EPL 2021-22

maninblack

4 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

The video is much better than a screen shot.

https://juststream.live/ExemptingNeighbourhoodsFolkish

I don't think it's a "stomp" because he's airborne avoiding the flying legs. But it's impossible to know what's in his head.

That's a straight red in my book.  He looks at the downed player then looks away as he delivers his boot right into the face he was just looking at.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Just from what I see in that picture totally not intentional, he's not even looking at the guy, how could he know a guy's face was there?

11 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

The video is much better than a screen shot.

https://juststream.live/ExemptingNeighbourhoodsFolkish

I don't think it's a "stomp" because he's airborne avoiding the flying legs. But it's impossible to know what's in his head.

That said, watching that video, IMHO clear red. He looks at him, looks away, STOMP! He's even selling the whole "OH I LOST MY BALANCE WITH THAT" throwing up his arms.

It got a yellow at least, right?

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

That's a straight red in my book.  He looks at the downed player then looks away as he delivers his boot right into the face he was just looking at.  

I can see that. Slow motion makes it harder, IMNSHO. I've seen less given, I've seen worse let go. 

But we can all agree. Fuck Mike Dean.

That does a raise a question about that boot to the head, did it even go to VAR? IE did Dean review it? Missing the call in real time is one thing, missing it on the monitor is completely different.

IE:

Real time - missed by Dean
VAR official - What happened here?
Dean reviews on monitor - did this happen?

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

That does a raise a question about that boot to the head, did it even go to VAR? IE did Dean review it? Missing the call in real time is one thing, missing it on the monitor is completely different.

Very much this. Fuck Mike Dean. but VAR ref didn't help him out. But fuck Mike Dean anyway.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

IE:

Real time - missed by Dean
VAR official - What happened here?
Dean reviews on monitor - did this happen?

VAR looked at it and said "nothing to see here." woth VAR and Mike Dean on the call, i'm not surprised that the call was missed. 

So I do have a few thoughts on this as well:

1. At this level, any time a guy steps on another guy, it is 100% intentional. Any replay will show this to be blatantly obvious. I watched Dele Alli once throw an extra step in just to make sure he got to step on a guy. These guys are too good they can easily do this and accidental there is a risk they injure themselves (roll and ankle or something),

2. In real time it would be really hard to throw a red card on events like these. It's hard to see them and honestly think he did that on purpose. I bet if they showed that play in real time, you wouldn't be able to tell.

3. VAR absolutely has to get these out of the game. That's flat dangerous and borders on intentionally trying to hurt a guy. The VAR ref has to send that to Dean to see it and review it.

14 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Not watching the game, just pulling the replays of both disallowed goals - they seem pretty clearly offsides. I'm not sure I see the argument.

The first was well off, IMHO and obvious to the eye in VAR.

The 2nd was pretty close, but the line of the box made it pretty clear.

both were offside, i'm just still not adjusted to "being ok" with needing slow-mo, frame by frame replays to get it right. 

The stomp should probably be a red in my book. But like someone said - I've probably seen worse get just a yellow. 

If that's an NBA game that's a flagrant 2 and ejection. If the officials feel like it's 50/50 whether it's intentional or not then it's probably intentional. Why should the player get the benefit of the doubt when he put a boot into someone's face?

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Gordon should have seen red IMO. Late and high is a red. 

totally agreed. had Granit Xhaka done either the face stomping or the high, studs up challenge he would have been (rightly) sent off. i don't believe there's any conspiracy, but year on year the numbers show that nobody gets fucked by referee/VAR decisions more than Arsenal. so weird, so frustrating.

15 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

totally agreed. had Granit Xhaka done either the face stomping or the high, studs up challenge he would have been (rightly) sent off. i don't believe there's any conspiracy, but year on year the numbers show that nobody gets fucked by referee/VAR decisions more than Arsenal. so weird, so frustrating.

I was curious about this because I think most fans think their club gets the short end of the VAR stick more often than not. Certainly there are varying degrees of VAR crimes against each club but here are the raw numbers.

2019-20:

image.thumb.png.7f89a39bc01d8ad5356c6ec97916569e.png

2020-21:

image.thumb.png.89cd28c2ea8b922f9a8e0274dfae3802.png

2021-22 so far:

image.thumb.png.f15f61e0ced0a0161e8b8678dc8bbf37.png

Some aggregate scores:

Brighton +11

Man United +6

Chelsea +1

Man City -1

Liverpool -2

Arsenal -4

Norwich -9 (two seasons)

Wolves -11

• Hook 'Em 5

I saw that report on ESPN (here btw), but I didn't like their methodology.

Take Arsenal for example, specifically yesterday's game:

Game: Everton (A; Dec. 6)
Incident: Richarlison goal disallowed for offside, 44th minute - FOR
Incident: Richarlison goal disallowed for offside, 57th minute - FOR

So by that account yesterday's game was +2 for them. But you could easily argue that the Godfrey incident should count in this score. VAR took some time to look at it and it technically went against them. And by that you change their score to +1 on the day and +2 on the season.

But with that 1 incident, you then might as well throw out the whole thing, because if you don't count that, what else isn't being counted?

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I saw that report on ESPN (here btw), but I didn't like their methodology.

Take Arsenal for example, specifically yesterday's game:

So by that account yesterday's game was +2 for them. But you could easily argue that the Godfrey incident should count in this score. VAR took some time to look at it and it technically went against them. And by that you change their score to +1 on the day and +2 on the season.

But with that 1 incident, you then might as well throw out the whole thing, because if you don't count that, what else isn't being counted?

They didn’t overturn anything in the Godfrey incident.

I agree there’s not really a perfect methodology but the scores are for incidents in which a call on the field was overturned after looking at VAR.

17 hours ago, 406W30th said:

They didn’t overturn anything in the Godfrey incident.

I agree there’s not really a perfect methodology but the scores are for incidents in which a call on the field was overturned after looking at VAR.

But overturning or not, once it is somewhat being reviewed, that should be judged as +1/-1 for a team.

This isn't EPL, but I don't see how Spurs play this weekend either. I mean at some level this goes beyond being fair, this starts to become a risk of the safety of the league. You're putting teams at risk.

And I will say this, given how the team went to 0 to full blown outbreak in just a few days, you kind of have to wonder if this was omicron and if so how at risk are the rest of the teams?