DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

24 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Like others have already pointed out.  This EO will probably be challenged and defeated.  The only executive solution is to not enforce border crossings.

They had a case management system whereby asylum seekers were released pending a court date, and 90% of them showed up to their court date. They can also use ankle bracelets if 90% is not high enough. It is in no way necessary to imprison people with young children who have either broken no law or only have a misdemeanor in their attempt to petition for asylum.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, scottsins said:

Lol at “only executive solution”.  Who the fuck told you that was the case?

Despite multiple opportunities, he has failed to identify any law that requires family separation. He is evil, just like everyone else who supports, tolerates, or deflects from the evil of this policy. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, FWD said:

They had a case management system whereby asylum seekers were released pending a court date, and 90% of them showed up to their court date. They can also use ankle bracelets if 90% is not high enough. It is in no way necessary to imprison people with young children who have either broken no law or only have a misdemeanor in their attempt to petition for asylum.

But the president said it was 3%.

3 minutes ago, FWD said:

Yep.  Ankle monitoring companies kick all kinds of ass lobbying and obtaining government contracts for their equipment and services.  I’m shocked that they aren’t already included.

15 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Lol whatever.  Hillary bailed out the DNC, which was broke.  Bernie was an outsider insurgent candidate that gets to pick and choose when he wants to be a democrat... too bad he got berned with Hillary getting a shitload more real votes.

So that gives them the right to violate their own bylaws which state they have to be neutral in the primary?

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, FWD said:

Coincidentally, I just read an article that we were ankle-braceleting and releasing the parents before this zero-tolerance policy went into effect.  I wasn't even aware of this until just now.

So what exactly is the concern with "catch and release" given that this technological solution is already in place?  Story:

“I was afraid they’d come and take my children. They had said the laws are going to change and they are going to separate the mothers from their children,” said Hernandez, who crossed from Mexico into South Texas via a navigable section of the Rio Grande with her son, Jaero, 13, and daughter Susan, 8.

Hernandez, though, was lucky. She was caught before the new zero-tolerance policy fully went into effect, and so she was released May 10 with an electronic bracelet clamped to her ankle and her children at her side. Along with dozens of other migrants, she was taken to the Catholic Charities Rio Grande Valley Respite Center, where families can get a hot meal and clothing. Earlier this month, the center was filled with the noise of children who played together in a corner of the room with their parents nearby.

The scene was a stark contrast to what most families will face under the new criminal enforcement policy.

When parents are held for prosecution, their children are turned over to the Office of Refugee Resettlement, part of the Department of Health and Human Services. The children are then designated as "unaccompanied minors," and the government tries to connect them to family members who are already in the U.S. Until then, children wait in shelters or are sent to federally contracted foster homes, often without parents being told exactly where they are, immigration advocates said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/anguish-southwest-border-more-immigrant-children-are-separated-parents-n874821

14 minutes ago, FWD said:

Too expensive.  They should just sew some sort of symbol on their clothes, like an badge, or arm band....or maybe they could give them all a tattoo. 

13 minutes ago, FWD said:

Where does that nunber come from? Immigration courts have the highest failure-to-appear rates.  It's around 40% for catch-and-release and that's including those using ankle monitors.

34 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Despite multiple opportunities, he has failed to identify any law that requires family separation. He is evil, just like everyone else who supports, tolerates, or deflects from the evil of this policy. 

Why willing lie when it's easily verified that I did?

15 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Where does that nunber come from? Immigration courts have the highest failure-to-appear rates.  It's around 40% for catch-and-release and that's including those using ankle monitors.

Where does your number come from?  40% makes no sense because the entire point is that you can find them via GPS if they don't appear.  If you are suggesting that 60% don't appear but are quickly scooped up by tracking, I don't see the problem.

By contrast, I found support for his number pretty quickly:

Officials said the ankle bracelets are extremely effective in getting people to appear in court.

"The compliance rate with those who are being monitored with electronic ankle bracelets can be as high as 90 percent," said Amber Cargile of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/26223944/feds-use-ankle-monitors-to-keep-tabs-on-illegal-immigrants

Also, the specific program he cited actually had appearance rate of 99%:

"The families have thrived," wrote Schlarb, noting that 99 percent of participants "successfully attended their court appearances and ICE check-ins." That includes 15 families ultimately deported.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/immigration/ct-trump-immigration-detention-alternate-asylum-seekers-20170609-story.html

Edited by Mojo Hand

14 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Article from DOJ monthly immigration newsletter in 2010:

Based on admittedly incomplete data, ICE estimates that its three ATD programs cost significantly less than regular detention and have high rates of success, as measured by the percentage of participants who appear for all their hearings. Of the three programs, ISAP is the most restrictive and expensive, while EM is the least. ICE reports that approximately 87 percent of ISAP participants, 96 percent of ESR participants, and 93 percent of EM participants appear for their removal hearings. However, all three programs have a limited capacity: ISAP has a daily capacity for 6,000 aliens, ESR for 7,000, and EM for 5,000.14 As of September 1, 2009, there were 19,160 aliens in ATD programs.

https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/eoir/legacy/2010/06/11/vol4no4.pdf

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Where does your number come from?  40% makes no sense because the entire point is that you can find them via GPS if they don't appear.  If you are suggesting that 60% don't appear but are quickly scooped up by tracking, I don't see the problem.

By contrast, I found support for his number pretty quickly:

Also, the specific program he cited actually had appearance rate of 99%:

I should clarify 40% never appear (i.e. don't get caught) and that's including both ankled and not.  If the number really is as high as 90% with bracelets, that's pretty reasonable.

The Trump administration’s policy of separating immigrant children from their families has been credited primarily to the strenuous efforts of White House adviser Stephen Miller. Perhaps you would like to call him about it.

Miller’s cell phone number is 202-881-8641. He’s a busy guy, but maybe you can get ahold of him long enough to have a productive discussion.

https://splinternews.com/heres-stephen-millers-cell-phone-number-if-you-need-it-1826985626

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

My preferred solution would be much more harsh. I think every single one of them has violated their oath of office and committed crimes against humanity. And I think they should burn for it. 

I am down for some old school tarring and feathering. Throw in locking some of them up in stocks for good measure. They should also be pelted with rotten cabbage. Nothing lethal, just good old fashion humiliation.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

questions i have:

1) what happens to the kids already in cages?

2) what happens to families detained for longer than 20 days?

3) why are we charging asylum seekers with misdemeanors?

4) when are we going to let asylum seekers enter legally, so that they don't have to do so illegally?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I'm sure this is a well-thought-out executive order that wasn't thrown together over the course of a few hours by panicked staffers.

well, they misspelled "separation" in the title. also, it's called "affording congress an opportunity to address family seperation"

14 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

questions i have:

4) when are we going to let asylum seekers enter legally, so that they don't have to do so illegally?

Additionally, what we did to those people is a freaking atrocity. Will the US now be more lenient to them? Because they deserve a better life after what the govt just put them through. 

17 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

questions i have:

The only one I have an answer for is 3) we aren’t. The ones that are charged crossed illegally. (I get the confusion though as true asylum seekers are part of the split up population). 

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Why willing lie when it's easily verified that I did?

I'm not lying, you are. You have identified one statutory provision that doesn't say anything about what you claim. You can't explain at all how it supports your position. And that is because it does not. 

39 minutes ago, SDG said:

The only one I have an answer for is 3) we aren’t. The ones that are charged crossed illegally. (I get the confusion though as true asylum seekers are part of the split up population). 

What do you mean?

26 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

What do you mean?

It’s right there in the tweet.  The key word is “between” as in between ports of entry. You can’t legally seek asylum between ports of entry you must seek it “at” a port of entry.  Crossing any border between ports is illegal and at that point you become a criminal and not an asylum seeker.  We are not prosecuting asylum seekers and any narrative that’s says we are is false.  The optics here is so bad the left doesn’t need to spread false narratives to win.   

Edited by SDG

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

And the followup:

https://splinternews.com/twitter-is-punishing-users-who-tweeted-our-stephen-mill-1826993497

Now, Twitter users who have either shared the post or posted Miller’s phone number have had their accounts temporarily suspended, with Twitter citing a violation of the site’s rules against publishing personal information. It’s safe to assume a shit-stirring campaign by all manner of internet assholes and tattletales was also effective:

2 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Probably hit up a Taco Bell in Alexandria to avoid the masses.  Perhaps the drive-thru.

She deserves to spend the rest of her life on the shitter, and that still won't be enough time to evacuate the foulness she has ingested.

And I'm not even talking about the Taco Bell grub.

28 minutes ago, SDG said:

It’s right there in the tweet.  The key word is “between” as in between ports of entry. You can’t legally seek asylum between ports of entry you must seek it “at” a port of entry.  Crossing any border between ports is illegal and at that point you become a criminal and not an asylum seeker.  We are not prosecuting asylum seekers and any narrative that’s says we are is false.  The narrative here is so bad the left doesn’t need to send false narratives to win.   

You don't have to go through a port of entry to seek asylum. 

Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum in accordance with this section or, where applicable, section 1225(b) of this title.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1158

Edited by Fozzz

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm not lying, you are. You have identified one statutory provision that doesn't say anything about what you claim. You can't explain at all how it supports your position. And that is because it does not. 

Let me break it down for you:

1) For non-Mexican/Canadian children along the border, DHS has 3 days to turn them over to HHS. HHS places them in an ORR shelter, and they are automatically placed in removal proceedings.

2) We used to have 4 family detention centers that jointly operated as ORR shelters and DHS detainment, so that families could be kept together.  In 2016 (Flores v Lynch), these were restricted for violating Flores v Reno (1997).

What else is there to explain?

Edited by JBJ

1 hour ago, SDG said:

It’s right there in the tweet.  The key word is “between” as in between ports of entry. You can’t legally seek asylum between ports of entry you must seek it “at” a port of entry.  Crossing any border between ports is illegal and at that point you become a criminal and not an asylum seeker.  We are not prosecuting asylum seekers and any narrative that’s says we are is false.  The optics here is so bad the left doesn’t need to spread false narratives to win.   

This is not true. 

11 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Let me break it down for you:

1) For non-Mexican/Canadian children along the border, DHS has 3 days to turn them over to HHS. HHS places them in an ORR shelter, and they are automatically placed in removal proceedings.

2) We used to have 4 family detention centers that jointly operated as ORR shelters and DHS detainment, so that families could be kept together.  In 2016 (Flores v Lynch), these were restricted for violating Flores v Reno (1997).

What else is there to explain?

That any law requires (1) the detention of anyone crossing the border in a secure facility, (2) that release prior to trial is somehow incompatible with the law (it is in fact a common practice for pretty much any crime), and (3) that the fact that some family detention were run in unlawful fashion means that no such facility can be operated.

1 and 2 are 100% false. 3 is of questionable validity as the second flores case turned on the nature of the specific facilities and how they were utilized. Again, you are full of shit.