What Are Your Top 5 U.S. Cities/Towns/Spots?

I have lived in Chicago for almost 30 years. It certainly has problems and a lot of things seem to be trending downward of late. 

That said it is still a tremendous place to live. I dont think there is a better city in the world if you are in your 20s and 30s. Everyone is from somewhere else. Nobody gives a shit where you went to school. Easy place to meet people who will be friends for life. People here are down to party all the time. 

Wouldnt trade my Chicago experience for anything. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Ehhh.  I'd disagree.  Minneapolis and KC are prosperous thriving areas that aren't getting completely overrun with west coast transplants.  They certainly don't have anything that compares to the Rockies, but if you're talking day-to-day living, taking account for COL and traffic and all of that jazz, there's definitely an argument to make.

And when I compared Denver to those towns, it wasn't meant as the slight some are taking it as either.  I just think from an urban amenity stand point, those towns have a lot in common.

I don't get your point about the Rockies not mattering. What would San Diego, LA or Seattle be without the Pacific Ocean? Obviously they matter. Without the Rockies, Denver might be a wind-swept prairie shithole like most of Wyoming. Perhaps you also really think severe cold, humid and hot weather don't matter. Also compared to Denver, Kansas City has an overweight and under-educated population. This is basic statistical fact. Whether that matters to your living preference is a subjective matter. If you enjoy living among fat and dumb people, the aggy "Brazos Valley" has your name on it. Some people also don't mind below zero temperatures and very long winters, and dig all the lakes that are in MN. Or they don't mind perpetual cloudiness. For me, cold, shitty weather matters and I'll take the sunny days of Northern CO over MN any day of the week.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I don't get your point about the Rockies not mattering. What would San Diego, LA or Seattle be without the Pacific Ocean? Obviously they matter. Without the Rockies, Denver might be a wind-swept prairie shithole like most of Wyoming. Perhaps you also really think severe cold, humid and hot weather don't matter. Also compared to Denver, Kansas City has an overweight and under-educated population. This is basic statistical fact. Whether that matters to your living preference is a subjective matter. If you enjoy living among fat and dumb people, the aggy "Brazos Valley" has your name on it. Some people also don't mind below zero temperatures and very long winters, and dig all the lakes that are in MN. Or they don't mind perpetual cloudiness. For me, cold, shitty weather matters and I'll take the sunny days of Northern CO over MN any day of the week.

I'm not saying the Rockies don't matter.  I'm saying the urban amenities of Denver, Minneapolis, and Kansas City are comparable.  The Rockies are the biggest reason Denver is on so many lists.  They are the reason the population there is in better shape than Kansas City.  The Rockies matter a metric fuck ton. 

You were the one who said there was no argument for those other cities in comparison to Denver.  I'm saying based on subjective criteria there are reasons people would prefer them.

On 2/18/2022 at 7:29 PM, Ag with kids said:

The music is great too...Grabbing a coffee and beignet and sitting in Jackson Square and listening to/watching all the entertainers is just a fun time.  Or going up to Frenchmen St...

That's the life right there

On 2/18/2022 at 7:49 PM, Shoxthemonkey said:

Cousin has a fairly remote place at 9,000ft overlooking Denver. Sitting on her deck with a Blanton's looking at the lights below and not a care in the world. Seeing the occasional black bear and deer. As relaxing a place as I've ever been.

This too

Does Denver have a smog issue?  One time I connected through there and as we were landing it seemed as if the haze was mighty thick.  I couldn't tell if it was smog, or smoke from a fire, or literally just haze, and then I had some beers in the airport and forgot all about it.

If NO isn't on your list because it's kind of run down, and dirty, that's your choice, but the food, and the music there is world class like no other city in America.  

I remember going there for the first time, and seeing HS kids roaming Bourbon street, and thinking to myself, I wouldn't raise a family within a 1,000 miles of this place, but damned if I don't love going there when the opportunity presents itself.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Does Denver have a smog issue?  One time I connected through there and as we were landing it seemed as if the haze was mighty thick.  I couldn't tell if it was smog, or smoke from a fire, or literally just haze, and then I had some beers in the airport and forgot all about it.

It's not smog. Occasionally smoke from forest fires will drift over the front range and just sit. It was real bad for like 4-5 days last summer.