USMNT 2022

Napoleon

2 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Remember beating CR7 and Portugal and giving Belgium a run. Who would have thought that that would be as good as it gets when we have so much more talent now. 

We didn’t beat CR7.  We let him run up the wing and fire a perfect centering pass to an unmarked man so Portugal could level at 90+4 

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1

1H thoughts

Turner - 1 excellent save and tried to bypass MF with distribution.  Bad giveaway at end of half - 6

Dest - Got forward and played an outstanding cross to Jesus.  Left Zimmerman exposed constantly because he doesn't defend at all - 5

Zimmerman - 1 awful pass but battled while basically playing RCB and RB - 6 

Long - Predictably awful.  Lost defending and incapable of playing a forward pass - 2

Vines - No idea what he provides.  We have to play a LB so he got the nod - 3

Adams - Okay defensively but poor in possession. - 4

McKennie - Very disappointing.  Erratic Juve form carrying over the NT - 4

DLT: Outclassed by the Japanese MF.  Questionable whether he is good enough for this level - 3

Reyna:  Always looks like he is working back into shape.  Had a couple of nice dribbles but not impactful - 5

Aaronson:  Quiet early but livened up as the half progressed.  Won fouls and pressed - 6

Jesus:  Another guy out of his depth at this level.  Missed a sitter - 3

Berhalter: Moron who thinks MLS guys are the answers to problematic positions.  Needs to choke on a pretzel - 1

Edited by alincoln
  • Hook 'Em 2

Aside from the CB's two horrible giveaways, I thought the US looked solid in the first 15 minutes and handled Japan's press well. Unfortunate not to have scored a goal on that lovely cross from Dest, but when your 9 is a midget ("He's 6-foot if you count the hair!"), chances like that will go begging.

Since about the 15-minute mark, however, it's been all Japan. I love LDLT but he's lost possession several times from over dribbling. McKennie gave away several balls. And movement off the ball seems to be lacking--the players aren't giving each other options.

Twellman keeps harping on Vines but this isn't Sam's fault. He is what he is, and if he sees a minute in Qatar I'll be shocked. How can he rove forward when the CBs and midfielders are always giving the ball away?

But instead of criticizing, I really should praise the Cherry Blossoms. They look great. Absolutely relentless pressure and very coordinated in transition.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Aside from the CB's two horrible giveaways, I thought the US looked solid in the first 15 minutes and handled Japan's press well. Unfortunate not to have scored a goal on that lovely cross from Dest, but when your 9 is a midget ("He's 6-foot if you count the hair!"), chances like that will go begging.

Since about the 15-minute mark, however, it's been all Japan. I love LDLT but he's lost possession several times from over dribbling. McKennie gave away several balls. And movement off the ball seems to be lacking--the players aren't giving each other options.

Twellman keeps harping on Vines but this isn't Sam's fault. He is what he is, and if he sees a minute in Qatar I'll be shocked. How can he rove forward when the CBs and midfielders are always giving the ball away?

But instead of criticizing, I really should praise the Cherry Blossoms. They look great. Absolutely relentless pressure and very coordinated in transition.

Maybe I heard wrong, but didn’t we give it away like 25 times early?!?!

I know Antonee tweaked an ankle, but has he returned to training yet.  Can’t seem to find much.

And Weah should be getting back to playing soon as well - right?

Haha - did Twellman just say that this halftime was good practice for Gregg?  That’s just what you want in the last international window - a learning moment for the skipper.

Edited by Kringelbert Fishtybuns

24 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

Playing ultra-disciplined teams is our weakness. we play one in iran. they will eventually knock us out of the group.

i'm glad we're getting this match in vs. japan to tell us how unprepared we are for that.

CONCACAF is nothing but undisciplined teams. It makes us think we are better than we are. And Berhalter doesn’t have the gray matter to fix what ails us. 

glad that the World Cup squads aren’t that disciplined. Oh wait …

• Hook 'Em 1

Dortmund probably doesn't want Reyna to play more than a half so that change is understandable.  Who else is there with Weah and Puli out?

Cannon for Dest makes sense as well given that Dest was constantly leaving us exposed.

Sargent for Jesus and McKenzie for Long prove that Gregg is a sentient being.

Not sure why Scally isn't on for Vines though