School Bombing: 44 Dead

El Diablo

On May 18, 1927—91 years ago today--America's deadliest school attack occurred as part of a schoolhouse in Bath Township, Mich., was blown up with explosives planted by local farmer Andrew Kehoe, who then set off a bomb in his truck; the attacks killed 38 children and six adults, including Kehoe, who'd earlier killed his wife. She was found tied to a handcart with her skull crushed. He also set his property and buildings on fire before heading to the school. Authorities said Kehoe, who suffered financial difficulties, was seeking revenge for losing a township clerk election.

Makes me wonder about a number of things. What the national press was like at the time of the story and how the story was handled, primarily. I also wonder if there was any outcry for more school security or restricting access to explosives.

91 years is a long time ago I guess, my mom was just a baby then.

With regard to reactionary governance and regulations; the goal of safety/ security is more often than not, trumped by the available poltical capital to be gleaned, regardless of how illogical it is.

11 minutes ago, slorch said:

With regard to reactionary governance and regulations; the goal of safety/ security is more often than not, trumped by the available poltical capital to be gleaned, regardless of how illogical it is.

I'm fairly certain that I agree with you . . . I think.

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Like with the NRA and their bought pals on Capitol Hill? Their block of voters absolutely love the stand they've taken for their gun rights.

3 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Might wanna put a year in the thread title before people pack up their kids and leave town. 

It's a tragic day in school safety and I had no idea what was to come when I started the thread. Makes me wonder if today will also just be a footnote in the history books some distant day.

28 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Yes we do!

It's an interesting situation. It's a very real possibility that Americans gun rights could be drastically altered by people who don't even own guns. Intransigence on the matter may get one side of the discussion left looking on. If not sooner, then later it could happen.

We're seeing a second generation of kids raised seeing their schoolmates shot and killed at a tremendously high rate. The introduction of crack cocaine in the early 80's accelerated what had begun with powdered cocaine in the gang wars for turf and power. More recently the ready availability of weaponry once reserved for the military has reared its head in a way not foreseen.

Good luck.

8 hours ago, El Diablo said:

On May 18, 1927—91 years ago today--America's deadliest school attack occurred as part of a schoolhouse in Bath Township, Mich., was blown up with explosives planted by local farmer Andrew Kehoe, who then set off a bomb in his truck; the attacks killed 38 children and six adults, including Kehoe, who'd earlier killed his wife. She was found tied to a handcart with her skull crushed. He also set his property and buildings on fire before heading to the school. Authorities said Kehoe, who suffered financial difficulties, was seeking revenge for losing a township clerk election.

Makes me wonder about a number of things. What the national press was like at the time of the story and how the story was handled, primarily. I also wonder if there was any outcry for more school security or restricting access to explosives.

91 years is a long time ago I guess, my mom was just a baby then.

Yep, 91 years is a long time ago.  And while outcry may have occurred in May 1927, perhaps by the time May 1930 rolled around with 0 school bombings in between, they'd figured out that school bombings weren't a common occurrence so legislation didn't need to be tailored for it.  That's really comparable to an event that occurs with regularity.  Next time, maybe we'll see the link of some guy in China killing a bunch of people with a knife 20 years ago again with a "do we ban knives too" subject line. Meanwhile, your weapon of choice is being used to commit mass murder on a monthly basis. "Its the same!"

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

That's one way to look at something. Was Columbine the first of its type? Was there any discussion immediately afterward? Or was it remembered 3 years later?

It was not the first of its type. Only the year before you had similar, but less deadly, shootings in Oregon, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Mississippi with 4, 3, 5, and 3 dead.  One of those, Arkansas, had a fire alarm pull to draw kids out just like the last 2. 20 years later and the only thing we have done is give the killers access to better guns. I mean really, is anyone going to remember Santa Fe except the victims parents?  10 dead, but this is Parklands year to be remembered, isn't it?  Thats how commonplace this bullshit is.  You had no clue about the Arkansas middle school shooting the year before Columbine, did you?

So when we can talk about the last mass shooting in a school being 91 years, or even 5 years in the past, we can maybe say we've done the best we can to prevent them.

We should make it illegal for kids to possess a gun, without proper licensing/ training.  See also:  drivers license.

We know kids are generally shitty drivers but just charge them a higher premium for the permission to be on the road legally.