San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling

Mitch Cumsteen

You can go after IT literally every fucking possession. He was one of the worst defenders in the league when he was actually good but now he is basically unplayable he's so bad on that end. Dude needs to go play overseas. He is not an NBA level player and never will be again.

• Haha 1

Isaiah Thomas just got taken to the block again by another 6'3" combo guard.

KBD with the first 30 point game for any Spur this year. 

DJM with 13 dimes and zero turns. 

Most points in regulation against LA this year (Sac had 141 in 3OT).

Best of all: Brynn Forbes with 0 mins played. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Holy shit we dropped 144 on the Pistons? 

5 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Is Landale really a gem or is it just garbage time stat inflation?

I didn't watch tonight but he's got some nice upside - especially on O. Probably isn't as good as his box score was tonight. 

9 hours ago, Llogg said:

Not just tonight. His box scores have been good for two weeks -- 16/30 FG and 5/8 3P over that time in limited minutes. I just don't have the context to really judge how good a job the numbers do of describing his value.

He’s not Drew Eubanks, and there’s plenty of value in that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Llogg said:

I haven't been watching many games recently. Is Landale really a gem or is it just garbage time stat inflation?

Offensively, dude is easily the best big man on the roster. He can hit the three, and rolls with authority. Also sets some physical picks. He’s not as athletic, so he really has to box out on rebounds or he’s losing the rebound. Defensively, he’s learning. He gets lost a lot and is a half second late on adjusting to drives. Probably won’t be a shot blocking center. The offense moves fast as hell when he’s on the court and his presence alone has opened the lane for our guards to attack. When Drew and Joc are on the floor, shit gets bogged down as everyone knows. It’s most definitely not garbage time stat inflation. He’s getting serious minutes as the first big off the bench, and has relegated Drew to garbage time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

Offensively, dude is easily the best big man on the roster. He can hit the three, and rolls with authority. Also sets some physical picks. He’s not as athletic, so he really has to box out on rebounds or he’s losing the rebound. Defensively, he’s learning. He gets lost a lot and is a half second late on adjusting to drives. Probably won’t be a shot blocking center. The offense moves fast as hell when he’s on the court and his presence alone has opened the lane for our guards to attack. When Drew and Joc are on the floor, shit gets bogged down as everyone knows. It’s most definitely not garbage time stat inflation. He’s getting serious minutes as the first big off the bench, and has relegated Drew to garbage time. 

I agree with all of this. He's also a plus passer and has a pretty good basketball iq. He's just not going to ever be much of a physical inside presence on defense, which is fine because the league has become so perimeter oriented, anyway. He's pretty much an ideal backup big for the modern NBA and a great change up from  Poetl because they have such opposite skillsets.

Last night was a perfect example of a game that the Spurs had no shot at winning. Utah was dialed in defensively after the Spurs caught their attention a week or so back in SLC. The Jazz choked them out last night. Sure, not having Dejounte is big for the Spurs but Donovan Mitchell wasn't playing for Utah either. I know that a 6 point loss doesn't look like much but the score was much, much closer than the actual game. Utah dominated.

The road ahead is not pretty:
Tomorrow vs. Miami -- The Heat play the Wiz tonight so they will be on the second night of a back to back. Jimmy Butler is back but Lowry and Bam are out. The Spurs could win this one, but no Dejounte makes this one tough. The Heat are really good. Probable loss.
12/31 @ Memphis - loss
1/1 @ Pistons - if Detroit weren't the worst team in the league and decimated by injury/covid, this would seem like a schedule loss but Spurs will need this one. Win.
1/4 @ Toronto - likely loss
1/5 @ Boston - 4th game in 6 nights, back to back, plus Boston has revenge and will be on two days rest. Loss.
1/7 @ Philly - loss

1/9 @ Nets - loss
1/10 @ Knick - that's a brutal end to a road trip. 7th game in 11 nights and a back to back. - loss

Maybe they catch a team or two sleeping, but I think they would be fortunate to win more than 2 games during that stretch.

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The road ahead is not pretty:
Tomorrow vs. Miami -- The Heat play the Wiz tonight so they will be on the second night of a back to back. Jimmy Butler is back but Lowry and Bam are out. The Spurs could win this one, but no Dejounte makes this one tough. The Heat are really good. Probable loss.
12/31 @ Memphis - loss
1/1 @ Pistons - if Detroit weren't the worst team in the league and decimated by injury/covid, this would seem like a schedule loss but Spurs will need this one. Win.
1/4 @ Toronto - likely loss
1/5 @ Boston - 4th game in 6 nights, back to back, plus Boston has revenge and will be on two days rest. Loss.
1/7 @ Philly - loss

1/9 @ Nets - loss
1/10 @ Knick - that's a brutal end to a road trip. 7th game in 11 nights and a back to back. - loss

Are you assuming DJ is out for that entire stretch? Even if he is - I'm not pencilling in all those losses. We can beat Memphis in Memphis - same with Toronto in Toronto. Boston is tricky because of the b2b but they just aren't very good. I could see us beating Philly. Those last two would definitely take some gumption.

I think we go 3-5. 

@kingkoopa6 nah I think that's a decent comp. JL is a bit longer and can hit from 3 and isn't as smooth with it as Lee was but that's probably the type of player that might serve as his ceiling. 

Edited by ztejas

13 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Good for Becky. I hope she kicks ass. 

Good for her, but it probably kills any chance of coaching a men's team unless it's the Spurs.  Sorta sucks but I get it, she can't wait around forever and she's getting the biggest contract for a WNBA coach ever.  Congrats, Becky.

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Poeltl's awesome. I won't tolerate this slander. Be mad at DJ for getting the Vid. 

No dude, he’s not. I get that he’s improved tenuously on the defensive side, but he still has issues (ISSUES) on the offensive side. Dude can’t set a pick without getting whistled for a foul after four years now? I’ve never seen a player regress on the block like he has. Dude looks like a pedophile meeting Chris Hanson whenever he actually gets the ball in the low block. God help us if he actually has to shoot. He’s got this stupid fucking push shot that miraculously goes in half the time, but you can’t make a fucking free-throw? Ever? He misses open cutters, and benefits tremendously from playing with DJ, but you can say that about most of the players on the team. AND HE STILL REFUSES TO DUNK THE GODDAMN BALL. 

And it’s libel. Anyways, Happy New Year. 

• Mitch Cumsteen changed the title to San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling