Is the West Mall still a place where all speech is welcome?

horn4life

16 hours ago, Lobo said:

I can’t imagine being 20 years old and being one of the 300 students that signed a petition so that they could attend a Ben Shapiro talk on a Saturday night.  But I’m no events expert.  

huge turnout for this Blackrock ESG event right now.  Everybody being cool because “ideas”

Why did they have to sign a petition to allow Ben Shapiro to talk?

Low IQ is not the problem with regards to free speech abuse.  I don't put much stock in IQ anyway, as it is just a measure of how well people can solve specific puzzle types within a given time frame.  But even if we muzzled all the below median IQ people it wouldn't eliminate the most disruptive provocateurs.  Shapiro has been mentioned in this thread; do you think he would fail to score above median IQ?  Successful provocateurs are not slow witted people.  They may have moral deficiencies, but not IQ puzzle related deficiency.            

2 hours ago, Terry Silver said:

Why did they have to sign a petition to allow Ben Shapiro to talk?

lest this get repeated again and then become enshrined as a sad fact about the children, nobody has indicated that this is a thing that happened or would happen in the real world, and there has been no evidence presented whatsoever that free speech has been cancelled on campus

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, nobody had to.  But in some cases for larger gatherings, be it a political speaker or beat poet…sometimes there’s some paperwork.  It’s a small city, there’s permits sometimes.  

38 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

lest this get repeated again and then become enshrined as a sad fact about the children, nobody has indicated that this is a thing that happened or would happen in the real world, and there has been no evidence presented whatsoever that free speech has been cancelled on campus

That’s good to know. I do agree with a poster above that Ben Shapiro should be censored.

19 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

You compare to Texags because your original post reeked of their infamous persecution complex. Newer generations are not killing the first amendment. Free speech isn’t being cancelled. Different perspectives are allowed. There is no need for the poor me, old army, take my ball and go home post. 

There are have people that have lost their jobs in both normal work conditions, tv hosting, and numerous other examples throughout our country. As much as I hate newer terms, the term “cancel culture” is there for an actual reason.

These issues did not exist in previous generations. We also did not have the far reach of idiotic social media. This is absolutely attributed to more recent generations.

I can see this clearly bothers you for someone to endorse more free thinking schools of thought.

If you were to compare me to something you could’ve chosen Bob Marley or Rage Against the Machine, but instead you went with your favorite website which is ironically the opposite of freedom of speech or unbridled thought.

9 hours ago, phdhorn said:

The West Mall stopped welcoming free speech, and built stuff to inhibit it, long before any of us got there.

8E341450-FE07-40B0-910A-DD07EEC5E541.jpeg.4e3a51f233c8ce9df0adfe3ec354e7aa.jpeg

I’m not a constitutional attorney and I don’t know shit about fuck regarding politics. 
As well, I’m not a savant on geography a la Michael Jordan.

With that being said, if students wanted to organize a protest, debate, et al, with big crowds… couldn’t they walk about 35 yards and recreate what “they did in the 60s”… in the South Mall? I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure it’s a lot bigger and can hold more folk. 
Heck, you can get a good picture from Littlefield Fountain if you fill it all the way to the street. 
As I said, maybe I am wrong and my tin hat isn’t fitting properly (do I PM Derka to get a new one or where do I send my $9.95?)… but if creating 3-4 areas with trees… decreases or limits free speech on campus… 

C’moooooooooooooon man. 

Edited by JerrysJheriCurl

19 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

8E341450-FE07-40B0-910A-DD07EEC5E541.jpeg.4e3a51f233c8ce9df0adfe3ec354e7aa.jpegLo

I’m not a constitutional attorney and I don’t know shit about fuck regarding politics. 
As well, I’m not a savant on geography a la Michael Jordan.

With that being said, if students wanted to organize a protest, debate, et al, with big crowds… couldn’t they walk about 35 yards and recreate what “they did in the 60s”… in the South Mall? I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure it’s a lot bigger and can hold more folk. 
Heck, you can get a good picture from Littlefield Fountain if you fill it all the way to the street. 
As I said, maybe I am wrong and my tin hat isn’t fitting properly (do I PM Derka to get a new one or where do I send my $9.95?)… but if creating 3-4 areas with trees… decreases or limits free speech on campus… 

C’mon man. 

Well, my police work started with the thread title... West Mall.  Not disagreeing that the south side can accommodate that but I was pretty familiar with a lot of older faculty and students who all had the same story and gave it to me without much difference.  Really same goes for the east side.  And both still can have crowds; just not the huge ones that could form on the drag.  Not sure what it is about West Mall except it was always traditionally the spot for gatherings, etc.  Not sure if it was a designated "free speech" area or what.    Here are 2 pix I found of back in the day (I think 1971):

image.png.4fe5a1c139fb55f0742a2c34e4dbbcd4.png image.png.6734717cefb015c6d5b79c5a0cc097a4.png

Notice in the left photo that it's definitely West Mall, and you can see where there seems to be an unbroken crowd behind the guys in front - before the put up the "tree beds".  The right photo is clearly of the drag, I think just down below 21st.  One reason the West Mall in particular was "the" demo place was because crowds could form and march to/from it on the Drag (which happened a lot).

Again, South and East sides of Main Building had the space, but the West side always had the demonstrations, that much is clear.  As is the title of this thread.  That's what I heard and I'm stickin' to it. 

Edited by phdhorn

1 hour ago, DaggerHorns said:

There are have people that have lost their jobs in both normal work conditions, tv hosting, and numerous other examples throughout our country. As much as I hate newer terms, the term “cancel culture” is there for an actual reason.

These issues did not exist in previous generations. We also did not have the far reach of idiotic social media. This is absolutely attributed to more recent generations.

I can see this clearly bothers you for someone to endorse more free thinking schools of thought.

If you were to compare me to something you could’ve chosen Bob Marley or Rage Against the Machine, but instead you went with your favorite website which is ironically the opposite of freedom of speech or unbridled thought.

People lose jobs because companies fire people for behavior not consistent with their policies. This isn’t new to this generation. This has always been a thing. The only recent novelty is the invention of devices that allow the public to share information to companies about their employees. There is no such thing as cancel culture. People are being held accountable for their words and actions. 

Free thinking does not bother me, only stupidity masquerading as enlightened thought 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

e29fb66d1e08a2d996d02a3c432eac8e.jpg
I wonder if you could toss a beer bottle from the Woo and hit one of those dirty commie hippies. Just sayin it’s been done before

I can respect that my good man. 

When MEChA, ALAS “Chingadas” (as some of us called them) and HBSA organized a rally, protest and walk regarding Hopwood, I was on campus. I believe the year was 92 or 93. I’m old and my memory is decrepit. 
We did our thang on West Mall and walked to the office of Dan Morales (FTP) en masse and had some choice words for him as well. 
Was it as big as Vietnam protests on campus? Most likely, no. There were only a couple of hundred of us. 250-300 or so, if I was a betting man. 
(That was also the number of us that would go to Palmeras on Thursdays and do the macarena.)

If folk/students know how to organize, they can do it wherever, whenever. Platform/media is different now. It’s mostly digital. It’s no longer the Roman Senate style. 
I appreciate the discourse hermano. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 9:27 AM, Brisketexan said:

I'll have to go ask the guys manning the "legalize hemp, it's totally not about getting high" table -- you know the guys.....all stoners. 

What’s amazing about those guys is how they were right about an issue… yet still the most annoying people on campus.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

People lose jobs because companies fire people for behavior not consistent with their policies. This isn’t new to this generation. This has always been a thing. The only recent novelty is the invention of devices that allow the public to share information to companies about their employees. There is no such thing as cancel culture. People are being held accountable for their words and actions. 

Free thinking does not bother me, only stupidity masquerading as enlightened thought 

People get fired for their opinions all the time.

We live in a world where certain cartoon characters are removed and business owners are forced to facilitate people; rather than these people not watching that specific cartoon or simply ignoring the unwanted businesses.

Too say that there is no such thing as cancel culture is not only ignorant but incredibly stupid. We never had people fired for simply speaking out things that offended others. This is new.

When you say “people are being held accountable for their words and actions.” We aren’t addressing “actions.” Free speech is only about what you’re saying not doing. Furthermore, this has nothing to do with holding someone accountable for what they said. Again, people can say whatever they want regardless of who it offends, disagree, agree, etc. 

You can engage in a constructive debate saying anything you want on the UT Austin campus. The truth of this matter is that in today’s world, it’s absolutely, without question, easier to offend someone or find those who are easily offended. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

There’s no protection from consequence for the stupid and abhorrent things you say, except from the government. 

There’s no such thing as cancel culture. I’ll keep saying that as long as you keep saying it exists to deflect blame for abhorrent beliefs. 

Plus real cancel culture is things like banning books and certain topics not being allowed to be taught. But you don’t mention that, only people being fired for saying bad things. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

41 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

We live in a world where certain cartoon characters are removed and business owners are forced to facilitate people; rather than these people not watching that specific cartoon or simply ignoring the unwanted businesses.

Too say that there is no such thing as cancel culture is not only ignorant but incredibly stupid. We never had people fired for simply speaking out things that offended others. This is new.

When you say “people are being held accountable for their words and actions.” We aren’t addressing “actions.” Free speech is only about what you’re saying not doing. Furthermore, this has nothing to do with holding someone accountable for what they said. Again, people can say whatever they want regardless of who it offends, disagree, agree, etc. 

You can engage in a constructive debate saying anything you want on the UT Austin campus. The truth of this matter is that in today’s world, it’s absolutely, without question, easier to offend someone or find those who are easily offended. 

I get some of what you're saying.  We've been firing people from our trucking company, simply for what they say, for going on 35 years now.  Not because of what they did, but because of what they said.  And dozens of other freight companies in our area have done the same.  And for far longer.  Your words have consequences, and if it's gonna hurt our bottom line and disrupt the customer expectations---fuck you, here's your shit, hit the bricks. 

We just shitcanned a guy for participating in that Trucker Convoy a few weeks back.  And he's lucky we didn't prosecute him for a felony.  I even sent his house a bouquet of flowers reminding him to shut up, stay home, and move on.  So his family would restrain him.  

Edited by Lobo

27 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

People do get fired for their opinions. That is not against the law. People are entitled to their opinions. They are not entitled to a job. A person could scream anti semitic slurs until their hearts explodes from joy, the government could not imprison them for that speech, but their employer has the right to fire someone if they do not follow behavior policies in their contract, including screaming anti semitic slurs. 

There is no such thing as cancel culture. People have long been fired for expressing words considered repugnant by society. Jimmy the Greek was fired by CBS in 1988. There are oodles of men fired for sexual explicit words at work. The reasons it happens more and more now, is laws were passed to stop it seem by EEOC regulations passage in 1980. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Free speech is only about what you’re saying not doing. 

Do you even Citizens United bro? You may want to Google machine that. Googlelealo.  

48 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Too say that there is no such thing as cancel culture is not only ignorant but incredibly stupid. 

Using that term is very telling. There are “think tanks” on K Street and other parts of the city that create terms and messages, test them and retest them a few more times, before they send them out to their targeted demographic/audience.

It’s intentional. It’s a feature, not a bug. 

It’s set up like a deck of cards. They’re sending us to early graves for all the diamonds. They’ll use a pair of clubs to beat the spades.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Plus real cancel culture is things like banning books and certain topics not being allowed to be taught. But you don’t mention that, only people being fired for saying bad things. 

You’re good at proving my points. I should give you the mic.

I guess you also missed my example with cartoon characters but, I only mention “people for being fired for saying bad things.” Can you read?

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We just shitcanned a guy for participating in that Trucker Convoy a few weeks back.  And he's lucky we didn't prosecute him for a felony.  I even sent his house a bouquet of flowers reminding him to shut up, stay home, and move on.  So his family would restrain him.  

I get some of what you’re saying. I’m more referring to opinions outside the workplace and for this thread; UT campus, as a student. 

Participating in a convoy would be an action much stronger than words.

Edited by DaggerHorns

14 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Do you even Citizens United bro? You may want to Google machine that. Googlelealo.  

Using that term is very telling. There are “think tanks” on K Street and other parts of the city that create terms and messages, test them and retest them a few more times, before they send them out to their targeted demographic/audience.

It’s intentional. It’s a feature, not a bug. 

It’s set up like a deck of cards. They’re  sending us to early graves for all the diamonds. They’ll use a pair of clubs to beat the spades.

What term would you like? I’ll change it to whatever you want.

On 3/21/2022 at 7:50 AM, crash_davis said:

when someone defends something as free speech, i automatically assume that speech is filled with hate, idiocy, and bullshit. that is what has become of free speech. fucking idiots with a bullhorn. half of the world are idiots. it's unfortunate that those are the idiots who use and espouse free speech the most.

free speech and civility should go hand in hand. free speech without civility is just non-sense bullshit with the sole purpose of pissing off people. it's more "hey look at me" than a civilized, respectful exchange of ideas.

Well, the thing about "Freedom of Speech" is that the offensive, loud, idiotic, against-the-grain speech is the only kind worth defending, because it's the only kind that ever gets attacked. That's the whole point. Because you never know when a particular brand of idiocy might just happen to turn out to be informative and correct.

That said, nobody guarantees you a right to be heard. And obviously, if you're a dick about it, nobody will want to listen to you anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DaggerHorns said:

I get some of what you’re saying. I’m more referring to opinions outside the workplace and for this thread UT campus as a student. 

Participating in a convoy would be an action much stronger than words.

I agree, I'd like to keep this thread about just on open speech on public university campuses.  It's a worthwhile discussion and I've been trying to provide context.  

And we didn't shitcan the driver because we didn't like his actions.  He drove a deadhead tractor-trailer of ours (he's not an owner-operator, he's a FTE driver on leased equipment) to a state where we weren't covered for insurance purposes.  So he could brag to his friends about what he did.  His operations higher-ups wanted him arrested on felony charges and a civil suit.  I talked them down.  And he will be used as a warning.  There are two rules regarding a bullshit "Free Speech" bitch fest.  Say and do whatever the fuck you want, you always have.  You mention unionizing, even as a joke anywhere near one of our terminals/domiciles...or you take a truck so much as a quarter mile off route unless it's a medical emergency...and you will lose your job.  And then that's when I'll really go to work on you.  That's when my rights kick in.  And you're really not gonna like what happens then.  Because we're private, because your big mouth can't disrupt what we do, and because I'll shove that sticker on the back of the trailer I asked you not to place on there will be so far up your wife's cunt...the taste of vinyl will make a fine 45.  

9 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

What term would you like? I’ll change it to whatever you want.

Bruh, a mi no importa. Call it mac-n-cheese, if it floats your boat. 

IDGAF what you call it. Put a choke hold on the muthafucka and call it blue dog shit, you know what I mean? I don’t care. 

I’m just giving you the genesis of the term. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DaggerHorns said:

Can you be more specific about the cartoon characters being removed? I'm not sure if you're thinking of copyright owners voluntarily pulling them from circulation or something else. For example, Warner Brothers decided not to rerun cartoons with Speedy Gonzales. Disney doesn't reprint Song of the South. The Seuss family stopped printing a few books because of racial caricatures. Is this what you are referring to?

Also, stating " We never had people fired for simply speaking out things that offended others. This is new" is just insane. How else would you describe the Red Scare and Hollywood blacklist of the 40's just to name one obvious example?

• Hook 'Em 1

People not speaking out against Lia Thomas for fear of getting cancelled is a real thing. Just because you don’t think it’s a big deal for her to compete against women doesn’t mean that others don’t have a valid reason for believing that it’s not legit. Just because you say there’s no such thing as a cancel culture doesn’t make it true. There’s plenty of other examples but you support the canceling mob so you’re blinded to it. It goes both ways.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

You mention unionizing, even as a joke anywhere near one of our terminals/domiciles...or you take a truck so much as a quarter mile off route unless it's a medical emergency...and you will lose your job.

I'm sure DaggerHorns, who is very concerned about the rights of cartoon characters, is outright appalled to hear you frame the consequences of speech related to unionization.  

8 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Can you be more specific about the cartoon characters being removed? I'm not sure if you're thinking of copyright owners voluntarily pulling them from circulation or something else. For example, Warner Brothers decided not to rerun cartoons with Speedy Gonzales. Disney doesn't reprint Song of the South. The Seuss family stopped printing a few books because of racial caricatures. Is this what you are referring to?

Also, stating " We never had people fired for simply speaking out things that offended others. This is new" is just insane. How else would you describe the Red Scare and Hollywood blacklist of the 40's just to name one obvious example?

Apu on the Simpsons. He was a great positive character with an accurate stereotype. He had a great heart and all this other cool shit but somewhere some dickhead decided decided this had racism.

Society is now better off since this fictional character no longer appears. If he stayed on the cartoon series, we all would have lost our minds and attacked South Asian people when we saw them in real life because we watched Apu on the Simpsons.

Pepe Le Pew tape was apparently found in all the homes of the Baylor rapists. This cartoon normalized rape culture and that’s why everyone fucks each other without consent.

At some point parenting should hold more value and criticism than cartoons but it’s doesn’t. I digress…

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Nothing. That is the problem.  Please tell me you didn't go to UT.

Now I’m creating problems since I didn’t mention free speech and unionization? You’re definitely missing the whole premise of free speech. I graduated from UT, and by the look of your last two posts, were you one of those late ACC transfers?

1 minute ago, DaggerHorns said:

You’re definitely missing the whole premise of free speech. 

Why don't you try and fill in the gaps for us.  Start here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution) and work your way back to the post above where you struggle to defend cartoon characters.  

18 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Austin still at number 11 behind San Jose in terms of largest cities in the US. There's a change that's triggering and yet not imaginary.

No, I meant the University of Texas is a small city unto itself.  They have their own permitting and crowd rules (obviously City of Austin and State of Texas can supersede).  But if you think about all student enrollment (including professional development), all faculty and staff of all types, and that there's always a conference or large group of visitors/field trips, there's 80,000 people on that campus.  Nevermind when there's a large sporting event or concert on a weekday.  

So my point was even though the school could pull some shit when there's a controversial speaker and say, "Uh, the permitting process wasn't done correctly." when really they just don't want the negative publicity, they don't.  Because, as I've maintained, these students are better at discourse than we are.  But the thread was just a place for people to bitch about how these kids and professors today just wanna suppress 'muh freedoms, so I'll let them get back to it.  But always happy to discuss the good stuff happening on campus.  

14 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

These issues did not exist in previous generations?

Maybe ask someone who was openly gay, politically leftist, pro-labor, or anti-war during the first 90 years of the 20th century how things went for them. Was that not cancel culture?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Why don't you try and fill in the gaps for us.  Start here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution) and work your way back to the post above where you struggle to defend cartoon characters.  

You still haven’t addressed how I’ve somehow mistaken unionization and free speech. 

Now you’re just lobbing around nonsense trying desperately to be part of the conversation. Have a good day!

14 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

You still haven’t addressed how I’ve somehow mistaken unionization and free speech. 

Now you’re just lobbing around nonsense trying desperately to be part of the conversation. Have a good day!

Ok.  I understand you aren't willing to connect the gaps between the first amendment and your defense of cartoon characters - but yet I'm "definitely missing the whole premise of free speech." Noted.

26 minutes ago, statsman said:

I get that you don’t want to listen to him. Why do you want to not allow anyone else to listen to him?

People like Shapiro and even Joe Rogan are science deniers that are costing lives and disrupting democracy.  Their goal is to make outlandish statements to gain an audience.

58 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Maybe ask someone who was openly gay, politically leftist, pro-labor, or anti-war during the first 90 years of the 20th century how things went for them. Was that not cancel culture?

No, see, deciding not to hire queers, negroes, or women....that was just freedom, being exercised super-freedomly, with eagles and flags and triumphant music playing in the background.

And outfits like Coca Cola forbidding their employees to do things like endorse Pepsi products is communism, or fascism, or one of those -isms, I don't know which, so I'll just say "CANCEL CULTURE!" loudly over and over and over.

And you know, punishing/terminating a supervisor of a department that employs dozens of women just because he public said "women are just fucktoys with tits, and don't belong in the workplace".......CANCEL CULTURE!

Etc. etc.  "CANCEL CULTURE" is code for "why can't I say the n-word whenever I want, and why can't I degrade women however I want, and why can't I call all mexicans dirty spic wetbacks whenever I want?  Huh?  CANCEL CULTURE!"

Yeah, any mechanism that exists in society can be abused.  Someone can face repercussions for something that's relatively meaningless, harmless, and was said with no ill intent.  Your problem there is not with consequences or "cancel culture" -- your problem is with it being improperly applied.  Gripe about that, in connection with a specific case, then maybe we won't accurately call you a whiny tittybaby who hates consequences.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

It wasn’t right then and it’s not right now. No one should be persecuted or “canceled” for their beliefs. If you don’t like what someone has to say, ignore them, just like the crazy religious guy telling everyone they’re going to hell or PETA members protesting furs. That’s what’s been great about this country is that if you don’t like something, you can absolutely change things through protests and movements. Suppose civil rights leaders were silenced because the mainstream didn’t like what they had to say.

Just because you don’t agree with something someone says doesn’t mean it’s not dangerous to silence their voices.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, any mechanism that exists in society can be abused.  Someone can face repercussions for something that's relatively meaningless, harmless, and was said with no ill intent.  Your problem there is not with consequences or "cancel culture" -- your problem is with it being improperly applied.  Gripe about that, in connection with a specific case, then maybe we won't accurately call you a whiny tittybaby who hates consequences.

If everyone would just check with the meaningless, harmless, and no ill intent bright line repository we'd be good then.

14 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

It wasn’t right then and it’s not right now. No one should be persecuted or “canceled” for their beliefs. If you don’t like what someone has to say, ignore them, just like the crazy religious guy telling everyone they’re going to hell or PETA members protesting furs. That’s what’s been great about this country is that if you don’t like something, you can absolutely change things through protests and movements. Suppose civil rights leaders were silenced because the mainstream didn’t like what they had to say.

Just because you don’t agree with something someone says doesn’t mean it’s not dangerous to silence their voices.

gettyimages-53366586.jpg

7826090_image_0-af5cfd6403e0edb6e59ed550

07malcolmx-superJumbo.jpg

Edited by Celery Man

30 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Suppose civil rights leaders were silenced because the mainstream didn’t like what they had to say.

I was actually listening to Tone Loc this morning.

Didn’t known I was going to read Tone Deaf right after.
I’m sure this HAS to be an honest inarticulate phrase… and I’m just busting balls.
But damn.

That was a wild thing to say. 

24 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Suppose civil rights leaders were silenced because the mainstream didn’t like what they had to say.

Fucking irony is stone-cold DEAD.  They were beaten, imprisoned, and murdered.  Regularly.

Today, an assistant manager of a business, which has black employees and customers, publicly calls black people the n-word and "monkeys," and he......is no longer employed at that business.  

And WTB thinks that's the same thing.  Jesus.

It is not a BAD thing for society to hold people accountable for being shitty.  I don't want to patronize a business, or work under, a boss who calls mexicans dirty spic wetbacks.  That business will get zero of my dollars.  And I will encourage all of my friends to do the same -- stop patronizing that business.  I'd be fucking stupid NOT to do that.  I'd be excusing and supporting my abuser.  That would be irrational and insane.  And the business owner knows that -- he would wisely terminate that manager quickly.  And WTB has a problem with that.  Yeah, man....we disagree on this one.  Like 180 degree disagreement.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fucking irony is stone-cold DEAD.  They were beaten, imprisoned, and murdered.  Regularly.

Today, an assistant manager of a business, which has black employees and customers, publicly calls black people the n-word and "monkeys," and he......is no longer employed at that business.  

And WTB thinks that's the same thing.  Jesus.

It is not a BAD thing for society to hold people accountable for being shitty.  I don't want to patronize a business, or work under, a boss who calls mexicans dirty spic wetbacks.  That business will get zero of my dollars.  And I will encourage all of my friends to do the same -- stop patronizing that business.  I'd be fucking stupid NOT to do that.  I'd be excusing and supporting my abuser.  That would be irrational and insane.  And the business owner knows that -- he would wisely terminate that manager quickly.  And WTB has a problem with that.  Yeah, man....we disagree on this one.  Like 180 degree disagreement.

If you want to go on Twitter and bring someone’s comments or actions to light, I absolutely think you should. If that results in someone getting fired for making insensitive remarks, fine with me. I don’t give a shit as long as there is a platform for someone to have an opinion.