DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I was just kidding around.  

You like organized religion now, Chad Fuck?

Yeah, but your kind of "kidding" isn't really kidding.  It's dismissing the substance by slinging mud at someone who is trying to do good.  

I'm not against organized religion (or disorganized religion for that matter), especially when it's attempting to bring out the best of humanity, and shine a light on its' worst.

Seems like this falls into both categories.  

Calling someone a pedophile because they're trying to bring attention to the most vulnerable?  That's a joke that lands flat.  

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

That priest probably is a Sandusky.  

Yeah, when a group with that kind of history calls you out... I mean you’re probably guilty of some serious crimes against humanity. I mean it’s not like republicans supported a pedoph... oh wait. 

21 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Yeah, but your kind of "kidding" isn't really kidding.  It's dismissing the substance by slinging mud at someone who is trying to do good.  

I'm not against organized religion (or disorganized religion for that matter), especially when it's attempting to bring out the best of humanity, and shine a light on its' worst.

Seems like this falls into both categories.  

Calling someone a pedophile because they're trying to bring attention to the most vulnerable?  That's a joke that lands flat.  

Well damn now my response is too late. Much better post here...

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

An anecdotal experience that I always think about when pondering immigration.

I was putting in a big-ass flagstone patio in my back yard in Austin and hired some day laborers through an immigrant advocacy center that a friend of my wife's worked at.  I have no idea if they were legal or illegal.  I would guess the latter.  Anyway, one of the guys spoke fairly decent english, so he became the defacto foreman.  Over lunch, I talked with him a bit and we got on the topic of his life in Mexico.  Now, he could have been bullshitting me, but I believe what he told me based on being with him in person, seeing how intelligent he was, etc...

He was from Monterrey.  He had a wife and 3 kids.  He was college educated, having attended the Universidad de Monterrey.  He had been a professional in Mexico -- an accountant with his own office, and had a good number of clients.  But, he closed it down and now just does accounting work on the side 3-4 months a year in Monterrey.  The rest of the year, he comes to the U.S. and works as a day laborer for $10 an hour.  He does this because he makes more money putting in flagstone porches at $10 an hour here than he does in Mexico as a college-educated accountant.  Most of it gets sent home to his wife and kids.

And that is not nearly the worst immigrant story out there.  Now, I wonder how you stop someone that is living that from coming to the U.S?  From seeking a better life for their family?  Will a wall deter them anymore than a river does?  If I was in there shoes, and I saw my kids wanting, would I let a wall deter me?  I also wonder what happens to good people in Mexico if what little opportunities they have evaporate?  What happens if we pull out of NAFTA and the Maquilladoras shut down?  What do those factory and textile workers do then?  Do they sit back passively behind the wall accepting their lessened lot in life?  Do they climb it?  Do they join the cartels?

Illegal immigration is a complex problem with no simple fixes.

That guy's story sounds about right. My mother's housekeeper was a nurse in Mexico and the housekeeper's husband was a doctor in Mexico. The doctor worked nights cleaning carpets at office buildings and did various day labor jobs during the day. If you had a conversation with either of them it was pretty easy to tell they were educated people. Their combined skill sets would have easily put them into the upper middle class in America but the situation in Mexico is so bad they are doing manual labor here instead.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is infuriating.

This administration is needlessly punishing immigrants, many of whom have already been through so much. They seemingly do it just for the fun of it. Just for the sport of seeing people suffer.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, retread said:

This administration is needlessly punishing immigrants, many of whom have already been through so much. They seemingly do it just for the fun of it. Just for the sport of seeing people suffer.

That’s because many of them are heartless evil motherfuckers, including the president himself. 

• Like 1

That’s because many of them are heartless evil motherfuckers, including the president himself. 

Evil and cruelty. Which actually brings them pleasure.

Being done under our flag, in our name.

Great stuff.

4 hours ago, retread said:

And some in this administration even pretend to be Christians.

They really do enjoy seeing people suffer, as do Trump supporters.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Get your ass beat by your husband or get deported.

THAT is why local law enforcement should not be used as arms of immigration enforcement.

She was a victim of a violent crime not the perpetrator.

Exactly, these Trump immigration policies are fucking shit up across the board.

• Like 1

Many of the nonprofits, corporations and religious groups watching over migrant children detained at the southwest border have been in this business for years — and they have a history of political connections, donating millions of dollars to Democrats and Republicans alike.

Now, as new federal policies greatly expand the number of migrants held in detention, it is also becoming clear that some of the players in this billion-dollar industry have particularly strong ties to the Trump administration.

The president’s education secretary provided funding to one of the groups. His defense secretary sat on the board of another. Mr. Trump’s own inauguration fund collected $500,000 from two private prison companies housing detained migrant families. And some of the contractors employ prominent Republican lobbyists with ties to Mr. Trump and his administration, including someone who once lobbied for his family business.

There is no indication that political favors or influence motivated any of the contracts, and the service providers have no apparent ties to the agency awarding most of the contracts, the Department of Health and Human Services. Many of the groups had federal contracts to work with migrant children long before President Trump took office.

On 7/3/2018 at 11:43 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

For those of you who don't understand it, this situation is all that a "sanctuary city" is designed to avoid.   It's a common sense way to discourage crime and protect victims by allowing illegals to report local crimes without fear of being deported.   It does nobody any good to have illegals keep their mouths shut when they are victims or witnesses to crimes. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Annie said:

If only there was a wall to prevent people from trying to hop the border illegally and just come through the processing centers like the legal immigrants and refugees....

You don’t need a wall for that, and a wall isn’t even the most effective option either.

2 minutes ago, scottsins said:

You don’t need a wall for that, and a wall isn’t even the most effective option either.

Agree.

1. Impose harsh penalties on any company who hires an illegal immigrant. Penalties are per illegal immigrant employed. 
  2. Provide asylum seekers with a decision in a reasonable amount of time, not years from now.
  3. Make a law that states anyone who is in the US illegally would forfeit their right to be considered for asylum.
  4. Eliminate jus soli.

5 hours ago, RandomIdoit said:

Agree.

1. Impose harsh penalties on any company who hires an illegal immigrant. Penalties are per illegal immigrant employed. 
  2. Provide asylum seekers with a decision in a reasonable amount of time, not years from now.
  3. Make a law that states anyone who is in the US illegally would forfeit their right to be considered for asylum.
  4. Eliminate jus soli.

What is your reason for eliminating jus soli? 

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I don’t want to hear “I’m only against ILLEGAL immigration” ever fucking again from people defending this band of reprehensible fiends currently staining our White House.

because you have the whole story from that excerpt, right?

Eligible recruits are required to have legal status in the U.S., such as a student visa, before enlisting. More than 5,000 immigrants were recruited into the program in 2016, and an estimated 10,000 are currently serving. Most go the Army, but some also go to the other military branches.

All immigrant reservists and recruits were not discharged were they?

The AP was unable to quantify how many men and women who enlisted through the special recruitment program have been booted from the Army, but immigration attorneys say they know of more than 40 who have been discharged or whose status has become questionable, jeopardizing their futures.

40 discharged vs 10000 serving.  Yeah, let's lose our fucking minds.   people are discharged for various reasons all of the time.

Edited by slorch

A good chunk of people in the military are ex-criminals, it’s how they got there.  It’s how Michael Flynn got in.

You can nitpick the AP story all you want but there is a clear trend that this administration is targeting people based on race/ethnicity.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

4 minutes ago, Skyline said:

What is your reason for eliminating jus soli? 

To eliminate birth tourism and anchor babies. It's just one less incentive for someone to enter illegally. And yes, I understand that this is guaranteed by the 14th Amendment.

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

A good chunk of people in the military are criminals, it’s how they got there.  It’s how Michael Flynn got in.

You can nitpick the AP story all you want but there is a clear trend that this administration is targeting people based on race/ethnicity.

So they let white people who have not passed background checks remain in the military? If they do, then I would say that they are targeting these people solely based on race/ethnicity.

4 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

To eliminate birth tourism and anchor babies. It's just one less incentive for someone to enter illegally. And yes, I understand that this is guaranteed by the 14th Amendment.

Spoiler

About 275,000 babies were born to unauthorized-immigrant parents in 2014, or about 7% of the 4 million births in the U.S. that year, according to Pew Research Center estimates based on government data. This represented a decline from 330,000 in 2009, at the end of the Great Recession.

Births to unauthorized immigrants accounted for about one-in-three births (32%) to foreign-born mothers in the U.S. in 2014, according to the estimates.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/10/26/number-of-babies-born-to-unauthorized-immigrants-in-u-s-continues-to-decline/ 

Seems like getting rid of it would harm authorized immigrants more than unauthorized ones. Unless you added protections for the children of authorized immigrants. 

20 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

A good chunk of people in the military are ex-criminals, it’s how they got there.  It’s how Michael Flynn got in.

Attrition Across Branches of the Military. The branch with the lowest basic training attrition rate, according to figures from the Department of Defense, is the Air Force, which only sees between 7 and 8 percent of its recruits drop out after boot camp.

the Marine Corps loses anywhere from 11-15%.

But the numbers from the article are markedly LOWER than the normal attrition rates.  Those folks are obviously being targeted.

keep banging your race drum though... sorry to let facts( nit picking) get in the way of a good headline.

Edited by slorch

So they let white people who have not passed background checks remain in the military? If they do, then I would say that they are targeting these people solely based on race/ethnicity.

What do you mean “pass background checks”?

Like, misdemeanors other than domestic violence, such as DWI, unlawful carrying a weapon, resisting arrest, terroristic threat, assault causing bodily injury?

Yeah. I have a TB of client files with those charges who were admitted or allowed to stay in the military.

No idea what background check they are referring to.

23 minutes ago, Skyline said:
  Reveal hidden contents

About 275,000 babies were born to unauthorized-immigrant parents in 2014, or about 7% of the 4 million births in the U.S. that year, according to Pew Research Center estimates based on government data. This represented a decline from 330,000 in 2009, at the end of the Great Recession.

Births to unauthorized immigrants accounted for about one-in-three births (32%) to foreign-born mothers in the U.S. in 2014, according to the estimates.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/10/26/number-of-babies-born-to-unauthorized-immigrants-in-u-s-continues-to-decline/ 

Seems like getting rid of it would harm authorized immigrants more than unauthorized ones. Unless you added protections for the children of authorized immigrants. 

If you are authorized to be in the United States, then they would be eligible. But I don't know how they would enforce it for people on visas. Like these Russian ladies who come here just to have a baby. I don't think that should be allowed. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/birth-tourism-brings-russian-baby-boom-miami-n836121

13 minutes ago, scottsins said:

What do you mean “pass background checks”?

Like, misdemeanors other than domestic violence, such as DWI, unlawful carrying a weapon, resisting arrest, terroristic threat, assault causing bodily injury?

Yeah. I have a TB of client files with those charges who were admitted or allowed to stay in the military.

No idea what background check they are referring to.

We cannot prove that they were or were not targeted because of their race/ethnicity. If it could be proven that they were the only ones discharged because of incomplete background checks, then you could make that claim. For the record, I think they should have just placed them on an administrative hold like I was put on when I was in the military. They needed more time to complete my top secret clearance, so I worked around base doing details. 

This is the story of William Hitler, a U.S. immigration success story.

William Patrick "Willy" Stuart-Houston (né Hitler; 12 March 1911 – 14 July 1987) was the Irish-German nephew of Adolf Hitler who worked in Germany and later immigrated to America in 1939, eventually receiving American citizenship. Born to Adolf's brother, Alois Hitler, Jr. and his Irish wife, Bridget Dowling, in Liverpool, England. William Hitler later moved to Germany, but subsequently immigrated to the United States, where he served in the United States Navy in World War II.

William Patrick Hitler was born in the Toxteth Parkdistrict of Liverpool, the son of Alois Hitler, Jr. and Irish-born Bridget Dowling. 

Alois had had another son, Heinz Hitler, by his German wife. Heinz, in contrast to William, became a committed Nazi and in 1942 died in Soviet captivity.

In 1938, Adolf asked William to relinquish his British citizenship in exchange for a high-ranking job. Expecting a trap, William fled Nazi Germany; he tried to blackmail his uncle with threats. This time, William threatened to tell the press that Hitler's alleged paternal grandfather was actually a Jewish merchant. Returning to London he wrote an article for Look magazine titled "Why I Hate my Uncle."

William left Germany in January 1939 and visited the United States with his mother on a lecture tour at the invitation of publisher William Randolph Hearst. He and his mother were stranded in the U.S. when World War II broke out. After making a special request to President Franklin D. Roosevelt, William was eventually cleared to join the United States Navy in 1944, and moved to Sunnyside, Queens in New York.

William Patrick Hitler was drafted into the United States Navy during World War II as a Pharmacist's Mate (a designation later changed to Hospital Corpsman) until he was discharged in 1947. On reporting for duty, the induction officer asked his name. "Hitler," he said. "Glad to see you Hitler," the officer replied, "My name's Hess." He was wounded in action during the war and awarded the Purple Heart.

After being discharged from the Navy, William Hitler changed his surname to "Stuart-Houston".

In 1947, Stuart-Houston married Phyllis Jean-Jacques, who had been born in Germany in the mid-1920s.

The couple had four sons: Alexander Adolf (b. 1949), Louis (b. 1951), Howard Ronald (1957–1989), and Brian William (b. 1965).

William Stuart-Houston died on 14 July 1987, in Patchogue. His remains were buried next to his mother's, at the Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Coram, New York.  His widow, Phyllis Jean-Jacques Stuart-Houston, died in 2004.

13 hours ago, slorch said:

Attrition Across Branches of the Military. The branch with the lowest basic training attrition rate, according to figures from the Department of Defense, is the Air Force, which only sees between 7 and 8 percent of its recruits drop out after boot camp.

the Marine Corps loses anywhere from 11-15%.

But the numbers from the article are markedly LOWER than the normal attrition rates.  Those folks are obviously being targeted.

keep banging your race drum though... sorry to let facts( nit picking) get in the way of a good headline.

Yeah, it's not that.  These are not typical washouts which are part of the baseline. 

From a PBS article:

Some of the service members say they were not told why they were being discharged. Others who pressed for answers said the Army informed them they’d been labeled as security risks because they have relatives abroad or because the Defense Department had not completed background checks on them.

Sounds to me like they invited immigrants to join, but since it's difficult (maybe impossible in some cases) to check on their relatives, they are now kicking them out.  Maybe a couple of years ago the military had a different security procedure, and it's more difficult for immigrants to meet the new one.  Maybe there has been a conscious effort to change the security procedure to make it more difficult for immigrants.  We should find out.  My Congressman (former Air Force general, and general hypocritical asshole, Don Bacon) claims the following on Facebook:

Only about one-third of story is being told. I've asked the Army to say more though much of it is classified. I can say this... they encountered a foreign counterintelligence threat, using the words of the Army. I sat through two classified briefings and the program was terribly mismanaged.

Is that spin based on the basic kernel of truth that it's hard to run background checks on people born in various parts of the world, or were there specific concerns that presented legitimate security risks?  Don't know.  But it's obvious how the Republicans are going to defend it.  It's not just baseline washouts.  Sorry to let the facts get in the way of your speculation.

8 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Yeah, it's not that.  These are not typical washouts which are part of the baseline. 

From a PBS article:

Sounds to me like they invited immigrants to join, but since it's difficult (maybe impossible in some cases) to check on their relatives, they are now kicking them out.  Maybe a couple of years ago the military had a different security procedure, and it's more difficult for immigrants to meet the new one.  Maybe there has been a conscious effort to change the security procedure to make it more difficult for immigrants.  We should find out.  My Congressman (former Air Force general, and general hypocritical asshole, Don Bacon) claims the following on Facebook:

Is that spin based on the basic kernel of truth that it's hard to run background checks on people born in various parts of the world, or were there specific concerns that presented legitimate security risks?  Don't know.  But it's obvious how the Republicans are going to defend it.  It's not just baseline washouts.  Sorry to let the facts get in the way of your speculation.

So it’s racial...but it’s not... but it sounds better, so it is.

40 out of 10000. 

I bet they have them all lined up, and then just kick out the darkest ones. Trump’s orders. 

Edited by slorch