Ski Season 18/19

texasdago

Well, got my lil' trip booked for the season.  Only 3 days... arr. Fri. morning and will ski Friday-Sunday.  Jr.'s co-oping in Dallas so he'll fly out after work on Fri. night and I'll go pick him up.  Mar. 29-31 is the only time we could both go.  A little late but since it's been a good snow year, I have faith.

Frisco stay, probably a day each in Breck/A-B/Copper or whatever the fuck tickets/ticket package I can wrangle.

Not much but it's better than nothing.  But I have new eyes now (post-cataract surgery mid-Feb) and am so looking forward to that alone my nuts hurt with anticipation.

Looking forward to this mini-trip.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Well, got my lil' trip booked for the season.  Only 3 days... arr. Fri. morning and will ski Friday-Sunday.  Jr.'s co-oping in Dallas so he'll fly out after work on Fri. night and I'll go pick him up.  Mar. 29-31 is the only time we could both go.  A little late but since it's been a good snow year, I have faith.

Frisco stay, probably a day each in Breck/A-B/Copper or whatever the fuck tickets/ticket package I can wrangle.

Not much but it's better than nothing.  But I have new eyes now (post-cataract surgery mid-Feb) and am so looking forward to that alone my nuts hurt with anticipation.

Looking forward to this mini-trip.

3 days on the hill is better than 3 days somewhere else !!

On 2/22/2019 at 9:35 AM, CHIEF said:

I went to Ft Lewis College, in Durango, my freshman year, and we had a 50" dump one night. I had a season pass to Purgatory, went up with a buddy of mine. We tied about 100 feet of orange survey tape to each ski, and started hitting the three runs that were open. I ended up up head down and was close to being unconscious before being dug out. Scariest moment in my life. Buddy has been a ski patroller in Telluride for 30 years.

CHIEF

I remember being in thigh deep powder at Kirkwood, Tahoe and falling face first.  went to push myself up and arms just went right into the softness.  Was able to roll a little bit sideways to breathe but gotdam if that was scary for a bit.  

In steamboat right now. Skiing is absolutely amazing. A little chilly but otherwise, mountain is almost deserted. My wife has never skied before and took her first lesson on Saturday. She practiced a bit on the bunny hill yesterday and has been on greens with me all day. About to head a little further up the mountain.

I love this place so much that I want to move here.

• Like 1

LOL, these are for sale on Denver Craigslist, 25 bucks:
01111_euu8pydjEBO_600x450.jpg

Atomic R:EX skis.  An all-mountain fatter ski particularly good in powder.   I know they originally retailed at $700 when new (about 2004).
I used to ski on these puppies, maybe I should stop by and pick 'em up, lol!

Today I usually rent, because renting is essentially dirt cheap and I get to use the latest/greatest equipment... I only ski on Atomics, they are to me by far the best-responding ski I've ever been on for my taste.  I don't ski enough to buy my own, plus save the hassle of lugging the mofos to/from/thru the airports.  However I'm going to start going more days beginning next year, so we'll see.

Most of you who have skied since the 70's know that the technology started rapidly changing about 1985 or so and it seemed a waste to buy new skis, because 2 years later an entirely different dynamic was introduced.  However the technology essentially seemed to have settled by 2004-5 or so, with the shaped/shorter skis.  Those Atomics were awesome.  Who knows, maybe I'll grab 'em, although getting a new ski bag will be 2-3 times the $ that the skis are!  Anyway, just saw this and laughed.

Edited by phdhorn

I've spent enough time looking at these ski reports from Jackson Hole. Last minute trip is booked. 

image.png

Also, this is a great resort on the other side of the Teton range. Targhee is way less crowded then Jackson and always worth a visit if in the area. 

image.png

Edited by Telegraph_it
  • Like 3

LOL, these are for sale on Denver Craigslist, 25 bucks:
01111_euu8pydjEBO_600x450.jpg

Atomic R:EX skis.  An all-mountain fatter ski particularly good in powder.   I know they originally retailed at $700 when new (about 2004).
I used to ski on these puppies, maybe I should stop by and pick 'em up, lol!

Today I usually rent, because renting is essentially dirt cheap and I get to use the latest/greatest equipment... I only ski on Atomics, they are to me by far the best-responding ski I've ever been on for my taste.  I don't ski enough to buy my own, plus save the hassle of lugging the mofos to/from/thru the airports.  However I'm going to start going more days beginning next year, so we'll see.

Most of you who have skied since the 70's know that the technology started rapidly changing about 1985 or so and it seemed a waste to buy new skis, because 2 years later an entirely different dynamic was introduced.  However the technology essentially seemed to have settled by 2004-5 or so, with the shaped/shorter skis.  Those Atomics were awesome.  Who knows, maybe I'll grab 'em, although getting a new ski bag will be 2-3 times the $ that the skis are!  Anyway, just saw this and laughed.

I just went the opposite route. Always owned boots and rented demo skis, but after spending $80 x 4 days at Crested Butte for New Years I made the plunge. Blizzard Bona Fide which is in the one ski quiver range. Also got a rolling dakine ski bag that easily holds skis, poles, boots, helmet, plus some jeans and sweaters. Flys free on Southwest. Dig those Craig’s list gems you found.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Buy a good set of skis and boots, and they'll pay for themselves in a couple years, and no hanging out with the poors at the rental shop sniffing weed, wax and sweaty socks....losing time at either first chair or are ski.  Rental on a good set of high quality skis for a week isn't cheap.

Hmmmm... well maybe that's your experience but I've been renting for 30 years now (last pair of skis was about 1980).  1) The rich hang out at the rental shops, too; 2) sniffing weed - no but damn where can I do that? 3) sweaty socks.. whose?  Not mine.  4) losing time at the first chair or are[sic] (apre) ski - never. 5) Rental for performance package equipment for 3-4 days usually runs about 100 bucks - not peanuts (remember, if I were the "poors" I wouldn't be able to afford it), but no big deal at all.

It takes about 30 minutes total (nowadays everything's filled out online and ready to go), I get the best equipment and can choose day-to-day.

I've never had to lug shit around airports, didn't have to take up a bag with ski stuff, and like I said, can try 4 different pairs of skis a day if I want (only takes 5 mins. to swap out, and middle of the day is right in/right out) - and I can pay a few bucks to cover insurance (like $3.day) if I don't want to worry about theft or damage.  There are definitely advantages as well as disadvantages to both.

Yeah in the a.m. with 20 kids per family is a drag, but I haven't done that in 25 years.. I go the night I get there and that's that.  Poof.

Like I said, I will buy skis here in the next year or so, especially if I go > 7 days a year again,  but renting is always a great experience, has been, and will be this trip, and for anyone who can't get out for more than 3-4 days per year.  If you think otherwise, I wonder how long it's been since you've rented... it's nothing, zero, zilch, nada, like it was 15 years ago or even 20.  

Edited by phdhorn

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

Hmmmm... well maybe that's your experience but I've been renting for 30 years now (last pair of skis was about 1980).  1) The rich hang out at the rental shops, too; 2) sniffing weed - no but damn where can I do that? 3) sweaty socks.. whose?  Not mine.  4) losing time at the first chair or are[sic] (apre) ski - never. 5) Rental for performance package equipment for 3-4 days usually runs about 100 bucks - not peanuts (remember, if I were the "poors" I wouldn't be able to afford it), but no big deal at all.

It takes about 30 minutes total (nowadays everything's filled out online and ready to go), I get the best equipment and can choose day-to-day.

I've never had to lug shit around airports, didn't have to take up a bag with ski stuff, and like I said, can try 4 different pairs of skis a day if I want (only takes 5 mins. to swap out, and middle of the day is right in/right out) - and I can pay a few bucks to cover insurance (like $3.day) if I don't want to worry about theft or damage.  There are definitely advantages as well as disadvantages to both.

Yeah in the a.m. with 20 kids per family is a drag, but I haven't done that in 25 years.. I go the night I get there and that's that.  Poof.

Like I said, I will buy skis here in the next year or so but renting is always a great experience, has been, and will be this trip.

You're getting a sweetheart deal from somebody at $100 for 304 days. $60-$70 a day at most places in Breckenridge (advertised that is)  currently. 

8 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You're getting a sweetheart deal from somebody at $100 for 304 days. $60-$70 a day at most places in Breckenridge (advertised that is)  currently. 

Where’s that price? The mountain? PHD’s deal is real if he rents in Frisco, Silverthorne, or, hell, Denver. 

15 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I can understand Breck, but you'd be a complete idiot to rent around there (and obviously there are a lot of idiots who do).

I've never paid more than $200 for a 7-day rental, more like $150 for the 3 or 4 days I go on average.  And that's not "surly bullshit" to make my point.  Here's a screenshot of one of the places I've gone over the past 15 years, Virgin Island in Dillon, this is current:

rates.png

The Demo package (cheaper if you get only skis/poles obviously), entire thing... and they are fucking great skis, and like I said you can swap out every day and test new ones if you want (although granted that would be a hassle).  

Like I said, I've been doing this since the Reagan Administration and I know the market. There are definitely smaller shops at the slopes that charge a lot more for ignorant folks (and of course a lot of families don't know better), but with just a little planning I can ski on nice equipment for fairly cheap.

Renting in the 80's was brutal.  It was slow and the equipment was half-assed.  But it's a totally different thing now.  And the inexpesive places offering expert-level equipment at low rates is much more the rule than the exception.  Sure if you go there at 8 a.m. on a Monday it's going to be a zoo.  But part of that is just working around it - I rent the night before a trip and turn 'em in on the way to the airport on the way home.  I don't have to go into the shop again, and if I want to get extra days I just call 'em.  It's almost hassle-free in most places.

Is it more economical than buying?  No, but it's not bad.  And like I said, over the 80's-90's technology changed so much that you had to essentially buy every 2-3 years to keep up (the transition from skinny boats to shaped skis).  Nowadays the technology has settled and your skis from 2008 or so are still more or less up to date (save for better materials now, 10 years later).  I am not saying in any way, shape, or form that renting is better than buying, but it's not nearly as bad as the rep.  And if you go only a few days per year, it's better IMHO.

Anyway, yes I am going to buy skis if I know I'll finally have the time (after raising kids and not having the time or $$ to take long trips) and I definitely intend to buy eventually.  But not for < 10 days per year, it's DEFINITELY not worth it to me, especially dragging shit through airports/to rental cars, etc.  However I expect to be back to the 15 or so days per year now, so yeah, I'm going to buy my Atomics (the only ski for me as I said) next year.  I have half a mind to buy those R:EX's I posted for $25 (!!!) although those skis are from about 2005 and you sat a lot higher on the binding than Atomics now.

Spoiler

I just put $20 down in Vegas on a "so that's what the poorz do, man up and get some skis" post coming in now. O/U 3 posts.  Let's get it, Surl!

Edited by phdhorn

I can understand Breck, but you'd be a complete idiot to rent around there (and obviously there are a lot of idiots who do).

I've never paid more than $200 for a 7-day rental, more like $150 for the 3 or 4 days I go on average.  And that's not "surly bullshit" to make my point.  Here's a screenshot of one of the places I've gone over the past 15 years, Virgin Island in Dillon, this is current:

rates.png
The Demo package (cheaper if you get only skis/poles obviously), entire thing... and they are fucking great skis, and like I said you can swap out every day and test new ones if you want (although granted that would be a hassle).  

Like I said, I've been doing this since the Reagan Administration and I know the market. There are definitely smaller shops at the slopes that charge a lot more for ignorant folks (and of course a lot of families don't know better), but with just a little planning I can ski on nice equipment for fairly cheap.

Renting in the 80's was brutal.  It was slow and the equipment was half-assed.  But it's a totally different thing now.  And the inexpesive places offering expert-level equipment at low rates is much more the rule than the exception.  Sure if you go there at 8 a.m. on a Monday it's going to be a zoo.  But part of that is just working around it - I rent the night before a trip and turn 'em in on the way to the airport on the way home.  I don't have to go into the shop again, and if I want to get extra days I just call 'em.  It's almost hassle-free in most places.

Is it more economical than buying?  No, but it's not bad.  And like I said, over the 80's-90's technology changed so much that you had to essentially buy every 2-3 years to keep up (the transition from skinny boats to shaped skis).  Nowadays the technology has settled and your skis from 2008 or so are still more or less up to date (save for better materials now, 10 years later).  I am not saying in any way, shape, or form that renting is better than buying, but it's not nearly as bad as the rep.  And if you go only a few days per year, it's better IMHO.

Anyway, yes I am going to buy skis if I know I'll finally have the time (after raising kids and not having the time or $$ to take long trips) and I definitely intend to buy eventually.  But not for

Spoiler I just put $20 down in Vegas on a "so that's what the poorz do, man up and get some skis" post coming in now. O/U 3 posts.  Let's get it, Surl!

I totally get your sentiment, especially with changing technology, but stopping in Denver, Frisco or Dillion means you have to be traveling through during shop open hours, have the right car, not be taking a shuttle/car service, not care about needing adjustments, not being able to swap out skis, etc. Surly hereby commands that you buy skis now damnit!

I just looked, and pricing at the local outdoor shop in town is $29 plus 4 for daily and $199 plus 20 for seasonal. 

Since there’s plenty of places 8 hours away or less by car, that’s probably a decent cost to be in new gear every season. 

We bought used demos, but rent the kids’ xc stuff. It’s even cheaper. 

Never flown with skis, would probably just rent.  

Edited by Pato del Muerto

21 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

I totally get your sentiment, especially with changing technology, but stopping in Denver, Frisco or Dillion means you have to be traveling through during shop open hours, have the right car, not be taking a shuttle/car service, not care about needing adjustments, not being able to swap out skis, etc. Surly hereby commands that you buy skis now damnit!

True, but: 1) Most in-town rental shops are open until 8-9 which is plenty of time and open at 6-7, it's never been a big problem; 2) well we still need to rent "the right car" even if I brought my own skis; phd. jr. is bringing his board bag, so I gotta get it there/back as well.  Obviously if you shuttle to/from Denver that's not a real problem, but we won't ever do that probably.. we like the car for the flexibility to go to different areas (we do use the Frisco/Dillon public bus and know it well... some destinations (Breck and Copper) are pretty easy from Frisco, only about 1/2 hour and you get dropped off pretty handily.. Keystone and A-B are longer and more indirect.  Anyway we got a good deal on a pickup this trip so just throw the shit in the back and go; 3) adjustments have been zero for me.. with high-end equipment the DIN settings seem to work fine.  Swapping is the only hassle, yes... the swap itself is quick but going into town etc. is a pain... but for me I know which ski I want and usually stick with it all my ski days... but I have curiously swapped out here/there.

Anyway yes I am going to look at the Atmoic all-mountains with a little fat for powder (I don't go nearly enough to get separate ski types)... this year it's the Vantage, but who knows next year.  That ski with bindings is close to a grand, so it ain't cheap.  Throw in the bag, etc. and you are looking over four figures.  Which is why I'd consider used.

But back to my original point of the $25 cheapies on Cragslist... I would seriously absolutely by them if I didn't have to worry about getting them back home.. hell I could buy them and leave 'em back on the hill.. consider it a $25 weekly rental... can't beat that!

But yes, now that I have some life (and money) back from the kids leaving the nest (well I have 2 years until Jr. finishes at UT but light in tunnel, etc.) I will be going more and getting my own set for the first time since John Travolta was banging the dancing chicks in that movie with the Bee Gees soundtrack.

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

True, but: 1) Most in-town rental shops are open until 8-9 which is plenty of time and open at 6-7, it's never been a big problem; 2) well we still need to rent "the right car" even if I brought my own skis; phd. jr. is bringing his board bag, so I gotta get it there/back as well.  Obviously if you shuttle to/from Denver that's not a real problem, but we won't ever do that probably.. we like the car for the flexibility to go to different areas (we do use the Frisco/Dillon public bus and know it well... some destinations (Breck and Copper) are pretty easy from Frisco, only about 1/2 hour and you get dropped off pretty handily.. Keystone and A-B are longer and more indirect.  Anyway we got a good deal on a pickup this trip so just throw the shit in the back and go; 3) adjustments have been zero for me.. with high-end equipment the DIN settings seem to work fine.  Swapping is the only hassle, yes... the swap itself is quick but going into town etc. is a pain... but for me I know which ski I want and usually stick with it all my ski days... but I have curiously swapped out here/there.

Anyway yes I am going to look at the Atmoic all-mountains with a little fat for powder (I don't go nearly enough to get separate ski types)... this year it's the Vantage, but who knows next year.  That ski with bindings is close to a grand, so it ain't cheap.  Throw in the bag, etc. and you are looking over four figures.  Which is why I'd consider used.

But back to my original point of the $25 cheapies on Cragslist... I would seriously absolutely by them if I didn't have to worry about getting them back home.. hell I could buy them and leave 'em back on the hill.. consider it a $25 weekly rental... can't beat that!

But yes, now that I have some life (and money) back from the kids leaving the nest (well I have 2 years until Jr. finishes at UT but light in tunnel, etc.) I will be going more and getting my own set for the first time since John Travolta was banging the dancing chicks in that movie with the Bee Gees soundtrack.

Meh   I bet you rent bowling shoe's as well .... : )

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Meh   I bet you rent bowling shoe's as well .... : )

BIte your fucking tongue!  I got these:
NMX46RH_mz.jpg
https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/gucci-leather-lace-up-bowling-shoe-sneakers-prod210630141?ecid=NMCS__GooglePLA&utm_source=google_shopping&adpos=1o1&scid=scplpsku178910387&sc_intid=sku178910387&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzePjBRCRARIsAGkrSm7Ca0t-oRhPdgKNgxITi6SgsV5Gg5JJEA5g5fUnlXv6aFsOcuv4ZQ0aAuA5EALw_wcB"

You can get 'em dirt cheap at Nieman Marcus for $1,290.  I didn't pay a penny over $1,250 on sale!

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

I own 3 pairs of skis (fat G3 powder skis, Volkl Mantras, Volkl AC4s for rocks/early season).

For $250-300 you can get a good setup, pays for itself in 2 seasons. I like to tune and wax myself though, so it's a side hobby.

At a minimum, get some good boots and pay for a custom fitting. They will last you 10+ years, and your feet will be much happier.

Did a last minute powder trip to Utah early February, hit rope drop on Cirque at Snowbird, great run with untouched thigh deep pow (run had been closed for 3 days). Hit Alta after 25-30" of fresh, was a shitshow but great conditions. LCC was crazy crowded even during weekdays, locals complaining about Ikon. Bringing in a lot of east coast tourists.

If you are on the fence this year, go ski. This is an epic year (once in 20 years) for snow, conditions are great worldwide.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Yeah at the [prices you;re quoting renting skis can be economical. I still want mu one boots.  I also never buy skis as a new yers release. I;ve always bought last years noodle ams seed good dollars.I got 2014 Rossignol Soul skis and bindings (mounted for free @ an REI) in 2015 for half the advertised REI rates.  Breckinridge has a Spring ski swap that's supposed to have incredible deals.

12 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:

I own 3 pairs of skis (fat G3 powder skis, Volkl Mantras, Volkl AC4s for rocks/early season).

For $250-300 you can get a good setup, pays for itself in 2 seasons. I like to tune and wax myself though, so it's a side hobby.

At a minimum, get some good boots and pay for a custom fitting. They will last you 10+ years, and your feet will be much happier.

Did a last minute powder trip to Utah early February, hit rope drop on Cirque at Snowbird, great run with untouched thigh deep pow (run had been closed for 3 days). Hit Alta after 25-30" of fresh, was a shitshow but great conditions. LCC was crazy crowded even during weekdays, locals complaining about Ikon. Bringing in a lot of east coast tourists.

If you are on the fence this year, go ski. This is an epic year (once in 20 years) for snow, conditions are great worldwide.

Your own boots is critical for me. I want me feet to be as conformable as possible as I crank the settings down a bit tighter as the day goes on.

One thing about renting boots for me (yeah i know the very thought of it is vomit-inducing), but I have the most average, perfect textbook size 12 foot.  And again, I'm not exaggerating just to back up a faux point, but every single pair of boots I've rented in the last 20 years, every one of them, without exception, has been comfortable and warm.  I don't know why, but it's been the case. I kept saying that I'll buy some eventually, but put it off, and never have had a single boot problem (the high end demo stuff you get really good boots, not necessarily the Golden Fleece level but damn good ones, at least at the shops I know about.  Plus the boots are a little broken in so they work great.

The most uncomfortable pair of boots I ever wore were the Nordicas I bought in the late 1970's.  Of course technology now... but really they weren't that much different.
I know I'm very, very lucky in that regard.  Most people have demanding feet, and it seems like the great majority have boot problems with renting.  I don't.  That's just how it has worked for me.

Just testifyin'.  I know that I've been fortunate, but yes I will buy boots too.

(remember, the point of all this is that I would have owned without question if I averaged more than 6-7 days per year. I didn't with two rugrats to run around, a limited budget, etc.  I was wild and free (and able to ski 20-30 days per year) before marriage/kids.  Now that I have more time/freedom/money I will buy.  But this year I couldn't go a lot due to a few things... hopefully next year I'll be at least a two-weeker for the next 10 years or so.  Hope to anyway.

Anyhoo, this is what I want (at least the 2019 version):
Vantage107Ti.png

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:
I pulled my boots, skis/bindings and poles out of my neighbor’s dumpster. 

Yeah, but in Basalt they were probably last year's model.

it's not unusual for tourists up here to go into gorsuch, drop $10K on a new set-up, ski 2 half-days then have 'their people' drop off the stuff at consignment/goodwill. retards, the lot of them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

it's not unusual for tourists up here to go into gorsuch, drop $10K on a new set-up, ski 2 half-days then have 'their people' drop off the stuff at consignment/goodwill. retards, the lot of them.

Agreed, but makes for good deals for locals.  Winter Park doesn't quite get the same tourist that Aspen does.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

Agreed, but makes for good deals for locals.  Winter Park doesn't quite get the same tourist that Aspen does.

there are stupid deals up here. whether it's the tourists' leftovers or all the people with pro deals, you never come close to paying full freight.

and i live in carbondale with the poors.

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

now hold the damn phone. are you telling me there are passes out there that are cheaper than aspen?

EPIC pass is $650 for just about unrestricted use (holidays and some other back out days), but yeah.  Covers a lot of Co. Park city, Squaw valley, Heavenly, and others I'm not familiar with.

The son got his this year for $99 because it was their 10th anniversary and they were giving an active duty military discount. If you have a contact in the military (family member I believe) you can get one for about $450 a year I believe.  

Buy it in the Spring, and you get 3-4 buddy and 3-4 ski with a friend ski passes for about $100 each ticket.

Jackson Holes is about $1250 a year I believe.

7 hours ago, texasdago said:

So, this boot discussion is intriguing me...  thinking of seeing if I can find and end of season deal while in Europe and schlepping them back.  What are good prices on boots, typically... for high quality boots, that is.  

I bought a lightly used pair of Lange's, and also got some Surefoot fully molded foot inserts and liners for about $1,000. Very comfortable to wear and ski in, but very tight and hard to get on and off, which makes sense since its molded. You obviously ski alot considering your posts so might be worth looking into.

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

EPIC pass is $650 for just about unrestricted use (holidays and some other back out days), but yeah.  Covers a lot of Co. Park city, Squaw valley, Heavenly, and others I'm not familiar with.

The son got his this year for $99 because it was their 10th anniversary and they were giving an active duty military discount. If you have a contact in the military (family member I believe) you can get one for about $450 a year I believe.  

Buy it in the Spring, and you get 3-4 buddy and 3-4 ski with a friend ski passes for about $100 each ticket.

Jackson Holes is about $1250 a year I believe.

I think you missed the sarcasm.  

14 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

I bought a lightly used pair of Lange's, and also got some Surefoot fully molded foot inserts and liners for about $1,000. Very comfortable to wear and ski in, but very tight and hard to get on and off, which makes sense since its molded. You obviously ski alot considering your posts so might be worth looking into.

I wish I skied a lot... not nearly as much as I like.