120 Degrees Today In Tri-Cities, Washington

SwAss

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Oh, and on the slightly humorous/sad side, we have guests from Austin that arrived last night who have never been here before and were excited to vacation here.  That’s some bad luck.

Time to float the Deschutes or cascade lakes, head to cooler elevation at Crater Lake and/or the inside of a movie theater or brewery. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://www.livescience.com/arctic-circle-siberia-hot-day-2021.html

Arctic Circle is already recording 118 F degree days (and summer is just heating up)

By Brandon Specktor - Senior Writer 5 days ago

On the same day last year, air temperatures in the area blazed past 100 degrees F for the first time in recorded history.

Land temperatures in Siberia exceeded 118 degrees Fahrenheit on the first day of summer.Land temperatures in Siberia exceeded 118 degrees Fahrenheit on the first day of summer. (Image credit: European Union, Copernicus Sentinel-3 imagery)

On the summer solstice (June 20 — the longest day of the year) two European Union satellites recorded a scorching temperature of 118 degrees Fahrenheit (48 degrees Celsius ) on the ground in Arctic Siberia.

This isn't quite a new heat record; as a post on the EU's Copernicus satellite website noted, this egg-boiling temperature was detected only on the ground in Siberia's Sakha Republic, while the region's air temperature (the temperature people would actually feel while walking around) was a toasty 86 F (30 C).

However, that's still an anomalously high temperature for the Arctic Circle — and one that could exacerbate the region's melting permafrost, which is the only thing preventing ancient caches of greenhouse gases from reentering Earth's atmosphere, according to Gizmodo.

Related: 10 signs Earth's climate is off the rails

The EU's Copernicus Sentinal-3A and 3B satellites recorded the high temperatures in the midst of an ongoing heat wave over much of Siberia. The heat spike is, unfortunately, a predictable start to summer, following a spring that saw hundreds of wildfires scorching the Siberian countryside and blacking out major cities with blankets of smoke.

RELATED CONTENT

Many of these spring fires were "zombie fires," so named because they are thought to be the rekindled remains of wildfires that ignited the previous summer and were never fully extinguished. The zombie fires smoldered for months under winter ice and snow, fed by the carbon-rich peat below the surface. When the spring melt arrived, the old fires blazed anew, Live Science previously reported.

If last summer is any indication, the hot solstice temperatures are just the beginning. Precisely one year ago, on June 20, 2020, the same region of Siberia recorded the first 100 F (38 C) day above the Arctic Circle — the hottest temperature ever recorded there. The sweltering day in Siberia fits into a larger climate change trend. For years, average temperatures in the Arctic have been rising at a far faster rate than anywhere else on Earth, largely due to melting sea ice induced by man-made global warming.

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

I read a story yesterday that all the local hotels are getting booked by locals up because they have A/C and many homes up there don't. And the hotels weren't planned or stocked for getting slammed randomly in the summer, so they're running out of food and amenities and the staff are starting to break. It's a bad time. 

But hey, at least they don't have to worry about their power going off because of unseasonable warmth. So they got that going for em.

Fuck off, we just lost power yesterday.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Time to float the Deschutes or cascade lakes, head to cooler elevation at Crater Lake and/or the inside of a movie theater or brewery. 

Yep.  Lots of river time during the day.   The thing is sleeping at night, but I believe tomorrow looks promising in terms of cooling off more at night.  Edit:  Also, Oregon officially "opens up" tomorrow, so all the dine-in restaurants that have AC will be able to hold more folks. 

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 1

dry climates tend to have a smaller range of temperatures?

giphy.gif

Aridity increases temperature variation because dry air warms up/cools down faster than moist air.

What is happening in the PNW right now is a once in a generation, or even lifetime phenomenon, and the kind of extreme that is made more extreme by the warming of the planet. A similar event to the one that set their prior 100 degree heat records, but more intense due to the current state of the climate.

Of course, you’ll have people overreact and say this is going to be normal summer shit in 20 years - it’s not. You’ll also have people say nothing to see here - definitely not so either.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Portland appears to be better off than I would have guessed with regard to AC
fyiguy-airconditioning-chart2-WEB.thumb.jpg.dae45158c2d214c4d9e4a1c38a9315f0.jpg

That’s a crazy chart. I thought my in-laws were the only crazies in this country to not have AC until they installed a window unit in one room 5 years ago. Never would’ve guessed that half of an entire metro of 2 major cities would ignore the use of an A/C

11 hours ago, SwAss said:

and it's humid in Portland.  I'd be hitting Cannon Beach swimming in the cold water with the great whites if it gave me some relief from those temps.  Wonder how hot it was on the coast if it was that hot in Portland.  

the coldest summer i ever spent was in Cannon Beach.

We were in a restaurant that had a fireplace going in July.

That’s a crazy chart. I thought my in-laws were the only crazies in this country to not have AC until they installed a window unit in one room 5 years ago. Never would’ve guessed that half of an entire metro of 2 major cities would ignore the use of an A/C

I’m sure newer builds have it by default but the cost/benefit for installing it in an older home isn’t there in those areas. Average summer highs in Seattle are in the 70s and San Francisco averages 70 degrees in September, everything else below that. Of course, the Bay Area micro climate game is strong to quite strong, so really depends on where you are.

26 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Anyone with kids should be mindful of what kind of world we are leaving for them and their kids. I feel for them because as a whole we are leaving them a shit sandwich. 

yeah...so my poor niece is doing a summer internship in OR, working with a mountain conservation corps group, specifically because of 'the world we are leaving them'... as in this is her passion and what she wants to do in life. 

the fact they are having to work in these temps up there right now is rather incredible. and not in a good way. 😒

anyway, i keep sending her texts that just say WATER! lol. i'm sure they are fine but i just keep worrying that the folks that actually live/work there full time are inexperienced with this kind of heat! 😕

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, mchookem said:

yeah...so my poor niece is doing a summer internship in OR, working with a mountain conservation corps group, specifically because of 'the world we are leaving them'... as in this is her passion and what she wants to do in life. 

the fact they are having to work in these temps up there right now is rather incredible. and not in a good way. 😒

anyway, i keep sending her texts that just say WATER! lol. i'm sure they are fine but i just keep worrying that the folks that actually live/work there full time are inexperienced with this kind of heat! 😕

I bet a lot of people don't know the first signs of heat exhaustion up here, but the very simple drink water should mitigate most of the bad effects. I actually felt really tired and with a stomach ache on Friday at the end of my work day. didn't take me long to figure I had it. I stopped, poured water on my head, wrists and slowed down what I was doing till I felt better. It was a funny surprise since I haven't needed to do that in a long time.

• Hook 'Em 2

I have a nice gas guzzling SUV. My daughters keep bugging me to get an electric car. I take long road trips and need the size of the SUV to carry shit. I complain that electric cars have shitty ranges and then have to wait a long ass time to charge making road trips unnecessarily longer and complicated than needed.

"Dad, if you want to do your part, you have to make some sacrifices."

My girls are getting electric vehicles. There is no choice to them. They are limiting their consuming of beef and pork due to the adverse environmental issues to raise them. They are woke and hell bent on doing their part, however small, to mitigate some of the issues which are mostly beyond their control.

The point isn't who's fault it is that the climate change is happening. The point is what are we (our generation, our parents, and the geriatric fuckers in Congress) doing to mitigate it and pave a better life for our kids? What are we doing to insure them a path to financial success and stability? I can't imagine someone in her 30s independently trying to buy a house now or paying her own way through college. When we went to school, tuition was $2-3K. I have a buddy who used to pay his tuition in 1's and 5's he made from tips bartending. Now it's $12k for tuition and another $8-12K for housing. What full time college student can afford that without help? And we shit on the idea of forgiving student loans because we paid our own way. Yea, try to pay your own way now, assholes.

I feel for my kids and their kids. There's a reason a lot of 20-30 year olds don't want kids . They see the shit sandwich that is their future. I feel for them.

Rant over.

My next car will be electric. Be the change that you want to see in the world. I tell my kids that all the time. I need to quit being a dickhead.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Normal, PNW wide?  No.

100’s in the tri-cities is normal.

is this where we argue weather/climate?  

One of the worst snowstorms in Portland history was this year too.  So I guess you’ll pivot to “extreme” weather narrative 

The cloak room is calling you.  Whoooooo...  Hear it?  

Oh, I also spent my morning on mirror pond before work, stand up paddle boarding.  Helps that the sun seemingly comes out around 4:30 am here during the spring/summer.  Had all of mirror pond to myself which was crazy.  Was about 70 degrees, felt great.  So this week's weather sucks, but still overall wouldn't trade this place for anywhere.  Just need to add AC to my house at some point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Yep.  Lots of river time during the day.   The thing is sleeping at night, but I believe tomorrow looks promising in terms of cooling off more at night.  Edit:  Also, Oregon officially "opens up" tomorrow, so all the dine-in restaurants that have AC will be able to hold more folks. 

So between the fires/smoke, and the heat, does El Campo start to seem more habitable?  DIdn't think so 😀

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/climate-and-people/hotter-human-body-can-handle-pakistan-city-broils-worlds-highest/

When the full midsummer heat hits Jacobabad, the city retreats inside as if sheltering from attack.

The streets are deserted and residents hunker down as best they can to weather temperatures that can top 52C (126F).

with the risk of getting very CR, here's an example of the geriatric response in Congress. this is one of the reasons why nothing will get done by our nations' leaders to combat climate change. again, don't care what's causing it. what are we doing to mitigate and dare i say, correct it? selfish fucksticks don't give a shit. they'll die before the shit really hits the fan. It's our children's issue to deal with.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/09/politics/louie-gohmert-climate-change-fact-check/index.html

During the Natural Resources Subcommittee hearing, Gohmert appeared to draw a connection between the moon and Earth's orbit and solar flares to climate change. In questioning US Forest Service Associate Deputy Chief Jennifer Eberlien, Gohmert asked if the National Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management could change the orbits of the moon and Earth, making a comment that some saw as an attempt to argue that climate change should be viewed as a natural phenomenon rather than man-made.
"I was informed by the immediate past director of NASA that they have found that the moon's orbit is changing slightly and so is the Earth's orbit around the sun," Gohmert said.
"We know there's been significant solar flare activity. And so, is there anything that the National Forest Service or BLM (Bureau of Land Management) can do to change the course of the moon's orbit or the Earth's orbit around the sun? Obviously, that would have profound effects on our climate," the congressman asked Eberlien.
Eberlien responded that she "would have to follow up with you on that one, Mr. Gohmert."

5 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Oh, and on the slightly humorous/sad side, we have guests from Austin that arrived last night who have never been here before and were excited to vacation here.  That’s some bad luck.

This happened to me the only time I ever travelled there. 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

The point isn't who's fault it is that the climate change is happening. The point is what are we (our generation, our parents, and the geriatric fuckers in Congress) doing to mitigate it and pave a better life for our kids?

Some of those geriatric fucks and (possibly) your parents generation and my grandparents generation left us with flaming rivers.  People see today’s problems and forget how far environmentally we’ve come.   There are entire continents that still dgaf about climate change, some of them close to if not the worst offenders. 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

I have a nice gas guzzling SUV. My daughters keep bugging me to get an electric car. I take long road trips and need the size of the SUV to carry shit. I complain that electric cars have shitty ranges and then have to wait a long ass time to charge making road trips unnecessarily longer and complicated than needed.

"Dad, if you want to do your part, you have to make some sacrifices."

My girls are getting electric vehicles. There is no choice to them. They are limiting their consuming of beef and pork due to the adverse environmental issues to raise them. They are woke and hell bent on doing their part, however small, to mitigate some of the issues which are mostly beyond their control.

I feel for my kids and their kids. There's a reason a lot of 20-30 year olds don't want kids . They see the shit sandwich that is their future. I feel for them.

Rant over.

My next car will be electric. Be the change that you want to see in the world. I tell my kids that all the time. I need to quit being a dickhead.

Split the difference and get a hybrid.  You have gasoline range with plug-in capability.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/climate-and-people/hotter-human-body-can-handle-pakistan-city-broils-worlds-highest/

When the full midsummer heat hits Jacobabad, the city retreats inside as if sheltering from attack.

The streets are deserted and residents hunker down as best they can to weather temperatures that can top 52C (126F).

This is Houston in like 2050 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Split the difference and get a hybrid.  You have gasoline range with plug-in capability.

I'm looking at the Ford F-150 hybrid.  For three reasons: 1) I've had a truck for 20+ years, and I use it, so another one is practical, 2) hybrid means more fuel economy and lower emissions, and 3) if I get the high-end hybrid, it generates 7.2kw of energy, and can be used as a whole house generator, which in ERCOT country, I expect to need.

I figure I'll pay for it, but between lower carbon footprint and not having to buy a separate house generator, it may be a good buy.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

3) if I get the high-end hybrid, it generates 7.2kw of energy, and can be used as a whole house generator, which in ERCOT country, I expect to need.

Think this through. How long will a half tank of gas last at high idle? (because shit never happens with a full tank) Now, if the power is out everywhere, how you gonna fill up unless you have a tank at the house?

Granted it is an emergency backup, but there's restrictions.

The country solution is get an Ag exempt fuel permit and buy a couple hundred gallons of tractor fuel.

Edited by RPM

7 minutes ago, RPM said:

Think this through. How long will a half tank of gas last at high idle? (because shit never happens with a full tank) Now, if the power is out everywhere, how you gonna fill up unless you have a tank at the house?

IDK man, having 7.2Kw of juice at your fingertips anywhere you can drive your truck sounds pretty damn handy to me. Don't need to lug a generator around to a tailgate, just grab a gas can for your truck!

From what I've read, it's only like a $750 upgrade if you're buying the hybrid F150, seems like a no-brainer upgrade

Just now, RPM said:

Not saying it won't work, but you gotta prepper a bit in anticipation or you're f'd after a few hours. Short term jobsite stuff, it sounds great, but I'd still want an extra tank. 

My commute isn't long, it's not hard to keep a full tank.  And in most of our potential blackouts, 1) we have some warning, and 2) we're not blacked out everywhere.  I can put a 5 gallon can or two in one of our other vehicles, head up the road, and fill up to bring it back.  Or, if I'm anticipating it, I can have a coupla cans at home ready to go.  If I don't use them for a blackout that month, I'll just use them to fill my tank.  Doesn't take a LOT of planning.

17 minutes ago, RPM said:

The country solution is get an Ag exempt fuel permit and buy a couple hundred gallons of tractor fuel.

You'd need fuel for a standalone backup generator anyway, so I'm not sure this really matters one way or the other.  

I've been begging for a hyrbid pickup for years, the additional power and torque from the electric motor would be great for towing, in addition to its other benefits.  I wish the electric motor on the new hyrbid F150 were a little beefier, but this is a start for sure. 

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My commute isn't long, it's not hard to keep a full tank.  And in most of our potential blackouts, 1) we have some warning, and 2) we're not blacked out everywhere.  I can put a 5 gallon can or two in one of our other vehicles, head up the road, and fill up to bring it back.  Or, if I'm anticipating it, I can have a coupla cans at home ready to go.  If I don't use them for a blackout that month, I'll just use them to fill my tank.  Doesn't take a LOT of planning.

Not bad, not good. How you gonna fill up the 5g cans when the gas station doesn't have power? Buy a 55g barrel ($20 max) and use that as your reserve tank. Use that to fill your mowers, etc in normal times to rotate the fuel and refill with the 5g cans as you use it. Plan for worse than you expect.

2 minutes ago, RPM said:

Not bad, not good. How you gonna fill up the 5g cans when the gas station doesn't have power? Buy a 55g barrel ($20 max) and use that as your reserve tank. Use that to fill your mowers, etc in normal times to rotate the fuel and refill with the 5g cans as you use it. Plan for worse than you expect.

you missed the part where I noted that "we're not blacked out everywhere."  For example, during the snowpocalypse, my parents who live a mile away never lost power.  There were plenty of gas stations with power -- maybe not the one right around the corner, but one a mile or two away will.  We aren't suffering "the whole state lost all power" failures (well.....not yet).

I can easily fill a couple of 5gal cans before any expected crisis point (we do get some warning).  And if I need to fill them, in any outage we've ever had, I could have gone to a gas station within a mile or two that had power.  No big deal.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This is Houston in like 2050 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been to both places and man they are hot as shit. Dubai sucked as well. But the hottest I have ever been was in Helmand Province in Southern Afghanistan. Hot as fuck, humid and body armor just made it suck even more. 

Took this yesterday on the way from Seattle to Woodinville with my dog because the parents house has AC while my deathbox does not. Only even one ceiling fan in a 3 story townhouse. The previous night I moved the car outside and slept on an air mattress in the garage cause it was 80 down there vs upper 90's in the bedroom. Gotta do what you gotta do

Seattle is not built for this shit. Entire area is cranky to say the least. e3434bc3aa034278d5205bccfbd0a485.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, RPM said:

I rode out Laura and Delta here in Lake Charles. We didn't have power for 18 straight days after Laura. It was a sweltering SW Louisiana nightmare. Some lessons learned:

1) A whole house genny that runs on NG is the best way to go, period.

2) The gas stations get open fairly quickly on generators. Gas/diesel is available faster than you would expect.

3) Gas cans suck but they are doable. I have (5) five gallon racing cans that I was filling with diesel to run a rented 20KW Sunbelt. Running the genny from 6pm-7am nightly, I had to fill it every other day. The alternative was a diesel service that would come by to fill it for $300 a pop. Fuck that shit.

4) You don't run your whole house genny 24 hours a day. Run it at night when you need a shower, shit and a comfortable night's sleep. Spend your days outside doing stuff and give it a break/conserve fuel.

Edited by smuggs
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

Took this yesterday on the way from Seattle to Woodinville with my dog because the parents house has AC while my deathbox does not. Only even one ceiling fan in a 3 story townhouse. The previous night I moved the car outside and slept on an air mattress in the garage cause it was 80 down there vs upper 90's in the bedroom. Gotta do what you gotta do emoji1787.png

Seattle is not built for this shit. Entire area is cranky to say the least. e3434bc3aa034278d5205bccfbd0a485.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Here in OKC, it's been in the 70s and raining for the last few days. I don't know who ordered this weather trade but I for one would buy that guy a beer. 

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Get a hammock dude. Better than an air mattress. 

I have one in my car at all times cause they do in fact rock. Can't hang it in my fucking garage though haha

Edited by cam4mav

4 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Here in OKC, it's been in the 70s and raining for the last few days. I don't know who ordered this weather trade but I for one would buy that guy a beer. 

Someone needs to come get this weather, it's drunk as fuck and out of hand and ended up the PNW 

edit: Bad parts over, just don't need it again like, ever 

Edited by cam4mav

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

A few hooks into studs will do the trick. 

valid suggestion but there 2 are cement walls and the garage door. Only drywall/studs is the wall the stairs run up with. Why it stays so cold down there but i'm not messing with that. 

• Hook 'Em 1