Ski Season 18/19

texasdago

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

Yes. View from the top of Snowbird. Snow is great. Lots of fun steeps.
e0fd9eb7e941a1cc21f995ac146334eb.jpg

I'm there in March.  Save some snow for me.

How do you like it?  Are you lucky to get any fresh pow this weekend?  If it dumps on you, you'll know why people ski Utah.  Fluffing dry powder.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Colorado powder is better.  

Ooooh I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Utah powder is like gossamer.  It's the best snow I've ever skied on, historically in 25 years of skiing out west .  To call it powder is being heavy handed. When the conditions are right  it'll be waist deep, and parts before you like the Red Sea before Moses.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

1 minute ago, Loco said:

a bounce after impact increases the energy transferred....  It doesn't feel true, but it is.   So yeah, probably the same thing

Favorite T  shirt sighting out west.   a group of about 15 or so older skiers wearing these at the apre ski bar. The always outta control club... cause you can't get hurt when you're in the air

On 2/3/2019 at 8:59 AM, Sbbruin said:

Did Canyons yesterday. Snow was great. Another great PC trip in the books.

Looks like you timed it right.

On 2/3/2019 at 9:50 AM, HornsOverIthaca said:

I really enjoy the area around the colony where the runs go under and over those bridges.  Great scenery and very peaceful.

I'm the opposite.  If I'm in there I made a wrong turn (which is often).

On 2/3/2019 at 12:15 PM, Axle Hongsnort said:

Finally bought the Blizzard Bonafide skis I’d been eyeing. Vail 2/20 can’t get here soon enough.

I've got some Line Prophet 98s that I used to ski as my daily (and only) ski.  Great soft snow bias, but I always found it a chore to get them to hold an edge on hard-pack/skied-off/ice, etc.  Bought some 80mm waisted Nordicas (the upgraded Fire Arrow, GT 80 Ti or something) and I had a blast on those two weekends ago.  Not a pow ski by any stretch, but fun to carve on the groomers and did well thru the harbor chop.  

26 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Yea they just got a ten foot storm in mammoth. I’m pissed I’m in Colorado now and not California anymore. Those pineapple expresses really come through. 

10' of snow ?  Can ya ski in 10' ?  And is it 10' of champagne powder or California concrete ?  Gimme 10" of powder any day over 10" or 10' of ACL destroying concrete snow. 

21 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

10' of snow ?  Can ya ski in 10' ?  And is it 10' of champagne powder or California concrete ?  Gimme 10" of powder any day over 10" or 10' of ACL destroying concrete snow. 

I can see that you’re on a high horse here, but I’ll respond to you anyways. Current temp in mammoth lakes (town) is 14 F. Its likely 10 to 20 F colder on the mountain, so I anticipate it would be pretty fluffy snow. Usually the Sierra cement comes in on storms in the high 20s / low 30s. Given that I’m not there and this is all pretty hypothetical I guess the bottom line is it don’t make a shit but I’ve boarded there enough to know that when this storm is over and they dig out the lifts enough to run them, there will be some sick face shots to be had. 

7 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

I can see that you’re on a high horse here, but I’ll respond to you anyways. Current temp in mammoth lakes (town) is 14 F. Its likely 10 to 20 F colder on the mountain, so I anticipate it would be pretty fluffy snow. Usually the Sierra cement comes in on storms in the high 20s / low 30s. Given that I’m not there and this is all pretty hypothetical I guess the bottom line is it don’t make a shit but I’ve boarded there enough to know that when this storm is over and they dig out the lifts enough to run them, there will be some sick face shots to be had. 

High horse? hardly. I was just asking a question, and giving my opinion of the type of snow that's my preference.  If it's powder rock on, if its not F it.  I do thank you for the clarification of the storms that bring good or bad snow to the Sierras.  It does sound like it's gonna be sick. still wondering how you ski in 10' of snow.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 10:43 AM, Chewbacca said:
On 1/29/2019 at 10:34 AM, smwhorn said:
Headed to Steamboat tomorrow.  Looking forward to it.  Haven't been skiing in 10 years but for the 20 before that, we went at least two times a year for a week at a time.
I decided to not rent a car and did not make dinner reservations anywhere.  

You probably want reservations if you go to cafe diva. Best restaurant in steamboat.

Did this.  Went to Cafe Diva.  Awesome restaurant.  It was the best one I went to in Steamboat and we were there for four nights.  Actually, all the places we went were good but this one was the best.  Thanks for the idea.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, texasdago said:

One month away from going skiing... can't freakin' wait.  Just ordered some good flat light goggles since we're heading to a resort with a mostly above treeline skiing and I've been absolutely demolished by wearing the wrong goggles in the wrong conditions.  

Just booked some time at Whistler in April. Ready to go man.

One month away from going skiing... can't freakin' wait.  Just ordered some good flat light goggles since we're heading to a resort with a mostly above treeline skiing and I've been absolutely demolished by wearing the wrong goggles in the wrong conditions.  

I love my Anon M2’s for exactly that reason. Crazy easy to swap lenses given the magnet system.

Been skiing on184 Rossignol soul skis the last 3 seasons. They've been a game changer for me.  Bumps, groomers, deep powder they perform well above expectations.

I'd have gone a bit shorter in hindsight. The bumps make me work a bit harder with the length as the day wears on. 180's or 174's might be a bit easier to work over the day, but when you're running full tilt, they carve like a bitch, and I got them as a "last season" special with great bindings for $300 below retail.

On 2/9/2019 at 10:15 AM, Axle Hongsnort said:

I love my Anon M2’s for exactly that reason. Crazy easy to swap lenses given the magnet system.

These are the ones I ordered since you can swap out the lenses... came with good flat light lenses and some bluebird lenses.  

https://www.backcountry.com/spy-marshall-goggle-with-happy-lens?skid=SPY006Z-SPCOHAGYGNWIRD-ONESIZ&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6c3B5IGdvZ2dsZXM6MTo1OnNweSBnb2dnbGVz