HOF Game: Cowboys vs Steelers!

hundredTT

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Should never have made it into TC.  The Cowboys backup QB situation is embarrassing.  They all are terrible.  Jerrah better hope Dak heals up.

Bortles is out there, but is it really worth bringing him in over GG? I sure as fuck don’t think so

I too am amazed that DiNucci is in the NFL. Watched him in high school at Pine Richland and he was a very good high school QB on a very very good team.  At Pitt he was not good and transferred down a level.  There is some family connection with McCarthy from back a few years I think someone up here said

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Yep. Rush has been there since 2017. He should be better than this. Squints is a bit better than Rush. I mean there aren’t really a ton of good options F/A wise but shit…most of the teams have pretty good ones. It is like we slept on that.

Cowboys used to have really solid backups. Kitna and Orton. Guys who used to be starters and know the game. The guys we have now are so far below them. I am not even a fan of Dalton but he is better than what we have now. Gilbert at least has a pulse at times. And is competent. Cooper and DiNucci are dogshit. No idea how Cooper and DiNiucci is still on this team. Especially DiNucci with his Eagles game debacle last year.

I don’t think Meyer puts Minshew on the market but they also have CJ Beathard on the team…the real smart teams have a Colt McCoy or a Chase Daniel or a Bridgewater no or a case Keenum  etc… like guys who can win and also have experience and can help mentor younger QBs that were drafted to be starters. I thought Sanchez was a pretty decent mentor…but these guys can’t even score points when it matters. Uggh…

Dalton came in without ever having memorized a single Dallas offensive play, and did "almost okay".  
I hate that he thought he was coming to Dallas to take a vacation.

Squints came in last year and had maybe 2 days with the playbook and looked infinitely better than the Nooch. Every snap Nooch takes just makes me sad to be a Cowboys fan.
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Cuts should provide a better QB option.  Gilbert is what he is..... a Hail Mary in the middle of the season.  

I’d be curious to see who you might be referring to. A guy like nick foles? He’s going straight to Indy if he gets cut. Who else? What qb better than Bortles is going to get cut? All the others are locked and loaded backups for their teams. I think Bortles is going to be the best option you have, and I just don’t think that’s worth it.

18 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Put a trade together for Case Keenum.

Lol we’re not trading for a backup. That’s ridiculous 

12 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’d be curious to see who you might be referring to. A guy like nick foles? He’s going straight to Indy if he gets cut. Who else? What qb better than Bortles is going to get cut? All the others are locked and loaded backups for their teams. I think Bortles is going to be the best option you have, and I just don’t think that’s worth it.

Lol we’re not trading for a backup. That’s ridiculous 

Would I prefer Bortles more than Squints?  Absolutely dependent on cost and I doubt Blake is weighing big money deals in his garage.  Gilbert is terrible.  Same shit, he can't read defenses, is a two progression guy and holds the ball too long.  His best attribute is still Nebraska.... he can run a little but as a QB, he's better left to be 3rd string or called if a debacle happens.  So yes, I'd rather have Bortles, all things equal, a guy who has 28 more TDs than Ints in his career and over 100 starts.  Is he good?  Nah, but he's better than what we got.  

Other QBs who are available or may be:  Matt Moore (I'd call him as soon as I got on the team plane).  Why didn't we call Matt Barkley?  Ryan Griffin may be cut, same with Blaine Gabbert, or Brian Hoyer, or Jake Fromm, or Nate Sudfeld, or Nick Mullens.  These are all guys I'd contact and possibly bring in if/when they get cut and get them in the QB room quickly to see if they can make it better.  Cooper Rush or DiNucci don't belong on a NFL roster.  All of those guys are probably better than Squints but at least they come in and see if Gilbert can earn it.  Moore makes major sense and I'd go sign him now if he wants to play.

25 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Would I prefer Bortles more than Squints?  Absolutely dependent on cost and I doubt Blake is weighing big money deals in his garage.  Gilbert is terrible.  Same shit, he can't read defenses, is a two progression guy and holds the ball too long.  His best attribute is still Nebraska.... he can run a little but as a QB, he's better left to be 3rd string or called if a debacle happens.  So yes, I'd rather have Bortles, all things equal, a guy who has 28 more TDs than Ints in his career and over 100 starts.  Is he good?  Nah, but he's better than what we got.  

Other QBs who are available or may be:  Matt Moore (I'd call him as soon as I got on the team plane).  Why didn't we call Matt Barkley?  Ryan Griffin may be cut, same with Blaine Gabbert, or Brian Hoyer, or Jake Fromm, or Nate Sudfeld, or Nick Mullens.  These are all guys I'd contact and possibly bring in if/when they get cut and get them in the QB room quickly to see if they can make it better.  Cooper Rush or DiNucci don't belong on a NFL roster.  All of those guys are probably better than Squints but at least they come in and see if Gilbert can earn it.  Moore makes major sense and I'd go sign him now if he wants to play.

I understand that you get what you pay for, but you’re paying GG pennies. You’d have to pay a legitimate backup. Before last year Dak never missed a start. Our roster is bad (in my opinion) if Dak goes down, it doesn’t matter if you have GG or nick mullens. You’re still going to be a 7-10 team regardless. We have to save money somewhere. Might as well be at a position that won’t ever play if we have any chance at being a decent football team. I bet where you’re coming from, but I just don’t think it’s worth it.

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I understand that you get what you pay for, but you’re paying GG pennies. You’d have to pay a legitimate backup. Before last year Dak never missed a start. Our roster is bad (in my opinion) if Dak goes down, it doesn’t matter if you have GG or nick mullens. You’re still going to be a 7-10 team regardless. We have to save money somewhere. Might as well be at a position that won’t ever play if we have any chance at being a decent football team. I bet where you’re coming from, but I just don’t think it’s worth it.

Most of those guys are vet minimums or very close too.  Except for maybe Bortles (and I have my doubts he'd be pricey), these are cheap options.  I'm not advocating trading for a Foles (BTW, doubt he goes to Indy) or a Mariota.  Just get a real backup QB in the QB room, even if it's just to help with film study for Dak or game planning with the O staff or giving the D a real look on game weeks.  There are tons of things a backup QB actually does and these guys, IMO, are better values or provide more benefit to the team/franchise then guys in the current QB room.  What does DiNucci offer?  Potential?  None.  What does Rush offer?  Some familiarity with the system?  Sure, but he's still bad at running it.  Squints?  He's got a SB ring to show off.  Standing pat at a position of such weakness because it's hard or because our HC knows a guy who knows a kid, is so Jerrah Cowboys.....