Live crawfish in Austin?

Brisketexan

From stuffed this week:

Crawfish Information

The weather is moving in the right direction but the catch has not starting coming up.  We hope that changes in the next couple of days but we do not know for certain.  

Here's the deal...  The live crawfish will be expensive.  $4.99/lb 

They are still immature and a lot of them are soft.  You have a good chance of seeing 10% plus dead loss on average in a sack.  Some sacks have been better than others.  We are taking orders but are certain that we will have to stop soon as we only anticipate getting about 20% of what we would normally order.  Of course this number may change but we have to stay conservative.  I absolutey hate calling people and telling them we do not have their crawfish.  It keeps me up at night and I desparately need my beauty sleep...  

If you do one boil a year, wait.  We'll have a good season, it just hasn't started yet.  If you do several small boils a year, then you probably know what you're getting into.

The online ordering portal is open for now.

From stuffed this week:
Crawfish Information
The weather is moving in the right direction but the catch has not starting coming up.  We hope that changes in the next couple of days but we do not know for certain.  
Here's the deal...  The live crawfish will be expensive.  $4.99/lb 
They are still immature and a lot of them are soft.  You have a good chance of seeing 10% plus dead loss on average in a sack.  Some sacks have been better than others.  We are taking orders but are certain that we will have to stop soon as we only anticipate getting about 20% of what we would normally order.  Of course this number may change but we have to stay conservative.  I absolutey hate calling people and telling them we do not have their crawfish.  It keeps me up at night and I desparately need my beauty sleep...  
If you do one boil a year, wait.  We'll have a good season, it just hasn't started yet.  If you do several small boils a year, then you probably know what you're getting into.
The online ordering portal is open for now.

Thanks. Went to grab some at a restaurant in woodlands today . Small and chewy. Jumped the gun big time .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 11:56 PM, Dewey said:

Have some fucking patience for christ sake. This is getting earlier and earlier, fucking things get thrown on the table the size of a gummy bear and people are excited.  

Hey!  My wife is quite content with my gummy bear... 😉

• Haha 2

Managed to get them at Stuffed.  Yes, a fair number were a bit small and still soft, but not a bad ratio of dead to live when all was said and done.  We had people in town who wanted to attend their first crawfish boil, so we made it happen.  We'll do it again in April.

What's wrong with doing a shrimp and crab boil until the mudbugs grow up?  That was always what my Cajun cousins always did early in Lent.

For me? No problem at all. For people who were here and likely never will be again? Wanted to give them the experience.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

For me? No problem at all. For people who were here and likely never will be again? Wanted to give them the experience.

Still no pics of the French roommates.  J/K, glad you were able to show your foreign guests a little bit of what makes this part of the world unique.

Seems like with the high dead ration that it's probably more cost effective to just bring a cooler and buy a bunch at Stuffed and bring them home, still avoiding the strait tails of course. I was going to stop into "the Boat" (formerly Sam's Boat) and get some on Fat Tuesday, but at $15.95 a pound I sort of lost my lust for the little buggers.

55 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Never been suckered into one of those, and never will -- precisely because every one of them reeks of that sort of outcome.

That said, if you can find a charity one that's smaller, it can often be a winner.  A few years back, Lenoir put one on -- it was like $50 a head to raise money for some cause or another, but they brought in an outfit from Breaux Bridge to do the cooking.   Most attendees were more interested in being seen and sipping fancy cocktails.   When I went back up to the trailer for my 4th tray, the dudes working said "okay, you're the real deal, what are you doing here?"  I said "eating a shitload of your crawfish."  They took damn good care of me for the rest of the day, I sat down and ate and shot the shit with them for a good while.  And dear lord, I ate a metric shitton of crawfish over a 3-4 hour period.