What Are Your Top 5 U.S. Cities/Towns/Spots?

The food in Chicago is arguably better but all things equal I'd probably go for Boston based on better road trips - the Vineyard, up and down the Atlantic coast, and Amtrak to NYC. Ultimately it would also depend on the housing budget and what location of each city that'd allot me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Far be it from me to defend St. Louis in general.  Lotta barely-concealed racism, dangerous areas cleverly mixed in near University housing, and an accent that will ruin your fucking afternoon.

With that said, there's a lot of fun to be had.  Blues games, a night out on Cherokee, Old Town St. Charles around Christmas, Bosnian food in Bevo Mill, and Gioia's Deli.

23 hours ago, Helobious said:

Pretty much everyone I know that’s been to New Orleans has hated it, all saying it was dirty & ghetto. I’ve never visited because I’ve never heard anything good about it. Should probably go judge for myself. I do love me some beignets. 

Do it. You do need to see for yourself and I'd venture to wager that you'd be okay with the run down seediness of some of it as a trade off for the fun and history of it.

The Cubs are a bug, not a feature.

Was gonna say the same for the Red Sox. And Boston sports fans in general, which is to say everyone there.

I love Chicago but haven’t lived there. I have lived in Boston and I say, from the bottom of my heart, it fucking sucks to live there unless maybe you’re in Cambridge or went to college there.

Otherwise, you’re an outsider in an exceptionally provincial, regional place. And if you’ve lived in NYC already, it’s all the downsides of NYC except that, well, it isn’t NYC.

Now, the history, some of the food, the Charles, Cambridge, Fenway…. those are all great.

But unless you’re from there, don’t live there.

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I went to college in Texas, married a Texan, and my 2 business partners are Texans.  I'd say I'm pretty educated on what makes Texans tick.  And I think @Al_4_ISU is pretty dead on.  

I wasn’t referring to what he thought “makes Texans tick”. He intimated that most Texans hadn’t left the state, therefore lacking perspective. I guess if that’s also your view, there’s nothing to discuss. It’s an idiotic position. 

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wasn’t referring to what he thought “makes Texans tick”. He intimated that most Texans hadn’t left the state, therefore lacking perspective. I guess if that’s also your view, there’s nothing to discuss. It’s an idiotic position. 

He did not intimate that most have never left the state, nor do I think that.  You seem to be lacking in your reading comprehension.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He was simply entertaining greenspoint’s comment about Texas being “sticky”, which I believe greenspoint defined as the people born there don’t leave. 

no one is calling you an unrefined rube. Calm down.*

*I am patiently awaiting the day I can call you milquetoast. It will happen right after I learn what it means, and no later.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

14 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No, that's how you chose to take it.

20 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I remember when that dude and his wife in STL represented in their front yard with a gun and mustard stained pants.  It was reported they had a 5K SF house that was worth only like a $1M or something.  That tells you all you need to know about STL.

Meh...when I lived out in Weatherford, west of Ft Worth, there were some places out there where you could have a 5K sqft house on 3 acres for around a million.  Have to live 40 min from downtown Ft Worth though.

17 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

When someone tells me that they didn't like New Orleans, that's a pretty quick way for me to know I probably won't find them very enjoyable.

We need two categories for this list.  

1.  What are your favorite cities to visit?

2.  What are your favorite cities to live in?

I know dozens of people that have lived in New Orleans and never would consider living there again.

7 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

We need two categories for this list.  

1.  What are your favorite cities to visit?

2.  What are your favorite cities to live in?

I know dozens of people that have lived in New Orleans and never would consider living there again.

Yeah, I could see how someone would get sick of living in any place that's heavy on tourism.  I know two people who live or have lived there.  Both liked it, and one only moved to be closer to family.

I don't know that I'd want to live there even though I love it.  I like 4 seasons and types of outdoor activities that aren't options there.  That said, I'm really adaptable and can embrace the strengths of about any locale and could be happy living in a lot of places.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

57 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

New Orleans is a completely dysfunctional city. 

This is a US-based thread, so I’ll allow it….but I think that’s a very American-centric way to look at it. It doesn’t function the way you expect it should based on your experience as an American, where things “work like they should”.

A lot of places don’t work like you, or I, expect they should. Some of the best places I have ever been fit that mold. If we’re willing to re-frame our expectations on how things should function, they can be great. If we can’t, they will be maddening places.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
Words are hard
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

This is a US-based thread, so I’ll slow it….but I think that’s a very American-centric way to look at it. It doesn’t function the way you expect it should based on your experience as an American, where things “work like they should”.

A lot of places don’t work like you, or I, expect they should. Some of the best places I have ever been fit that mold. If we’re willing to re-frame your expectations on how things should function, they can be great. If you can’t, they will be maddening places.

There's a lot of truth in this.  A lot of cool places I've been are places where punctuality isn't valued at all.  As a prototypical warped work-obsessed Midwestern farmer I kind of lose my shit when people are late or schedules aren't followed.  I wouldn't want to live in these places even though I think they have a ton to offer.  But because I know this is the expectation, I can adjust my view enough to appreciate said place for what it is.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

35 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There's a lot of truth in this.  A lot of cool places I've been are places where punctuality isn't valued at all.  As a prototypical warped work-obsessed Midwestern farmer I kind of lose my shit when people are late or schedules aren't followed.  I wouldn't want to live in these places even though I think they have a ton to offer.  But because I know this is the expectation, I can adjust my view enough to appreciate said place for what it is.

Don’t live in Egypt.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

or Louisiana.

Even church starts late.  They can't even show up on time for the big guy...

try this one out...

in Egypt, when you're trying to schedule a meeting and you establish a date, time and location and you let them know you are looking forward to meeting them then, they will respond back with what amounts to "If God is willing, we will meet then. Or possibly the next day, or the day after that."

Then, they will probably not show up, at which point you'll need to accept it was not part of God's plan for you to actually have the meeting you showed up for.

• Rage+1 1

52 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

try this one out...

in Egypt, when you're trying to schedule a meeting and you establish a date, time and location and you let them know you are looking forward to meeting them then, they will respond back with what amounts to "If God is willing, we will meet then. Or possibly the next day, or the day after that."

Then, they will probably not show up, at which point you'll need to accept it was not part of God's plan for you to actually have the meeting you showed up for.

Uh, yeah.  I would be jailed there.

On 2/21/2022 at 4:11 PM, Chewbacca said:

Lake City has some great offroading, as you mentioned, but all the side by sides tearing around town really ruin it for me.  Hate that noise.

The OHV's have been a big debate in Lake City. They recently started letting them drive from town on the highway to the Alpine Loop so people didn't have to trailer them out to staging areas to explore the loop. I honestly don't mind them. I stayed there for 2 months last summer and will be there 4 months this next summer. I still think the town has a great feel. Usually the OHVs are in town in the mornings and late afternoons before and after they are out in the mountains. My parents had a place there for 40 years out past castle lakes, but sold it a couple years ago. My mom frickin hated those machines. A lot of the long time summer residents do hate them, but they are very practical for exploring the area. I will buy one this June and sell it come October. Sorry mom.

On 2/22/2022 at 4:37 PM, Helobious said:

Pretty much everyone I know that’s been to New Orleans has hated it, all saying it was dirty & ghetto. I’ve never visited because I’ve never heard anything good about it. Should probably go judge for myself. I do love me some beignets. 

Know how I know you live in either Frisco, Plano, Allen, The Woodlands or Katy. 

The OHV's have been a big debate in Lake City. They recently started letting them drive from town on the highway to the Alpine Loop so people didn't have to trailer them out to staging areas to explore the loop. I honestly don't mind them. I stayed there for 2 months last summer and will be there 4 months this next summer. I still think the town has a great feel. Usually the OHVs are in town in the mornings and late afternoons before and after they are out in the mountains. My parents had a place there for 40 years out past castle lakes, but sold it a couple years ago. My mom frickin hated those machines. A lot of the long time summer residents do hate them, but they are very practical for exploring the area. I will buy one this June and sell it come October. Sorry mom.
We're getting more and more of them in Fraser and i hate them. They are not legal in roads here, but that doesn't stop them and the sheriff doesn't seem inclined to do anything about it. They do a ton of damage to trails, too. Bad news all around.

On 2/23/2022 at 11:01 AM, Chopper said:

The food in Chicago is arguably better but all things equal I'd probably go for Boston based on better road trips - the Vineyard, up and down the Atlantic coast, and Amtrak to NYC. Ultimately it would also depend on the housing budget and what location of each city that'd allot me. 

Yep.  I think Boston housing is literally double Chicago’s.  Chicago to me, dollar for dollar is the best bargain if you like that urban life.  Philly is right there 

On 2/22/2022 at 3:25 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

I would agree.  I'm just saying that without the Rockies, Denver is basically Minneapolis or Kansas City.  Very fun towns with plenty of options, but I haven't seen either on anyone's list here.

I love visiting New Orleans. It's easily among the best cities to visit in the US.  However it isn't  among my choice of places to live for a variety of reasons.  A lot of the wide disagreement in the thread is due to the vagueness of the initial question. For example, even if you want to ignore the Rockies, Denver has a healthier, better educated population than KC, and a far superior climate than either. I don't think there's a serious argument to be made about quality of life comparisons b/w Denver, KC and MN.

21 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Know how I know you live in either Frisco, Plano, Allen, The Woodlands or Katy. 

0/5. Fwiw one person I know actually did say they liked it, everyone else didn’t though. I just don’t see the appeal. There’s plenty of crowded places to drink in any city. Don’t know why people feel the need to trek to NO to do it. I do plan to visit one day but it’s far down my list.

36 minutes ago, Helobious said:

0/5. Fwiw one person I know actually did say they liked it, everyone else didn’t though. I just don’t see the appeal. There’s plenty of crowded places to drink in any city. Don’t know why people feel the need to trek to NO to do it. I do plan to visit one day but it’s far down my list.

The food is why you make the trek.

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

I get it, NO is not for everyone.  Could be generational, Ive been going to NO pretty regularly since I was a freshman at Texas in 88, its part of  Americana that is an acquired taste.  Its an old, gritty, historical city that has a unique appeal.  People who say I dont go there b/c its dirty, really have no business really talking about NO, you don't get it and you never will. and that's AOK.  Me bagging on you thinking you should stick to Scottsdale and Seaside...I am as guilty as you for bagging on NO. Carry on. Hookem

16 hours ago, Chopper said:

I love visiting New Orleans. It's easily among the best cities to visit in the US.  However it isn't  among my choice of places to live for a variety of reasons.  A lot of the wide disagreement in the thread is due to the vagueness of the initial question. For example, even if you want to ignore the Rockies, Denver has a healthier, better educated population than KC, and a far superior climate than either. I don't think there's a serious argument to be made about quality of life comparisons b/w Denver, KC and MN.

Ehhh.  I'd disagree.  Minneapolis and KC are prosperous thriving areas that aren't getting completely overrun with west coast transplants.  They certainly don't have anything that compares to the Rockies, but if you're talking day-to-day living, taking account for COL and traffic and all of that jazz, there's definitely an argument to make.

And when I compared Denver to those towns, it wasn't meant as the slight some are taking it as either.  I just think from an urban amenity stand point, those towns have a lot in common.

28 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Counterpoint: people from Kansas and Missouri are actually cyborgs programmed to not have any personality. If you want to live with soulless cyborgs KC seems lovely.

KSU Twitter definitely has a personality.

It's a terrible personality, but personality nonetheless.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Ehhh.  I'd disagree.  Minneapolis and KC are prosperous thriving areas that aren't getting completely overrun with west coast transplants.  They certainly don't have anything that compares to the Rockies, but if you're talking day-to-day living, taking account for COL and traffic and all of that jazz, there's definitely an argument to make.

And when I compared Denver to those towns, it wasn't meant as the slight some are taking it as either.  I just think from an urban amenity stand point, those towns have a lot in common.

We've lived in the KC for almost 12 years now, and have been pleasantly surprised. We enjoy living here. Our plan has always been to retire back in Texas, but all the right wing nut job politicians and their laws are making us rethink. 

• Hook 'Em 1