NFL Week 13

shadow_operative2.0

I mean gotdam...you make millions of dollars as a QB in the NFL and he has his stocking cap all cockeyed/ halfassed pulled over his head.

Dude, you're not in the Ville any more...

Anybody else see the defensive blocking below the waist call late in the Pittsburgh Baltimore game? Am I the only one I thought it was a legal play even with the current rules, and one hell of a football play to blow up the blocker and knockdown the ball carrier, regardless of era?

yes the blocker toppled head over heels, but the defender initiated contact in the midsection at the waist.  I don’t like the call at all. Glad I didn’t care who won the game, but I still want the refs to get it right. I felt like the defender got ripped off after making a great play

Edited by slorch

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

Anybody else see the defensive blocking below the waist call late in the Pittsburgh Baltimore game? Am I the only one I thought it was a legal play even with the current rules, and one hell of a football play to blow up the blocker and knockdown the ball carrier, regardless of era?

yes the blocker toppled head over heels, but the defender initiated contact in the midsection at the waist.  I don’t like the call at all. Glad I didn’t care who won the game, but I still want the refs to get it right. I felt like the defender got ripped off after making a great play

Skins TE Logan Thomas was lost for the year with torn ACL and MCL on a low hit by Las Vegas defensive end Yannick Ngakoue.  While technically legal because it occurred between the tackles, it had all of the looks of a cheap shot.

How does the NFL legislate safety based on the location on the field?

I agree with your point, especially on that hit on Thomas. The chop block rule addresses some of that, if you’re already engaged with another blocker; but to your point it doesn’t really address straight up blocks.

I also tend to lean towards a player being able to defend themselves on a one on one block.  

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, slorch said:

I agree with your point, especially on that hit on Thomas. The chop block rule addresses some of that, if you’re already engaged with another blocker; but to your point it doesn’t really address straight up blocks.

I also tend to lean towards a player being able to defend themselves on a one on one block.  

To your original post, a LV DB drew a 15 yard penalty for undercutting a pulling G (in which the DB took out both the G and RB).  Great play .. but, against the new rule put in place this season.

To your second point, I can’t grasp the notion of a DL diving into a TE’s knees in self defense.  Within the rules, but questionable at best.

21 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

To your original post, a LV DB drew a 15 yard penalty for undercutting a pulling G (in which the DB took out both the G and RB).  Great play .. but, against the new rule put in place this season.

To your second point, I can’t grasp the notion of a DL diving into a TE’s knees in self defense.  Within the rules, but questionable at best.

I was arguing, and still contend, that the Ravens DB initiated contact legally.  The effect looked illegal, but it was a legal play, IMHO.  It’s getting where some of these calls need to be reviewed just like targeting.  Pain in the ass, yes; but calls like that change entire possessions.

So Belichick. Buffalo with 57 offensive snaps and he waits until the final one to max blitz with the game on the line. Watching that last offensive play of the Bills and I saw that massive opening in the secondary w/o any safety help and I thought "what in the hell is he doing?"  Like pretty much always, Belichick knew exactly what he was doing.

Patriots have given up 15 total points in the 2H of the last five games they've played.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll be on the Pats in the rematch in a couple weeks.  

Idiot.

"Let's not give more credit than we need to give credit to Bill Belichick in this one," Sean McDermott said after the loss. "Whether it's Bill or anybody else -- they beat us, right? You sit here and you tell me when we start with an average starting field position at the 40-yard line and he starts at the 23-yard line -- and I'm rounding up in both cases -- and we were 1 for 4 in the red zone, and they were 0 for 1 in the red zone? You give me that ahead of time then I like my chances. I like my chances. So, with all due respect, it's not a Bill Belichick-type thing. It's what are you doing with the opportunities you got? What are you doing with the opportunities you got? We turned the ball over at the plus 30-something yard line. It's sloppy football. It's sloppy football. So, I'm very comfortable in that situation."