Ski Season 18/19

texasdago

$700 I'm going out and buying a new pair of skis... I get more excitement from the skis than the boots.  Boots are a necessary evil... skis give boners.  Maybe my feet aren't that bad so I don't see the need.  That said, I would love it if I could duct tape my Sorels to my skis so, for now, I'll go with these Atomics which feel pretty darn good.

5 hours ago, crash_davis said:

that's a a lot of extra money to drop on something most people do 3-4 days a year.  

True, but despite the fact that I live in Austin, I get more ski days than 3-4. Usually a lot more. 

Also- I would argue that boots are the most important thing to a successful ski day. Your planks are certainly important and I might use my own all mountain skis or demo something else depending on conditions. But boots... the comfort of your feet and ankles... paramount concern.

14 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

True, but despite the fact that I live in Austin, I get more ski days than 3-4. Usually a lot more. 

Also- I would argue that boots are the most important thing to a successful ski day. Your planks are certainly important and I might use my own all mountain skis or demo something else depending on conditions. But boots... the comfort of your feet and ankles... paramount concern.

User name checks out

There's no doubt that boots are important but, as much as I hate to say it, I've managed with rental boots all my life and advanced in my skiing along the way.  In a way, I agree with you and why I just bought my first pair of boots ever but I just can't get myself to part for $700 as an add-on to the boots.  Maybe if I hit 200% of my quota this year.

24 minutes ago, texasdago said:

There's no doubt that boots are important but, as much as I hate to say it, I've managed with rental boots all my life and advanced in my skiing along the way.  In a way, I agree with you and why I just bought my first pair of boots ever but I just can't get myself to part for $700 as an add-on to the boots.  Maybe if I hit 200% of my quota this year.

If you don't have weird feet boots generally aren't an issue. Good boots help with my confidence which is 50% of skiing IMO. 

Having skied with guys who do have foot issues I'd be making a bee line for a surefoot store.

42 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

That may be someone's dream, but that is my nightmare.  I may have had that nightmare that I am somehow on top of a run that I have no business being on with no clue how to get down.  But I'm also a very mediocre skier.

6 minutes ago, chitwood said:

That may be someone's dream, but that is my nightmare.  I may have had that nightmare that I am somehow on top of a run that I have no business being on with no clue how to get down.  But I'm also a very mediocre skier.

Yeah, that's a fairly technical

line.

On 4/4/2019 at 11:36 AM, Chewbacca said:

That's beyond fairly technical.  I've been skiing since I was 3 and can ski pretty much anything in any resort.  I wouldn't ski that.

Well there was a bit of sarcasm in play there.  Steep, spine like lines with dual 70 degree fall off's do tend to be "fairly" technical.

39 minutes ago, texasdago said:

About 90% certain I'll be heading to A-Basin and Mary Jane in May to get some last turns in.  Mary Jane is staying open through May 12th and A-Basin always makes it into June.

Male offspring worked this ski season in Aspen (at Aspen Mountain).  Buttermilk closed yesterday.  Highlands closes next Sunday.  Ajax and Snowmass close 4/21.

So, definitely going and will meet a buddy of mine to ski on one of the days.  Need some advice.  My plan is this:

Fly in on a Thursday around mid-day and drive into the mountains

Day one - Ski A-Basin

Day two - Ski Mary Jane

I want to be closer to A-Basin on the first night.  Closest lodging is in Keystone but I imagine it will be dead.  Should I stay in Dillon/Silverthorne or go further to Frisco?   Frisco looks like it has a proper town.  Dillon and Silverthorne always seemed like drive-through country to me.  Keystone... closest but milquetoast in May?

After skiing A-Basin, I'll probably stay in Winter Park for the night so I can ski Winter Park on day two, pack up my crap and fly back to Denver to take a red eye home.  I was tempted to do something like Georgetown and would even ski Loveland if it was open on day one (solely because I've never skied there and have been curious every time I drove past it). 

Thoughts?

Edited by texasdago

On 4/8/2019 at 12:05 PM, texasdago said:

So, definitely going and will meet a buddy of mine to ski on one of the days.  Need some advice.  My plan is this:

Fly in on a Thursday around mid-day and drive into the mountains

Day one - Ski A-Basin

Day two - Ski Mary Jane

I want to be closer to A-Basin on the first night.  Closest lodging is in Keystone but I imagine it will be dead.  Should I stay in Dillon/Silverthorne or go further to Frisco?   Frisco looks like it has a proper town.  Dillon and Silverthorne always seemed like drive-through country to me.  Keystone... closest but milquetoast in May?

After skiing A-Basin, I'll probably stay in Winter Park for the night so I can ski Winter Park on day two, pack up my crap and fly back to Denver to take a red eye home.  I was tempted to do something like Georgetown and would even ski Loveland if it was open on day one (solely because I've never skied there and have been curious every time I drove past it). 

Thoughts?

If you're going to A-Basin not sure why you don't stay in Dillon (or Keystone).  There are lots of rental units available right now for next to nothing (so-called "mud season" there, basically from about the 3rd weekend in March through mid-May before schools start letting out, when tourism is at its lowest).  But for one night, it really doesn't make much of a difference.

I like Frisco a lot, but it's nothing special.  Some nice eateries but really not all that worth it itself.  I use it mostly because it's got great, convenient county bus routes to Copper and Breck (especially Breck, avoid that town and it's fucking shitty traffic in winter).  But it doesn't matter much.  Lodging might be a bit cheaper.  There is also a bus from Frisco to Keystone/A-Basin but you have to go into Silverthorne and change buses, then go to the resorts - about 10-15 mins. longer.  However it's doable.  All the county buses are free.

I don't see much difference at all between staying in Silverthorne/Dillon and Frisco for a night, except it's about 6-8 minutes less to A- Basin in S/D.

Loveland is a nice area but I'd take it as part of a 6-7 day visit to other places.  By itself, it's probably not worth sacrificing a day at A-Basin, Copper, or Breck.  Keystone isn't all that bad, some nice groomers and a few good bowls.  

47 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

You're telling me it's possible for ski boots to be comfortable? Anyway, heading to Breckenridge on Thursday for a long weekend.  If I ski, I ski.  If not, it's still better than being in Houston.

Breckenridge Tap House on Main.  Braised lamb tacos.... you'll thank me later...

Yes it is possible when you have a good boot fitter..

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

Keystone will be closed by the time I get to CO which is fine because of the 4 resorts in Summit County, Keystone has a lock on #4.  So, yeah, I guess Dillon is probably best.  The town of Keystone looks like it will be completely dead (why would you need to be there if the resort is closed) but granted I'll be there one night so I don't know how much it matters.  Then I'll move on to Winter Park or whatever is closer that way that makes sense.  I don't remember the town of Winter Park being particularly thrilling but its more about convenience.  Family is not with my and the focus is skiing so I'm open to whatever.

2 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Keystone will be closed by the time I get to CO which is fine because of the 4 resorts in Summit County, Keystone has a lock on #4.  So, yeah, I guess Dillon is probably best.  The town of Keystone looks like it will be completely dead (why would you need to be there if the resort is closed) but granted I'll be there one night so I don't know how much it matters.  Then I'll move on to Winter Park or whatever is closer that way that makes sense.  I don't remember the town of Winter Park being particularly thrilling but its more about convenience.  Family is not with my and the focus is skiing so I'm open to whatever.

In WP, staying in town will be the most convenient.  Should be pretty cheap.

Opted for a central hotel in Frisco for night #1 just because there are some restaurants and pubs nearby and, like you said, its only about 6-8 minutes further from A-Basin so its negligible.  Yeah, deals aplenty in Keystone but, man, talk about being alone.  I'll have a car to take me back and forth.  Is the parking lot in mid-May reasonable at A-Basin?

2003... last time I went to A-Basin.  Has always been my favorite in CO.  That picture was Memorial Day weekend.

2eptrie.jpg 

2004... last time I was at Winter Park. Sister-in-law was getting married in CO and I went skiing on the day of the rehearsal dinner.  I had nothing of value to add and the snow was good so...

j97n1s.jpg 

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

2003... last time I went to A-Basin.  Has always been my favorite in CO.  That picture was Memorial Day weekend.

2004... last time I was at Winter Park. Sister-in-law was getting married in CO and I went skiing on the day of the rehearsal dinner.  I had nothing of value to add and the snow was good so...

You know what you're probably not interested in at all?  When you get new boots and skis the absolute best thing you could do is start with a lesson.  You would be starting off with new habits and tendencies with this gear, so a lesson on the first day would be a huge investment.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

You know what you're probably not interested in at all?  When you get new boots and skis the absolute best thing you could do is start with a lesson.  You would be starting off with new habits and tendencies with this gear, so a lesson on the first day would be a huge investment.  

Actually, every ski trip I take, every trip, I hire a local instructor for a private lesson to work on technique.  Its invaluable and I learn a little something from each one.  The best one I ever worked with spent more time working on my head than my skiing and it was an eye-opening experience.

This is Jean-Marie... we finished skiing off piste at Les Grands Montets up on the glacier.  I hired him for one day though ESF Argentiere and then hired him for two more days.  The most natural skier I've ever met and by far the wisest.  This man impacted me tremendously.  I was going to have him meet me in Switzerland to ski in Saas-Fee last month.  He couldn't.  He's in a hospital bed with a cerebral tumor.  

Anyway, you learn more about yourself, your skiing and you get taken to all kinds of hidden corners and nooks and crannies.  Worth every penny.

14ybz2e.jpg 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 6:37 PM, PRONG HORN said:

Good.  Absorbing it on new equipment that will reward the improvements will really accelerate your ability.

Its a good idea and you always pick something up from each person who is working with you.  Like I said, most of the time they'll end up acting as a guide as they take you off piste to runs that you may not know of.

26 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Its a good idea and you always pick something up from each person who is working with you.  Like I said, most of the time they'll end up acting as a guide as they take you off piste to runs that you may not know of.

That's the best part.  Yep, and they show you those little hidden gems between runs, that you may not know are there. We've found many of those thru the years.

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Yea I mean for next season

Purgatory - Family Friendly, Large, Plenty of stuff at the slopes for those not wanting to ski to do.

Wolfcreek (Pagosa Springs) - top of the pass (think snow/driving along a cliff), not much to do outside of skiing, most locals prefer this mountain for skiing.

Telluride - Best skiing in the area, $$$$$

Silverton - Helicopter skiing, crazy people.