EPL 2021-22

maninblack

I'm not really sure what he's talking about. It's the system that was in place when he arrived. He only plays at the 9. He's been out injured and has 2 goals in the last 2 games (and a won penalty).

Maybe he thought he would like it and now doesn't? 

I'm not sure what the fuck we're doing with Pulisic. Besides trying to ruin him. Team is just kind of a mess in general right now although I think it's mostly attributable to fitness. 

There are more than 5 teams in the league,  yeah?

1. Manchester City – 44 games, 110 points, +81 GD
  2. Chelsea – 42 games, 83 points, +38 GD
  3. Liverpool – 41 games, 77 points, +43 GD
  4. Arsenal – 41 games, 76 points, +28 GD
  5. Manchester United – 41 games, 75 points +25 GD
  6. West Ham – 41 games, 73 points, +22 GD
  7. Tottenham – 40 games, 66 points, +14 GD
  8. Leicester – 40 games, 62 points, +7 GD
  9. Brighton – 40 games, 52 points, 0 GD
  10. Leeds – 40 games, 52 points, -10 GD
  11. Aston Villa – 42 games, 51 points, -9 GD
  12. Wolves – 40 games, 49 points, -11 GD
  13. Everton – 40 games, 49 points, -16 GD
  14. Crystal Palace – 41 games, 48 points, -16 GD
  15. Southampton – 41 games, 38 points, -36 GD
  16. Newcastle – 42 games, 37 points, -32 GD
  17. Burnley – 39 games, 34 points, -20 GD

The whining about City making the league boring in this and club specific threads is weird. The above graphic shows 2.5 points per match for a little over a season. Just two seasons ago Liverpool scored more than 2.6 points per match. The year before that both City and Liverpool scored over 2.5 points per match for the whole season. The year before that, City did. The year before that Chelsea scored 2.45 per match. 

This has been the norm for over half a decade now. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

The whining about City making the league boring in this and club specific threads is weird. The above graphic shows 2.5 points per match for a little over a season. Just two seasons ago Liverpool scored more than 2.6 points per match. The year before that both City and Liverpool scored over 2.5 points per match for the whole season. The year before that, City did. The year before that Chelsea scored 2.45 per match. 

This has been the norm for over half a decade now. 

I'm not really sure what your point is. I think the main gripe is that City is about to win 4 in 5 seasons. And this year they've basically got it in the bag with almost half the season remaining. Last year turned into a blowout as well. The year that City and Liverpool both almost hit 100 they were neck and neck the entire season. The year Chelsea finished on 93 they didn't clinch until the 36th match of the season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

My point is that the dominant club people are saying makes the league boring is only the one dominating half the time. I don't think we need to take the time to compare that to every other top league in the world. We all know that if you look at 6 season windows from any league basically ever that you're going to have a club posting the dominant seasons half the time. 

And 4 out of 5 in England also used to happen all the time. In the first seven 5 season windows in EPL history Manchester United won 4 titles in four of them. That is not a mistake. They had four separate 4 out of 5 stretches in the first 11 seasons. Then for good measure they had another one leading up to City's first title. 

Liverpool, of course, had similar runs before the EPL. From the 75-76 season through the 85-86 season they had four such stretches. The exact same 4 in 11 seasons that United had to start the EPL. This type of boredom isn't new, the only thing that's new is the club doing it. City's time will come to end, and almost certainly well before they match the boring domination of United or Liverpool from previous decades. Hopefully the next dominant club run is someone completely new. 

Well, at least we're not the Bundesliga. 

I'm not sure why you care so much what anyone else thinks. Just enjoy your run and leave the rest of us to complain that our ownership won't spend money on midfield depth or think to bring in a forward when two of your best are about to be gone for a month.

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't care what anyone thinks, only that they realize they're wrong. City's current run isn't anywhere near unprecedented, in fact it's pretty tame compared to previous England club runs. It would be nice to think "hey my team is having the most dominant run EVAR" but it's just not true.

Besides, I put it in this thread even though the silliness mostly exists in the club threads, it's just that I'm not annoying enough to go into other club's threads.

Edited by Huckleberry

22 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Not sure anyone is arguing that it's unprecedented. It's annoying, though. Is CFB fun with Alabama winning every other year?

Who in the ends up the top dog amongst 4 or 5 elites from year to year is not something most supporters of PL clubs worry about.

but I could see why a Liverpool fan would find it annoying.

1 minute ago, yoladu said:

Who in the ends up the top dog amongst 4 or 5 elites from year to year is not something most supporters of PL clubs worry about.

As a soccer fan I find it annoying. Yeah, I want Liverpool to win, but the year that Leicester made their run was great to watch. Having City win by Christmas sucks ass as a fan of the sport.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah City doesn't get a pass from me because other teams have made similar runs. It's why no one likes ManU but ManU fans. They were irritatingly dominant for 20 years. I'm sure people were annoyed by Liverpool's dominance in the 70s and 80s. 

I don't watch much BL but it's why I'm not a fan of BM. Granted their dominance also bleeds into the CL. 

Regardless of who's winning not having title races isn't fun. I guess it was a bit more palatable with Liverpool because they had the highest points ever to not win the year prior and hadn't won in 30 years. But I'll be plenty sick of it if they rattle off 3 straight or 4 in 5 seasons.

42 minutes ago, yoladu said:

That's bullshit and you know it. Just because your team is out of title contention doesn't mean you don't care who wins. YOU might not, but most EPL fans are, well, EPL fans. There's going to be certain teams that they'd rather see win. Does Everton not care when Pool wins? Do Tottenham fans not get pissy when Arsenal or Chelsea are on top? (Well actually Spurs fans might be numb to existence as a whole at this point. Not sure).

Edited by ztejas

Fuck it, I'll enjoy the talent in the EPL. Much better than watching Real Madrid play Atletico in the Champions League every year.

The last four years, only Real Madrid has made the finals from La Liga. Bayern has only made it once, PSG once. The rest has been EPL squads.