DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

25 minutes ago, Tuco said:

The CNN article indicated that she informed her staff and her husband that she was going in the last 48 hours.  And yesterday Trump caved on the policy. 

I can't say I'm Melania's biggest fan, but I think she may have played a massive role in getting Trump to end his policy.  My respect for her has just increased considerably.

I'm not taking the bait.  My suspicion is that she was sent there.

The administration uses Melania and Ivanka to try to make Trump's insanity more palatable.  "See, everything is not fucked in the White House...there are some voices of reason"

Bullshit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

well, she's a lot of things, but i think she's not a monster like the rest of them. she's a mother, and a prisoner of sorts herself. she's made it clear that her focus is going to be on helping children. i believe that she's sincere. i guess we will see. if she succeeds in shining some light on the horrific plight of these immigrants, then more the better, in my opinion.

I don't know, I think some of that is fantasy and wishful thinking, like many people once did with Ivanka and Jared.   No doubt she's not the monster that her husband is, but the story of evil is always a monster or two who are supported by masses of non-monsters who disassociate themselves from responsibility by viewing themselves as playing a merely functional role.  Melania may be pissed at him for cheating on her, but I've seen no sign that extends beyond her personal issues with him.  I mean, she was all in on birtherism too:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I don't know, I think some of that is fantasy and wishful thinking, like many people once did with Ivanka and Jared.   No doubt she's not the monster that her husband is, but the story of evil is always a monster or two who are supported by masses of non-monsters who disassociate themselves from responsibility by viewing themselves as playing a merely functional role.  Melania may be pissed at him for cheating on her, but I've seen no sign that extends beyond her personal issues with him.  I mean, she was all in on birtherism too:

and that's fair enough. i have a fortune cookie fortune on my desk that says "a cynic is only a frustrated optimist." i can't help my optimism sometimes, even if i know it's probably going to be unfulfilled.

22 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Maybe.  Or maybe she's being cynically deployed by the administration to humanize her husband's response.  I'll reserve judgment and see how much credit she gives the arsonist for putting out his own fire. 

They’re using her as a shield while they conceal whatever is going on in those kid prisons. 

no one can get pictures of the inside.

There is no national security reason the general public shouldn’t see inside those facilities.

Our tax dollars are paying for that, we have a right to see.

Meanwhile, Trump is on the television blaming Obama and the democrats for this problem with lies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They’re using her as a shield while they conceal whatever is going on in those kid prisons. 

There is no national security reason the general public shouldn’t see inside those facilities.

Meanwhile, Trump is on the television blaming Obama and the democrats for this problem with lies.

He's blowing it. He's really bad at politics.

Of the 12,000 children, 10,000 came up alone -- they came up here with traffickers and coyotes. Very, very bad people! - DOTUS

Think about the reasons that 10,000 kids would travel hundreds of miles to come to America. Think about reasons that would compel parents in those countries to send their children alone to the US -- maybe never to see them again.

Such a heartless SOB.

Edited by retread

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah.  I mean, I don't blame her for not going full Sheehan on her husband.  She's not in an easy position to take public stands in opposition to the president, and she's not the one who ran for office.  I'm just not so sure that she's actually affecting his policy in a positive way. 

11 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Maybe.  Or maybe she's being cynically deployed by the administration to humanize her husband's response.  I'll reserve judgment and see how much credit she gives the arsonist for putting out his own fire. 

It's possible.  But I wouldn't back off my speculation even if she gave Donald credit for ending it.  Really, the only propo that the White House should be advancing at this point is that it was never that bad, it was typical of pre-Trump policy, and that the media was making a mountain out of a molehill.  Sending his wife, and the cameras which follow, is not a bright idea.  Anything that humanizes immigrants plays completely against Trump's message. And, by giving the arsonist credit, you are admitting there was a fire.  How often does Trump admit a mistake?

If she had sincere concerns about the kids, and Trump tried to counter them with "fake media," I could her deciding to see for herself.  And I can see Trump caving at the prospect of having his wife publicly criticize him on the issue. That would have dialed this little soap opera up to 11.  What choice would he have had then?  Insult her looks?

16 minutes ago, Tuco said:

It's possible.  But I wouldn't back off my speculation even if she gave Donald credit for ending it.  Really, the only propo that the White House should be advancing at this point is that it was never that bad, it was typical of pre-Trump policy, and that the media was making a mountain out of a molehill.  Sending his wife, and the cameras which follow, is not a bright idea.  Anything that humanizes immigrants plays completely against Trump's message. And, by giving the arsonist credit, you are admitting there was a fire.  How often does Trump admit a mistake?

If she had sincere concerns about the kids, and Trump tried to counter them with "fake media," I could her deciding to see for herself.  And I can see Trump caving at the prospect of having his wife publicly criticize him on the issue. That would have dialed this little soap opera up to 11.  What choice would he have had then?  Insult her looks?

They're all admitting there was a fire.  They're just falsely blaming the fire on Obama and crediting Trump with heroically putting it out. Like I said, I'll reserve judgment to see what she says next.  I don't think your take is unreasonable, but I'm skeptical. 

State-sponsored human trafficking is what this is.

And I give Trump little credit for "reversing" this decision, since he deliberately made this decision in the first place.

Edited by Rimbo

7 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

They're all admitting there was a fire.  They're just falsely blaming the fire on Obama and crediting Trump with heroically putting it out. Like I said, I'll reserve judgment to see what she says next.  I don't think your take is unreasonable, but I'm skeptical. 

This reminds me of nothing more than wife beating.  Husband breaks her arm.  Apologizes and says it's never going to happen again.  And she should be grateful he's no longer beating her anymore.  Meanwhile, the plan is to next time break her leg instead of her arm.  And also to stop her from getting medical treatment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

The CNN article indicated that she informed her staff and her husband that she was going in the last 48 hours.  And yesterday Trump caved on the policy. 

I can't say I'm Melania's biggest fan, but I think she may have played a massive role in getting Trump to end his policy.  My respect for her has just increased considerably.

She saw the writing on the wall and knew it was just a matter of time before ICE nabbed Barron. 

There was discussion somewhere up thread about when this would start showing up in the daily approval poll.  We have an answer.

Trump Approval Index History

Date

Approval Index

Strongly Approve

Strongly Disapprove

Total Approve

Total Disapprove

21-Jun-18

33%

43%

46%

52%

20-Jun-18

34%

41%

48%

50%

19-Jun-18

34%

40%

48%

50%

18-Jun-18

34%

40%

48%

50%

15-Jun-18

34%

42%

47%

51%

14-Jun-18

34%

40%

49%

49%

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

There was discussion somewhere up thread about when this would start showing up in the daily approval poll.  We have an answer.

Trump Approval Index History

Date

Approval Index

Strongly Approve

Strongly Disapprove

Total Approve

Total Disapprove

21-Jun-18

33%

43%

46%

52%

20-Jun-18

34%

41%

48%

50%

19-Jun-18

34%

40%

48%

50%

18-Jun-18

34%

40%

48%

50%

15-Jun-18

34%

42%

47%

51%

14-Jun-18

34%

40%

49%

49%

This will also be interesting to watch.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

My wife’s church (Southern Baptist) is quietly sending some folks with legal backgrounds, as well as some of the staff members who speak Spanish, down to South Texas.  They were planning it a few days before Trump’s signing.  

If there's any silver lining to the absurdity of the Trump administration it may be that Christians find their morals and principles again. Obviously not all of them will but I have hope that many of them will stop worshiping (R) above God. For crying out loud it's the First freakin' Commandment.

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If there's any silver lining to the absurdity of the Trump administration it may be that Christians find their morals and principles again. Obviously not all of them will but I have hope that many of them will stop worshiping (R) above God. For crying out loud it's the First freakin' Commandment.

And what do you expect them to do?

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trump keeps saying it’s the dems fault for a bill not passing.  I can only assume it requires 60% to pass, right?

A better assumption would be Trump is lying.  Actually, anytime Trump says anything, that should be the assumption.

25 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

texb.jpg

"And now you sit and I read book.  We start.  Here book cover, look pretty colors."

Image result for terrible kids books

JFC.  The media should stop showing this propaganda until they're let in to the camps and can release their own photos of what's actually going on there.  There is absolutely nothing newsworthy about this pre-planned photo op in which the administration disguised a kiddy concentration camp to look like a typical elementary school.

4 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Holllly shit, tell me this isn't real. There are some impressive photoshoppers out there if this is fake.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5871221/Melania-Trump-wears-jacket-REALLY-DONT-CARE-U-visit-immigrant-children.html

WHat the fuck?

does this mean Miller is going to be bent over the bathroom sink two days in a row by Donnie?

6 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Holllly shit, tell me this isn't real. There are some impressive photoshoppers out there if this is fake.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5871221/Melania-Trump-wears-jacket-REALLY-DONT-CARE-U-visit-immigrant-children.html

That might be legit.

interesting part of the report 

This was her decision. She told her staff she wanted to go and we made that happen. He is supportive of it but she told him, "I'm headed down to Texas," and he supported it.'

'She wants to see these children and she wants to help children. It's not about anything more than that…. She wants to see what's real. She wants to see a realistic view.' “

Yeah, we American people want to see what is real too.