game was going to be close.

Shaka isn’t going to get fired for the same reason we’ve dealt with mediocrity in basketball and football for a decade. This program has never cared about excellence in athletics. Never. And it’s not going to change now.

Shaka Smart will not be back.

I mean, a big part of keeping Shaka a year ago was the recruitment of Greg Brown, right?

Greg Brown, who played six minutes last night.  Six.  Took one shot and hit it.  I know he wasn’t the only athletic mismatch on the floor, but he was a ridiculous mismatch for anyone on ACU.  And whatever the holes are in his game, he is a high-effort rebounder, which was a brutally glaring need for us.  

But he hardly saw the court. 

And yes, I understand he’s had temper issues and maturity issues, but he’s also been on campus for a FUCKING YEAR, and I know someone who made many millions of dollars during that time, and their job description is to mold Greg Brown into a great player, and to win tournament games.  

I’ll marvel at his athleticism next year when he’s matched up against gifted big men like Miles Turner and Mo Bamba. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

End of the day, Texas is not a basketball school.  None of the real basketball programs get their rocks off if they beat Texas.  Oh sure, shit ass teams like ACU get a kick out of it, but programs like Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, etc. they expect to beat Texas.  Texas will beat them every now and then but very rarely when it really matters.  It took an absolute freak of nature named Kevin Durant to get Texas to its one ONE final four in school history.  That's shit.

If you are going to talk shit, at least know what you are talking about. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Pancho said:

Why the fuck wasn’t GB on the floor? But on the sidelines, he was doing the hepa team spirit shit. I guess because he knew he was getting paid regardless if we won or lost.

The fact that Shaka got almost nothing out of a 5 star like Brown while he still acts like a 10 year old sums up everything that is wrong with our current program.

Zero discipline. Zero organization. The main reasons I quit caring about Shakaball three years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I heard CDC wasn’t going to make a move after Urban turned us down until Sarkisian knocked his interview out of the park. I just can’t see a move being made here, not one game after winning the Big 12 (tainted or otherwise).

Can we stop saying this? Lucking into a three game win streak to win the conference tournament is not the same thing as having the best record in a 18 game conference season. We won the Big 12 tournament not the conference title. I always hate this stupid dual champion thing. It is useless in the Big 12 and only matters in the conferences where only the tournament champ makes it in. I couldn’t give 2 shits about winning a tournament where we dodged both KU and Baylor.  

Edited by jinx
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, jinx said:

Can we stop saying this? Lucking into a three game win streak to win the conference tournament is not the same thing as having the best record in a 20 game conference season. We won the Big 12 tournament not the conference title. I always hate this stupid dual champion thing. It is useless in the Big 12 and only matters in the conferences where only the tournament champ makes it in. I couldn’t give 2 shits about winning a tournament where we dodged both KU and Baylor.  

We also didn't have to play Kansas and got an extra day of rest over the other team.  Don't discount that either.  

25 minutes ago, jinx said:

The fact that Shaka got almost nothing out of a 5 star like Brown while he still acts like a 10 year old sums up everything that is wrong with our current program.

Zero discipline. Zero organization. The main reasons I quit caring about Shakaball three years ago. 

The lack of discipline in the entire program is just maddening. The stupid fouls, the turnovers, the lack of adjustments, and the fucking lack of knowledge to know this was the smallest team in the tournament and we didn’t pound it inside all fucking game. 

Middle school coaches know that shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

End of the day, Texas is not a basketball school.  None of the real basketball programs get their rocks off if they beat Texas.  Oh sure, shit ass teams like ACU get a kick out of it, but programs like Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, etc. they expect to beat Texas.  Texas will beat them every now and then but very rarely when it really matters.  It took an absolute freak of nature named Kevin Durant to get Texas to its one ONE final four in school history.  That's shit.

So tired of this bullshit rationalization. Neither was Florida. Was Virginia a blue blood?

You  play to win , you have a program to compete. If you don’t want to compete, don’t have a program. Go back yo your nursing home with that “Texas is not a basketball school” shit.

12 minutes ago, El Squared said:

So tired of this bullshit rationalization. Neither was Florida. Was Virginia a blue blood?

You  play to win , you have a program to compete. If you don’t want to compete, don’t have a program. Go back yo your nursing home with that “Texas is not a basketball school” shit.

There are four programs that are legitimate blue-blood threats to win it all every most years and who will recruit multiple future lottery picks: Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky.  After that there is a jumble of schools whose success will depend on the current coach and the right mix of players: UCLA, Louisville, Villanova, UConn, are some of the ones that float to the top. No reason Texas couldn’t join that mix.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

There are four programs that are legitimate blue-blood threats to win it all every most years and who will recruit multiple future lottery picks: Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky.  After that there is a jumble of schools whose success will depend on the current coach and the right mix of players: UCLA, Louisville, Villanova, UConn, are some of the ones that float to the top. No reason Texas couldn’t join that mix.

You said rape twice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Dang, Kentucky is twice the blue-blood than the rest? Impressive 

15 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

We got really close, but Rick Barnes was our coach. 

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'd add UCLA as a basketball blue-blood

They would be the fifth in and the Wooden era will never be repeated. But they also are distant to Kansas in terms of recent conference titles, recent final four and runner up appearances, and being in the conversation to win a title.  The Big XII is probably a tougher top to bottom basketball league than the PAC and KU dominates the conference. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

I don't think Shaka gets fired. $7mm buyout in the same year of covid cuts and a massive football staff buyout. Plus, all these guys could come back next year (Kai and Brown almost certainly won't, but no one else is getting drafted..)

Feel bad for Coleman. He's been a great leader but had a terrible night. 7 TOs and 4 fouls including the game-loser

no chance of getting drafted doesn't stop basketball players from leaving early.

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

The lack of discipline in the entire program is just maddening. The stupid fouls, the turnovers, the lack of adjustments, and the fucking lack of knowledge to know this was the smallest team in the tournament and we didn’t pound it inside all fucking game. 

Middle school coaches know that shit. 

pound it inside to who? Sims? We tried, over and over, he has no interest in drawing fouls, just give up and make a lazy ass pass back outside.

19 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

How does a team that literally had one player kill his teammate and then the coach helped attempt to cover it up work their way to a 1 seed and we can't even win a tourney game.  

One word:  Volume.

They also cover up gang rapes because Baptists are fucking idiots.  This state, because of insulated wealth and belief system doesn't acknowledge that it's not too many brown people here.  It's too many stupid people, too many religious zealots, too many good ole' boys interested in one thing...preserving their little slice of the Lone Star.  We're surrounded on all sides by empowered stupidity, empowered zealotry, and empowered racism.  I can't fucking wait to this false idol worship is over with and we laugh on the graves of every fucking idiot that ever called this patch of Earth, home. 

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

One word:  Volume.

They also cover up gang rapes because Baptists are fucking idiots.  This state, because of insulated wealth and belief system doesn't acknowledge that it's not too many brown people here.  It's too many stupid people, too many religious zealots, too many good ole' boys interested in one thing...preserving their little slice of the Lone Star.  We're surrounded on all sides by empowered stupidity, empowered zealotry, and empowered racism.  I can't fucking wait to this false idol worship is over with and we laugh on the graves of every fucking idiot that ever called this patch of Earth, home. 

Cloak Room is > that way, Bro... 😉

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Cloak Room is > that way, Bro... 😉

Rape and the Baylor Baptist Church is politics now?  Wow, any other memos I should read before you rejoin normalcy?