When is the next Indiana Jones

HiggyBaby

2 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Having a real hard time with this one.  Only reason I put Raiders over Crusade is because it was first.

The well-known MacGuffin with a mystical backstory.  The smoking hot female lead (your wife may be jealous).  The betrayal. The third party protecting the MacGuffin.  Stunt sequences and settings on par or even better than the first.  

I’m talking myself into putting Crusade at the top of the series.  It’s an incredible movie.  

Belloch, Toht >> Donovan

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Having a real hard time with this one.  Only reason I put Raiders over Crusade is because it was first.

The well-known MacGuffin with a mystical backstory.  The smoking hot female lead (your wife may be jealous).  The betrayal. The third party protecting the MacGuffin.  Stunt sequences and settings on par or even better than the first.  

I’m talking myself into putting Crusade at the top of the series.  It’s an incredible movie.  

having Connery raises it to another level IMO.  I agree that the macguffins in each being well known and highly religious artifacts make the story feel "real".  not sure there was another biblical/religious artifact they could use.  dial of destiny sounds kinda corny but I get that this was all supposed to be an homage to movie serials from back in the day.

• Hook 'Em 2

The digital de-aging was really really good.  I enjoyed the movie quite a bit.  Definitely need to see it again, as it was somewhat complicated.  Tons of good action sequences.  

I also re-watched Crystal Skull yesterday and it wasn't really THAT bad.  Not like Star Wars prequels bad.  Yes, Shia LaBouf is a douchebag.  Ok, but the rest of it wasn't bad.

• Hook 'Em 2

I really enjoyed it. Definitely better than Crystal Skull and a much better ending to the Indiana Jones story. I thought the de-aging was good but I think they should've used something similar to de-aged Luke for the vocals. It still sound a bit like old man Indy

50 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Nazis make the best bad guys.

I enjoyed this a lot.  While I rank Raiders and Last Crusade as 1a and 1b (I love them both), this was much better than Temple of Doom (even though I love Short Round) and KOCS.  

Harrison Ford's performance was really well done.  He didn't mail it in at all.

Going to take my mother to see this tomorrow. We haven’t gone to see a movie yet while she’s been here and this would be her first time seeing an Indiana Jones movie in a theatre. 

On 6/30/2023 at 4:11 PM, Guadaloopy said:

It had the best script and plot 

Interesting how they handled the question of Indy’s and Marion’s son. 

The pre AI was really well done. This is next level stuff. Opens the door for a lot more of it including future movies with famous actors that have long gone. They have talked about this for decades and we are there. 

I enjoyed the movie. Much better than the reviews I’ve been reading. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

It’s a good movie. They missed a great opportunity to bring back short round into the franchise 

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The Helena character is enough for at least one more movie. Mix in one of sallah’s kids or bring back short round maybe 

Short Round was the son Indy never had.

• Hook 'Em 1

The only thing Raiders has over LC is that it was the first of the series.  Everything else was done better by LC.  Better set pieces, better chemistry, better (more easily hated) Nazi's.

Raiders had Belloq and the frog torture guy. Way better than Donovan and the dude without his ticket. They’re complimentary masterpieces. No need to quibble.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 7/1/2023 at 6:55 PM, Brandywine said:

Interesting how they handled the question of Indy’s and Marion’s son. 

I really tried to let the dust in when Indy was talking about how he would have stopped his kid from dying in Vietnam. But then I pictured Shia LaBeouf on a panhead and hoped it was a painful, slow death. Sorry indy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

I had fun with it. Not close to the original trilogy IMO, but far better than Crystal Skull, which I’ve only seen once. Some good chases, though there were so many and they were so long that it was basically the whole movie. I like Phoebe Waller Bridge also.

The de-aging tech is great visually, though the older sounding voice didn’t quite match.

3/5

4 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Some good chases, though there were so many and they were so long that it was basically the whole movie.

I just told someone that the movie seemed like an excuse to have a million long chase scenes. A few minutes of dialogue, and then back to another chase scene. 

This was an odd movie. 45 minutes could have easily been cut out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

I just told someone that the movie seemed like an excuse to have a million long chase scenes. A few minutes of dialogue, and then back to another chase scene. 

This was an odd movie. 45 minutes could have easily been cut out. 

You just hate fun eh?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Plenty of fun movies have 90 minute run times

This particular movie felt like they needed to squeeze as many pointless chase scenes in as possible, because there wasn't much else there. It needed a huge edit (and a different director, but that's a larger problem). 

Until the last 20 minutes or so. Then it got fun. The rest felt like going through the motions. 

Please, commence with more "hurr durr you don't like good movies I guess, hurr durr."

Took my mom to see it last night after we left the Yankees game. She had never seen any of the Indiana Jones movies in a theatre. She had a blast and that’s really all that matters to me. The run time felt fine to me, but I am cool with longer movies. I go to see movies to relax and escape from the outside world for a bit, which is nice. This movie absolutely did that for me.

On 7/5/2023 at 8:12 PM, Red Five said:

This particular movie felt like they needed to squeeze as many pointless chase scenes in as possible, because there wasn't much else there. It needed a huge edit (and a different director, but that's a larger problem). 

Until the last 20 minutes or so. Then it got fun. The rest felt like going through the motions. 

Please, commence with more "hurr durr you don't like good movies I guess, hurr durr."

I’m with you on this one. There’s only so much you can do with an 80-year old action movie protagonist, which is why they shouldn’t have tried. The flashback de-aging effects were very good, but watching old man Indy in the present day punch out everyone, ride on horses through subway tunnels, and jump out of airplanes after being shot just takes me out of the movie.

I know we are used to supernatural endings in these things, but the third act of this one just seemed like it crossed a line into the ridiculous for me. It also had two of the features of modern movies that I hate which are an overlong running time, and too many big, complex, CGI action sequences. It’s the Marvelization of action movies, and it’s just not for me.

The Helena Shaw character just came across as selfish and unsympathetic. Phoebe Waller-Bridges is a fine actress, but the character is just written that way. I think they were going for “lovable rogue” but never got close. I was expecting her to meet a similar fate as the Alison Doody character in Last Crusade due to the way they set her up. It will take a major rewrite of her character to make her the lead for future spin-offs 

I won’t spoil it for those who haven’t seen, but I did love the two short appearances by major characters from the earlier movies. Those were my favorite scenes. It’s using nostalgia for cheap emotional good will, but it worked for me. 

Overall, I didn’t hate this movie, it was fun getting back to a theater and watching Indy on the big screen, but I remember almost nothing about the plot of the Crystal Skull and doubt I will for this one in 10 years either. Like the end of Last Crusade, it can be hard to let something that you love go, but they should have done it with this franchise.  Because Disney now has the rights, they couldn’t even open the movie with the Paramount mountain logo transitioning into a shot of a real mountain like all of its predecessors. 

Sorry to be a wet blanket, I went in hoping for a better end to this series. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

At least ark melting faces is original. If time travel is part of the story, then I’m relieved to pass on this one.

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

At least ark melting faces is original. If time travel is part of the story, then I’m relieved to pass on this one.

Maybe watch the movie first?  Also, yes, time travel is WAY more fantasy than, oh, I don't know, THE ARK OF THE COVENANT.  LOL RELIGION.

michael-keaton.gif

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

The only thing that his dad found impressive in that whole outrageous sequence of breaking him out, defeating the guards, escaping fiery death through secret passage ways, and getting away in the motorcycle chase was when Indy used a pole like a  jousting stick against one of the Nazis because it tied in with his medieval obsession.  The dad was such a great character.  

The Eskimo father/son/brother thing was wholesome.

IMG_0951.gif

• Haha 1

Maybe watch the movie first?  Also, yes, time travel is WAY more fantasy than, oh, I don't know, THE ARK OF THE COVENANT.  LOL RELIGION.
michael-keaton.gif

The original Raiders of the Lost Ark had one of the most thrilling stunt sequences in history. It’s what made the movie great.

From what I can tell, this one is loaded with CGI (from one preview looked Sharknado-level ridiculous). And they have an elderly Harrison Ford in it, a great movie star who’s mostly been phoning it in the past 30 years.

And in another movie with time travel? Hard pass.

I’m alone on this but I found the whole “dad paying no attention while I save his ass then berating me for some pedantic thing” dynamic in Last Crusade really annoying.  Don’t get me wrong, the movie was pretty good otherwise and I see why people think it’s the best one.

Raiders was so good my 11-year-old ass bought a whip from the SA flea market with saved-up money and practiced until I was actually competent with it. I asked for a fedora that Christmas and I still have it somewhere. 

I’ve basically been chasing that high ever since-mostly unsuccessfully. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I’m alone on this but I found the whole “dad paying no attention while I save his ass then berating me for some pedantic thing” dynamic in Last Crusade really annoying.  Don’t get me wrong, the movie was pretty good otherwise and I see why people think it’s the best one.

I think you would be right if that if the movie had never moved off that but....

"What did you find dad?"

"Illumination"

The answer was more about turning the light back on with regard to his relationship with Indiana than the grail quest which he "let go".

Edited by Surly Bevo

On 7/5/2023 at 7:12 PM, Red Five said:

well I guess you just don’t like good movies. 

11 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

The Eskimo father/son/brother thing was wholesome.

IMG_0951.gif

I liked that when Sr. presumably nailed her she’d have been about 21 and he was about 65.  I know Connery was a bit younger than that but his character wasn’t.