Battery powered lawn mowers?

On 8/5/2022 at 12:28 PM, pacmanmakesitrain said:

I got an eGo lawnmower for this season on sale at Lowes. I converted to a battery trimmer and blower a few years ago and figured it was time to completely eliminate gas. The concept of the electric mower (no gas, lighter, low maintenance, much quieter) had me sold. At this point I’m ready to throw that $500 hunk of shit in the trash and go back to gas. It leaves random blades of St Augustine all over my yard after each mow. I’ve tried narrower passes, walking slower and not using the self propel. Nothing seems to work and after combing through some forums, it appears this is a known issue. 

Old post but I just saw this thread - I have the same problem with my eGo. I've got the dual blade version, had them sharpened by a lawnmower shop, still get random blades here and there. Annoying. I'd say I still like the mower overall, but if I were reviewing it, it'd be more like 3-stars instead of 5-stars.

• 3 months later...

Pulling the trigger on a battery-powered mower from Home Depot today (Father's Day gift cards, holla!). Based on this thread, I've decided to go Ryobi. My front yard is pretty small and that's the only area I need to mow. I can get one for $399 that includes the charger. I can get that model with self-propel feature for $50 more (it's $50 off). Should I mess with the self-propel model? Worth it? We will not be in the house more than the next couple of years and might have more of a yard at the next house (who knows).

23 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Pulling the trigger on a battery-powered mower from Home Depot today (Father's Day gift cards, holla!). Based on this thread, I've decided to go Ryobi. My front yard is pretty small and that's the only area I need to mow. I can get one for $399 that includes the charger. I can get that model with self-propel feature for $50 more (it's $50 off). Should I mess with the self-propel model? Worth it? We will not be in the house more than the next couple of years and might have more of a yard at the next house (who knows).

I got the self-propel one, but honestly, I rarely use the feature. The mower is so light that pushing it is easy, even going up hills. When I have turned on the self-propelled function on level ground, it moves too quick.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

I'll 2nd not needing self propelled. The battery mowers are so much lighter. I can mow my yard in about 30 minutes and I've never missed not having self propelled (had self propelled on my prior gas model)

• Like 1

Yeah, rarely, rarely use self propel on our ego, have noticed that if I have it set too low the battery life isn't as long as if I have it set to 5 higher cut.  There at one point I couldn't finish side yard without having to recharge the battery.  The cut setting may not matter for battery life but if has improved since raising it and I do like the quietness of it and not dealing with gas, oil, etc... 

I got the ryobi 20 inch 3 years ago this July. It works well for a small yard, get about 1 hour of self propelled mowing per charge but it is very flimsy. Self propel gear stripped about 18 months in but it’s a really light mower and so said fuck it but I had to periodically re-tighten nuts and bolts on the handle assembly. Eventually I would forget and wound up losing some from each side while mowing.

Also the handle is collapsible and has to be fully extended and locked for the blades to spin. Last fall began having trouble getting it to stay in the locked position and this spring it stopped locking so no go

They have a 3 year warranty for everything but the battery so I took it in and the guy told me turn around is at least 6 weeks due to parts issues so it’s probably a common issue for them. Ryobi wound up shipping me a brand new mower in the box at 4 weeks so that was nice. 

My dad recently got the larger dual battery model and it seems more sturdy but is around 800.  Has the feel of a gas mower deck and handle

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I couldn't resist.  I went back to Lowes and grabbed it.  

I have 2 acres.  2 nice lawns, and a lot of weeds.   I'll use the gas toro for the weeds and the electric for the lawns.   

Charging the battery now.  I'm going to do a test mow as soon as it's charged.

• Hook 'Em 1

I got an eGo lawnmower for this season on sale at Lowes. I converted to a battery trimmer and blower a few years ago and figured it was time to completely eliminate gas. The concept of the electric mower (no gas, lighter, low maintenance, much quieter) had me sold. At this point I’m ready to throw that $500 hunk of shit in the trash and go back to gas. It leaves random blades of St Augustine all over my yard after each mow. I’ve tried narrower passes, walking slower and not using the self propel. Nothing seems to work and after combing through some forums, it appears this is a known issue. 

Same. Sent mine to HD for service and they accidentally destroyed it so they gave me a new Honda. It was the tits. Until someone broke into my garage 6 months ago and stole it.

• 3 weeks later...