Personal phone and work question

Alright IT dudes, I need an answer. I feel like I know, but need to double check.

I work for a company that requires me to use PingID on my personal phone to authenticate my VPN access (called F5 VPN Client) on a company laptop. Can they monitor what I am looking at on my phone?

I would think not as PingID is just for authenticating, right?

My understanding is you should be good. I'm sure there will be much more qualified people here shortly to confirm. UT Austin uses Duo for the same purpose for anything requiring EID sign in. If on iOs just lock down all of the app permissions other than notifications.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Company wants employees to carry an electronic key to unlock access to their computer system, they should provide the electronic key (business cell phone, RFID card, whatever).  I never understood how it became acceptable for businesses to abuse employee personal time/life. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

This is stuff I should be smarter about than I am. What the other guys said about how the company should provide or reimburse the device are correct, but I suspect that is besides the point. If it's just a mobile multi factor authentication token (open the token, put in the digits on your laptop, it allows you to connect), I wouldn't worry about it (also, keychain tokens exist but i bet your company doesn't want to deal with the hassle). If your phone is joining the VPN I would be concerned about what traffic they might inspect. If they wanted to install something that imaged or managed my phone I would tell them no.

Another issue with using your personal phone for work is that if a lawsuit asks for any relevant communication between employees, you'll have to surrender your phone and all contents for review.  Maybe you get it back in a week or a month.  However, all your kink photos are now part of the case record.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

If your employer requires you to use your phone for work, they should be providing you a phone or at least reimbursing you the cost of your plan.

If they reimburse, doesn't that sort of give them access to your phone info ?  I'll pay for my phone, and you have no access to it, and I'll write off the deduction on my itemized taxes.

This is stuff I should be smarter about than I am. What the other guys said about how the company should provide or reimburse the device are correct, but I suspect that is besides the point. If it's just a mobile multi factor authentication token (open the token, put in the digits on your laptop, it allows you to connect), I wouldn't worry about it (also, keychain tokens exist but i bet your company doesn't want to deal with the hassle). If your phone is joining the VPN I would be concerned about what traffic they might inspect. If they wanted to install something that imaged or managed my phone I would tell them no.

This was my point/question. I am not really using my phone for calls or Teams often and when I do, it’s over Wi-Fi. I do not have a VON client on my phone. It is on the company laptop. My understanding is this PingID is just for authentication. I suppose I can ask the IT guy.

If it's not a company (funded) device, then how would you be liable?

I mean if it's during work hours, you probably are fucking up somewhere else too...

Edited by slorch

if android expect it to be leaking/sucking up data from everything.  that's simply how android works. 

if you're not cool with that, get a burner worker.  don't even bother putting it on a plan, just use it on wifi (hotspot from your personal phone if out in the field). 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just a bit of a follow up.  I read on the PingID site that they do in fact have the capability to track your location.  I don't know if your (or my) company is using this function, but it is an option.  I do doubt they can see your texts, emails or browsing.  I plan on talking to our IT guy next week.  I might end up getting a company phone to do my authentication.

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Just a bit of a follow up.  I read on the PingID site that they do in fact have the capability to track your location.  

I’m gonna save everyone time and money and let them know you’ll either be in a bbq joint or out in the Katy area on a road infested with snek. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 8:34 AM, bernorange said:

Company wants employees to carry an electronic key to unlock access to their computer system, they should provide the electronic key (business cell phone, RFID card, whatever).  I never understood how it became acceptable for businesses to abuse employee personal time/life. 

This is what my company does.   I have a card but prefer the to receive the temp authentication numbers via text on my phone.  The key word is text.  There are no apps or two way communications they can monitor.