120 Degrees Today In Tri-Cities, Washington

SwAss

6 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I have a nice gas guzzling SUV. My daughters keep bugging me to get an electric car. I take long road trips and need the size of the SUV to carry shit. I complain that electric cars have shitty ranges and then have to wait a long ass time to charge making road trips unnecessarily longer and complicated than needed.

"Dad, if you want to do your part, you have to make some sacrifices."

My girls are getting electric vehicles. There is no choice to them. They are limiting their consuming of beef and pork due to the adverse environmental issues to raise them. They are woke and hell bent on doing their part, however small, to mitigate some of the issues which are mostly beyond their control.

The point isn't who's fault it is that the climate change is happening. The point is what are we (our generation, our parents, and the geriatric fuckers in Congress) doing to mitigate it and pave a better life for our kids? What are we doing to insure them a path to financial success and stability? I can't imagine someone in her 30s independently trying to buy a house now or paying her own way through college. When we went to school, tuition was $2-3K. I have a buddy who used to pay his tuition in 1's and 5's he made from tips bartending. Now it's $12k for tuition and another $8-12K for housing. What full time college student can afford that without help? And we shit on the idea of forgiving student loans because we paid our own way. Yea, try to pay your own way now, assholes.

I feel for my kids and their kids. There's a reason a lot of 20-30 year olds don't want kids . They see the shit sandwich that is their future. I feel for them.

Rant over.

My next car will be electric. Be the change that you want to see in the world. I tell my kids that all the time. I need to quit being a dickhead.

Electric cars are just better cars to drive. Instant torque. Smooth throttle response. No noise or smells. No waking up and having to fuck your schedule to refuel the middle of the week (because you're doing it at home). And one pedal driving is amazing and destresses driving once you get use to it. You'll get over the range thing on long road trips because the overall experience will be that much better. 

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

104 and still climbing.  85 in the house.  Hit 90 in the house last evening.  Hoping the cool down starts sooner tonight.

Make yourself one of these:

maxresdefault.jpg

Kinda serious.  Cheap styrofoam cooler, any fan you have laying around (or hell, buy a computer cooling fan at a local electronics shop), and a PVC elbow.  Fill with ice, and you've got nice directional cooling of a small space, like a bedroom.

I'm gonna help my daughter work one up for her apartment in Montreal.  They don't have AC, and the first couple of months of the semester are pretty warm.  If she could knock her bedroom down even 2-3 degrees, she'd get a good night's sleep.  And she can freeze new blocks of ice in tupperware in their freezer every day.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, bolverk said:

Ain't this some shit. I get fucking miserable over anything above 100 and can't come close to imagining a) dealing with this kind of heat without a/c and b) having barely experienced this kind of heat before...evar.

image.png.a084811180a40e9b8374e1b02a4f7fe5.png

image.png.097c994450a578737aff097659454b84.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/06/29/upshot/portland-seattle-vancouver-weather.html

*@Incredulity looks completely normal*

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm looking at the Ford F-150 hybrid.  For three reasons: 1) I've had a truck for 20+ years, and I use it, so another one is practical, 2) hybrid means more fuel economy and lower emissions, and 3) if I get the high-end hybrid, it generates 7.2kw of energy, and can be used as a whole house generator, which in ERCOT country, I expect to need.

I figure I'll pay for it, but between lower carbon footprint and not having to buy a separate house generator, it may be a good buy.

You might want to check out the F-150 Lightning. It does all of that, is fully electric, and in general looks like pretty fricking awesome package (and I'm not a truck guy). 

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You might want to check out the F-150 Lightning. It does all of that, is fully electric, and in general looks like pretty fricking awesome package (and I'm not a truck guy). 

All electric just isn't practical for me.  I take my truck out into the sticks, where there aren't any chargers for many many miles.  Unless and until I can charge it off household power (and even then.....maybe....I hunt and fish plenty of places where there's not even that), hybrid it has to be.

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

*@Incredulity looks completely normal*

Read what I wrote.  The tri-cities is nothing like Seattle or Portland for normal climate or weather.

42 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Read what I wrote.  The tri-cities is nothing like Seattle or Portland for normal climate or weather.

19 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Normal, PNW wide?  No.

100’s in the tri-cities is normal.

image.png.6262501dca63af9de12b9da909b12985.png

image.thumb.png.844befebb6c356462f196ed60157bfb6.png

This shit ain't "normal" for them. Sure, I can buy a place with an average high of 91 occasionally having a heat wave and pushing 100 a handful of times per year. Now, look at their fucking forecast.

• Hook 'Em 2

Can't believe it get's that hot in the Pacific NW.  I know parts of Washington and Oregon are a desert but hell, Southeast Idaho is a desert (that grows potatoes) and it gets -40 in the winter!  What may be causing these extreme Phoenix-like temps in what is supposed to be the coolest part of the country this time of the year?

SwAss stand for sweaty ass?

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm looking at the Ford F-150 hybrid.  For three reasons: 1) I've had a truck for 20+ years, and I use it, so another one is practical, 2) hybrid means more fuel economy and lower emissions, and 3) if I get the high-end hybrid, it generates 7.2kw of energy, and can be used as a whole house generator, which in ERCOT country, I expect to need.

I figure I'll pay for it, but between lower carbon footprint and not having to buy a separate house generator, it may be a good buy.

all full size trucks should have been hybrid starting about a decade ago.  instant torque, space to put batteries, getting 4 mpg on top of 20 is as good as getting 10 mpg on top of 30 (saving .8 gallons / 100 miles), etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

image.png.6262501dca63af9de12b9da909b12985.png

image.thumb.png.844befebb6c356462f196ed60157bfb6.png

This shit ain't "normal" for them. Sure, I can buy a place with an average high of 91 occasionally having a heat wave and pushing 100 a handful of times per year. Now, look at their fucking forecast.

I'd still rather have that than the typical Houston summer.  At least it is cooling off at night there.  It won't get below 82 or 83 here at night in July and August. 

10 minutes ago, Hate said:

I'd still rather have that than the typical Houston summer.  At least it is cooling off at night there.  It won't get below 82 or 83 here at night in July and August. 

No kidding. I grew up out in West Texas and the relatively low humidity, plus some elevation, really lets it cool down at night. Sometimes even with a decent breeze. I know Austin is not in the same class as Houston, but it was a real shock how it doesn't really cool off at night when I moved down here.

This seems awfully high unless they were all married men seizing the opportunity to end it now.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/29/americas/canada-heat-wave-deaths/index.html

More than 230 deaths have been reported in British Columbia since Friday as a historic heat wave brought record-high temperatures, officials said Tuesday. The province's chief coroner called it an "unprecedented time."

"Since the onset of the heat wave late last week, the BC Coroners Service has experienced a significant increase in deaths reported where it is suspected that extreme heat has been contributory," Chief Coroner Lisa Lapointe said in a statement.
The coroner's service normally receives about 130 death reports over a four-day period. From Friday through Monday, at least 233 deaths were reported, the chief coroner said, adding "this number will increase as data continues to be updated."
Coroners are now gathering information to determine the cause and manner of deaths and whether heat played a role, the statement said.

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This seems awfully high unless they were all married men seizing the opportunity to end it now.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/29/americas/canada-heat-wave-deaths/index.html

More than 230 deaths have been reported in British Columbia since Friday as a historic heat wave brought record-high temperatures, officials said Tuesday. The province's chief coroner called it an "unprecedented time."

"Since the onset of the heat wave late last week, the BC Coroners Service has experienced a significant increase in deaths reported where it is suspected that extreme heat has been contributory," Chief Coroner Lisa Lapointe said in a statement.
The coroner's service normally receives about 130 death reports over a four-day period. From Friday through Monday, at least 233 deaths were reported, the chief coroner said, adding "this number will increase as data continues to be updated."
Coroners are now gathering information to determine the cause and manner of deaths and whether heat played a role, the statement said.

I would believe it.  Anyone in a really frail state without AC(I would assume BC has PNW type% or less for AC) would be in big trouble.  

Talked to a friend in PNW who's AC failed on Monday.  He said the upstairs of his house was over 100 degrees by Monday evening.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

I would believe it.  Anyone in a really frail state without AC(I would assume BC has PNW type% or less for AC) would be in big trouble.  

Talked to a friend in PNW who's AC failed on Monday.  He said the upstairs of his house was over 100 degrees by Monday evening.

I would assume that we have similar numbers on the US side. Fucking crazy.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I was in Europe during their record heat wave of 2003. It’s estimated that 70k died during that heat wave.

Heat and drought are on average the biggest killers year after year. More than earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, or any other natural disaster. And make no mistake, drought is a technical natural disaster.

On 6/29/2021 at 4:09 PM, cam4mav said:

Took this yesterday on the way from Seattle to Woodinville with my dog because the parents house has AC while my deathbox does not. Only even one ceiling fan in a 3 story townhouse. The previous night I moved the car outside and slept on an air mattress in the garage cause it was 80 down there vs upper 90's in the bedroom. Gotta do what you gotta do emoji1787.png

Seattle is not built for this shit. Entire area is cranky to say the least. e3434bc3aa034278d5205bccfbd0a485.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Totally unrelated... is The Horseshoe still open in Woodinville?

3 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Totally unrelated... is The Horseshoe still open in Woodinville?

had to look it up lol. Doesn't seem to be. No google review within the last 8 months and the owner died last year according the their facebook which hasn't done much lately.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

had to look it up lol. Doesn't seem to be. No google review within the last 8 months and the owner died last year according the their facebook which hasn't done much lately.

Thanks for the leg work!  I only mention it because my father was a mainstay at the place.  He was either there or work or home, mostly there,  until he passed away in '15.  You mentioned Woodinville and my mind went straight to that place.

• Hook 'Em 1