DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

The politics of this will be interesting.  It is shaping up to be THE issue in the 2018 elections. I'm okay with that. Trump didn't create this problem, and the American people do not want open borders, which is the solution that the left is doubling down on.  Trump has taken a beating for weeks in the press over this, and it has barely moved any numbers.  Obama created this problem, and Trump is trying to fix it.  You can't leave perverse incentives in place for people to drag their kids into this kind of dangerous trip.  Separating kids from parents is awful, but the way to fix it is not to cave into the pressure, but remove the incentives. They are bringing them for a reason.  There are really only 2 solutions being proposed right now.  Open borders and chaos, or border control and the rule of law. We'll see which one the people want. My money is on the later.  All in all, you guys are making a pretty good argument for a wall.

And we need to exert maximum pressure on Mexico to quit allowing Central Americans free passage to our border. I'm sure Canada wouldn't appreciate it if we were just dumping every illegal at their border, and inviting them to go on in.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 5

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

The politics of this will be interesting.  It is shaping up to be THE issue in the 2018 elections. I'm okay with that. Trump didn't create this problem, and the American people do not want open borders, which is the solution that the left is doubling down on.  Trump has taken a beating for weeks in the press over this, and it has barely moved any numbers.  Obama created this problem, and Trump is trying to fix it.  You can't leave perverse incentives in place for people to drag their kids into this kind of dangerous trip.  Separating kids from parents is awful, but the way to fix it is not to cave into the pressure, but remove the incentives. They are bringing them for a reason.  There are really only 2 solutions being proposed right now.  Open borders and chaos, or border control and the rule of law. We'll see which one the people want. My money is on the later.  All in all, you guys are making a pretty good argument for a wall.

And we need to exert maximum pressure on Mexico to quit allowing Central Americans free passage to our border. I'm sure Canada wouldn't appreciate it if we were just dumping every illegal at their border, and inviting them to go on in.

They don't. They already pulled a 180 on their "We welcome everyone" policy. Now they want asylum seekers to seek asylum in the first country they crossed into. They have had 26,000 people enter illegally over a 15 month period and they are wanting to change their policy. The US Border Patrol arrested over 40,000 people crossing illegally in the month of May.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-immigration-border/canadas-trudeau-grilled-on-efforts-to-turn-back-asylum-seekers-idUSKBN1I24L8

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

You really have no clue what you are talking about, do you? Especially when you are basing the situation on several flawed premises. 

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:
Eliana Johnson @elianayjohnson

These meetings run outside of the regular interagency policymaking process. Miller has a direct line to the president. That means the policies often take many senior admin officials by surprise. The chaos and instability is built into the process.

7:56 AM - Jun 27, 2018

Putin's getting his money's worth from the dotard.

Where does that defeat rank all-time for bills that made it to a vote in the House that were introduced by the majority party?  They barely got over half of the Republicans to vote for it.

Edited by kevwun

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

“When someone’s arrested, they expect someone will notify federal immigration authorities just as they would expect someone who violates state tax law will find out that they notified the IRS,” the pollster said.

People are under the impression that the local police look into whether you have violated federal tax law, and then report those findings to the IRS?

On 6/27/2018 at 8:34 AM, Ragnarok said:

On one hand you were able to type a bunch of words.  On the other, none of the words make sense.  Functional retard?  Congrats?

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

On one hand you were able to type a bunch of words.  On the other, none of the words make sense.  Functional retard?  Congrats?

Translation: I don't like what you said, but I can't refute it, and I'm still for open borders and chaos.

Glad you could come up with such a well thought out rebuttal in only 72 hours.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

I do not advocate for open borders. We should absolutely have checkpoints all over the place.

Now, to be fair, what I think should happen at those checkpoints would probably outrage most of you, which is basically a biometric screening and intake that results in them leaving being registered with the government and holding a government-provided ID that allows them to legally be in the nation.

And we should provide food, water, and shelter as necessary at those checkpoints. And full medical care.

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

32 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Translation: I don't like what you said, but I can't refute it, and I'm still for open borders and chaos.

Glad you could come up with such a well thought out rebuttal in only 72 hours.

Yes bc that’s what I’ve been worried about the last 72 hrs.  In real life I get paid to treat patients with brain injuries.  On Surly, you only serve to annoy me.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I do not advocate for open borders. We should absolutely have checkpoints all over the place.

Now, to be fair, what I think should happen at those checkpoints would probably outrage most of you, which is basically a biometric screening and intake that results in them leaving being registered with the government and holding a government-provided ID that allows them to legally be in the nation.

And we should provide food, water, and shelter as necessary at those checkpoints. And full medical care.

IF the US was considering doing this, we should do that for American citizens first before even considering providing it for non-citizens.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

U.S. Army veteran with PTSD who served two tours of duty in Afghanistan deported to Mexico:

http://time.com/5215153/army-veteran-deported-tammy-duckworth/?utm_source=reddit.com

That's lame. If you serve honorably, you should get automatic citizenship. He should still serve his sentence for his crime, but not be deported.

On 6/21/2018 at 2:38 PM, Huckleberry said:

I'm sure that's gonna work out great when the executive branch is in Democrat hands.

Why do you think this will happen?

I'm looking at the path this country is on right now, and I'm here to tell you, I don't see the Republicans giving up the White House -- or Congress -- any more than I saw Erdogan or Putin having any chance of being unseated. Trump already got his guy on the SCOTUS ruling the way he needed to on election laws. Flagrant violations of the Constitution have become normalized. People are used to the President being wholly and utterly corrupt now and everyone is waiting for someone else to do something about it.

The Democrats are not setting up any leadership to oppose what's happening; they're the same clown show that tried to get us to vote for fucking Hillary. Don't get me wrong -- Hillary would've been better than this -- but nobody in their right mind thought she was a viable presidential candidate; they thought they could follow-up the first black president with the first woman president, but didn't look to see if they had a woman worth voting in to the job. (Can't entirely blame them, since Ann Richards has been dead for over 12 years.)

More to the point, the opposition to Trump is being oppositional; they're much more focused on saying "you're wrong! you should feel bad!" to Trump's base than they are about addressing the problems that caused them to flock to Trump in the first place. Trump's "Make America Great Again" was absolute bullshit, unless you happened to be one of the millions of Americans who had missed out on the new world order Globalization promised, left behind by automation, and -- in the case of blue-collar union employees -- completely taken for granted by Democrats to fall in line and vote for them while the National Democratic party itself hadn't done anything favorable towards unions since Clinton (Bill, that is... you know, the one who actually had enough Charisma to get his dumb ass elected) showed that it was much more politically profitable to work hand-in-hand with Big Business.

The Democrats are losers and are dropping the ball as bad as the Republicans who think they can remain in the GOP while disagreeing with Trump -- without actually doing anything.

There are no grass-roots movements to bring America together and say, "This is what we stand for, and we will not settle for this." No one's lining up to actually help Trump's supporters by connecting them with immigrants and showing them that they are hardworking and good people that are worth fighting with instead of against. No one's doing anything about the rampant corruption and racism in police departments nationwide, who lined up at the polls to vote for Trump because he winked at them in photo ops during his campaign.

No one's doing anything, while Trump consolidates his power and follows the Erdogan path.

Democracy has been, in history, an incredibly fragile institution. They're always teetering on the edge of becoming dictatorships. So sure, we can show up for the polls -- I myself voted straight-party Democrat for the first time in my entire life last month. 

But isn't going to do diddly-shit; winning the popular vote is a beauty contest only. 

You have to have leadership, strategy, and above all charisma to defeat a guy like Trump, and I don't see any plan or leadership or charm anywhere. Trump has a plan, led by his mentors Erdogan and Putin, on just how to do what he's doing right now. And the opposition is basically nonexistent.

Nobody ever got elected by not being someone else. You have to have something positive to offer, an actual appeal. There's nothing there.

• Like 2

78,000 votes across Wisconsin, Michigan, and PA could,have swung it to Hillary.

The Dems are flipping seats in places like Oklahoma, which was D within the last 15 years.

and Oklahoma voted for medicinal marijuana.

The Republicans are not invulnerable.  If they were, there wouldn’t be so many retiring.

35 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes bc that’s what I’ve been worried about the last 72 hrs.  In real life I get paid to treat patients with brain injuries.  On Surly, you only serve to annoy me.  

Glad to hear you are doing something productive in your real life.  Too bad it doesn't keep you from posting your juvenile incoherent opinions on bulletin boards. You'd think you'd be busier than that.

20 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Glad to hear you are doing something productive in your real life.  Too bad it doesn't keep you from posting your juvenile incoherent opinions on bulletin boards. You'd think you'd be busier than that.

Nah, we sold bro.  I work for fun now.  So only as busy as I wanna be.  Trump saved me well into the 7 figures on taxes this year.  It’s good to see you people carry my water though.  Thanks 

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

78,000 votes across Wisconsin, Michigan, and PA could,have swung it to Hillary.

The Dems are flipping seats in places like Oklahoma, which was D within the last 15 years.

and Oklahoma voted for medicinal marijuana.

The Republicans are not invulnerable.  If they were, there wouldn’t be so many retiring.

I want you to be right about this, and I have found some hope in this, but I'm also seeing that Trump's popularity has actually increased considerably since December, and the latest hubbub hasn't seemed to trigger the kind of reaction that fucking tearing people's kids away from them should for anyone.

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Nah, we sold bro.  I work for fun now.  So only as busy as I wanna be.  Trump saved me well into the 7 figures on taxes this year.  It’s good to see you people carry my water though.  Thanks 

"You people?"

What're ya, H Ross Perot's bastard child?

56 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I'm looking at the path this country is on right now, and I'm here to tell you, I don't see the Republicans giving up the White House -- or Congress -- any more than I saw Erdogan or Putin having any chance of being unseated. Trump already got his guy on the SCOTUS ruling the way he needed to on election laws. Flagrant violations of the Constitution have become normalized. People are used to the President being wholly and utterly corrupt now and everyone is waiting for someone else to do something about it.

The Democrats are not setting up any leadership to oppose what's happening; they're the same clown show that tried to get us to vote for fucking Hillary. Don't get me wrong -- Hillary would've been better than this -- but nobody in their right mind thought she was a viable presidential candidate; they thought they could follow-up the first black president with the first woman president, but didn't look to see if they had a woman worth voting in to the job. (Can't entirely blame them, since Ann Richards has been dead for over 12 years.)

More to the point, the opposition to Trump is being oppositional; they're much more focused on saying "you're wrong! you should feel bad!" to Trump's base than they are about addressing the problems that caused them to flock to Trump in the first place. Trump's "Make America Great Again" was absolute bullshit, unless you happened to be one of the millions of Americans who had missed out on the new world order Globalization promised, left behind by automation, and -- in the case of blue-collar union employees -- completely taken for granted by Democrats to fall in line and vote for them while the National Democratic party itself hadn't done anything favorable towards unions since Clinton (Bill, that is... you know, the one who actually had enough Charisma to get his dumb ass elected) showed that it was much more politically profitable to work hand-in-hand with Big Business.

The Democrats are losers and are dropping the ball as bad as the Republicans who think they can remain in the GOP while disagreeing with Trump -- without actually doing anything.

There are no grass-roots movements to bring America together and say, "This is what we stand for, and we will not settle for this." No one's lining up to actually help Trump's supporters by connecting them with immigrants and showing them that they are hardworking and good people that are worth fighting with instead of against. No one's doing anything about the rampant corruption and racism in police departments nationwide, who lined up at the polls to vote for Trump because he winked at them in photo ops during his campaign.

No one's doing anything, while Trump consolidates his power and follows the Erdogan path.

Democracy has been, in history, an incredibly fragile institution. They're always teetering on the edge of becoming dictatorships. So sure, we can show up for the polls -- I myself voted straight-party Democrat for the first time in my entire life last month. 

But isn't going to do diddly-shit; winning the popular vote is a beauty contest only. 

You have to have leadership, strategy, and above all charisma to defeat a guy like Trump, and I don't see any plan or leadership or charm anywhere. Trump has a plan, led by his mentors Erdogan and Putin, on just how to do what he's doing right now. And the opposition is basically nonexistent.

Nobody ever got elected by not being someone else. You have to have something positive to offer, an actual appeal. There's nothing there.

I'd like to buy you a few of beers for this post.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Great post and I agree mostly but here’s the big problem I see:

There is no room for leadership to unite the country. We’ve already been fractured past the point of no return.  Norms have been destroyed and corruption is open and accepted.

Without mutual accountability on either side, we are going to spiral downward on a dangerous path.

Even if the Democrats get their shit together and obliterate the GOP, they will have good license to abuse their power and not hold themselves accountable for malfeasance.  

The only way to correct course is for conservatives to stand up to Trump.  We can see that isn’t likely to happen.

The only other option after that is some form of revolution where you have mass mobilization and overthrow. That would be ugly and ain’t nobody got time for that.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Great post and I agree mostly but here’s the big problem I see:

There is no room for leadership to unite the country. We’ve already been fractured past the point of no return.  Norms have been destroyed and corruption is open and accepted.

Without mutual accountability on either side, we are going spiral downward on a dangerous path.

Even if the Democrats get their shit together and obliterate the GOP, they will have good license to abuse their power and not hold themselves accountable for malfeasance.  

The only way to correct course is for conservatives to stand up to Trump.  We can see that isn’t likely to happen.

The only other option after that is some form of revolution where you have mass mobilization and overthrow. That would be ugly and ain’t nobody got time for that because the soul of America is dead.

Naw. I'm not full-on jaded like you are here; I'm merely trying to maintain a bit of skepticism, and point out that what Huck speaks of as being inevitable isn't, and that the path we're on right now is -- if something doesn't change -- actually unlikely to ever occur.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yes, we should. lol

Providing water and resources for people who are waiting for processing is just basic human decency. We already do that for our citizens -- we have public restrooms and water fountains and shit like that. It's not like people are going to be lining up at USCIS for the freebies, you know?

26 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Providing water and resources for people who are waiting for processing is just basic human decency. We already do that for our citizens -- we have public restrooms and water fountains and shit like that. It's not like people are going to be lining up at USCIS for the freebies, you know?

We're bad at decency, unfortunately. 

23 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

I thought Cheeto said the number was 63,000 since 9/11?

Later on, though, Trump echoed a statistic of his own.

“Sixty-three thousand Americans since 9/11 have been killed by illegal aliens,” an attendee said. “This isn’t a problem that’s going away; it’s getting bigger”

“Sixty-three thousand, and that number they say is very low because things aren’t reported,” Trump replied. “Sixty-three thousand, and you don’t hear about that.”

No, you don’t. Because it’s demonstrably not true, and it wends its way back to a blog post from 2005 written by none other than Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/06/22/the-original-source-for-trumps-claim-of-63000-immigrant-murders-bad-data-from-steve-king-in-2005/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3dd0024a2fca

On 6/29/2018 at 1:19 PM, Celery Man said:

The cliff’s for what’s wrong with your post is that in your second sentence, the only true thing you said is that Americans don’t want open borders. Everything built on that is irrelevant since the first part is incorrect.

Well, I assume the part you disagree with is that Obama created this problem. The system is not static. People react to the policies that we put in place. The factors that created this wave of illegal immigrants bringing children with them is in response to policies Obama implemented.   The problem with DACA is the loopholes that it creates. Anybody can get across with a child now, and then claim the child has been in the US all along. The reality is that this works. Combine that with Obama’s catch and release policy, and you have provided strong incentives for illegals to come in with children. Reversing those incentives is difficult. I’d say Obama’s plan  is working well.  If the left gets there way, those policies will continue, and we will have lost control of the border. It’s pretty simple, either we have the rule of law or we don’t.  You guys are all in on chaos.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

12 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

The problem with DACA is the loopholes that it creates. Anybody can get across with a child now, and then claim the child has been in the US all along. 

Link to this unsubstantiated bullshit? DACA window is closed and has been for years. And of all the immigration lawyers I know, none of them have dealt with that type of lying and I know a shitload of them. So unless you have proof shut the fuck up. 

• Like 4

I remember a time when the Obama policies that led to our immigration system being overwhelmed could be discussed (somewhat) rationally:

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/146694-Obama-administration-has-gone-from-not-enforcing-immigration-law-to-actively-helping

Brisket then: I don't think that interdicted illegal aliens should be released and expected to show up at their deportation hearing. They should have a prompt deportation hearing, and if deportation is merited, be deported.