EPL 2021-22

maninblack

On 12/7/2021 at 1:46 PM, 406W30th said:

I was curious about this because I think most fans think their club gets the short end of the VAR stick more often than not. Certainly there are varying degrees of VAR crimes against each club but here are the raw numbers.

2019-20:

image.thumb.png.7f89a39bc01d8ad5356c6ec97916569e.png

2020-21:

image.thumb.png.89cd28c2ea8b922f9a8e0274dfae3802.png

2021-22 so far:

image.thumb.png.f15f61e0ced0a0161e8b8678dc8bbf37.png

Some aggregate scores:

Brighton +11

Man United +6

Chelsea +1

Man City -1

Liverpool -2

Arsenal -4

Norwich -9 (two seasons)

Wolves -11

aside from VAR, Arsenal regularly just has terrible officiating mistakes go against them for whatever reason. take this excerpt from a January 2020 ESPN arrivals which shows that Arsenal had already lost 9 points to bad officiating through that point in the season:

96AA697D-3F30-49F1-8EC7-99D899C94A56.thumb.jpeg.97a7f21aedca96f180f0dba3deb47cf7.jpeg

ive seen other, similar stats over the years. again, i don't buy into any conspiracy theories, it's just a real pain in the ass of an anomaly. take the two should-have-been red cards from the Everton game, and remember that they are only the latest in a long line of baffling red card/no red card decisions against Arsenal:

2EB9898D-8385-4594-A687-CF934BD5723D.jpeg.590c2cbaa1075d8d7d833f6fd01236e2.jpeg

only one of the six mentioned/pictured fouls ended up in a red card.

• Rage+1 1

On 12/8/2021 at 5:21 PM, shadow_operative said:

aside from VAR, Arsenal regularly just has terrible officiating mistakes go against them for whatever reason. take this excerpt from a January 2020 ESPN arrivals which shows that Arsenal had already lost 9 points to bad officiating through that point in the season:

96AA697D-3F30-49F1-8EC7-99D899C94A56.thumb.jpeg.97a7f21aedca96f180f0dba3deb47cf7.jpeg

ive seen other, similar stats over the years. again, i don't buy into any conspiracy theories, it's just a real pain in the ass of an anomaly. take the two should-have-been red cards from the Everton game, and remember that they are only the latest in a long line of baffling red card/no red card decisions against Arsenal:

2EB9898D-8385-4594-A687-CF934BD5723D.jpeg.590c2cbaa1075d8d7d833f6fd01236e2.jpeg

only one of the six mentioned/pictured fouls ended up in a red card.

I get your point but that shit just happens. Everton should have seen red twice against LFC last week. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I get your point but that shit just happens. Everton should have seen red twice against LFC last week. 

yeah but it happens to Arsenal A LOT. you've got the nine points we lost just from August - January in that graphic from 2020, you've got the two should-have-been red cards from the everton match, the photo collage above, and oh yeah, don't forget this ridiculous shit from just a month ago:

it's just fucking crazy how often it happens with Arsenal. feels like it happens to Arsenal as often as it does the other 19 teams combined. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah but it happens to Arsenal A LOT. you've got the nine points we lost just from August - January in that graphic from 2020, you've got the two should-have-been red cards from the everton match, the photo collage above, and oh yeah, don't forget this ridiculous shit from just a month ago:

it's just fucking crazy how often it happens with Arsenal. feels like it happens to Arsenal as often as it does the other 19 teams combined. 

Oh don’t take this as me saying you’re wrong because you’re not. Especially on the VAR stuff. That’s proven by the points. The other stuff though is more of a league wide issue. The prem has awful officiating and has for some time.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Oh don’t take this as me saying you’re wrong because you’re not. Especially on the VAR stuff. That’s proven by the points. The other stuff though is more of a league wide issue. The prem has awful officiating and has for some time.

EPL needs new blood in a bad, bad way. i wish that all professional leagues would treat officiating exactly the same as the sports themselves- you have to earn your way onto a team/into a role. make the position of EPL/NBA/NFL referee a prestigious, well paid, well earned position. i'm talking all new officiating schools for prospective officials with ranked graduating classes. officiating becoming a meritocracy, where the officials are held to the same standards as the players, and performance is tracked and made public. the best officials work the top leagues and the biggest games, and become public figures just like the athletes. 

of course officials unions make this totally impossible, but god damn, imagine how great the product could be if the officials had to earn their way just like the players and coaches.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Gorgeous goal by CP to ice the game. 

gorgeous goals tend to come when you're playing against scrub ass teams that couldn't fucking beat my fucking high school's team.

arsenal is the only win that everton has since the end of september.  they are amazingly bad and while i was fairly ambivalent about the rafa hire, what a fucking disaster.

On 12/12/2021 at 10:29 PM, Captain Ron said:

It appears that Villa and ManU both have COVID infections on their teams. It appears to be a small number, but exact numbers are unknown. Leicester had a few cases last week that affected their Europa League match Thursday.

ManU v Brentford postponed. The small number from Sunday turned into a much larger number today.

I'm hearing that Arsenal has some positive cases among their staff.

22 hours ago, sidis said:

gorgeous goals tend to come when you're playing against scrub ass teams that couldn't fucking beat my fucking high school's team.

arsenal is the only win that everton has since the end of september.  they are amazingly bad and while i was fairly ambivalent about the rafa hire, what a fucking disaster.

I think Rafa is well past it but the ownership is the reason for Everton's demise. Half a billion spent on players since Moshiri came in and Rafa is the sixth managers in the last six years. The whole club is a train wreck right now.

21 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

I think Rafa is well past it but the ownership is the reason for Everton's demise. Half a billion spent on players since Moshiri came in and Rafa is the sixth managers in the last six years. The whole club is a train wreck right now.

well clearly that is the case.  they were responsible for bringing in rafa.  they did a good job getting ancelotti and there's nothing you can do about it when real comes calling.  but every other move has been dumbshit after dumbshit decision.

based on chelsea, liverpool, and now even united, we need to go pluck some mother fucker out of germany and just give that a shot.  stop buying guys that are hurt all the time.  between calvert-lewin this year and james last year, we sure pay a lot of money for dudes to sit around a bunch.

the entire club is ripe for burning the mother fucker to the ground and starting from scratch.  kind of like a college football team i know.

5 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Never did hear the full story on why he was suspended.

Auba was given permission to leave the country to go see his mother, but he did not return when he was supposed to. him being late caused covid testing issues and caused him him to miss training, which in turn rules him out for Southampton. here's the official club statement:

A2F3FE26-6231-4755-8AC4-04129483CB22.thumb.jpeg.086f2138b561e4fdaadba76968710141.jpeg

i don't think has ever had one standout, really bad misstep, more like repeated small infractions that Arteta is tired of. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Scoring goals would have made all those problems go away.

Being on a huge contract and not scoring on the other hand...

It's almost like ...

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Pretty impressive track record of Arsenal paying over 30 players stupid wages and then immediately hating them.

• Hook 'Em 1

well it sucks, because he's basically a 6.5/10 type player, other than when he's getting a yellow (or two, or a red), and nothing more. and yet apparently his presence in the dressing room is very important, so i guess he's going to be playing and starting for us for another year or more. i'd rather have Sambi Lokonga getting his minutes, but what are you gonna do? oh that's right, i'm going to wait a match or two before Xhaka does something to get himself suspended.