DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

15 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

It's not about truth or falsity or sensationalization.  It's about the presentation of information in an  interesting and informative way.    Your standard would leave no room for editorial cartoons or anything beyond a dry recitation of facts.  Talk about playing into Trump's hands. 

that correction tweet is not about the cover. it's about the original story going along with the picture, that stated she was carried away, kicking and screaming, not reunited with her mother and them both being put in a van.

the trump supporters already cry fake news in the face of reality. no reason to help them legitimize that belief. that's a pretty big fucking unforced error by time.

http://time.com/longform/john-moore-getty-photo-separation/?xid=tcoshare

Correction: The original version of this story misstated what happened to the girl in the photo after she taken from the scene. The girl was not carried away screaming by U.S. Border Patrol agents; her mother picked her up and the two were taken away together.

Citing Cynthia Nixon's "abolish ICE" as some typical representation of the Democratic position (even a typical liberal Democrat) seems disingenuous.  She didn't even get enough support to get on the Dem primary ballot, to run against an incumbent democrat.  Currently she is the nominee of the "Working Family Party" for the general.  

I get why Republicans want to do it.  Let's pretend that Nixon is just the flip side of Trump, with both being about as far from the middle.  But Nixon is a third party candidate running against a Democrat incumbent and Trump is the fucking President. Obviously one represents the typical views of their party more accurately.   

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

And I'm saying they shouldn't have made that mistake with the proper research. Correcting it was the right thing to do, but I'm not going to applaud them for it.  Be better. 

Mistakes are inevitable in any human endeavor.  The navel-gazing and handwringing about it is unwarranted.  Oh noes there was one mistake and now Trump will think he's right!  Woe is me!   Fuck him and his absurd self-serving standard for everyone else.  There's a big distinction between corrected mistakes and his constant intentional lies.   Media doesn't need to be perfect and can't be perfect.  They fucked up on the caption and fixed it.   The cover stands on its own despite the correction.  And Time is just one outlet.  Big fucking deal.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

And I'm saying they shouldn't have made that mistake with the proper research. Correcting it was the right thing to do, but I'm not going to applaud them for it.  Be better. 

How were they supposed to know where that kid was?  

It's a cover.  Not a factual statement.  

22 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

that correction tweet is not about the cover. it's about the original story going along with the picture, that stated she was carried away, kicking and screaming, not reunited with her mother and them both being put in a van.

the trump supporters already cry fake news in the face of reality. no reason to help them legitimize that belief. that's a pretty big fucking unforced error by time.

http://time.com/longform/john-moore-getty-photo-separation/?xid=tcoshare

The trump supporters are intellectually dishonest. TIME corrects when it’s wrong, at least. This administration does not. 

Again, is anyone really refuting that thousands of migrant children have been forcibly separated from their parents?

• Like 2

Rats, they mistook the girl in the photo everyone recognizes for one of the invisible thousands of children who actually were dragged kicking and screaming from their parents, some of whom may never be reunited. Too bad we don't have photos of them. So let's pick nits and lose sight of the big picture which is what the cover photo represents. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Mistakes are inevitable in any human endeavor.  The navel-gazing and handwringing about it is unwarranted.  Oh noes there was one mistake and now Trump will think he's right!  Woe is me!   Fuck him and his absurd self-serving standard for everyone else.  There's a big distinction between corrected mistakes and his constant intentional lies.   Media doesn't need to be perfect and can't be perfect.  They fucked up on the caption and fixed it.   The cover stands on its own despite the correction.  And Time is just one outlet.  Big fucking deal.

9 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

How were they supposed to know where that kid was?  

It's a cover.  Not a factual statement.  

yall, it's about the time story about the original picture! it's not about the cover itself!

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The trump supporters are intellectually dishonest. TIME corrects when it’s wrong, at least. This administration does not. 

Again, is anyone really refuting that thousands of migrant children have been forcibly separated from their parents?

actually, yes there is a ton of intellectual dishonesty or cognitive dissonance going on. people say "but obama started putting kids in detention centers!" with an outrage they don't transfer to the current act of putting kids in detention centers. nevermind that skirts the issue of the policy change from unaccompanied minors to all minors of parents arrested, and of course we are going to arrest them all. it's fucking maddening.

but my point here is that time misreported about this very issue that is being intentionally misrepresented. they have to be better.

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Rats, they mistook the girl in the photo everyone recognizes for one of the invisible thousands of children who actually were dragged kicking and screaming from their parents, some of whom may never be reunited. Too bad we don't have photos of them. So let's pick nits and lose sight of the big picture which is what the cover photo represents. 

It's shoddy journalism.  And they have egg all over their face.

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

THE CORRECTION IS NOT ABOUT THE COVER.

i feel like i'm taking crazy pills

I think you're missing that there are two separate, but related, points under discussion.  One is that Time made a mistake inside the magazine that it corrected.   The other is that Time is continuing to stand by the cover as is. 

15 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

to be fair i don't think we've seen any photographic evidence of what has happened to any of the girls separated from their families

We haven't. Do we even know where those facilities are? We haven't gotten a good look at the "tender care" centers either. (We should call them baby jails.)

We have a right to know. Maybe the administration could open them up to the media on the condition that reporters from Time aren't allowed to attend and we call it even. 

30 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

to be fair i don't think we've seen any photographic evidence of what has happened to any of the girls separated from their families

I thought I heard somewhere that the government released some pictures of this.  But media outlets are refusing to publish that propaganda without being let in to the facilities to report on what is happening and take their own pictures.

6 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Life comes at ya pretty fast, kid.  Oh, and this place doesn't have a law library.  Maybe talk to Rubin.  He's the jailhouse lawyer around here.  He's 12, so he knows more about this stuff.  Get what you can out of him before he gets pubes, though.  After that he's going to be real distracted.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Imagine if the faux conservatives held the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES to the same standards they do a magazine cover.....

nope all too big a pussies to call out the habitual lies of the Dotard.  To be fair to them, it is exhausting to keep up with, as no President has come within the same universe as being as big POS liar as Trump.

Edited by Ted Lange

Now THAT is awesome.

This is part of the answer. Show up at these camps to protest, to deliver toys, to offer counseling, to offer just simple hugs. MAKE THEM ARREST YOU. Fill the jails with people trying to help children.

A peaceful, nonviolent tsunami that shames this administration, relentlessly.
  • Like 1

The United Nations has issued a damning condemnation of Donald Trump's policy that saw migrant children separated from their parents at the border, suggesting it "may amount to torture".

In a statement issued by the UN's Human Rights Council, experts said the president's recent executive order, ostensibly to halt the controversial separations, failed to resolve the problem and "may lead to indefinite detention of entire families in violation of international human rights standards".

“This executive order does not address the situation of those children who have already been pulled away from their parents. We call on the government of the US to release these children from immigration detention and to reunite them with their families based on the best interests of the child, and the rights of the child to liberty and family unity,” the group of 11 experts said.

“Detention of children is punitive, severely hampers their development, and in some cases may amount to torture,” the experts said. “Children are being used as a deterrent to irregular migration, which is unacceptable.”

A number of rights groups have questioned Mr Trump's order, issued on Wednesday, mostly for offering few details on how to deal with the more than 2,300 children detained by the US government since the "zero tolerance" policy was enacted by the president's administration in mid-April.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/un-trump-children-family-torture-separation-border-mexico-border-ice-detention-a8411676.html

I’m half expecting him to double-down and say “fuck it” and delay the release of some of those kids, or to try and make things more difficult for the families in general  

Remember, his anger is ultimately directed at the illegal immigrants.  Nothing is ever his fault, and is mostly never the fault of those around him.  It’s always the libs, Hillary, Obama, illegal immigrants, NATO, Mexico, Canada, etc. 

This is part of the answer. Show up at these camps to protest, to deliver toys, to offer counseling, to offer just simple hugs. MAKE THEM ARREST YOU. Fill the jails with people trying to help children.

I’m free on Monday/ Tuesday. Let’s roll.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

57 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

I’m free on Monday/ Tuesday. Let’s roll.

Be sure and take any underage kids or grand children with you when you do. Call the press first. Then they can get pictures of your kids crying when you are arrested and they are taken away.

Rubio is a sitting US Senator and someone told him not to talk to the kids so he didn't.  What a fucking pussy:

Several people interrupted Republican Sen. Marco Rubio as he addressed reporters on Friday after touring a temporary shelter for unaccompanied migrant children in Florida.

The people, who were not seen on camera, called the Florida lawmaker an opportunist in both English and Spanish.

One person said in Spanish: “You’re an opportunist. You have the same vision as the President. They see us like animals.”

Rubio told reporters that he was not allowed to speak to the children in the Homestead Temporary Shelter for Unaccompanied Children, but that workers were doing the best given the circumstances.

He also said he believes families should be detained together, although he doesn’t think the United States has the capacity to allow that and doesn’t want to incentivize others to take what he called a “dangerous journey."

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/immigration-border-children-separation/h_b77f974733555fb237355c5eece31b03

8 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Rubio is a sitting US Senator and someone told him not to talk to the kids so he didn't.  What a fucking pussy:

Several people interrupted Republican Sen. Marco Rubio as he addressed reporters on Friday after touring a temporary shelter for unaccompanied migrant children in Florida.

The people, who were not seen on camera, called the Florida lawmaker an opportunist in both English and Spanish.

One person said in Spanish: “You’re an opportunist. You have the same vision as the President. They see us like animals.”

Rubio told reporters that he was not allowed to speak to the children in the Homestead Temporary Shelter for Unaccompanied Children, but that workers were doing the best given the circumstances.

He also said he believes families should be detained together, although he doesn’t think the United States has the capacity to allow that and doesn’t want to incentivize others to take what he called a “dangerous journey."

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/immigration-border-children-separation/h_b77f974733555fb237355c5eece31b03

I still have seen no evidence that Melania actually laid eyes on any of the imprisoned migrant children. Even if she did, I would assume she was also prevented from speaking with them. It makes sense that Congressmen should have more access than the First Lady.