When is the next Indiana Jones

HiggyBaby

We argued about whether Elsa was a "Bond Girl."  IIRC she just stands around Christopher Walken saying nothing. 

Unpopular opinion; if they were going to set it in the 1960s they needed to move beyond the Nazis.  Nothing in the master plan was plausible even if you accept the pseudo-scientific time travel gizmo.  

Still a fun summer B+ popcorn movie.  If you set the blockbuser bar at Raiders then you will be in perpetual disappointment. 

Saw it last night. Fun, but didn't seem to be a part of this franchise... Maybe it was the director, but this didn't have any fun/joy/heart to it.

Other than the (great!) callbacks to classic characters, there wasn't a moment where I felt 'excited' watching this. While it's possible that this is due to my being dead inside, it was just missing 'something'. As an example... previous movies would have an opening sequence that would only nominally be tied to the movie itself, and would end with some sort of "aw, shucks" moment that would then transition to introducing the main story. This one didn't have that same lighthearted introduction or the 'fun' transition (other than 'old man Jones' pissed at the Beatles).

Good movie, I would have enjoyed it anyway... but being an "Indiana Jones" movie, I has a dissapoint.

15 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Saw it last night. Fun, but didn't seem to be a part of this franchise... Maybe it was the director, but this didn't have any fun/joy/heart to it.

Funny enough, I have the exact opposite reaction/feeling! I liked it so much more than I expected to. Felt very much like the first 3 Indy movies, much more so than the Crystal Skull. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/9/2023 at 6:28 PM, CooterBrown said:

Once again, Indy didn't affect the outcome for the bad guys.

While I agree that overall it was very Raiders-esque in that respect, he could have prevented the whole damn thing by keeping the half of the dial undisclosed. Trying to show off is what kicked the whole thing into motion.

Overall, I had a good time. Although it was a bit of a surprise that on the second Saturday, 7:10 showtime, there might have been 20 people in the theater. I didn't expect it to be full, but 20 is probably being a tick generous.

I did like it, but after Crystal I didn't have high expectations. I definitely thought it needed closer editing, 2 hours would have been plenty vice 2h40m.

i liked it, but i suspect it is more relief that it didn't suck like crystal skull.  i feel a weird sort of ownership over indy, forcing my kids and wife to see it just because i loved it when i was 8.   if it was the abortion that the last one was i'd have felt embarrassment.

mads mikkelson is a natural born bad guy and nazis make the best foil for indy, so that part was good.  the story was great in how to make nazis the bad guys still decades after wwii.  

they had a lot of face to face between mads and indy, which i think was trying to recapture this sort of dynamic, where the two guys interact a bit civilly and know each other's value of the thing they're going after:

As Indiana Jones turns 40, a Raiders of the Lost Ark super-villain looks  back - CNET

What Made Indiana Jones' Nemesis Belloq A Memorable Villain, According To  Paul Freeman | Cinemablend

AT APPLEBEE'S

A deal this good will make history!

Enjoy a delicious meal at Applebee's and experience Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny starring Harrison Ford. Spend $35 in one transaction, and you'll earn yourself a Free* Fandango Movie Ticket. Spend $70 or more for two free* tickets! Don’t miss out on this Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destinypromotion starting June 22. Dinner and a movie just got better.

wife dragged me to see flea bag

Good
>Opening set pieces in Germany and NYC
>Fan service, ending worked
>Mads talking scenes
>De-aging, scary good

Bad
>Flea bag reprises scrappy doo role from Mutt
>Clunky dialogue. Flat too often.
>CGI was uneven. Spectacular at times, but a lot of obvious green screen and schlock
>Needed de-aging voice
>M’eh storyline
>Nazis!!! like 2 dozen times

Ugly
>Runtime. Morocco should have been cut. Nearly fell asleep by this time.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/16/2023 at 5:08 AM, UT_OB1 said:

Didn’t get to see this in theater. Kids really liked raiders and have been wanting to watch it so we had a movie night. I really enjoyed it and so did they. The deaging was ridiculously good. I enjoyed the Archimedes twist. 

i thought it was fine and enjoyed it. but damn, was it too long.

idk what's next for them. one would think the goal would be to set something else up, even if it's another young indy series. but idk what the real goal was here. no interest in a spin off with Waller-Bridge.

Mads Mikkelsen is awesome, as always.

after a quick google, evidently Disney has said it will be the last movie in the franchise and had a TV series in 2022 but they cancelled it - would have been a second prequel following young indy.

what a complete waste of a franchise and concept to just let it go.

• Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

evidently Disney has said it will be the last movie in the franchise and had a TV series in 2022 but they cancelled it - would have been a second prequel following young indy.

what a complete waste of a franchise and concept to just let it go.

So the Electronic Arts of the movie world?

• Haha 1