USMNT 2022

Napoleon

9 hours ago, shnsajax said:

I truly don’t understand why this tournament has anything to do with the 2024 Olympics? And did the Olympics move their format to U20 or is it still U23?

Each confederation gets to choose how teams qualify for international tournaments. 

CONCACAF obviously doesn’t feel like having two tournaments, so they are using one tournament to qualify for two different tournaments. 

So this tournament has everything to do with qualifying for the U20 World Cup next year and the 2024 Olympics. 

UEFA does something similar with their U19 Tournament. 

UEFA Women qualify for the Olympics due to how they finish in the World Cup, so two of the top 5 or 6 teams in the world didn’t go to the Olympics due to how they performed during their World Cup.

#Soccer

• Hook 'Em 1

Zack Steffen to Middlesbrough

https://www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-city-engman_city/story/4691972/usmntmanchester-city-goalkeeper-zack-steffen-close-to-joining-middlesbrough-on-loan-sources

United States men's national team and Manchester City goalkeeper Zack Steffen is expected to join English Championship side Middlesbrough on loan through the 2022-23 season, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Steffen, who signed with Manchester City from the Columbus Crew in 2019, spent the past two seasons as the primary backup to Ederson, keeping eight clean sheets in 21 appearances across all competitions. He has made just two appearances in the Premier League.

The possibility of a loan was first reported by the Manchester Evening News.

For Steffen, it's a move that would likely secure consistent playing time and give him a better chance to earn the starting job for the United States at the World Cup. Steffen is one of three European-based options for the U.S. -- along with Arsenal's Matt Turner and Nottingham Forest's Ethan Horvath -- who faced the prospect of limited first-team minutes in advance of the tournament.

Joe Lumley, who appeared 39 times in goal for Boro last season, completed a season-long loan to Reading FC earlier this month.

Steffen did not appear with the United States during its four June matches, for what the team said was family reasons. He has made 29 international appearances since he debuted in 2016, including six during World Cup qualifying.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Thanks for the clarification @Napoleon.  I was wondering about this as well.

Yeah!  Day 2 of Disney done before tonight's game.  I actually get to watch.

Disney isn't going to beat and detain you for watching another network on their property?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Any 

Link?

You can get a free hour if you go to FoxSports.com, click Watch on the far left, and then select the USMNT-Costa Rica U20 match.

That'll get you through the first half. You might be able to watch the second half if you repeat the same as above on another browser.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

You can get a free hour if you go to FoxSports.com, click Watch on the far left, and then select the USMNT-Costa Rica U20 match.

That'll get you through the first half. You might be able to watch the second half if you repeat the same as above on another browser.

Thank you kind sir. 

🤘

• Like 1

I'm not seeing it with our 10 (Luna).  Granted, it's a small sample size and I'm not paying 100% attention, but I've seen 3 turnovers and a foul from this dude.  Announcer said something about him breaking the record for largest transfer fee to the MLS or somesuch.

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm not seeing it with our 10 (Luna).  Granted, it's a small sample size and I'm not paying 100% attention, but I've seen 3 turnovers and a foul from this dude.  Announcer said something about him breaking the record for largest transfer fee to the MLS or somesuch.

He's really little. 

I know the competition is higher, but that was a pretty sloppy half.   In having watched US Soccer at all levels since about 2000, it is cool to see that we're no longer "out-technicaled" in most cases.  In the old days, you just hoped that the scrubs + good goalie would hold up just enough for Landycakes or McBride to poach a goal here or there.  I'm speaking mostly of the youth level games/tournies.

Getting Honduras in the semis. Based on tonight and like someone mentioned earlier, it’s going to be a physical/dirty match where the ref calls very little (only 2 yellows tonight). We will control possession, They will look to counter with speed on the outside. They will grab and run through us every chance they get knowing it will amount to very little and looking for the retaliation.

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Who is this Clark kid? That was a sick run. 

Definitely one of our best prospects.  Came up thru Barca academy, scored  his first MLS goal in the first match he played in at 17, this is his 3rd season with RBNY.   RB Leipzig bought him last window and are currently loaning him back to RBNY.   He had some injuries not too long ago and just now getting back into form. 

Edited by Ted Lange

Definitely one of our best prospects.  Came up thru Barca academy, scored  his first MLS goal in the first match he played in at 17, this is his 3rd season with RBNY.   RB Leipzig bought him last window and are currently loaning him back to RBNY.   He had some injuries not too long ago and just now getting back into form. 

Yeah 0 starts this season and 6 appearances. Loan ends at the end of the year. Still unsure of his position with the Nats long term. Might be a guy behind Reyna on the depth chart some day or could play wide too.

18 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Yeah I remember reading about him. Just hadn't seen him play.