Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

3 hours ago, bullet said:

UK isn't an Ohio St., Texas or USC.  Talk to Alabama playing FCS opponents.  Vandy, MSU and UK get a pass.  Alabama's 2009 team went unbeaten playing 8 SEC games and Chattanooga, North Texas, FIU and Virginia Tech.  They usually don't even play good FCS teams.  The last couple of years have been Mercer and Austin Peay.

Bama scheduling FCS teams is truly pathetic- no doubt.

But Stoops can’t have it both ways- he’s improved UK to the point that he wants to be known as a football school, so he can’t then turn around and act like they’re Vandy.

They have more resources by far than UL.  It’s laughable that he wants to drop them so they can schedule another cupcake.

I’d say the same thing if I was one of their boosters or had season tickets there.

Edited by USC Traveler

5 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

If you are going to get rid of crowing a conference champion, then what's the point of even having conferences?  TV slots?

College football regular season intensity is already taking a bit of a hit with the expanded playoff (which I'm fine with, don't misread what I'm saying).  But if you take away the conference championship variable, then you take away even more of the appeal and fervor towards the college football season.  At that point, might as well just start the 64 team bracket in September and turn the entire season into one big tournament bracket.

Conferences matter for more than just TV and revenue.  That championship means something.

That's exactly what I'm saying. If you're in the playoff, you're going to make every step to make sure you win. Fans used to love Bowl Games, but they're just an audition for everyone not going pro now.

This idea that conference championships matter is a remnant. Look at TCU this year. How many folk outside hard-core fans care that they won absolute butkis? They got to the game. Conference champion was...Baylor? Maybe?

30 minutes ago, YouLoveMyPenises said:

That's exactly what I'm saying. If you're in the playoff, you're going to make every step to make sure you win. Fans used to love Bowl Games, but they're just an audition for everyone not going pro now.

This idea that conference championships matter is a remnant. Look at TCU this year. How many folk outside hard-core fans care that they won absolute butkis? They got to the game. Conference champion was...Baylor? Maybe?

Byes matter. Why the fuck is it so hard to fucking get that through your head? Conference championships matter regardless of playoff outcome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, bullet said:

UK isn't an Ohio St., Texas or USC.  Talk to Alabama playing FCS opponents.  Vandy, MSU and UK get a pass.  Alabama's 2009 team went unbeaten playing 8 SEC games and Chattanooga, North Texas, FIU and Virginia Tech.  They usually don't even play good FCS teams.  The last couple of years have been Mercer and Austin Peay.

But, but they’ve profited on being Ohio adjacent. Ohio recruits that would rather play in the SEC than the Big Ten have a short drive to Lexington. Stoops to his credit, and I’m sure his Ohio roots, has taken full advantage to above average results. Ohio recruiting is plenty big for tOSU, Michigan, and Kentucky. 

I think UK has some facilities/attendance issues, but the tide seems to be turning in that state. Kentucky has football fever like the rest of us. 

They should play Louisville annually to grow the sport in their state. 

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Calling West Virginia and Virginia Tech majors in 1977 is a stretch, right? 

Not a stretch with WVU.  Virginia Tech was VPI and not a major in the 60s.  By late 80s they were a major.  They were kind of transitioning up in the 70s.  They had left the Southern Conference by the late 60s.

56 minutes ago, bullet said:

365 interviews Jason Scheer.

No news, just his interpretation of things.  About 15 minutes with first 8 or so on realignment.  Rest general Pac 12.

TLDL: 

• a few mill and the same exposure will be business as usual
  • $5m+ and all streaming and the rats will leave the ship
  • Pac tried to get presidents to come out in support, AZ pres said, "we all good if the deal is equal to the Big 12s and is done by the 15th" to set a line in the sand to leave
  • One of Colorado or Arizona will jump first the moment they're worried and it will start a cascade, likely including ASU at that point.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, bullet said:

Not a stretch with WVU.  Virginia Tech was VPI and not a major in the 60s.  By late 80s they were a major.  They were kind of transitioning up in the 70s.  They had left the Southern Conference by the late 60s.

Virginia Tech had not been ranked in the AP poll in over 20 years in 1977 - they appeared in a single poll in the 37 years from 1956 and 1993 (the final poll of 1986).

At least WVU was sporadically ranked in the 1970s.

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

But, but they’ve profited on being Ohio adjacent. Ohio recruits that would rather play in the SEC than the Big Ten have a short drive to Lexington. Stoops to his credit, and I’m sure his Ohio roots, has taken full advantage to above average results. Ohio recruiting is plenty big for tOSU, Michigan, and Kentucky. 

I think UK has some facilities/attendance issues, but the tide seems to be turning in that state. Kentucky has football fever like the rest of us. 

They should play Louisville annually to grow the sport in their state. 

When Stoops was hired UK made overdue improvements to the facilities and increased coaching salaries. He has won 3 of the last 5 against Florida. When he arrived UK had lost 25 times in a row against Florida and most of those games were massacres. The only coach that has done better here is Bear Bryant. The boast is purely about recruiting. In the past other football coaches would recruit against Kentucky by saying we only cared about basketball and that unfortunately was true until Stoops arrived and got UK to invest in football. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, John80 said:

When Stoops was hired UK made overdue improvements to the facilities and increased coaching salaries. He has won 3 of the last 5 against Florida. When he arrived UK had lost 25 times in a row against Florida and most of those games were massacres. The only coach that has done better here is Bear Bryant. The boast is purely about recruiting. In the past other football coaches would recruit against Kentucky by saying we only cared about basketball and that unfortunately was true until Stoops arrived and got UK to invest in football. 

It's all relative too.

Attendance wise, Kentucky is in the "bottom half" of the SEC but it would probably be top 3 in the PAC/ACC/new Big 12.

Edited by gatormarc

11 hours ago, YouLoveMyPenises said:

If you don't think football conference championship games matter then that's your shitty opinion to have, but don't act like it should be any sort of popular opinion. The hardware that goes in the trophy room that you get to show to recruits, the giant ring you get to wear into recruits houses right before the early signing period while other coaches are having to game plan along with recruit, the extra week of rest, the time afforded for players to not have to worry about game prep while taking finals, the guarantee of not having to play on the road or get a more difficult draw because you're seeded lower in the playoff, only having to win 3 playoff games instead of 4, the money paid in bonuses to the coaches for the the championship win & likely making it to the quarterfinals, and whatever else I missed that people can think of.

Fans don't typically like watching teams tank on purpose, but when you tank in a conference championship game I couldn't imagine the outrage. And where exactly would it stop? You sit the QB because he's the star but what about the LT, WR, LB, CB? What's the locker room attitude when you work all year only for the coaches to decide that one individual (or 2 or 3) are too important to risk in the fucking conference championship game so everything they preached about being a team, sacrificing for the program, playing every game like it's the most important game ever, & everything else coaches say to motivate & create team chemistry & unity was just a bunch of bullshit? 

Edit: You probably wouldn't have a ring to wear into recruits house just the bragging rights, but you get the idea.

Edited by hook me
  • Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Just posting because it shows the Colorado BOR agenda for Monday's meeting. Legal advice could be in regards to any number of things.

Yeah for all we know it could be something involving Deion running off a scholarship player or something.

11 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Would the BoR be involved in that type of problem? Most AD's have an NCAA compliance person on staff, right?

Well, my comment may have been a bit too flippant for the context.  I'm just saying it could be any number of things related to athletic contracts and legal issues.  Odds are it's probably conference realignment, but when you have a high profile coach like Sanders who may tend to act first and think later, who knows?

4 hours ago, John80 said:

I lived in Louisville for about a year back in '05 and went over to Lexington as often as I could. Mostly for horses and basketball, but I went to a few football games as well. It seemed like UK had decent attendance but people were mostly there to tailgate and socialize. The difference in the stadium before and after halftime was significant. Maybe that's to be expected, but I will give UK fans credit for still showing up late in season despite how bad things got. I went to the Tennessee game, which was going to be a massacre, and the place was still pretty full at kickoff. 

2 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Yeah for all we know it could be something involving Deion running off a scholarship player or something.

The NCAA has a rule that all new head coaches can get rid of any player they want for the first 12 months they are on the job.  The deal is the coach can kick them off the team for any reason but the school must keep them on scholarship as long as they keep up their grades.  These players can also enter the portal if they want to keep playing elsewhere and then the old school is no longer on the hook.  I know it's something Riley did with a good amount of players, some of whom entered the portal and some of whom decided to just call it a career while they finished their degree at USC, though I'm not sure how much Sanders did it.  It's more likely the players Sanders would have cut using this method wouldn't be wanted anywhere else since he inherited a rock bottom roster and so they'd be more likely to remain at Colorado on their full ride.  That could be a significant sunk cost for an athletic department that is struggling financially, has an uncertain future and is paying buyouts for the staff they just fired.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

The NCAA has a rule that all new head coaches can get rid of any player they want for the first 12 months they are on the job.  The deal is the coach can kick them off the team for any reason but the school must keep them on scholarship as long as they keep up their grades.  These players can also enter the portal if they want to keep playing elsewhere and then the old school is no longer on the hook.  I know it's something Riley did with a good amount of players, some of whom entered the portal and some of whom decided to just call it a career while they finished their degree at USC, though I'm not sure how much Sanders did it.  It's more likely the players Sanders would have cut using this method wouldn't be wanted anywhere else since he inherited a rock bottom roster and so they'd be more likely to remain at Colorado on their full ride.  That could be a significant sunk cost for an athletic department that is struggling financially, has an uncertain future and is paying buyouts for the staff they just fired.

They have very little to no buffer.

They didn't even have they money they promised Sanders. The AD admitted in December that they were still working on how to actually pay him.

https://news.yahoo.com/deion-sanders-offered-29-5m-215627349.html

Edited by gatormarc

5 hours ago, hook me said:

If you don't think football conference championship games matter then that's your shitty opinion to have, but don't act like it should be any sort of popular opinion. The hardware that goes in the trophy room that you get to show to recruits, the giant ring you get to wear into recruits houses right before the early signing period while other coaches are having to game plan along with recruit, the extra week of rest, the time afforded for players to not have to worry about game prep while taking finals, the guarantee of not having to play on the road or get a more difficult draw because you're seeded lower in the playoff, only having to win 3 playoff games instead of 4, the money paid in bonuses to the coaches for the the championship win & likely making it to the quarterfinals, and whatever else I missed that people can think of.

Fans don't typically like watching teams tank on purpose, but when you tank in a conference championship game I couldn't imagine the outrage. And where exactly would it stop? You sit the QB because he's the star but what about the LT, WR, LB, CB? What's the locker room attitude when you work all year only for the coaches to decide that one individual (or 2 or 3) are too important to risk in the fucking conference championship game so everything they preached about being a team, sacrificing for the program, playing every game like it's the most important game ever, & everything else coaches say to motivate & create team chemistry & unity was just a bunch of bullshit? 

Edit: You probably wouldn't have a ring to wear into recruits house just the bragging rights, but you get the idea.

I'm simply saying that look at TCU. They won absolutely nothing this year.

But you know why they're doing so well? They won a playoff game.

Years ago we were outraged McCaffrey sat out a bowl game. Why would players, coaches, administrators,  or even fans at a certain point care about an outdated Seeding game?

3 minutes ago, YouLoveMyPenises said:

Years ago we were outraged McCaffrey sat out a bowl game. Why would players, coaches, administrators,  or even fans at a certain point care about an outdated Seeding game?

BECAUSE YOU GET A BYE IF YOU WIN THE FUCKING CONFERENCE! And I have no fucking clue why you keep trying to compare the playoff come 2024 to the current model when it's a completely different setup with incentives for winning conferences tied into it.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 4

36 minutes ago, YouLoveMyPenises said:

If you don't want to engage with any of the 10+ reasons people have given you as to why teams & fans would/should care then stop asking the damn question. "A player may get hurt". We could lose Ewers, Banks, Worthy, & Murphy in the Spring game but we're still playing it. We lost Neyor & Angilau in fall camp last year, should we not have fall camp to prevent injuries? We lost Ewers in Q1 vs. Bama & he missed the next 3 games - should he not have played? Should he not play @ Bama this year since we could go 12-1 & still make the playoffs?

Also, your TCU example makes no sense because they actually tried to win the Big 12 & lost in a really good game. How does the narrative of their Championship Game loss change if they sat their star players for the Big 12 Championship? "They sat all their star players & forfeited the Big 12 championship just to get blown out by UGA?" Yeah, sounds smart. Also, it's fucking TCU & they were happy just to be there given their record from the year before.  

Your example of McCaffrey is equally stupid because that was a top 10 pick that decided to skip the fucking Sun Bowl not a coach benching players in the Conference Championship game. Stop the idiocy, have a nice weekend, & try again next week if you come up with something better than injuries in a violent sport, TCU, & CMC.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, YouLoveMyPenises said:

Well, you're kind of making our point as well and I don't think you realize it.

TCU won a playoff game...that's it.  They brought home no hardware.  Now, if their coaches hadn't gotten stupid, they could've won the Big 12 championship game.  Don't you think they wish they had won that game?  Big 12 Championship trophy in the case, Big 12 champs billboards all over DFW, put it on the stadium, etc.?  Do you think they really wish there hadn't been a Big 12 championship game??  That game didn't prevent them from winning their semi-final playoff game, and it sure as heck had no bearing on them getting their asses whooped by Georgia.  

You could make the case that the Big 12 championship game screwed them because they went undefeated...and in the past (SWC), doing that would win you the conference.  But when you get to 12 teams, you have to have a championship game, and there will always need to be one going forward.  

6 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Well, you're kind of making our point as well and I don't think you realize it.

TCU won a playoff game...that's it.  They brought home no hardware.  Now, if their coaches hadn't gotten stupid, they could've won the Big 12 championship game.  Don't you think they wish they had won that game?  Big 12 Championship trophy in the case, Big 12 champs billboards all over DFW, put it on the stadium, etc.?  Do you think they really wish there hadn't been a Big 12 championship game??  That game didn't prevent them from winning their semi-final playoff game, and it sure as heck had no bearing on them getting their asses whooped by Georgia.  

You could make the case that the Big 12 championship game screwed them because they went undefeated...and in the past (SWC), doing that would win you the conference.  But when you get to 12 teams, you have to have a championship game, and there will always need to be one going forward.  

7i724q.jpg

Just now, Plorant said:

7i724q.jpg

Yeah, I meant to go back and edit that, but I waited too late.  I left out the line that was in my head..."The Big 12 has chosen to have a championship game to determine it's champion, and in the future..."

I know I'm getting old...I think I type the stuff that's in my head, and then I go back and see that I didn't.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Nate said:

Yeah, I meant to go back and edit that, but I waited too late.  I left out the line that was in my head..."The Big 12 has chosen to have a championship game to determine it's champion, and in the future..."

I know I'm getting old...I think I type the stuff that's in my head, and then I go back and see that I didn't.

Hah I was just messing.  I just like to point out the absurdity of having a conference championship game in a conference that plays a round robin schedule.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Well, my comment may have been a bit too flippant for the context.  I'm just saying it could be any number of things related to athletic contracts and legal issues.  Odds are it's probably conference realignment, but when you have a high profile coach like Sanders who may tend to act first and think later, who knows?

Well they had this before and someone claimed it had to do with the Comcast underpayment.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

BECAUSE YOU GET A BYE IF YOU WIN THE FUCKING CONFERENCE! And I have no fucking clue why you keep trying to compare the playoff come 2024 to the current model when it's a completely different setup with incentives for winning conferences tied into it.

Like totally this.   

younger-tv-younger.gif

Edited by Hurtlocker

I just want to point out that it’s ridiculous that TCU didn’t get any formal recognition for winning the round robin outright.  They really should have been Big 12 champs, but the networks insist on a completely pointless rematch.  I’ll always be bitter that the 10 team Big 12 didn’t recognize a regular season champ after adding the CCG.  I fail to see how it’s any different, logically, than how they have a regular season champ and tournament champ in hoops.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I just want to point out that it’s ridiculous that TCU didn’t get any formal recognition for winning the round robin outright.  They really should have been Big 12 champs, but the networks insist on a completely pointless rematch.  I’ll always be bitter that the 10 team Big 12 didn’t recognize a regular season champ after adding the CCG.  I fail to see how it’s any different, logically, than how they have a regular season champ and tournament champ in hoops.

Well logically the big 12 tournament champ is more celebrated than the regular season champ in basketball. They don’t cut down a net during the regular season, do they?

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Well logically the big 12 tournament champ is more celebrated than the regular season champ in basketball. They don’t cut down a net during the regular season, do they?

Maybe it's just me but I personally have thought that being regular season champ was more important than tournament champ. Goes for Baseball too since those tournaments are such tossups with weather delays.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They do.  I think the regular season title is more recognized in basketball than the conference tournament title.

Or maybe that’s just KU and Iowa fans trying trivialize any ISU accomplishments.

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

If these 5 WAC-10 rivalries are so meaningful and historic, why aren't the networks willing to pay for them? He asked knowingly

That tweet is hilarious.

It really shows the depth of delusion that a lot of WAC10 types live in.

UW vs Eugene Community College is top 10 nationally?😂

In no particular order, rivalries above UW-UO historically and at present (UT vs aggy and Arky coming back in ‘24):

USC-ND

USC-UCLA

RRS

UT-aggy

UT-Arky 

Iron Bowl

The Game

FSU-Miami

UF-FSU

UGA-UF

UGA-Auburn

LSU-Bama

OSU-PSU

UM-MSU

Bedlam

Tenn-UF

Bama-Tenn

That’s 17 off the top of my head without putting any thought into it.

So glad to be leaving the WAC10 in the dust.

If these 5 WAC-10 rivalries are so meaningful and historic, why aren't the networks willing to pay for them? He asked knowingly

LOL what a dipshit.

Has this guy been asleep during all of the realignment of the past 12 years? Rivalries SHOULD drive CFB but they quite clearly DON'T.

Rivalries are important to FANS, but the powers that be don't give two flying fucks about rivalries if they can make marginally more money from joining a new conference.

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They do.  I think the regular season title is more recognized in basketball than the conference tournament title.

Or maybe that’s just KU and Iowa fans trying trivialize any ISU accomplishments.

I think it depends on the conference.  In good conferences the regular season title is more important.  Some teams that have their March Madness seed locked up don't play with the same intensity in the conference tournament as they did in the regular season.  The Big 12 playing a perfectly balanced H&H schedule while they were 10 teams also added more emphasis to the regular season title.  In one bid conferences the tournament champion matters more.

I look forward to seeing USC's first snow game in Madison, Ann Arbor, or Columbus.

Outside of California the weather around the Pac 12 sucks.  I look forward to never playing another 105 degree game in Arizona or high altitude game in Colorado and Utah or fog game with a visibility of 3 yards in Oregon or freezing rain game in Washington.  The last two probably aren't nevers but it will be nice getting a reprieve from crappy PNW weather while it lasts.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

I look forward to seeing USC's first snow game in Madison, Ann Arbor, or Columbus.

I would love that.  I grew up playing in snow games, and they’re awesome to watch on tv.

I have my doubts that USC is on the road that much late in the season, though.

I’m thinking BIG schools’ admin and fans will be looking forward to coming to LA when the weather is starting to get cold in the Midwest.

Can’t wait for the 2024 BIG schedule release to see how it plays out.

We get to see who everyone’s fixed rivals are first though.

55 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

I think it depends on the conference.  In good conferences the regular season title is more important.  Some teams that have their March Madness seed locked up don't play with the same intensity in the conference tournament as they did in the regular season.  The Big 12 playing a perfectly balanced H&H schedule while they were 10 teams also added more emphasis to the regular season title.  In one bid conferences the tournament champion matters more.

Outside of California the weather around the Pac 12 sucks.  I look forward to never playing another 105 degree game in Arizona or high altitude game in Colorado and Utah or fog game with a visibility of 3 yards in Oregon or freezing rain game in Washington.  The last two probably aren't nevers but it will be nice getting a reprieve from crappy PNW weather while it lasts.

I’d bet that the Zeros from Eugene Community College never get in.

UW has a much better case, but they’re 50/50 imo depending on how the BIG does in raiding the ACC.  If BIG gets all the schools they’ll want, they won’t need any other WAC10 schools, other than adding Stanford when ND joins.

Edited by USC Traveler

3 hours ago, USC Traveler said:

That tweet is hilarious.

In no particular order, rivalries above UW-UO historically and at present (UT vs aggy and Arky coming back in ‘24):

USC-ND

USC-UCLA

RRS

UT-aggy

UT-Arky 

Iron Bowl

The Game

FSU-Miami

UF-FSU

UGA-UF

UGA-Auburn

LSU-Bama

OSU-PSU

UM-MSU

Bedlam

Tenn-UF

Bama-Tenn

Really.  Very delusional.  And if he wants to talk historic, Baylor-TCU has been played 118 times despite the post SWC gap.  Believe they were 2nd place among FBS at the time the SWC broke up.  "The Game" has only been played 116 times.

16 minutes ago, bullet said:

Really.  Very delusional.  And if he wants to talk historic, Baylor-TCU has been played 118 times despite the post SWC gap.  Believe they were 2nd place among FBS at the time the SWC broke up.  "The Game" has only been played 116 times.

Part of it is being delusional, and part of it is selling the product you've got. Coca Cola may be the most popular soft drink, but if you're selling Squirt, Squirt's the best damned soft drink in the world. 

Edited by Richard Kimball

3 hours ago, USC Traveler said:

Can’t wait for the 2024 BIG schedule release to see how it plays out.

We get to see who everyone’s fixed rivals are first though.

UCLA, Nebraska, and Iowa. Corn!

The B1G will probably give USC and UCLA one of the big boys, too - Ohio St, Michigan or Pedo St.

10 hours ago, USC Traveler said:

That tweet is hilarious.

USC-ND

USC-UCLA

RRS

UT-aggy

UT-Arky 

Iron Bowl

The Game

FSU-Miami

UF-FSU

UGA-UF

UGA-Auburn

LSU-Bama

OSU-PSU

UM-MSU

Bedlam

Tenn-UF

Bama-Tenn

Copy pastad to him this 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

UCLA, Nebraska, and Iowa. Corn!

The B1G will probably give USC and UCLA one of the big boys, too - Ohio St, Michigan or Pedo St.

I haven’t put a ton of thought into this but yeah, USC/UCLA are obvious. Then they’d pair one (likely UCLA) with Nebraska as the Western most member that has no significant history with the Big Ten. After that though…

You assume they need to get at least one of the Big 3 (UM/OSU/Pedo) on USC’s schedule so they have a guaranteed USC vs 2 of those 3 each year but I’m not sure how they’ll swing that.

Michigan: Ohio St, Michigan St each year
Ohio St: Michigan and Penn State each year
Penn St: Ohio St and Rutger and Maryland each year

I don’t see them cutting off Rutger/Maryland from Penn St, nor do I see them overloading Ohio St/Michigan with anymore big games but something will have to give.

You don’t add USC to your conference and NOT pair them with another blueblood as a rival.

Best guess it they give them Penn State and have Rutgers drop their annual Penn St game for Ohio St or Michigan.