Ski Season 18/19

texasdago

Well they were pretty used to it.  Put me on a hospital bed.. the place looked sort of like a mini-ER with a few of them.  Put me on a monitor and for a few mins. discussed running me down to the local hospital, but once I barfed I recovered quickly, although not nearly enough to get up and go.  It took a good while for me to recover strength etc.  Jr. had to drive me back to the hotel but once I got on the bed I fully recovered within 10 mins.  Next day I was fine.

Yeah, sure hope I don't repeat it this year.

22 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

5000 at home. The ski hill is 7 or 8 I think. 

The other ski hill in red lodge Montana hasn’t gotten the usual amount either. 

That blows. Lookout pass still has 125 inches up top and it was 62 degrees in the parking lot when I pulled out on Thursday. It was basically powder every day in February and the first 2 weeks of March and now it's immediately transitioned to bluebird spring days. Been unreal. 

On 3/23/2019 at 3:32 PM, phdhorn said:

Yeah yeah, I know... I do (of course then have to run off to piss somewhere), but this is the first time I ever had that happen, in hundreds of ski days.  Not sure but assume it was altitude... although we didn't go to A-Basin first, it ain't the best place before you're acclimated.  The base alone is 10,780.  Hell I didn't even make it halfway up.  Started feeling a little woozy and within 2 minutes I had vertigo so bad I had to lay down on the slope.  It took every inch of determination I could muster just to make it down a fairly short run to the First Aid hut.  I got there and fucking collapsed.  They thought I had a heart attack.  I didn't only because I had been through it before.  Eventually you force yourself to breathe normally (your body wants to gasp/hyperventilate) and having a few similar experiences exactly like that (and none of them at altitude, which is why I'm still confused if it was that), I repressed the huge breaths - which make you want to barf (which is a good thing, trust me on this). Once you blow your guts, you're fine.  And that's what happened.

I've had 3-4 similar experiences like that, all of the others due to motion.  I used to go on any carnival rides,  boats, etc.  And still can, usually.  But a few times it just bites me in the ass... I get dizzy and absolutely fucking sick in my head and stomach.  It's definitely a "I want to fucking die rather than sustain this" feeling.  But at least I know how to get past it.  I would have to imagine that this round had to do with altitude, but not the other ones.  And yeah I know better than to drink half a liquor store on the plane up (the plane back, another story).  And this week, starting midweek I'm going to slam water etc. for Friday.  Geezuz I hope that shit stays away because it was terrible.  Like I said, we were at Keystone day 1, Breck day 2, and nothing.. not a whif of sick.  Then the 3rd day, boom.  And I took pains to drink while there.  

I've spent at least 10 summers in the mountains west of Denver - at 9,000 minimum altitude.  Never had anything even coming close to what happened last year.  So I don't really know what it was, but if it happens again, I'll have to forego skiing and take up something I can handle, like cornhole tossing (a real sport, look it up).  But it won't.  I am confident.

Or I'm just getting old as fuck and need to get a wheelchair and grab womens' asses. Worked for 41.

Ouch, that's got to be scary.  Glad it all turned out OK.

On 3/23/2019 at 4:04 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Last weekend at the local hill, and we’re not going because it’s been in the 50s and sunny all week, and there wasn’t much of a base to begin with. 

The April Switzerland trip is a no go, so now I turn my attention to the possible mid October trip to Frankfurt and what possibilities may exist there, with kids in tow. 

There's always July-sept in Chile.....

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This is closer

https://beartoothbasin.com/

i should go up there on July 4 so all of the Texans on my social media feeds can be confused. 

Thats at 11,000 feet btw. Hell of a drive. 

Yeah, but high season, epic powder conditions, at a world class resort (Portillo), above the tree line, on glaciers might be a bit more gnarly....  but any day on any hill is better than no day on any hill.

Markedly better day today. Got on the lifts early even though the fam didn't make it out for a few more hours (which was fine by me). Hit most of the top by 11:30, and then just cruised greens and blues with them for the rest of the day. Summit shot.
3d41bdbf4d459ae7ce325dd755ff8786.jpg

• Like 1

There's no doubt that A-Basin can throw people off so, yes, I get acclimating at Keystone.  Agree about water... went to Copper Mountain once and had not had enough water and I was white as a sheet.  Then water water water and everything got better.  I preach that repeatedly to my kids.

My kids were worries when we took them up to this glacier exhibit while we were in Switzerland but they were fine... its located just underneath the world's highest revolving restaurant at 11,480 feet... they were only walking around and I had them drink water before we went up there.  If anything, it's a little weirder being inside a glacier.

Yeah, think so.  You take the train up through some village, Kleine Scheidegg or something, and it actually goes through the mountain and comes up in a station that's cemented into the side of the mountain (pretty cool).  The ice cave is there.  The day we went it was spectacular, blue skies and man looking down that glacier was amazing (I still have to get used to the concept there that the mountains/colder weather was to the south).  It was really cool.  I have some pics but not sure if I can dig 'em up too quickly, if so I'll post a few.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

I'm not sure it was either.  But altitude probably didn't help.  Something more with vertigo IMHO.

Maybe just your chemistry that day combined with altitude and possibly not being hydrated enough.  I've had the sudden onset of vertigo combined with general weirdness, leading to the puke/feel better ending.  Maybe you were going to have one of those that day regardless of where you were, but being at A Basin sure didn't help.  

Edited by PRONG HORN

18 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Here is a tough question for Houston-based skiers...

1) Who is the best boot fitter in Houston?

I realize that the "best" may mean "only".  I can only think of two Sun & Ski locations and maybe (but probably not) REI 

JP at Sun and Ski Westheimer.  Salt and pepper hair, earring.  

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well we all get old brah....

Dass' proally what it is.  Fuck age.  For me, fuck at any age is a win.

Anyhoo, looks like mid-winter coming to Colorado for my mini-trip.  All 3 days temps won't make 30°.  Snow showers but not a massive dump.
If Denver can hold onto their asses and not come up in droves, should be an awesome weekend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

Are you looking for the whole thing from sale to tweak?  Ideally you go out and ski a recently tweaked boot so someone can make minor adjustments.  JP is the guy to do the tweaking and is probably a solid salesman.  The first pair I bought back in 92 were with his help.  

If you’re just buying a pair right now, these local stores don’t carry the better models and you can’t really tweak a boot from this spring to next winter.  

Maybe just your chemistry that day combined with altitude and possibly not being hydrated enough.  I've had the sudden onset of vertigo combined with general weirdness, leading to the puke/feel better ending.  Maybe you were going to have one of those that day regardless of where you were, but being at A Basin sure didn't help.  

I’d also been in the CO mountains 50+ times with zero issues...until Breck two years ago. Drove in at tail end of recovering from a nasty cold. Unloaded the car while watching us whip mizzou. Had a couple beers but couldn’t catch my breath. Woke up 3am anxious / feverish, shit gets in your head. Buddy takes me to ER and my blood oxygen was at 70. Doc said “out of town” colds can lead to mega respiratory issues with sudden altitude climbs and that my 70 oxygen level that could have led to brain damage / death if ignored via drunk pass out sleep. I got prescribed oxygen tanks 24/7 for 5 days with zero skiing. CSB.

14 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Dass' proally what it is.  Fuck age.  For me, fuck at any age is a win.

Anyhoo, looks like mid-winter coming to Colorado for my mini-trip.  All 3 days temps won't make 30°.  Snow showers but not a massive dump.
If Denver can hold onto their asses and not come up in droves, should be an awesome weekend.

Denver pretty much checks out this time of year...everybody switches to summer mode. I know I’m mentally done with this winter.

17 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Are you looking for the whole thing from sale to tweak?  Ideally you go out and ski a recently tweaked boot so someone can make minor adjustments.  JP is the guy to do the tweaking and is probably a solid salesman.  The first pair I bought back in 92 were with his help.  

If you’re just buying a pair right now, these local stores don’t carry the better models and you can’t really tweak a boot from this spring to next winter.  

So, my Black Crows skis and Tyrolia bindings just arrived so I need someone to mount them.  Kind of need a boot to mount them and I want to buy boots so someone who can sell me the boots and then mount my bindings but I want someone who knows what they are doing.  If you've been doing it since '92, I would assume you know what's up.  I'm curious to see what they have in boot selection... some good ones on the web page but wonder what is in stock.

Part of me is tempted to wait until next season and do it in all in a ski town in March.  

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Kind of need a boot to mount them and I want to buy boots so someone who can sell me the boots and then mount my bindings but I want someone who knows what they are doing.  some good ones on the web page but wonder what is in stock.  Part of me is tempted to wait until next season and do it in all in a ski town in March.  

To get them mounted now just go see JP and tell him what you want and that you don't have a boot yet.  The best answer is to just use any boot if you know your shell size. 

I don't know if SnS has winter stuff still on the shelves.  Didn't you get some Orbs?  Don't under power those skis with an intermediate boot.  I would get boots at a mountain shop, or a city that skis a lot and has shops with gear on the shelves year round.  

26 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

To get them mounted now just go see JP and tell him what you want and that you don't have a boot yet.  The best answer is to just use any boot if you know your shell size. 

I don't know if SnS has winter stuff still on the shelves.  Didn't you get some Orbs?  Don't under power those skis with an intermediate boot.  I would get boots at a mountain shop, or a city that skis a lot and has shops with gear on the shelves year round.  

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  I don't know my shell size, though.  Maybe I can contact the place in Saas Fee and see if they can tell me what I had last time.  Tried two different boots... the second pair was a narrow boot and my feet were much happier.  Don't worry... I'm going to spend on some good boots.  That's more important than the skis.

Welp, I wasn't too far from the store so I swung by but JP wasn't working today.  Will call next time before I go in.  Looking at the selection of boots they had on hand (we'll see about sizing), they seemed to have about 25 different boots but on display on the wall doesn't mean anything.   I'll try again and see what's up.

Got an opportunity for a Tahoe or Mammoth trip over Easter weekend (need to be in Reno for work).

It's been many, many moons since I was at either Alpine Meadows or Squaw.  What's the scoop as I can't even remember.

Girlfriend prefers groomers but can ski almost anything if that helps.  I'm leaning towards the 3 hour drive to one of my favorite areas, but SquawPine intrigues me. 

Edited by Upgrayedd
PS: Doing Ikon pass for next season and that allows new purcasers to use this spring

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Nah man, I'm not going to practice how to mount bindings on my new skis.  After I buy the boots, I'm letting someone else do that for me.  I have zero experience so its money well spent to have someone take care of it.  

Opportunity to make a deal.  "Hey, if I get these boots, mount my bindings?"

Well, with a purchase they mounted the bindings for $25 instead of $75.  Also, since I bought boots, the custom fitting, molding of the liner/footbed was all in... and I got an extra 10% off so I'm happy.  Now I need to find a way to get a long weekend to Tahoe or Mammoth or somet other place.  

Well, with a purchase they mounted the bindings for $25 instead of $75.  Also, since I bought boots, the custom fitting, molding of the liner/footbed was all in... and I got an extra 10% off so I'm happy.  Now I need to find a way to get a long weekend to Tahoe or Mammoth or somet other place.  

Going to Mammoth over Easter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3-day trip summary:  Fri and Sat were good, cloudy and cold @Keystone (Fri) and A-Basin (Sat).  Pretty hard packed most places, definitely mid-winter, not spring conditions, esp. that time of year with temps not getting out of the 20's on the mountain.  

Have never seen so much snow in the Summit areas, ever, at this point (late March).  Tons of snow.
Had a pretty good lil' storm blow through late Fri which seemed to have affected Copper much more than the others.  Skiing by far best at Copper.  Sunday was absolutely gorgeous most of the day, cloudless but again cold... temps about 30°.  Most of the lower mountain runs were crusty but not icy, just very "scrapy".  However the snow up top was phenomenal, particularly for the late date.   Buoyed by no winds and endless visibility, I enjoyed all the bowls up there (Celebrity Ridge drops, Spaulding, etc.).  Snow was remarkably soft and even, that snowfall helped a few days earlier.  Crowds weren't there all weekend, obviously "mud season" hit Denver and not a lot of bodies on the slopes, relatively speaking.  I even found some unskied stuff with shin-depth.  Very pleasantly surprised.  About 1:30 a little disturbance rolled in but I had done so much up top by then I was happy to just do some cruisers to finish out the trip.  Sunday by far the best day, that day worth it alone.  Might post a pic if I can get jr. to send 1-2 over.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:50 PM, texasdago said:

Here is a tough question for Houston-based skiers...

I realize that the "best" may mean "only".  I can only think of two Sun & Ski locations and maybe (but probably not) REI 

Nobody.  I have done 4 pairs of boots in Houston.  I have done 2 with JP at sun and ski, and 2 others with different people.  I haven't felt like any of them were really all that great.  I did the surefoot thing a few weeks back in deer valley, and that is 100% worth the extra money to do that whole custom fit process.  I will never do boots any other way again.  ever.  The variance in comfort between the shit liners that come in off the shelf boots and the surefoot liner/process is as vast as the mind can comprehend.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Going to Mammoth over Easter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't regret it.  Hopefully they get a few more storms.  Such a big mountain you can ski different areas every day so it's like going to a new mountain each time.

4 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

Nobody.  I have done 4 pairs of boots in Houston.  I have done 2 with JP at sun and ski, and 2 others with different people.  I haven't felt like any of them were really all that great.  I did the surefoot thing a few weeks back in deer valley, and that is 100% worth the extra money to do that whole custom fit process.  I will never do boots any other way again.  ever.  The variance in comfort between the shit liners that come in off the shelf boots and the surefoot liner/process is as vast as the mind can comprehend.  

Welp, that was a little late.  I had Bob fit me and I was happy with the process... the boots I picked get great reviews.  If anything, I can always get the surefoot liner process at a later date.  Meanwhile, JP is mounting my bindings.

Mammoth, Timberline, Squaw, all on the radar.  Shoot, I'm fine with Snowqualmie... whatever.  Just want to ski.

Edited by texasdago

I have done 4 pairs of boots in Houston.  I have done 2 with JP at sun and ski, and 2 others with different people.

Was thinking about this.  4 pairs.  Is this Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times, won't get fooled again, fool me four times, f'f'f'fooolin' ? 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 10:04 AM, pepper brooks said:

I’ve often wondered about this place. I’m planning on buying a whole new set of hardware at the end of the season. How much do these customs run and how long does it take?

10 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I’ve often wondered about this place. I’m planning on buying a whole new set of hardware at the end of the season. How much do these customs run and how long does it take?

Depends. The full custom boot liner where they inject the material into the liner is about $700 plus the cost of the boot shell.  You’re looking at 1,100-1,500 drowning on how much you want to spend on the boot.  That said, damn it’s worth it. Best money I’ve spent on skiing by far. 

9 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

Depends. The full custom boot liner where they inject the material into the liner is about $700 plus the cost of the boot shell.  You’re looking at 1,100-1,500 drowning on how much you want to spend on the boot.  That said, damn it’s worth it. Best money I’ve spent on skiing by far. 

F

That

10 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

that's a a lot of extra money to drop on something most people do 3-4 days a year.  

The only reason to go to Surefoot is if you have a boat load of disposable cash, or your feet are fucked up.  You can get very comfortable boots in the $300- $600 range all day. Proper boot fitting by a guy at the slopes not a guy in the flat lands is crucial IMO.

I have 2 friends who've complained about their boots forever because of foot issues. They both sprung for the Surefoot option and problem solved.  The nice thing about Sure foot is it's a life time guarantee.  You can get them tweaked by any Surefoot location anywhere in the world for free once you've made the purchase.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

that's a a lot of extra money to drop on something most people do 3-4 days a year.  

I didn't say it was cheap.  That said, I skied the first day in my old boots, and I literally couldn't do it again.  No way, no how.  I went in, got a new setup with the fully custom liner and was able to ski first to last lift for the first time in years.  My boots are now "comfortable".  Admittedly I have really bad feet.  I have broken both feet, and 9 of my 10 toes so my feet are likely more finicky than most.  It was definitely worth it to me, but youre correct in that it is a lot of money to drop for a few days per year.