The Health and Fitness Thread for carb-fiends

It's their journey, but that body transforming thread is a beating.  (Apologies to anyone from over there I offend.)  Anyway...

Hi!  My name is Parliament.  I have bad genes and a 43 year old metabolism.  But I'm trying.  Two years ago I FINALLY found cardio that I can be good at.  Bleacher sprints.  Not for everyone, I'm sure, but it is my calling.

I office at home, and on the days I'm home over lunch it's chicken breast and raw veggies.  On the road it's 50% healthy road food and 50% unhealthy road food.

Your suggestions are appreciated.  Go

I don't know. I probably fit into this thread. 

41. Wouldn't say bad genes. I genuinely enjoy lifting weights but as I am getting older I get hurt often - pulled muscles, tendinitis, shit like that. I still lift "heavy" when I can, but no longer with free weights. More like cables and machines. I legit do 45-60 min of cardio almost every single day without fail. I work from home also and I copped a "Fit Desk" stationary bike that I've been using for 2+ years. It's probably kept me from ballooning because I got through periods (especially in winter) where I eat like crap. I drink too much but I'm pretty good about trying to keep those calories down. I drink vodka and soda mostly. Or straight bourbon. My weakness is I'm completely addicted to pizza. I can eat straight chicken breasts for 90% of my meals but there is no doubt I will wither and die if I don't eat a big fat pepperoni pizza at least once a week, and more like twice in a normal week. 

I was just thinking we need one of these. Have a gym pet peeve thread, a fat loss thread, but no real ongoing health and fitness thread.

Been doing a bastardized Strong Lift 5x5 that turned into a bastardized Texas Method for about a year. Need to lock something in quickly to prevent fuckaround-itis setting in. But I’m pretty good about routine workouts. Distance and interval swimming when I can. Drink more than I should, but eat pretty well during the week, slightly Low Carb / High Fat (because thats what I prefer)

Happy with my dad bod at ~13%BF. I’ve been steady for 24+ months. Trying to decide if I should make a 90 day dedication to eat right and cut some fat to see defined 6 pack abs again 1 last time, but struggling to find the motivation between kids, wife, job and mid 30s...pizza is good. Beer is better.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Wrong thread. The other one has great discussion on keto and fasting. (One guy eats only once a week or something.)

Please take it there.

haha, i think its more like once a month.   Keto can definitely suck, as i love carbs hoping to transition back to a regular healthy diet with  some carbs soon.    p90x used to be a popular regimen back on shag for a while, what is the new kid on the block for exercising?

I lost 20 lbs. last summer.  Cut down (not quit) carbs, watch sugar intake, smaller portions and semi regular exercise. Walk 3x at 35-40 minutes, walk 2x at 60 minutes.  Push-ups, air squats, simple ab routine.  I'm 54.  

Harvey hit  and the routine went away and I'm back where I started.  Now the routine started again last week.  Down some already. 

Not being a lazy pig seems to work for me.  Plus, I'm afeart of "fad" diets.   

8 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I don't know. I probably fit into this thread. 

41. Wouldn't say bad genes. I genuinely enjoy lifting weights but as I am getting older I get hurt often - pulled muscles, tendinitis, shit like that. I still lift "heavy" when I can, but no longer with free weights. More like cables and machines. I legit do 45-60 min of cardio almost every single day without fail. I work from home also and I copped a "Fit Desk" stationary bike that I've been using for 2+ years. It's probably kept me from ballooning because I got through periods (especially in winter) where I eat like crap. I drink too much but I'm pretty good about trying to keep those calories down. I drink vodka and soda mostly. Or straight bourbon. My weakness is I'm completely addicted to pizza. I can eat straight chicken breasts for 90% of my meals but there is no doubt I will wither and die if I don't eat a big fat pepperoni pizza at least once a week, and more like twice in a normal week. 

Try EMOM (Every Minute, on the Minute.)  Set you timer to chime on the minute, and bang out as many reps as you can.  You'll get some cardio out of it.

Edited by Parliament

9 hours ago, Parliament said:

Wrong thread. The other one has great discussion on keto and fasting. (One guy eats only once a week or something.)

Please take it there.

1.  Didn't see that other thread.

2.  You said "suggestions are appreciated".  These were two suggestions.  If you didn't want suggestions, then don't invite them.

3.  The title of this thread had "carb fiends" in it...which is what I am currently.

Edited by Uncle Nate

9 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

41. Wouldn't say bad genes. I genuinely enjoy lifting weights but as I am getting older I get hurt often - pulled muscles, tendinitis, shit like that. I still lift "heavy" when I can, but no longer with free weights. More like cables and machines.

I'm 43, and right around 40 I realized that I just can't go "heavy" (for me, that was 4-5 reps to failure) any more.  I've gotten biceps tendonitis a couple times, but nothing that keeps me sidelined for too long.  My shoulders and joints can't take the stress like they used to, and I'm not trying to win a lifting competition.  Now I go for about 10-12 reps, focusing on form, with a minute between sets, which really gets the heart rate up.  I still build and maintain pretty good muscle mass, and look and feel better than I have since my early 30s.  Your mom has noticed the results. 

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Try EMOM (Every Minute, on the Minute.)  Set you timer to chime on the minute, and bang out as many reps as you can.  You'll get some cardio out of it.

Thanks I'll look it up and give it a shot. I'm currently loving my routine in the gym. It's a nice change up on the variations I have been doing in the weight room since I was ~ 15. My goal is to get in and out quicker so that I can fit it into my agenda more often. I am able to go most days during the week around lunch and I'm out in 30 minutes or so. I basically focus on one muscle group instead of trying to do 2-3 on the same day. I count to 20 in between sets but it's probably more like 30 seconds. Other than the first set I basically go to failure, which is usually 8-10 reps. I change the exercises up to the extent possible but it's hard because certain exercises stress my joints so it's usually more like I have a rotation of 8 or so from which I'll pick 5 on any given day. 

D1 - Chest. 5 exercises, 5 sets each

D2 - Legs. 4-5 exercises, 5 sets each.

D3 - Core. 5 exercises, 5 sets each. 

D4 - Triceps. 5 exercises, 5 sets each. 

D5 - Biceps. 4 exercises, 5 sets each. 

That plus the daily cardio (I do 30 minutes of straight pedaling with decent resistance and then a 15 minute HIIT session that is difficult) and I should be in great shape soon if I'm not already! As soon as I stop eating pizza and drinking booze. :(

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I'm 43, and right around 40 I realized that I just can't go "heavy" (for me, that was 4-5 reps to failure) any more.  I've gotten biceps tendonitis a couple times, but nothing that keeps me sidelined for too long.  My shoulders and joints can't take the stress like they used to, and I'm not trying to win a lifting competition.  Now I go for about 10-12 reps, focusing on form, with a minute between sets, which really gets the heart rate up.  I still build and maintain pretty good muscle mass, and look and feel better than I have since my early 30s.  Your mom has noticed the results. 

Your ma felt my muscle mass inside her last night

• Like 1

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

Perfect example. I have bad knees since HS, one that I've had reconstructed (ACL/MCL). And like a dumbass I tagged along with some friends to run the Chicago Marathon 15 years ago or so. That was a bad move and now that I'm older I feel the repurcussions sometimes. Today was leg day at the gym. I had a little bit of pain in my left knee for some unknown reason (it's humid here today so maybe that's it, though that has never seemed to trigger it before). But no big deal, I thought. I had to quit on the squat rack (Smith machine) 2 sets in. Too painful. I tried the leg press. Same thing. I wasn't going to try the quad extensions. I moved to some machines and did one legged exercises like a cripple. I mean why? I'm sitting here at my desk on the computer and it still hurts. WTF. 

4 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Perfect example. I have bad knees since HS, one that I've had reconstructed (ACL/MCL). And like a dumbass I tagged along with some friends to run the Chicago Marathon 15 years ago or so. That was a bad move and now that I'm older I feel the repurcussions sometimes. Today was leg day at the gym. I had a little bit of pain in my left knee for some unknown reason (it's humid here today so maybe that's it, though that has never seemed to trigger it before). But no big deal, I thought. I had to quit on the squat rack (Smith machine) 2 sets in. Too painful. I tried the leg press. Same thing. I wasn't going to try the quad extensions. I moved to some machines and did one legged exercises like a cripple. I mean why? I'm sitting here at my desk on the computer and it still hurts. WTF. 

Well, sounds like you're a pussy.  Can't help you there.

Get you one of those big ziplock bags.  Add 2 trays of ice, a tablespoon of table salt and enough water to make the mix "juicy."  Prop your leg up, set the bag on your knee, and wrap the whole works with saran wrap.  Then duct tape around both edges.  It'll change your life.

for workout ideas, check out the athlean-x channel on youtube. never heard or read a bad review of the guy, and he pretty much posts everything you could ever need or want for free. changed my gym life/routine. 

Well something about dad bod, beer, pizza, no visible abs, and 13% bf isn't adding up 

Happy with my dad bod at ~13%BF...see defined 6 pack abs again 1 last time, but struggling to find the motivation between kids, wife, job and mid 30s...pizza is good. Beer is better.

Devil is in the details my man. Who said no viable abs? I’d like to go from flat stomach no love handles 4 pack to solid definition of the lower abs and obliques, but struggle to find the motivation as a happily married father. Probably should have said happy with my body as a 34 year old Dad

6-3 174.2 as of this morning. “Smart” bathroom scale says 13.4% (I know inaccurate) US Army formula says 12%. Definitely closer to 10 than 20 by eyeball method.

As far as beer and pizza the last time Swayze saw me I’d been knocking out 15000-25000 yards weekly in the pool/lake for over a year. That affords a person some dietary liberties. Now, I’m lucky if I get 5000 in a week. Going to have to eat a little cleaner if I want to move off maintenance.

FTR - I’ve always been a “if it fits your macros & Calories-in less than or equal to calories out”

Is this where we challenge each other to bench press videos?

• Like 1

^
Sure. Could of said lean and mean. No one ever says lean and mean. Always beanpole and lanky.

I miss nutrition and workout arguments between JM - BJJ Pro and JY Crossfit-boy

Haha, well, I didn’t call you stretch.

They are both still there. JM and I usually exchange injury stories. Most recently my fractured thumb at bjj.

45 years old, visible six pack, alternate between running, mountain biking, and gym.  I have no routine, I just do shit almost every day.  A beer or two every night, pizza and Mexican food at least once a week, ice cream 3 times a week, coke and a candy bar once a week or so as a snack... Blood sugar and cholesterol numbers all normal.  Hard work works.  Fuck a bunch of fasting and not eating delicious stuff.  

2 hours ago, Chuychanga said:

45 years old, visible six pack, alternate between running, mountain biking, and gym.  I have no routine, I just do shit almost every day.  A beer or two every night, pizza and Mexican food at least once a week, ice cream 3 times a week, coke and a candy bar once a week or so as a snack... Blood sugar and cholesterol numbers all normal.  Hard work works.  Fuck a bunch of fasting and not eating delicious stuff.  

But are you truly happy?

On 5/10/2018 at 9:46 AM, Chuychanga said:

Hard work works.  Fuck a bunch of fasting and not eating delicious stuff.  

Agree whole heartedly, but maintainig is one thing; dropping 125 pounds gained through prior indulgences is another. My goal is to get to my preferred weight ASAP. Then I’ll figure what combination of food/drink pleasure and exercise is required to keep me there. 

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Agree whole heartedly, but maintainig is one thing; dropping 125 pounds gained through prior indulgences is another. My goal is to get to my preferred weight ASAP. Then I’ll figure what combination of food/drink pleasure and exercise is required to keep me there. 
Bernard
You have a thread for fasting keto. Go there and leave us alone.

On 5/10/2018 at 9:46 AM, Chuychanga said:

Nice. How many gym days and running miles per week you averaging?

2 hours ago, Parliament said:
6 hours ago, Bernard said:
Bernard

No. 

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Parliament said:
7 hours ago, Bernard said:
Bernard

We're here to help. You're ruining your health and we can't just stand by and watch.