2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Pitchers and catchers can get away with being big girls. First base as a 3rd option. The other positions really need speed and agility 

Pitchers and 1B maybe, but not catchers. I dare anyone of you fatasses to try and catch 68 MPH rise or drop balls from 43’ away.

the best players are 5’8-5’10 that can move and <5’6 who are fast as shit. Big fat girls, like Whittaker are a liability. They can’t play defense and when they get a hit, your team becomes station to station. Whitaker should be at DP if she is in the line up. Look at the last 10 years worth of championship teams and tell me how many slow fat girls they had in their lineup.

I know OU and Alabama have had some large women in their lineup over the past decade. Also, there’s that infamously large Samoan woman who won gold for team USA softball. Obviously it’s better to be in shape, but there have been a handful of slow and fat women who’s power and on base percentage out weighed (no pun intended ) their liabilities 

Edited by perfectchaos007

16 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Pitchers and 1B maybe, but not catchers. I dare anyone of you fatasses to try and catch 68 MPH rise or drop balls from 43’ away.

the best players are 5’8-5’10 that can move and <5’6 who are fast as shit. Big fat girls, like Whittaker are a liability. They can’t play defense and when they get a hit, your team becomes station to station. Whitaker should be at DP if she is in the line up. Look at the last 10 years worth of championship teams and tell me how many slow fat girls they had in their lineup.

I'm all for DP for Whitaker.  Still think our best OF lineup is some combo of Burke, Dayton, Gilbert and Popelka - no Cantu, no Whitaker out there.  Those were awful decisions. 

It's clear our infield will be Smith/Iakopo at 1st, Jefferson at 2nd, Washington/Parker at SS, Scott at 3rd with Iakopo/Smith/Cimusz behind the plate

TBD on Holmes, but she's just a freshman.  Cantu, Quiroga, Corona and Day are kinda left out, but Day can platoon at DP with Whitaker. 

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I imagine it’s much easier to recruit home run hitting meat sacks to places like Norman and Tuscaloosa than to Austin.

Honestly, the soon to be NCAA leader in HRs ain't much beef.  Neither was Lauren Chamberlain. 

Oklahoma Sooners&amp;#39; Jocelyn Alo Named D1Softball Player of the Year - Sports  Illustrated Oklahoma Sooners News, Analysis and More

5 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Exactly. Like I said earlier, look at the last few World Series teams and find all the fatasses. There aren’t any

Well not “any” - Bailey Hemphill was, you know 

image.thumb.jpeg.53bf3117fed8edaeaab38e4bd647c931.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well not “any” - Bailey Hemphill was, you know 

image.thumb.jpeg.53bf3117fed8edaeaab38e4bd647c931.jpeg

Bailey Hemphill was a good defensive player. She caught and played 1st base. Definitely an exception to the rule…..and she could really swing it. One of the best pure hitters in the last 10 years, along with Amanda Lorenz.

22 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Dolcini getting into form is huge. She has been pretty good her last couple of times out. We need her to eat innings against the top teams in this conference. 

Dolcini (2.80 ERA in 40 innings with 45 strikeouts) is #1 based on experience, Simpson is #2 even though her ERA is better (1.67 ERA in 21 innings with 31 strikeouts).  That could flip by the end of the year - we'll see.  But those are two I trust right now to start a game. 

Czech in relief has been pretty dang good (1.57 ERA in 26.2 IP with 21 strikeouts with 6 of her 9 appearances out of the bullpen)

O'Leary is a mess - last on the team in innings pitched and a 7.00 ERA

Edited by Js1

42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Dolcini (2.80 ERA in 40 innings with 45 strikeouts) is #1 based on experience, Simpson is #2 even though her ERA is better (1.67 ERA in 21 innings with 31 strikeouts).  That could flip by the end of the year - we'll see.  But those are two I trust right now to start a game. 

Czech in relief has been pretty dang good (1.57 ERA in 26.2 IP with 21 strikeouts with 6 of her 9 appearances out of the bullpen)

O'Leary is a mess - last on the team in innings pitched and a 7.00 ERA

What in the wide wide world of sports has happened to OLeary? She had a .65 ERA as a freshman. It’s obviously mental, but what a collapse. 

55 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

What in the wide wide world of sports has happened to OLeary? She had a .65 ERA as a freshman. It’s obviously mental, but what a collapse. 

She has never been the ace of this team, and when she is asked to play that roll, it ain’t pretty. Sad to say, she just isn’t THAT girl.

2019 - 0.65 ERA in 97.2 IP
2020 - 1.97 ERA in 49.2 IP (season ended prematurely - her stats project out to something like a 2.02 ERA for a full season)
2021 - 1.82 ERA in 161.2 IP (de facto ace bc of Elish leaving)
2022 - 7.00 ERA in 11 IP 

This is definitely a WTF season - she's not an ace, but she's not normally this bad. 

As previously discussed,  Shea has Graves Disease which may affect her weight and physical conditioning.   Remember when she was oft criticized for wearing sunglasses due to the disease.    Personal opinion,  but I think Graves Disease and this being her 4th year she has just lost the competitive spirit.

Hopefully,  she can contribute some meaningful innings.  

If you missed the below from the Baseball Forum,  hope softball gets to use this equipment.    Not necessarily all for strength, but overall flexibility and conditioning.   

49 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Iakopo, Cimusz, and Whitaker just hit back to back to back HR's

What’s that, 6 HR on the weekend so far? Washington, Cimusz (2), Iakopo, Whitaker and Dayton