Storing fuel (generator)

Knoxtnhorn

Yes, I know.  Ask my husband or something...

The only things I've ever put gas into in my life are cars and lawn mowers.  I've never let anything sit long enough for the gas to go "bad".

I purchased a generator a couple of weeks ago, set it up, added the oil, gas, etc... and it works just fine.  What I'm slightly unclear about is how to store it with gas in the tank.  I did add fuel stabilizer to it as instructed.  A friend of mine advised me to start it up every couple of months for a few minutes.  Cool.  Does this work perpetually?  I'm obviously lacking in the "way fuel works" knowledge, but I can't imagine that the gas I add today will work in a year, or two years even if treating and running it occasionally. 

Is this a generator for running small power tools and the like?

Gasoline with ethanol will do the most harm.  Try using only ethanol free gasoline if you can find it.  

If your concerned about leftover gas int the tank then siphon off that fuel into your gas storage tank.

• Hook 'Em 1

The gas in the tank should be fine with stabilizer in it.  The real problem is gas in the carburetor, especially if it has ethanol.  For something you don’t use very often use ethanol free gas.  You can get it at Buccees.  Make sure there is a shut off valve in your fuel line.  It’s easy to put one on if there’s not.  When it’s not in use close the fuel shit off and run the carburetor dry

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Is there a reason it can’t sit dry until it’s needed?

I’ve never had anything either that would sit a while without use.

This. I’ve been running the same Honda generator 10 times a year at Texans tailgates since 2003. First offseason, I tried running for 10 minutes every month. Needed a carb cleaning after one year. Since then I just run it dry at season’s end. No issues since.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 1

Got it.  Thanks all.  

I thought about running it until it got dry, but I was thinking of the occasion(s) when the need is over, but the tank still has a lot of gas in it.  For example, the electricity goes out, I used the generator, electricity comes back on 5 mins later.  Feels kind of irresponsible to idle the thing for however long it would take to empty.

Appreciate the replies.  

22 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

If there is a valve between the tank and carb close it and run the engine til it dies.  This the gas will not have a chance to gum/varnish up in the jets or other.

I have this on a gas power washer I have.  The ethanol free gas is a big deal, on stuff like the power washer which doesn't get used very often I use trufuel.  That is not really cost friendly if you are going to use more than a few gallons.  Also, be aware that the fuel stabilizer itself has a shelf life.  I used some this year for my mowing gas that I get in spring and this year it went bad on me last month.

You can find ethanol free gas out in the country.  Never used this, but I found a map.... https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/maps.jsp

• Hook 'Em 1

We use stabilizer in our rv generators and we went over 15 months no use with gas in them. Started easy peasy this weekend. We ran them dry though this time. Do either of these you should be fine, consider yanking on the starter rope once every few months if your concerned.  Change the oil too, that’s helpful for making sure it lasts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/19/2022 at 2:48 PM, Mother mopar said:

Use stabil and you'll be good to go as it will last for 2 years. I use it religiously in my mowers, chainsaws and cars I don't drive in the winter. Never have a problem come spring when I crank'em up.

No shit.  Gone are the days of having to run your lawn/snow equipment empty to keep from gumming everything up when you fire them up the next season.  Now you don't have to do shit.  Just put Stabil in there every time you buy gas.

• Hook 'Em 1