up to 10 dead from tornadoes in Kentuck,missouri, and arkansas

Gidnik

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Here's the latest tornado chart (no idea why Hate posted a chart only showing tornado activity through 2010):

image.png.e23a7a4681fa0e674c0a9854e8192a8b.png

Looks a bit different, huh? Almost like there's a marked increase from the 1950s and 1960s?

As for the North Atlantic basin hurricane chart, well that stops at 2018. I wonder what things have been like in the North Atlantic basin the past few seasons? Oh, 2020 set the record for most named storms? Well it wasn't all bad, at least it gave us sports gambling in Louisiana. And as for AEI's strong tornado chart, they literally changed the methodology for measuring tornados in 2007 so it's extremely misleading to compare pre-2007 to post-2007. 

Maybe don't start your debunking research on right wing sites, guys.

I really wish there was a trend line superimposed on that graph. Because eye-balling to me seems a trend line would have a positive slope.

22 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

These factors have close to no effect on the climate change we are experiencing over the span of the last few hundred years. These factors influence the climate over time spans much greater than the rate of changes we are experiencing now. The human effects on climate change completely override any changes caused by these factors.

You are repeating denialism talking points.

Please understand, I am not attacking you, I am pointing out common misconceptions about climate science and climate change. Misconceptions which are often deliberately exploited by deniers.

I dont think what I've said is different or contradictory to the factors that you point out that humans are doing to accelerate climate change. I'm just looking at a more macro perspective. The activities we are doing is an accelerant to the overall change that will happen and we need to heed the scientists warnings and do what we can to slow it down. But we are but one factor to the inevitable change and we don't have overall control of this spinning rock we call home. 

imo, Hate is the sort who is reluctant to deal with policies that may hurt in the short term for better long term effects. He wants to eat his steaks without feeling guilty about  the deforestation that raising cattle causes. I get that, but I will not call him a fool or hypocritically lambast him for his steak eating ways when I love them too. He just doesn't like the uncomfortable truth of how we are fucking ourselves. Okay, some people do like to confront that more proactively. 

I approached him with the macro perspective to get him to see that climate is a factor, even if these rare weather events have occurred before, probably before recorded history. The ferocity and duration of this event provides new information to study and will hopefully help us understand what if anything we can do to reduce its occurrence. He is not a denier, he is a reluctant acceptor.  At least from what I observed in this thread.

I like that many smart people have hope that we can adopt changes in time to help effect longterm change, and I would bet Hate does too. I dont think he wishes to stand in the way of that progress but does want to grouse about the attitudes that some folks have who are more accepting of hard truths. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Biden is on the ground in Kentucky, hugging and loving on the locals. Does anybody know why he’s not throwing them rolls of paper towels? What’s wrong with him?

Because of supply chain issues (ducks)?  

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

South Bend based brother says tonight has potential for another major storm event. What’s the word?

Nasty storm line in Nebraska heading into Iowa currently.  Tornado warnings running across the entire squall line that looks to extend a few hundred miles.  Storm moving 100 mph?!?

South Bend based brother says tonight has potential for another major storm event. What’s the word?

I’m not sure. It kind of looks like it is running out of steam from a tornadic event. It may be a derecho which can cause quite a bit a damage as well.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was honestly starting to think that maybe, despite all the overwhelming scientific evidence that weighs on us like a fully loaded semi truck, are we just attempting to explain away severe weather like the ancients did with "Hyperion, the God of the Sun", "Jeff, the God of Biscuits", and "Speedy, the God of High December Winds"??? 

I can see both client change denial and client change alarmists both being wrong here.  Are we just all trying to cram what we observe into what is happening with the tiny modicum of reason and research we have available to us in the grand scheme of universal knowledge?  

I get it, shit changes.  We're but a sliver in the course of time.  One of our drivers detached his trailer because of cross winds and drove the cab to safety in Missouri.  The trailer was last seen in Iowa having been blown about like a sailor at Melania Trump's bachelorette party.  We're in a trend, I get it.  No reason to change everything we've ever known.  But we had a 50,000 pound tare weight trailer blow across a state line.  Forgive me for temporarily giving a fuck about temporary weather that could have temporarily got some folks temporarily dead.  Forever.

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I was honestly starting to think that maybe, despite all the overwhelming scientific evidence that weighs on us like a fully loaded semi truck, are we just attempting to explain away severe weather like the ancients did with "Hyperion, the God of the Sun", "Jeff, the God of Biscuits", and "Speedy, the God of High December Winds"??? 

I can see both client change denial and client change alarmists both being wrong here.  Are we just all trying to cram what we observe into what is happening with the tiny modicum of reason and research we have available to us in the grand scheme of universal knowledge?  

I get it, shit changes.  We're but a sliver in the course of time.  One of our drivers detached his trailer because of cross winds and drove the cab to safety in Missouri.  The trailer was last seen in Iowa having been blown about like a sailor at Melania Trump's bachelorette party.  We're in a trend, I get it.  No reason to change everything we've ever known.  But we had a 50,000 pound tare weight trailer blow across a state line.  Forgive me for temporarily giving a fuck about temporary weather that could have temporarily got some folks temporarily dead.  Forever.

Forgot “Simon, the God of Hairdos”

Whatever, alarmist.  Everybody knows Saint Paul is the Capital of Tornado Alley at Christmas.  

Yes people, I realize Minnesota gets tornadoes.  Yes people, I realize tornadoes happen in December.  I think the NOAA point is simply noting that this one was a first in recorded one up there at this time of year.  Though yes, reliable tornado records only exist from about 1950 on.  But I can give a midwestern vouch that I heavily doubt there was one ever in December up there between 1930-1950.  Because old Minnesotans never stop talking about the weather.  Somebody would have mentioned it already.  

Edited by Lobo

107 mph winds are scary af. I know this because I was on a highway outside of Carson City in sustained wind that was considerably less than that, and it was scary af. No hail, just rain, and the left side of the suburban was dimpled all over by the force of wind blown water. Wife thought it was a tornado when it started. I idled around the trucks that were stopped on the road, trying to pass on the windward side. Crazy.

Edited to add the event lasted thirty minutes, or more. 

Edited by Willfully Horn
Explained