World's Best Cities

FunkSoulBrother

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, I've always heard that about Chicago and have never made my way there.  I think New Orleans is one of the friendliest big cities I've frequented.

Yep, but NO doesn't have a big city feel like Chicago.  I was always surprised at the open, and pretty friendly attitude of most people I encountered.  As long as you don't say you're a White Sox or Packers fan it's all good.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

NYC, especially Manhattan, was probably the safest large city in the world prior to COVID.  Yes, crime is up, but NYC is still safer than the other major cities in the US (LA, Chicago, and Houston).

Lulz, this statement is absurd. There entire, massive cities like Tokyo, Singapore, and Seoul where violent crime just doesn’t happen- to anyone.  No need for qualifiers either, like “stay in the nice part.” And that’s measuring just the statistics. I visit regularly, have family who work in Manhattan, and the “energy” of getting accosted by aggressive panhandlers or screamed at by bums is also degrees worse in NYC than globally and has gotten progressively worse since shortly post 9/11.

All the other cities got a nice post COVID deep clean boost, too. The transport system from infrastructure to ease of use to cleanliness is miserable. The Moscow metro— which serves more riders and is the busiest in Europe— puts it to shame in literally every way from rolling stock cleanliness to efficiency, let alone the Space Age systems you see in east Asia. And in a lot of places, you don’t even have turnstiles to jump. Conductors do random checks and quietly write tickets as enforcement, with no screaming, chases, or profanity. Try that on the D train. 

No argument that NYC is safer and has better infrastructure than Houston or Dallas but we’re not ranking that here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Lulz, this statement is absurd. There entire, massive cities like Tokyo, Singapore, and Seoul where violent crime just doesn’t happen- to anyone.  No need for qualifiers either, like “stay in the nice part.” And that’s measuring just the statistics. I visit regularly, have family who work in Manhattan, and the “energy” of getting accosted by aggressive panhandlers or screamed at by bums is also degrees worse in NYC than globally and has gotten progressively worse since shortly post 9/11.

All the other cities got a nice post COVID deep clean boost, too. The transport system from infrastructure to ease of use to cleanliness is miserable. The Moscow metro— which serves more riders and is the busiest in Europe— puts it to shame in literally every way from rolling stock cleanliness to efficiency, let alone the Space Age systems you see in east Asia. And in a lot of places, you don’t even have turnstiles to jump. Conductors do random checks and quietly write tickets as enforcement, with no screaming, chases, or profanity. Try that on the D train. 

No argument that NYC is safer and has better infrastructure than Houston or Dallas but we’re not ranking that here. 

Yeah, I am going to disagree with you on the violent crime in Tokyo considering I have a friend who was drugged in Tokyo and only didn't have something worse happen by sheer luck.  And he is not the only one I have heard that that happened to.  

Yeah, NY has not invested in the metro.  And that can be blamed on Albany who controls the MTA (the city does not.  It is singularly fucked up).

On 9/20/2021 at 9:35 PM, ztejas said:

Was this the Russian and French coalition's list of the year? 

Never been to Paris or Moscow but pretty fucking sure there's 20 or so cities in America I'd live in before I set foot in Russia. 

On 9/20/2021 at 9:41 PM, ztejas said:

And honestly, not sure what the criteria is. If it's tourism based - Austin is by far #1 in Texas. If it's quality of life, like I said, how the fuck are Paris and Moscow in the top 5?

I-think-hmm-GIF.gif

• Like 1

New York City is amazing and the people are what they are... they'll never change but overall, and maybe I've just been lucky, but I've found most are fine... except on the street... but otherwise people are generally cool and they'll shoot you straight which I appreciate.  I miss NYC.  That was my last business trip.

• Like 1

Have not had any issues with NYers, always willing to help with subway questions, walking directions.  The only thing is get the fuck out of the way of walkers and lord help you if you stop in middle of the sidewalk to gawk at a tall building or check your app/map to see where you are.   The rudest person I've met and he wasn't really all that rude, just upfront, was a Toll Booth operator.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Agreed. But the open air heroin den is growing and homelessness is an issue (this is in every west coast city so not unique). Vancouver is the prettiest city in North America.  

My uncle, who traveled around the world for the better part of 30 years for work,  told me that Vancouver is his favorite place. He’s probably spent time in 75% of the cities on the list.

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Agreed. But the open air heroin den is growing and homelessness is an issue (this is in every west coast city so not unique). Vancouver is the prettiest city in North America.  

Agree on the homeless situation but still a gorgeous place with so much to offer,  both in the city and on the outskirts.

• Hook 'Em 1

With apologies to [mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention], anyone who wants Houston can have it.

Lulz. Houston is too high. And not in the good way.

Fascinating they put São Paulo at 38. I mean, the immigrant nature of the city (like Houston) is awesome. Food and culture is great, but outside of a few really nice neighborhoods, I’d rather be in a few other mid sized Brazilian cities.
  • Like 1