2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

4 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

As expected, we're at least able to handle business against most of the cupcake opponents.

No errors in either game. Czech and Simpson had great days.  Was a problem child(ren?) on the bench?

• Haha 1

As I mentioned earlier when the Clearwater fiasco was going down, I noticed Iakopo playing more grab ass than catch. It’s my guess that Mike is setting the expectation, regarding preparation and leadership, by benching the teams best player. We will see if this wakes her up or if she shuts it down. Her play and attitude have both been lazy thus far, and we need her to wake up and perform.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

As I mentioned earlier when the Clearwater fiasco was going down, I noticed Iakopo playing more grab ass than catch. It’s my guess that Mike is setting the expectation, regarding preparation and leadership, by benching the teams best player. We will see if this wakes her up or if she shuts it down. Her play and attitude have both been lazy thus far, and we need her to wake up and perform.

I suspected as much who the problem child may have been, tbh. 

Still speculation, but that was my gut feeling.  If she shuts it down, so be it.  Take the lumps that come with the younger players. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I suspected as much who the problem child may have been, tbh. 

Still speculation, but that was my gut feeling.  If she shuts it down, so be it.  Take the lumps that come with the younger players. 

Agreed. I don’t hunk it’s a coincidence that on the same night she was benched, Burke seemed to have pulled her head out of her ass and came to play. These ladies need to understand that the social media followers and the NLI money will dry up when they are no longer in the public eye.

Just now, FloridaHorn said:

Agreed. I don’t hunk it’s a coincidence that on the same night she was benched, Burke seemed to have pulled her head out of her ass and came to play. These ladies need to understand that the social media followers and the NLI money will dry up when they are no longer in the public eye.

Call it however you want - 

• Burke goes 2-3 (HR) with an RBI and 1-2 with an RBI in two games with Mary benched for "discipline reasons"
  • Jefferson goes 2-2 with 4 RBI and a walk and 2-3 with an RBI and a walk in two games getting moved down in the order
  • Zero errors in 2 games

Something looked different, that's for sure.  Maybe Shannon Rhodes came to the locker room earlier before the games and ripped them a new twat. 

Let's see if we can repeat last night against Tulsa (1:30) and Texas State (4pm) today

• Hook 'Em 1

Rant warning.  Sry for the vent.

Jordyn Whitaker being replaced in the middle of an inning is a reflection on the coaching staff as much or more than  the player.   Embarrassing for all.

Google tells me Jordyn was a corner infielder in high school and fielding average was .889.    She can be an asset as a power hitter DP but not as a fielder.   iirc,  she had key hits for us last year,  hit .358 with an OPS 1.046. 

She is struggling this year hitting .200 because her role needs to be defined and she needs to embrace it.   Her body language shows she is not happy which affects her performance.

Pull your head out,  Mike !

https://www.jacksonvilleprogress.com/sports/whitaker-to-take-big-bat-to-austin-set-to-join-longhorn-softball/article_0d15a368-4866-11ea-8ef9-efeee3eed1a0.html

https://www.maxprepsP.com/athlete/jordyn-whitaker/_0-R3fSREeaT-Oz0u-e-FA/softball/stats.htm

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FloridaHorn said:

Mullins for Tx St has a nasty change up as well. It is fun to watch the girls that can really spin the ball pitch.

She does.  Both young pitchers (true FR and true SO) with really nasty spin on that change up.  

Mullins threw a no-hitter in her collegiate debut last February. Simpson threw a no-hitter in her 3rd career start. 

12 hours ago, torre said:

Rant warning.  Sry for the vent.

Jordyn Whitaker being replaced in the middle of an inning is a reflection on the coaching staff as much or more than  the player.   Embarrassing for all.

Google tells me Jordyn was a corner infielder in high school and fielding average was .889.    She can be an asset as a power hitter DP but not as a fielder.   iirc,  she had key hits for us last year,  hit .358 with an OPS 1.046. 

She is struggling this year hitting .200 because her role needs to be defined and she needs to embrace it.   Her body language shows she is not happy which affects her performance.

Pull your head out,  Mike !

https://www.jacksonvilleprogress.com/sports/whitaker-to-take-big-bat-to-austin-set-to-join-longhorn-softball/article_0d15a368-4866-11ea-8ef9-efeee3eed1a0.html

https://www.maxprepsP.com/athlete/jordyn-whitaker/_0-R3fSREeaT-Oz0u-e-FA/softball/stats.htm

This is the way softball has chosen to go over the last 1/2 dozen years. Kids are recruited based on power numbers alone, and coaches tend to sacrifice defense to get the best 9 bats in the order. Mike White is the coach of a program, where he should be able to recruit great hitters, who can also play defense. OU does it, Washington does it, Alabama does it, no reason he can't do it.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

This is the way softball has chosen to go over the last 1/2 dozen years. Kids are recruited based on power numbers alone, and coaches tend to sacrifice defense to get the best 9 bats in the order. Mike White is the coach of a program, where he should be able to recruit great hitters, who can also play defense. OU does it, Washington does it, Alabama does it, no reason he can't do it.

Mike last 4 WCWS teams:

.342 BA, .941 OPS, .518 SLG
1.82 ERA
.971 fielding

.359 BA, 1.054 OPS, .593 SLG
2.42 ERA
.967 fielding

.324 BA, .884 OPS, .466 SLG
1.41 ERA
.968 fielding

.322 BA, .925 OPS, .524 SLG
1.38 ERA
.973 fielding

Mike's Texas teams so far:

.302 BA, .829 OPS, .452 SLG
1.70 ERA
.963 fielding

.376 BA, 1.047 OPS, .597 SLG
1.78 ERA
.958 fielding

.342 BA, .980 OPS, .561 SLG
2.58 ERA
.958 fielding

.280 BA, .814 OPS, .437 SLG
3.07 ERA
.947 fielding

The lack of power hitting on this team is a little baffling to me given White's MO.  We are really missing Rhodes and even Sullivan and Ellsworth.  In terms of who we have back, Mary has been shit, Whitaker looks lost, and Day has not been great. Beyond that, I don't see much potential power.  The rest of the lineup looks like slap hitters to me, which I personally hate, especially since we field so poorly.  I don't follow softball recruiting (I barely follow football recruiting), but I expected us to reload with mashers . . . I'm not really seeing it.  

4 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

There’s still a place for big girls that can hit for power but don’t move well. But that place is not the outfield. 

7 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Pitchers and catchers can get away with being big girls. First base as a 3rd option. The other positions really need speed and agility 

Just like baseball - catcher, 1B, DH/DP