Ski Season 18/19

texasdago

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
10 hours ago, Loco said:
There isn't a sane boarder out there that wants to be on your stupid mogul runs....   moguls suck
-my knees

Then why are so many of them on there fucking up my bumps?

They thought those were your moms bumps?

IDK, make a wrong turn, you're on the back end of a powder day every run is bumped/tracked up, or you could just remind yourself that snowboarding saved the entire industry.

At the end of the day, the only important fact is that I'll never have to wear Ski boots again... remember that when you're teetering like a peg legged donkey up and down steps at the lodge.

3 hours ago, Loco said:

They thought those were your moms bumps?

IDK, make a wrong turn, you're on the back end of a powder day every run is bumped/tracked up, or you could just remind yourself that snowboarding saved the entire industry.

At the end of the day, the only important fact is that I'll never have to wear Ski boots again... remember that when you're teetering like a peg legged donkey up and down steps at the lodge.

I see boarders on bump runs fairly consistently and they mostly just scrape off the powder, and leave icy warts.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So I might be spending a few days in April in dornach, Switzerland, at the French/Swiss/German border.

Can I ski in April?  Is there a train to take to get to a mountain?

In Switzerland, there is a train that can get you anywhere in the country. We entered the country via Basel, and people were hopping on the train with ski gear. 

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I see boarders on bump runs fairly consistently and they mostly just scrape off the powder, and leave icy warts.

Yep.  They just slide down the run sideways, scraping all the loose snow off as they go.  It's rare that a boarder can actually ride well on moguls.  Maybe 1 in 20 I see can do it?

33 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yep.  They just slide down the run sideways, scraping all the loose snow off as they go.  It's rare that a boarder can actually ride well on moguls.  Maybe 1 in 20 I see can do it?

If they went down the slope sideways, they probably didn't want to be there...  that's the snowboard equivalent of the slow plow...  Boarders don't want any part of moguls trust me

17 minutes ago, Loco said:

If they went down the slope sideways, they probably didn't want to be there...  that's the snowboard equivalent of the slow plow...  Boarders don't want any part of moguls trust me

I wish I could believe you, but I saw it dozens of times the past 2 days I skied.   It's not like you end up on bump runs at Mary Jane by accident.

28 minutes ago, Loco said:

Yeah, that's just not what I see far too often. I see them leave groomer runs, and dive into the bump runs and just fuck 'em up royally.

• Like 1

There is a big difference between groomers, un groomed, and mogul fields...  If your point is boarder should stick to only groomed runs...  well then we're just gonna agree to disagree

but a snowboarder heading into moguls on purpose to destroy them...  seems like a dick move if they do that, which for the record, I seriously doubt

Edited by Loco

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

There is a big difference between groomers, un groomed, and mogul fields...  If your point is boarder should stick to only groomed runs...  well then we're just gonna agree to disagree

I just mean there are lots of slopes (groomed and ungroomed), with bigger bump runs down the sides, and I see boarders fuck em up all the time.

On 1/21/2019 at 10:44 AM, Loco said:

but a snowboarder heading into moguls on purpose to destroy them...  seems like a dick move if they do that, which for the record, I seriously doubt

Yeah, I avoid mogul runs as much as I can, but you can't always anticipate them before you get to a point of no return.  I typically try to work the sides of those runs as there tends to be fewer steep moguls.  But sometimes you just gotta get down however you can.  I can't imagine dudes doing it just to fuck with the run.

28 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, I avoid mogul runs as much as I can, but you can't always anticipate them before you get to a point of no return.  I typically try to work the sides of those runs as there tends to be fewer steep moguls.  But sometimes you just gotta get down however you can.  I can't imagine dudes doing it just to fuck with the run.

I don't think they're doing it intentionally, but their form going thru 'em fucks them up. All the side sliding is like an ice scraper.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Here's a hint for you if you ever ski Winter Park - if you go down a run marked as a black, it will be full of moguls.  Presumably the snowboarders that ride there know this, yet there they are, all the fucking time.

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Thoughts on Brighton as an alternative to Snowbird?

brighton is my base resort every spring break.  never been to snowbird so i can't tell you the difference.

brighton has a shitton of boarders.  it's a local's resort.  there's a ton of really fucking good snowboarders who ride there.  don't expect anything in the way of amenities.  one main restaurant and one restaurant/bar for apres ski.  cheaper lift tickets.  kids under 10 ski/ride free.  night time skiing offered.

great western is where many of the advanced riders ride.  western trail catwalk can be REALLY sketchy, especially if the wind is blowing.  if you want to do thor, thunderhead, sunshine triails, best to come from snake creek life.  if there is fresh powder, go play on milly express.  milly express is another great area to play and lines will be non-existent.  it can get icey depending on the time of year.  lines are never that bad anywhere on the moutain. 

mormons rest on sunday.  so if you go on sunday, it's even less crowded.  it never gets overly crowded.

check out snowbasin.  that's my second favorite resort in SLC area.

• Like 1

Whistler is in relatively low coastal mountains, I'm not worried about the lungs, but noodle legs could be a legit problem...  it's like 7k foot vertical drop.  I like to stay up at the lodge up top as late as possible and let the slopes clear out, then race to a specific bar at the base...  last one buys first round.

On 1/25/2019 at 6:17 PM, Loco said:

Whistler is in relatively low coastal mountains, I'm not worried about the lungs, but noodle legs could be a legit problem...  it's like 7k foot vertical drop.  I like to stay up at the lodge up top as late as possible and let the slopes clear out, then race to a specific bar at the base...  last one buys first round.

I've been working the stairmaster pretty good for my Park City trip in a few days.  And for the last month I have been shitting on the 10th floor (office is on the ground floor) in order to get the legs ready.  I've found stairs are the best replicator of the snowboard leg burn.

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

I've been working the stairmaster pretty good for my Park City trip in a few days.  And for the last month I have been shitting on the 10th floor (office is on the ground floor) in order to get the legs ready.  I've found stairs are the best replicator of the snowboard leg burn.

The son sets a treadmill at the highest incline then stands backwards and squat walks up it backwards, 3 sets of 45-60 second reps.  

Shabu for dinner, or yer a loser...... 

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The son sets a treadmill at the highest incline then stands backwards and squat walks up it backwards, 3 sets of 45-60 second reps.  

Shabu for dinner, or yer a loser...... 

My buddy whose place we're staying at (ridiculous 10K+sf house) has our dinner lined up for Friday and Saturday.  Not sure where, but he never steers us wrong.  Thursday night eat in at the house.  Most people are going up Wednesday but I have a work conflict, so headed up Thursday.  Have to connect through Vegas.  I hope I don't go on  a heater during my 1.5 hr layover and wake up in a blackout.

14 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

My buddy whose place we're staying at (ridiculous 10K+sf house) has our dinner lined up for Friday and Saturday.  Not sure where, but he never steers us wrong.  Thursday night eat in at the house.  Most people are going up Wednesday but I have a work conflict, so headed up Thursday.  Have to connect through Vegas.  I hope I don't go on  a heater during my 1.5 hr layover and wake up in a blackout.

He's got PC sewed up tight probably. Lots of great places on Main street.  

I like canyons over PC skiing, but both have great terrain. I think Canyons is prettier, and a bit more back country feeling.  We typically see mooses in the Canyons, never have on the PC side.

9 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

My invite must have got lost in the mail.

Headed to Steamboat tomorrow.  Looking forward to it.  Haven't been skiing in 10 years but for the 20 before that, we went at least two times a year for a week at a time.
I decided to not rent a car and did not make dinner reservations anywhere.  
You probably want reservations if you go to cafe diva. Best restaurant in steamboat.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, someone else recommended reverse elliptical, which seems pretty easy, but when you do it, it burns like a mother, quickly.   

I loathe the elliptical... I find the motion so awkward.  For me, when it comes to cardio to prep for skiing my go to is either a Concept 2 rower or getting on a spinning bike.  One thing you can do is get on a treadmill, set the incline to 15 and put it on a nice slow place... then basically squat down and walk sideways (kind of shuffling, slow walking side-to-side) to burn the glutes and the legs.  Sucks but effective.   You can also do this backwards.

Here... found a better description...

"Backwards Treadmill Walk
Start walking very slowly on the treadmill at 2-3 miles per hour. Increase the incline as high as it goes. Very carefully, turn around so you’re facing backwards—your toes should be pointing toward the end of the belt, like you’re walking backwards uphill. As you walk, drop to a squat so that your knees are at nearly 90 degrees—similar to the tuck position of skiing. This exercise builds strength endurance in the quads and glutes and will build up your lactic acid threshold allowing you to ski longer and harder."

Yeah I headed back to the gym yesterday in preparation...   I learned that I am out of shape and doughy AF...   Quads hurt so bad today...

For exercises that suck but are effective...Squats (jump squats), burpees, calf raises, and battle ropes.  Lunges are also great, but I don't do them, my knees are too shot for that.

Yes on jumping lunges, squat jumps, etc.  I think unilateral training is really good so one leg RDLs, pistol squats etc. 

Also think... quads are important, yes, but glutes and hamstrings are super important, especially as it relates to those muscles helping to protect your knees.  

These are the exercises I use... not every day, not always together but you can see the "menu" I work from.  Some are heavier, some are lighter.

Romanian Deadlift, Barbell Hack Squats, Landmine Romanian Deadlift, Landmine Deadlift, Squats, Goblet Squats, Goblet Squats on a Bosu Ball, Kettlebell Swings, Walking Lunges, Step ups, Farmers Walks, Jumping Lunges, Band Walks, Medicine Ball Slams, Side to Side Skaters, Static Squats on a Bosu Ball, Side to Side band walks... I could go on...